Barnabas Health Employee Reviews

Par
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 30, 2015
very busy job. not enough pay. sometimes management asks you to work doubles. patients are horrible. Pay is average. Use this as a part time job to find other well-paying jobs. no job advancement. Nurses and other staff look down upon you. Only plus is competitive pay and shift differential in your paychecks
Pros
sometimes slow days
Cons
sometimes no breaks
great place to learn and gain experience in the medical and financial field.
PATIENT FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 30, 2016
I've been working in St Barnabas for more than 15 years and my experience working there have teach me how to work in a busy, fast and crazy environment due to be located in the center of The Bronx where most of the population is based in poverty and diversity. In my experience i have to say that i am really grateful for everything that i learned in St Barnabas and for all the friends and coworkers that i met.
If you live in The Bronx NY, i recommend St Barnabas Hospital to work and visit as a patient too.
Pros
payment flexibility and excellent trauma center
Cons
poor employment appreciation
Professional and Productive
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Branch, NJDecember 4, 2015
It was a team effort in providing an excellent patient care experience. It provided professional growth and great experience in medical administration. Unfortunately personal and professional for management was cloudy. Too many personal preferences and not professional ones.
Pros
employee appreciation lunch annually
Cons
Promotion is not based on your ability but who you know
good entry level position
Grants and Operations Intern (Current Employee) –  West Orange, NJMarch 24, 2016
very nice place to work. great networking opportunity. Excellent care service
Staff is attentive to patients. Learned to multitask and applied skills such as relationship management when dealing with difficult individual. Learn how to delegate and be a team leader.
Pros
flexible
Cons
high turnover
working with the physicians and patients are great
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJSeptember 27, 2015
This hospital is a great place to work and great benefits. Just be aware of the department you are in and who is in management. Very bad experience with the practice manager, abusive and a bully to the employees. When it was reported to human resouces, nothing was done to stop the bulling behavior, however, company policy states there is zero tolerance for that kind of behavior. If you are fortunate to get a position in an area with great coworkers and management, this is definately a great place to work and retire.
Pros
BH over all great work environment and benefits
Cons
Managers need strong management training to treat coworkers better
Things are starting to go downhill...
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 23, 2016
With the (relatively) new nursing director, who has absolutely no previous clinical experience, things have taken a turn for the worse. It seems like this administrator goes out of their way to create scheduling conflicts... Why have employees mark off days they need off if it's going to be patently ignored? Also, they started overloading floors with patient. A floor that previously had a cap of 19 patients went up to 27 with no increase in personnel... and this was a specialty floor!

But other than that, working on the unit is enjoyable. The nurses are caring and compassionate and a joy to work with. The nursing assistants, especially the veterans, are knowledgeable and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job was morning rounds; getting the chance to interact with patients one on one was always a highlight. The hardest part of the jobs were the nights where we were understaffed and over capacity.
Pros
Good vacation policy, great pay, multiple opportunities to learn
Cons
questionable choices in administrators, understaffed
Tech savy, attention to detail, great costumer service skills
Radiology Clerk (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 30, 2016
A typical work day consists of coming into a very busy environment. Days here are typically very hectic, the multiple phone lines are constantly ringing. I enjoy working here because I get the chance to help many patients who cannot do certain things for themselves, such as getting their proper documents,providing them transportation, etc...
Pros
Coworkers, benefits
Cons
Hourly rate, inconvenient schedule
good place to work has a nice gym to stay in shape
Environmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 6, 2015
A nice place to work. great opportunity for advancement. very friendly environment. nice coworkers very good staff, the best part of St Barnabas was the opportunity to go to school advance.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
some times under staff
My first job and opportunity to learn and advance my career
Assistant Supervisor, Credit Department (Former Employee) –  Long Branch, NJOctober 18, 2015
I enjoyed my work at MMC. They gave me consistant opportunites to learn new things and advance in the department. My career would not have gone as far as I did had it not been for my training and encouragement at MMC. Management there was always supportive and complimentary. I was always made to feel my performance was valuable to the organization.
Pros
Always treated lke a valuable employee
Cons
Comfortable job with healthcare potential
CLERICAL AIDE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2015
St. Barnabas, as well as other hospitals offer their employees healthcare benefits and opportunities. However, at St. Barnabas it simply depends on your department. If you are working in a department such as the volunteer one you'll encounter more unprofessional people who are there to help but aren't typically the best choice to you.
It's a great welcoming place, free lunch for employees and volunteer and management is friendly, I just wish it was more productively active and fun to be in.
Pros
Free Lunches, Great chance to meet people, friendly staff
Cons
Boring work area
Great place to at
Sr. Lead Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  2 Crescent Place, oceanport, NJMarch 23, 2016
Hard working team work nothing but the best I learn patients bring profits. Management respect you. Everyone come to work happy at lease the people where I work. Hardest adjusting to the slow pace of work. family atmosphere
Pros
Good plase to at
Cons
N/A
not just a work place its like home
Assisting doctors (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 7, 2016
a typical day at work would be dealing with patient needs answering calls were always very busy but we always manage to smile I learned that it isn't what you do its how you do it my co workers were like my second family the hardest part of the job is not being able to save everyone but the most enjoyable part is changing lives for the better
Pros
saving lives
Cons
no benefits
Level 1 Trauma Center with Productive and Effective Staff to do job well.
Chief Technologist (Current Employee) –  New YorkJune 22, 2015
A typical day work includes all blood bank tests, T/S,ABSC,AG Typing,HDN/RHIG studies,DAT & QCs. Senior Tech and Management need to be familiar more with the Quality Assurance, , Quality Control, Antibody Resolution, Statisics, Training and the Fulfillment of AABB, NYS and CAP Requirements.

