Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Decent Comany
Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Work/ life balance
Cons: high turn over in stores and with management
I enjoyed my years at Barnes & Noble. The work life balance there is amazing as a salaried retail person. The insurance is decent and the 401K match is good. The pay isn't the best but the other items made up for it. There has been a lot of turnover from the top down so it made it difficult to create and maintain relationships with upper management to help move up career wise.
B&N Book Seller
Book Seller (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Relaxed enviornment, fun employees, good learning experience
Cons: Minimum Wage
Well, it's retail, but it's also books. Do not make the assumption that you get to lounge around reading all day. That's not how it works. You shelve in the mornings before the store opens, then you're scheduled for either Customer Service, Cash Register/Wrap Station, or Music. (Or Cafe, depending on your job.) Coworkers are generally awesome. Managers are also awesome. Customers are usually pretty awesome too. You get to recommend books to customers and become more familiar with what's popular or in demand. Definitely a good learning experience. Only comlaint is the minimum wage pay.
10 Year Employment with Barnes and Noble
Assistant Store Manager of Operations (Former Employee), Burlington, MAJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Provided the environment and resources for me to develop strong managment skills
Cons: Had to work every Saturday and Sunday for 10+ years, Salary was rather low
At Barnes an Noble, I worked my way up from a Sales Associate in 1997 to Assistant Store Manager to an 18M Store by 2003.

I started with Barnes and Noble in the fall of 1997 as an Associate and was quickly promoted to Dept Manager by the next year. I worked in this capacity for some months before being promoted to the Barnes and Noble flagship store in Burlington MA. I started at this location as a Dept Manager and, after two years, was promoted to Asst Store Manager.

After having worked in this capacity for several years (till 2008) a former Barnes and Noble associate (who'd landed a positon with Follett Higher Educaton Group as a Store Manager) called to inquire if I'd like to apply for a Store Manager position. My reason for leaving Barnes and Noble was to accept a higher position with Follett (as Store Manager) for a higher salary and better benefits.
Good job.
Community Business Development Manager (Current Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Advanced reading copies of books
Barnes & Noble is a good company overall to work for. I've been with them for 11 years and have learned and grown from the experiences I've had.
Not enough opportunities for advancement
Café Porter (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 20, 2015
Pros: It was a job
Cons: Pay
I was a Cafe Porter. It was an easy job on paper but it had it's share of hectic fast paced moments,which I learned to adapt to so I guess that's a plus. Some of the co-workers were great and fun to be around.
Excellent Company
Temp (Current Employee), Basking Ridge, NJJuly 18, 2015
Love it here, the people are great, the company itself is a really great company to work for, I have learned a great deal from technicians about computer science.
Productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Secaucus, NJJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Book discounts
Cons: Computer system failures
Learned about many books, and helped customers make purchases of books they were requesting. Had the ability to learn more about different authors.
A good part time job to have while looking
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Wyomissing, PAJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Discounts across the store, nice breaks
Cons: Random hours
Your job is laid out for you in terms of what your expected to do. Hours can be random if your part time and can make it a little difficult planning life events. Overall a good place to work while looking for other opportunities.
Good work environment
Café Barista/Bookseller (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Discounts, availabilty to the product
Cons: Focus on upselling instead of the customers
A typical work day involved a large amount of customer interaction. Each customer had their own stories to tell and made the work day much more enjoyable. Management was easy to work with but was very focused on the numbers. It would sometimes cause tension between the departments and the coworkers. The culture of the café and bookstore brought in a lot of different people as employees. The coworkers enjoyed their work which also made the work day enjoyable. While working here, I learned a lot about how to interact with a diversity of people as well as widening my own culture through the product we sold. Training new employees gave me expertise on organization and adapting to new programs.
Entertaining and Educational Workplace; Ideal for Literary, Organized Nerds
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Fun and engaging work environment, overall passion for books and entertainment media, excellent employee discount - both with books and in the cafe
Cons: Difficult to get a lot of hours, extremely sales-driven
A typical day at work could consist of working at the cash register, helping a customer find a book, answering the phone at the information desk, shelving books and finding room on the shelves for new titles, organizing displays, or taking down books that are no longer listed. This is one of the more enjoyable jobs I've had. I've learned about front-listing and back-listing titles, selling trends, how to sell memberships and make effective sales that are good for the customer and good for the company, and I've learned how to organize merchandise so that it sells more effectively. My co-workers are all passionate about books and most genuinely love their jobs - for many, it's their "fun" job. The hardest part of my job is that the store I work at is so enormous, it's hard to keep track of everything. However, searching for books and getting to run all over the store to find titles to put on display is also one of the joys of my job. As a writer, I have always, and will always have, a passion for books.
Such a diverse environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Livingston, NJJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Benefits, weekly pay, discounts on merchandise and food, friendly staff
Cons: lack or hours after big holidays
The one thing that I loved about working here was the fact that I had the pleasure of working such a wonderful mix of different cultures. I got to bask in the greatness of all groups of people, not only among the staff, but among the clientele as well. It was a very fun place to work, nice staff, the management was great, the benefits were great, and I managed to develop a connection with the guests.
Barnes and Noble
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Waco, TexasJuly 14, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of organizing bookshelves and working at the register
I learned how to operate a register and how to assist customers at Barnes and Noble
Management was unfriendly and strict
Best Job I ever had
Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Sacramento CaliforniaJuly 12, 2015
On my feet all day but helping people find books was the most fun I ever had at work. Co-workers and management were good and decent people.
Typical Serving Position
Sales (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJuly 10, 2015
Mimi's is a fine place to work. Nothing is overly difficult or demanding. Tips here aren't the best, but it could be worse. Overall, this is a good steady job.
good working place
Sr. QA Analyst/lead (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: health care
i love working under that management
co-workers are very supportive
i am very comfartable working in this place
this clien thelps me a lot to learn mew things
fast pace enviroment
Bookseller (Former Employee), Bainbridge, GAJuly 8, 2015
Pros: half off on products and clothing
Cons: short breaks
Help gather the students books, and assisting with other supplies they may need for the semester. Learning new skills far as placing the books in the correct spot on the shelves.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Manassas, VAJuly 7, 2015
Very fun and enjoyable place to work. Always busy and meeting new people. It is a great place for advancements within. My co-workers were all great to work with.
Productive workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2015
I would recommend anyone to work for Barnes and Noble. It is a great place to work and learn from. It was a great experience.
Good to work with customers. COLLEGE BOOKSTORE
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Employee discount
Cons: Little to no breaks, rude management
A typical day would be to come in and go to the quick meetings and they send you off to your station. Sometimes its hectic and confusing and you'll probably get yelled at if you do something wrong. Even though you are JUST learning the job. Co workers are cool, management doesnt like for co workers to have friendly conversations. Its like the managers have their group and the employees have their group. The hardest part of the job is when the store gets full and you have to handle all of that. On top of that you dont get paid very much.
Productive and fun
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 4, 2015
Everyday on the job was like a big classroom. I enjoyed socializing with other peers and helping students locate products.

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more

Barnes & Noble Salaries