Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employer Reviews

Coworkers were great managment was the worst
Cafe Server (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLDecember 16, 2014
Pros: 50% off cafe items, good coworkers
Cons: bad management makes the entier job a nightmare
I worked at my local Barnes and Noble in the Cafe. We had a manager and lead in the cafe yet the store manager was such a control freak she and the assistant manager required us to call them before we could take breaks. They never scheduled enough of us to work at one time, we were basically a small fast food store inside the B&N yet we rarely had more – more... than two people working at any given time, even during the holidays. The Store and assistant managers constantly came over and belittled us, talked to us like we were too stupid to do our jobs, and thought they knew more about the position than we, the people actually doing it, did, because "We've had the training too." Nothing was ever done to their standards and we always took to long to do everything.

The straw that broke the camels back for me was the first time that I worked an eight hour shift. I took two fifteens and a thirty as is described in the handbook. A couple days later I was pulled into the office by the assistant manager and told in no uncertain terms that because I was scheduled for an eight hour shift I should have brought it to the MODs attention (who at the time was the store manager) so she could send me home five minutes early and not require me to take a second break. I argued this point with the assistant manager and went back to work. A couple minutes later he came back to the cafe and pulled me into the back room to inform me that because we clock out for lunch I didn't technically earn a second fifteen as I was only "working" for seven and a half hours. I left after that.

My thoughts on this job is, if you're really desperate you'll love your coworkers, but get out as soon as you can. – less
Professional workplace with great advancement opportunity.
Cafe Server (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 15, 2014
Pros: great hours, flexible scheduling, good people
Cons: you will end up smelling like coffee.
Fantastic place to work if your a loyal and hard worker.
This is not your average job placement, its made for people who really care about their customers and the quality service they provide. Also if you love coffee and people this is the place to work.
good place to work
Barista and bookseller (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARDecember 12, 2014
I was there for a long time and enjoyed it very much, sad I left.
the people were hardworking and pretty much everyone had been there a long time so everyone knew what to do and when.
A really good place to work if you want to work in retail
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee), North CarolinaDecember 10, 2014
Pros: works with books and customers that love them.
Cons: pay.
Definitely a great place to work! However it is still retail, so it has it's ups and downs. They offer really good benefits, but the pay is definitely on the low end. Starts off at minimum wage or maybe a little higher, but there is room for growth if you're not a dummy.
Productive, fun, inviting
Sales Associate - Part Time (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARDecember 10, 2014
Find out the specific area that you would be working for your shift that day. Of course fill in when needed throughout your shift. Attend to customers needs.
I learned a different way of setting planograms than what I was used to.
Management was understanding, friendly, knowledgeable.
Co workers were amazing to work with.
Not really a hard part of the – more... job.
Most enjoyable is a tie between the customer interaction and the staff. – less
Fun and productive workplace
Manager (Current Employee), Freehold, NJDecember 9, 2014
Pros: excellent employee engagement
Everyone is friendly, helpful and polite.. the managers are great!
A positive atmosphere with motivated employees but consistent conflicting directives from different tiers of management
Cafe Lead (Former Employee), Oceanside, CADecember 9, 2014
Pros: discount on food and merchandise, benefits, guaranteed hours, awesome regulars and employees
Cons: managerial lack of communication, lack of incentive for part time servers (my employees)
Every day I walked into work I would be unsure of what challenges would be faced in our busy little bookstore cafe. After learning the complete ins and outs of my job at Barnes and Noble I was thrown an opportunity. My manager and my lead quit at the same time in the beginning of the summer of 2014. The company promoted me to lead and split an assistant – more... store manager (bookstore side) between the store and the cafe, leaving the two of us to manage the cafe. In this time I learned the details of inventory, waste, placement of orders, recorded training of employees to company guidelines and processing of our expenses. I had the full support of my team and was able to motivate them to drive sales and promotions, receiving accolades and achievements from regional and district level employees. Often times though, a company directive would come in telling us to create a display that we wouldn't have the means to create or to perform a practice we were not staffed to do, during peak periods. In these situations there would be a disagreement on how to proceed among managers and multiple employees would be told multiple ways to go about solving the problem. This led to confusion and redundancies, cutting down our productivity and dampening our morale. This along with very low opportunities for advancement or full time employment for my employees would make it sometimes difficult to motivate the team. That being said I always walked into work with a smile on my face, knowing that I would be able to keep up a relentless pace and laugh with my friends on both sides of the counter ( coworkers and customers). – less
College Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHDecember 9, 2014
Pros: part time/ college / workstudy
Cons: pay
I worked at the bookstore while attending CSU. It was cool I was able to meet a lot of people. Not my career choice.
Fast paced and productive environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 5, 2014
Typical retail environment, with the exception with the fact that it was stationed within a college. The clientele was mostly students, but they were very polite and easy to get along with. Schedule was simple and manageable, and staff was excellent.
Textbook Rental - Inventory Management and Order Fulfillment System (IMOFS)
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Basking Ridge, NJDecember 3, 2014
• Documented high level business requirements, preparing detailed business requirements
Fun
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 2, 2014
If you love books, this is the place to work. Lots of regular customers. Fun coworkers. Managers are great. Pay isn't that great.
I love what I do and I love my colleagues, but...
Community Business Development (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 2, 2014
Pros: benefits, free books
Cons: huge disconnect between the corporate level and store level, underappreciated and underpaid
My typical day consists of taking care of book fair details (marketing, wish lists, correspondence, etc.), community outreach, and assisting colleagues and booksellers.

