Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMay 23, 2015
Pros: Employee Discount, Great Co-Workers
Cons: No Benefits
Barnes and Noble was an interesting experience for me because it was my first chance to work in retail. As a whole I enjoyed it very much. Some days where better than others but that's the way it is with most jobs.

I started out in the Cafe where I learned valuable customer service skills and all about the Barnes and Noble member program. After working in the cafe for a few months I transitioned to the bookstore where again I learned customer service skills, phone skills, cashiering skills, and a lot of different sales techniques. It was from here that I moved to the Music Department and that's where things really clicked.

The reason I loved working in Music so much was because I knew a lot about the product as opposed to the bookstore where it turned out I knew very little about authors and books (even though I read a lot). Knowing more about the product made it easier for me to make sales and get people to sign up for the membership program.

I approved of the management and my co-workers. They were all kind, understanding, and wonderful to work with. The management in particular was always ready and willing to help out with any problems I might have had.
Good Work But Not Enough Hours
Book Seller (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 21, 2015
Management and coworkers are all lovely and supportive. Happy to teach you skills and answer questions.

Unfortunately corporate bans people from getting more hours so not enough pay by itself.
Corporate
Book seller (Former Employee), ColoradoMay 21, 2015
Barnes and Noble is a corporation, through and through so do not expect any type of small community feel. For someone with more than 4 years of job experience, to only be offered minimum wage for a fairly demanding job was disappointing.
It's a fun place to work for college students
Cashier (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 21, 2015
Barnes & Noble College is a great place to work for college students. They work around your schedule, and all workers make the work environment fun.
Love the people I work with
Bookseller (Current Employee), Quincy, MAMay 21, 2015
The management and the coworkers are so easygoing and I love the workplace. Job is fun but there is a limit between fun and getting to work. It is very nice to work for such a great company.
Great Co-workers
Children's Lead; Community Relations Point Person (Current Employee), Broomall, PAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Nice employee discount, and decent benefits for full-time employees
Cons: Short breaks; understaffed; very few opportunities for full-time positions
On a whole, retail can be challenging, between customer and company demands, but my co-workers in particular, make all of that easier to bare. Unfortunately, a lot is demanded/expected of a bookseller, without much compensation or gratitude from higher up. And customers can be beyond challenging: they can be demanding; rude; ignorant; and ungrateful. But they can also be: gracious; considerate; and kind. My co-workers and I help each other cope with the meaner customers, and revel in the kindness of other customers.
Overall very lovely place to be
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee), Lafayette, INMay 20, 2015
Pros: Employee discounts
Cons: sometimes getting the hours you want
The Job was absolutely amazing! its great work for those who just need to get on their feet, want to make some money on the side, and who definitely want a friendly and wonderful working environment. it was the best job I've ever had and they really prove to you that their is a place that doesn't have to be awful to be at.
Excellent work environment.
Bookseller (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 14, 2015
Wonderful coworkers, amazing managers. Everyone really cares about what they do and are committed to customer service .
Relaxing Environment
BARISTA (Current Employee), Lafayette, INMay 14, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Retail hours are a little difficult to work around a college schedule
For my first college job I love working at Barnes 'n Noble. I have been trained all over the store and have become an essential worker to the store for filling in for those who call off or when they need more people to work.
Productive and fun work environment
Cafe Lead (Current Employee), Ridgeland, MSMay 14, 2015
Pros: Meet new people.
Cons: Rude customers
You learn the different sections on the book floor. You have your own personal work space (meaning you will be on music or book floor). Cafe is fun and different. You learn how to make drinks.
N/A
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 14, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the company. I gained a lot of different experiences and met different people. It was a great opportunity.
Realistic Assessment
Retail Salesperson (Former Employee), West Dundee, ILMay 13, 2015
If you have already worked retail as a lower level associate, you already know why I gave two stars. If you are young, have no experience, and are just starting to work, then go for it. If you must rely on yourself for 100% of your income, look elsewhere.
Poor pay and job security, but enjoyable work.
Bookseller (Former Employee), Walpole, MAMay 13, 2015
Though they do not pay well, or provide any benefits, they treat their employees well. They do not look hard for full time employees unless absolutely necessary, however they are a struggling business so that much should probably be expected. The managers are nice and treat the employees fairly.
Best place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee), Lafayette, INMay 12, 2015
Though I was seasonal, my day was always packed with productive things to do that involved books. I restocked and shelved, sold, and suggested books not only to customers, but also to fellow employees.
Everyone was very helpful and kind, and I was able to dress very professionally and nice while at work. I prefer to wear heels and skirts or dress pants, and Barnes and Noble allowed for that.
As an employee, I was able to use the store as a library and "check out" one hardcover book at a time to read, as long as it was returned in perfect condition.
Training was a breeze with the knowledgeable staff. They were all very kind.
The managers were amazing and willing to help with anything.
The hardest part of the job was leaving when the seasonal time was over.
The most enjoyable part was the entire work experience.
Loved the job
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee), Chula Vista, CAMay 11, 2015
Pros: busy
Cons: favoritism by some managers
I loved everything about this job when I worked there. Best time to work was during the holiday season when it was always busy!
Good people
Customer Service (Current Employee), Northville, MIMay 11, 2015
Pros: works with my schedule
Cons: dealing with customers who expect us to have everything they want
Once the Holiday season was over I was able to get to know my coworkers better and I work with an amazing team. I don't always get along with my coworkers but I respect them and admire their work ethic.
Awesome
Barista (Former Employee), Omaha, NEMay 10, 2015
Pros: Employee discount, Company vibe being wonderful.
Cons: Low hours.
Awesome people, awesome vibe.
Duties were evenly balanced, management was great.
Coworkers were always supportive, workplace was relaxed but you did your job. Balanced.
Just wasn't enough hours a week.
Productive work environmet with friendly coworkers
Receiving / Sales (Current Employee), Manhattan Beach, CAMay 10, 2015
I work in the shipping/receiving area and the café areas of the store. A typical day includes unloading shipments from the truck. Receiving and stocking new merchandise to be shelved and sold. Café duties include opening and closing the café. Strong work ethic and great customer service is required. Preparing food and beverages to customers.
Good as it can get I suppose
Lead Bookseller/Bookseller/Receiver (Current Employee), Arden Fair, Sacramento CaliforniaMay 8, 2015
Pros: Get to work with and chat about books, friendly and clean environment, management works with scheduling.
Cons: Very slim chance for advancement, start of at minimum wage, salary cap after reaching X amount is non-negotiable.
A great job for book nerds (like me) but not a job where you can set roots and grow. I have been waiting a long time for a chance to advance, but favoritism plays a huge role in such matters. Management picks up "teacher's pets" and parade them in bookseller's faces. Nook devices and technology has changed the face of book buying worldwide, so knowing how Nook devices work might be the only real way to survive in this industry in the upcoming future.
Fun work place
Assist Customers (Current Employee), Burlington, NCMay 8, 2015
I was able to have a great relationship with my managers. My co-workers were easy to get along with as well, it was a like a family in Barnes and Noble. With a part time job as a full time student, this job was one of the best I have had. Managers were understanding of my schedule, it wasn't difficult work that stressed me out, it was a good balance between my education and work.

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more

Barnes & Noble Salaries