Barnes & Noble College Employee Reviews

Fun and comfortable work place
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNSeptember 21, 2017
The coworkers at Barnes & Noble College become like a family together. I learned how to do some basic paper work and place orders for merchandise. The management can be unorganized but they try to help you with what works best for you. It's a business on a college campus so they work around your class schedule really well. Everyone is really friendly and supportive of one another. The hardest part of the job is the first and last week of class. The most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers and becoming familiar with so many people on campus.
Pros
Discount on textbooks, discount on merchandise, friendly coworkers, etc.
Relaxed and Flexible
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 11, 2017
Great job for a college student looking for a small job that allows him/her to focus on courses. Not stressful at all despite rush-week being quite crowded (and the phone does ring like crazy at times).
Pros
flexible hours, non-stressful
Cons
no opportunities for career advancment, temporary
Good Management but Low wages and horrible hours
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCAugust 22, 2017
During the semesters rush periods the low pay was tolerable because we hadon't hours but during the winter or summer i'd be luck to get a 10 hour week despite not having more than 2 bookselling employees including myself. No pay raises were given ever regardless of the job you did which during rush and rush setup was a lot.
Pros
10% off
Cons
Inconsistent work hours available, minimum pay with no raises
Great work life balance
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 15, 2017
Great hours. Working at a college you were paid for holidays. In return for those benefits, the pay was too low for me. Still, I feel blessed to have the team I did and really do not have bad things to say. I simply needed more pay.
Pros
Great work life balance.
Cons
Low pay
I was doing a good job in a dying industry.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Clemson, SCAugust 6, 2017
While I enjoyed a lot in this job, I could feel that there was nowhere to go from my position. Everyone above me had maintained their position for decades. Everyone below me was a student worker who would be gone by graduation.

I need more from a job than maintaining the status quo, especially in a time when print is going out of style.
Pros
Health benefits for full-time employees were a big plus.
Cons
Hourly rates are low, salaried positions are high for the "higher ups."
Productive and structured work environment.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 5, 2017
This was my part time job during the beginning of college career and it was a great workplace. The managers were very friendly and understanding. They also were always willing to help and teach you to perform new tasks.
Great Place to work for college students
Customer Service/ Social Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 3, 2017
It's a great place to work especially when starting your work experience. You learn a lot under great management. Your role is constantly changing to serve the customer.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Not much room for growth
Do not work here
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  State College, PAAugust 1, 2017
I worked at Barnes and Noble in State College, PA, at the location on campus. The manager at the time was completely insensitive to the fact that I was a student, and continually scheduled me for twice the hours that I could work. When they were finally reduced, they would shoot back up the next week. Terrible pay, no advancement, no appreciation, and bad hours. The last straw came when I came down with the flu, but was told to come in anyway. I should not have been around food or drinks, and was made to work until I ran to the back room to vomit. Worst part was that my manager told customers, my co-workers, and her manager that I was HUNGOVER. I put in my two-weeks after that.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
pay, hours, management
Nice place to work to make money
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 29, 2017
Days were typical. Most days were overly staffed so finding things that needed to be done were difficult to find. Management was okay and helped whenever needed.
Great first job!
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 25, 2017
Taught me many skills that will stay with me throughout my career. Enjoyed working and pleasing customers, coworkers, and supervisors. The experience was invaluable.
Poorly run, stressful environment with little to no room for advancement
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 21, 2017
The summary says it all. It has been a very disappointing and discouraging experience. Each day a number of hours are wasted trying to figure out what needs done for the day and what has to be undone from the day before.
Loved the job not the people
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCJuly 20, 2017
The company as a whole was great to work for but the people at store level not so much . Home office was slow sometimes but the overall experience with the few people from home office I met was great
A place that needed to value it's members
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 16, 2017
if someone were to ask me if i should recommend them this location, i would have to tell them to stay away. Low pay, lower hours. No care for co workers.
Good job to have when in school
Sales (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 7, 2017
Very flexible scheduling for students and you have Sundays off. You work with school staff and students on a daily basis. A great company to work for. Enjoyed my time there
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2017
Awesome and nice place to work. Gained a lot of knowledge learning new things and reading about stuffs I didn't know about. Was truly helpful to me in many ways. But again distance was in the way.
Balanced and Customer Oriented
Textbook Manager/ Digital Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 4, 2017
At a college, there will be a stark contrast between extremely busy weeks (beginning and end of semesters) and extremely slow weeks (usually right in the middle of the semester, except for big sports games).
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 22, 2017
Overall, the management was super great and I have so much respect for those who work there. However, my shift manager, never learned my name and would call me a different name while I was working the floor and it was embarrassing. They finally learned my name a week before the seasonal position was completed.
Small, quaint and inviting
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 21, 2017
As a first job I thoroughly enjoyed working there. The Store Managers were willing to work with me in balancing my job and college life. The managers were very nice and open to help me with whatever questions I had. The managers helped me build the skills I needed to become the best and overall team player I could be.
Typical College Bookstore
Bestseller - Management Training Program (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 20, 2017
I enjoyed working as a cashier while I was in college, but the management training program is less structured than I had expected. The management depends on the store
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Barnes Canyon, AZJune 19, 2017
Management is well handled
Books sell well......... cool place.............. super nice store...
Good people
.........books smell nice......
Very well organized
Pros
Management organized
Cons
Sad to leave everyday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3