Since it's a Level 1 Trauma Center, we need to have the policy, staff, and resources to deal with the Emergency, Busy,Trauma situations.
Pros
Competitive wage scale and benefits.
Cons
Routine lunch time or shift time can be altered by Trauma situations.
My experience at St. Barnabas
RECEPTIONIST/SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Valencia, PAFebruary 27, 2016
My day was busy and very active.
I learned to multi-task proficiently.
Management was on hand at all times.
The hardest part of my job was leaving.
The most enjoyable part was the staff and people I met through-out my employment.
Pros
The people.
Cons
The commute.
Fun productive work environment I enjoyed working for Monmouth medical Center I miss it
PCA/CNA (Former Employee) –  Long Branch, NJJuly 26, 2016
It's the same as Monmouth medical Center at Barnabas healthmy feelings are the same .it was a great company to work for great benefits and play appreciation employee appreciation gifts employee cookouts is a great place to work
Pros
Sometimes
Cons
To 15 minutes and 30 to 45 minute lunch break
Okay job out of college with benefits not somewhere to stay
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Belleville, NJAugust 10, 2015
The job was very positive in the beginning but as you worked longer the very large issues of the job which seemed like something you were just overwhelmed with due to being new come out as major problems. I had 5 different unit managers in the one year i worked there and my unit and shift specifically where constantly understaffed under the unit's specified patient to staff ration of 5 to 1. adding on to this the involuntary unit which had another manager who was there for my whole year showed constant favoritism taking staff from our unit to over staff her own unit. she also helped pick most of the managers which ran my unit adding to her ability to move staff as she saw fit.
The benefits of the job for even part time workers (Medical and 401k) are very generous coming right out of college but the stress and mismanagement make it a place to try and learn from but not to stay.
Cons
Constant management switches, under staffing, unmotivated workers
Fast paced, poor management
Volunteer/PCA/Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  Long Branch, NJMay 13, 2015
Everyday has a routine but can not always be followed at the exact expected time.
I learned that you need to be careful what you say.
Management is not what they have been hyped up to be. the management staff is very poor.
as I said you need to be careful what you say. every one is going to do everything possible to get praised and get a good word from management. the entire place is all petty and childish.
there wasn't really a 'hard' part, It's just poorly staffed
and the most enjoyable part was the patients of course and giving them the care they needed and doing me very best and being the best at what I do.
Nursing staff was a blast to work with. I learnt alot of medical terms.
Unit Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJFebruary 19, 2016
Nurse at the this hospital are the best ever. They were very knowledgeable, kindhearted.Everything a patient or family member has questions they were willing and able to provide info.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Upper Management
Good way to get my "feet wet" at a hospital
Volunteer Services (Former Employee) –  Long Branch, NJAugust 10, 2016
My experience as a volunteer services member at Monmouth Medical Center allowed my to learn how to talk to people. This skill was very important to me as a nursing student as it is a pivotal communication skill a nurse should know
Pros
nursing staff
Needs MUCH Improvement
Unit Clerk (F/T) (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJFebruary 21, 2016
Saint Barnabas Medical Center has received over 2million dollars which they have chose to expand their building. However there are things that money could be better suited for. The elevators inside the building often breaks down and causes patients, staff and visitors to get stuck. The housekeepers do a poor job with cleaning the bathrooms and beds. The care the nurses, assistances, and doctors provide is remarkable but it will get overlooked by the other concerns in the hospital. The equipment that the staff uses is poor. It breaks too often. The response time to get treated in the ER is HORRIBLE.