Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,853 reviews matching the search
Very laid back atmosphere where I felt like I wasn't even in sales!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 26, 2016
Barnes and Noble was a wonderful place for a guy like me. Where else could I show up and talk about books all day long? After I left Barnes and Noble, I went on to get a degree in English, again, talking about and reading books like it was my job. A typical day at work would flow with the seasons; ie, Christmas was very busy, but in the summertime, things slowed down. I learned a lot about people managing and sales. My co workers were excellent; all different types, all sharing a love of books, storytelling, and helping people find something to expand their worldviews by even just a little bit or a lot. The hardest part was the hours, I just couldn't find time in my schedule to work more. The most enjoyable part of the job was the every day interactions with customers and helping them find what they were looking for; something for them, a gift, something for school, etc. Our job was 'sales' but for us, it was more about making a connection with the people who would come in, looking for something that piqued their curiosity.
Pros
Customer interaction
Cons
Short hours
Fun and easy
Sales Associate/Barista (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAApril 25, 2016
The job was easy. Finding books for customers was hard and sometimes impossible at times. Our regulars were fun to talk to and definitely made the job easier. Some even helped other customers if we got too busy. The management was by far the best ive ever worked with. The other co-workers were nice and laid back. I guess one of the downfalls for me was trying not to spend money every time i went in to work. There was always some book or trinket that i found that at the time i felt like i needed.
Pros
fun and laid back
Cons
slow business, not a lot of hours
Calm and non-stressful atmosphere
Merchandising Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 24, 2016
I am a college student and work at the campus bookstore. All employees at the bookstore get along and we are constantly trying to better the store and improve business. The bookstore is in a temporary building due to reconstruction, so it's not appealing to college students. Distributing and collecting books at beginning and ending of the semester gives us a busy season, however off-season is slow. This is great thought because with working in between classes or at night, you don't leave work stressed or mad ever. Very good for your mentality.
Cons
Super slow
Okay place to work if you're a student
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMApril 24, 2016
Most of the day is much of the same, check in, take Nooks to the display, rearrange books, take care of customers, inventory, and take electronics down, wipe tables, and check out. Everyone did what they were obligated to do, All student workers got along.
Pros
stress free
Cons
no training
like family
Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALApril 23, 2016
i really like it when i started out. i worked there for 3 years . the old manager was very for the employees but the new one is very churn and burn and doesn't really have much attachment to her team.
Pros
very nice co-workers
Cons
the manager needs to be more team friendly
Perfect company to work for
Lead QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 22, 2016
If it was not for the price reduction on other competitors, this company had a good potential. Unfortunately cost was / is a factor
Barnes and Noble
Bookseller, Cashier, and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI 48104April 22, 2016
I would either be working at customer service, music, or at the register. I would answer phone calls to help people look for books, dvds, or cds. Throughout the day I would put away books in there correct location and make sure that they are in alphabetical order. The hardest part of my job was selling memberships to customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with coworkers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Memberships
Good start
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 21, 2016
Shelving books and inventory on a daily. Meet new people help them find the book they seek. Always in touch with management since they're hands on. Co-workers are a good bunch not starting any trouble and work together. Hardest part was sometimes being on foot most of the day but enjoyed most of the work.
Pros
Wonderful area
Cons
it was a temp-position
Easy Going and fun environment
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 21, 2016
I love working at Barnes and Noble, it is an easy going job. Never any problems with the job. The vibe between the coworkers is good and it's like a family.
Pros
Breaks always on time
Bogged down and sluggish
Bookseller and Barista (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 21, 2016
It's a good place to get stuck in a bubble. I'm sure that the environment at another location could have lead me to a better experience, however this particular Barnes and Noble was not for me.
Pros
It's a building filled with reading materials, educational tools, and entertainment
Cons
Managenent is very clickish and biased.

Want to know more about Barnes & Noble?

Ask a question
Great people
Sr Finance Manager, Supply and Demand Operations (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 21, 2016
Great people with a "can do" attitude. I have really enjoyed working here and have learned a lot about subcontract manufacturing.
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits
Cons
Shrinking business, not much opportunity
Really Great Work Environment
BOOK SELLER (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 20, 2016
Barnes and Noble is a great place to work. The people who work there are awesome, management isn't super overbearing with quotas or sales goals, and everyone's much more understanding of introverted tendencies than other workplaces. You also have the added bonus of being around books and maybe getting to work special events like author signings. It is still a retail job, so you do get stupid questions, rude customers, and things like that. But in general the overall clientele is a little more considerate than you might find at other retailers.

