Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employer Reviews

Fun place to work with friendly coworkers.
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOAugust 18, 2014
Great place to work as a starting job, or a second job. You can meet many different new people while working here and create new friendships that will last into your next stage of life. Benefits for part time employees though are practically non-existent, and the pay isn't that great, but Barnes and Noble store employees here are like a family. You – more... will grow close to them and love them as you would love a family member. That is the best part of the job, your coworkers, the worst part is the fact that some days you won't have much interaction with customers because there won't be any. – less
Great!
Bookseller (Current Employee), Flint, MIAugust 17, 2014
Love the communication and staff. The atmosphere is really quiet and you can help people as they come into the store. It's very casual and not stressful at all. I recommend anyone to work for this company.
Cool work setting
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 16, 2014
Pros: set my own hours
Cons: shorted my checks
I Showed up at whatever location was provided
I leardned how to sale Vonage home phone service nd Direct Tv cable service
Management was ok untill dey shorted my check nd one of the team leads was stealin my sales.
My Co-workers were cool everybody loved to make money
The hardest part of the job was having to travel to different locations
i enjoyed – more... the pay for the most part vonage paid 9/hr nd Direct paid 10/hr and i got to set my own hours. – less
Great working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIAugust 15, 2014
A typical day involved helping customers find the books they were looking for, as well as running the cash registers and receiving new product.
Productive and fun workplace to work at
manufacturing warehouse (Former Employee), Township of Monroe, NJAugust 13, 2014
every thing was perfect about working in Barnes & Noble from the moment that you start to end
Great Retail Job!
bookseller (Former Employee), TexasAugust 12, 2014
Pros: great schedule for students or part-timers
I enjoyed my time at B&N. Who doesn't love books. Great fellow employees and enjoyed my discount.
Hectic unfair workplace
Bookseller/barista (Former Employee), Garland, TXAugust 11, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: poor supervision
They say you will work in the cafe for your first 2 weeks, but if you're really good, they'll keep you in the cafe and won't train you on the book floor. Training for cafe is hectic because they are always busy and don't have time to give you the proper training. Majority of the hours are given to the booksellers so there can only be 2-3 people working – more... in the cafe the whole day which is not enough. – less
Productive and amazing discounts
Salesperson- Bookseller (Former Employee), West Nyack, NYAugust 11, 2014
Pros: a lot of employee discount
Cons: pay increase takes awhile till actually visible
A person starts by putting in their employee code in the system to time in. A new employee is trained for a week with the head cashier in which they are taught how to input memberships and take custom orders. Management promote competition in order to sell a new product an employee would receive a special bonus or benefit. The hardest part of the job – more... is recruiting new membership if the customer purchased books under $25 its hard to convince the customer to become a barnes and noble member. The most enjoyable part of the job if you love reading books all the employee discounts you receive in the store. – less
flexible workplace
Bookseller and Barista (Current Employee), FLAugust 8, 2014
Pros: employee discount, scheduled breaks
Cons: lack of discipline
a typical day is slow with periodic rushes throughout. Management is laid back and very understanding. co worker sometimes take advantage of managements kindness but are good people overall.
Mediocre pay ; Wonderful place to work
Manager Help Desk, Merchandising (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2014
Pros: 30% employee discount on most purchases, 50% off barnes and noble cafe purchases
Cons: most employment will be part time, relatively low wage.
It is a good place to gain experience especially if you're looking to get into management. Work hard, be diligent, and you will set yourself apart from the part time workers with no ambition.
overall great working environment.
Cafe District Trainer (Former Employee), Durham, NCAugust 5, 2014
Enjoyed the experience of working at Barnes and Noble for over 20 years.
Digital sales.
Sales, Information Desk, Cashier (Former Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FLAugust 1, 2014
Pros: the location of this store was 6 minutes away from home.
Cons: a lot of dishonesty emanated from b&n which was totally shocking.
If you have nothing nice to say about something, don't say anything.
Cleaning Agent
Cleaning Associate (Former Employee), Belleville, ILJuly 30, 2014
Pros: the customers -regulars were always kind to me.
Hoaurs - 7:00am - 11L30ma
I emptied the trash receptacle throughout the store excluding the stockroom. I was to vacuum the entire store on alternate days, or spot vacuum where needed. The café floors were mopped every day and glass doors wiped down. The restrooms were cleaned daily from the toilets, the sinks floors and stalls. Paper products were replaced – more... daily.
The sales staff were always pleasant. There was nothing hard about the job and I had a good relationship with the customer. – less
Comfortable and customer friendly workplace
Bookseller (Former Employee), Nanuet, NYJuly 30, 2014
If you love to read this is an amazing place to work. It is small enough where it does not get too hectic but it still has its busy days. The people are all intelligent and hardworking and provide a great work experience.
Positive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Montclair, CAJuly 24, 2014
I really loved working at Barnes & Noble. Each customer brought in different experiences some were positive and others were negative. My co-workers were easy to get along with each of them provided me with different advice, which helped me throughout my experience. The part I enjoyed the most about my job was the customers because I love to meet new – more... people and get to know them a little to give them the best experience I can. – less
co-workers were wonderful, nice and friendly
Customer service (Former Employee), muscatine iowaJuly 21, 2014
I went to work and the day would fly by. I would stock shelves and help customers.
Good place to get a career started
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Marion, OHJuly 20, 2014
While work can be slow your fellow workers are usually a joy to work with. Do to the general youth of the work force there is a lot of energy in the work place.
Great place to work with an awesome management team.
Café Server, Cashier, Bookseller (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJuly 16, 2014
Barnes & Noble has been my favorite job so far. The management team and corporate structure are fantastic, and the employees were all knowledgeable and friendly all the time. Pay and benefits were decent. All in all it was definitely a good place to work.
My first work experiance
Bookseller (Former Employee), Rocklin, CAJuly 15, 2014
A typical day was you come in and punch in, then do any tasks that were assigned, for example assisting customers finding their books and helping with online orders, unboxing books and putting them out on shelves.
productive and fun workplace
Bookseller (Former Employee), Massapequa, NYJuly 15, 2014
Learned a great deal about a variety of books while working with some great co-workers. Also got to work on digital sales.

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more