The biggest problem with Barnes and Noble is that you probably won't get to work as much as you want to. They lean more towards filling up their roster with part time employees rather than full time, and those full time positions rarely open up. When they do, expect competition to be fierce. You'll probably be going up against someone who's worked there years longer than you have. There isn't much opportunity for advancement unless you're willing to stay with the company for years or you get really lucky.

In summary, you'll probably really enjoy your time working at Barnes and Noble. But if you're looking for a career or full time hours you probably shouldn't get your hopes up.
Pros
Good work environment, good management, great coworkers, enjoyable work
Cons
Not enough hours available, hard to advance, not many career oportunities
Growing enviornment, sales challenges
Music Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 20, 2016
I enjoyed being a "music seller" and was comfortable seeling member cards as I had one myself. I believed in the card and its saving and worth.
Pros
Discounted media and books. Always "in the know" about what was coming out.
Cons
No healthcare, sometimes long hours
Fun group of employees to work with. Never a dull moment
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLApril 20, 2016
All co-workiers are always there to help one another. The managers chip in too. No matter what problems there are, they seem to get resolved rather quickly. There doesnt seem to be a hard part of the job. Actually the hardest part is saying no to helping an employee or manager
Pros
some benifits even for part time, Fun to be there
Cons
Some slow times
Positive and hard working management team! Great co-workers! Great products, great work envExample: Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Cashier/Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORApril 19, 2016
Have stayed as long as I have because of the management team and co-workers. You never know who you will meet in our store.
Great work environment.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Not enough full time positions.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 19, 2016
Greeting and helping customers, answering phone calls, help locate a certain item/product, cashier.
Occasionally have book signings, and events for all ages to enjoy.
Fun, relaxed workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAApril 19, 2016
Barnes and Noble is the typical introverts dream, in the cafe at least. Everyone is very understanding about mental/social problems and works to fit your schedule to your needs. Managers can be strict but only when necessary; they are comedic and very caring for your wellbeing. Coworkers are like best friends here, since everyone has worked here for so long. Very welcoming to newcomers of all kinds! No prejudgment here whatsoever, nor discrimination.

Regulars are a DREAM, always simple orders, always tip and always very pleasant. There are a few people who come in and are curt and rude, but the regulars make up for it. Very involved atmosphere, always having bookfairs and events for upcoming movies and books.

The main issue is the lack of communication throughout the store between managers and employees. I would often find out about events in the middle of my shift when they were just beginning or almost over. Another issue is the dayforce scheduling system has a hard time scheduling the right amount of people for the right days.

Weekdays are usually slow with the occasional lunch rush. Weekends are constantly busy, however with good time management and proper scheduling the day flies by.
Pros
50% off all drinks and most food; 30% off the entire store
Fun!!!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Crestwood, MOApril 17, 2016
Working for Barnes & Noble was fun everyday. There were bad days, all jobs have those. But overall, I enjoyed the work. I was a barista in the cafe,and I loved making coffee and talking to the regulars. I was surrounded by coffee and books all day, was frequently asked for book recommendations by customers, and kept up to date about new releases from my favorite authors! I would have gladly spent the rest of my life in that bookstore as a barista!! My manager was amazing, we made a great team, the booksellers were always there for backup when the cafe became busy, and I learned customer service skills. The regular customers came back time and again because it really is an amazing environment! They felt as welcome as a customer as I felt as an employee! The hardest part was closing the cafe on a weekend! Sometimes you'd get swamped and people would order food right as you were shutting down the food case, but it was the best job I ever had.
Pros
Management, environment, coffee, books, people
Cons
short lunch, no breaks
Supportive staff which grew very close.
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTApril 15, 2016
I love books. I love people. I love people who love books. I enjoyed working at Barnes and Noble, with the one exception; the floors in both the public and receiving areas were very unforgiving on my feet and knees.
Pros
Great discounts for employees. Management was great and very flexible
Cons
Very hard on one's feet and knees
Pretty relaxing and somewhat rewarding
(Temporary) RCC Bookstore Floor Salesman (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 13, 2016
The whole point of it was trying to up-sell but also to help people that are trying to further their education find the best affordable way without feeling as though it would be a burden to pursue academic advancement. I may have been just a book salesman, but it felt nice helping families and fresh out of high school teens trying to make sure they weren't overpaying for a book or to make sure they knew what they needed to be ready for their first semester. I don't know if any of my co-workers felt the same, but it was pretty rewarding to get a thank you and a handshake from teens and mothers. The hardest part was leaving, it was a seasonal temp job, but it was still pretty enjoyable.