Management thinks my department does nothing all day, so they will call us/ come into the office and interrupt our work with issues that have nothing to do with us (i.e. non-Institutional – more... orders). The booksellers in general aren't that much better.

I absolutely LOVE my colleagues! They're amazing and so much fun to work with. I have learned a lot from all of them.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with the following:
- The incompetence of various managers, booksellers, cashiers and the distribution center as a whole
- Idiot customers – less
Challenging and rewarding work opportunity
Receiving Manager (Current Employee), Woodland Park, NJDecember 2, 2014
Pros: arcs, educational environment, challenging, healthcare
Cons: late shipments, somewhat lack of communication between corporate and stores
Everyday I'm challenged with different variables that either impede or accelerate my workload depending on how I use them. I've learned the best methods in prioritizing and time management when it comes to both my daily workload and looking down the line. My management team is supportive and have taught me how to delegate tasks with respect to the amount – more... of people we have working versus how many departments need to be refilled with product.
My co-workers keep my work hours light and offer helping hands when they see an extreme workload. I look forward to coming in and finding out who I will be working with each day.
The hardest part of my job is relying on other departments to complete their work so I can complete mine. However, I am able to make accommodations if they can't finish their work load or simply help them.
The best part of the job is discovering all the great new books that arrive every day. My personal library has expanded ten-fold thanks to my job. – less
Little hours, no benefits
Bookseller (Former Employee), Orlando, FLDecember 2, 2014
Pros: great company culture
Cons: management very bad
Winter Garden Management a nightmare to work for. You never know what mood they will be in. If you don't sell memberships your in trouble
Good coworkers, low compensation, some poor management
Café Server & Café Lead (Former Employee), Fort Collins, CODecember 1, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: low pay compared to workload
Working here gave me both good and bad experiences, many of the coworkers as well as the customer base were wonderful, but the management left much to be desired. There were a few of the managers that truly cared for their employees, but the head management let a lot of policies slide under the table, as well as let other managers get away with slacking. – more... The best part of this job was definitely the coworkers. – less
3/5
Starbucks Department Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2014
Enjoy my department; overall job culture can be stressful. As is the case with many companies you often feel understaffed and overworked, but bosses still have high expectations of performance.
fun seasonal work
Book seller (Former Employee), Charleston, SCNovember 25, 2014
amazing people to work with. easy work and life/work balance was good
Seasonal bookseller
bookseller/cashier (Former Employee), new york, nyNovember 22, 2014
Pros: very organized, friendly coworkers, decent breaks, good employee discounts
Cons: favoritism, some head cashiers are too big headed, couldn't leave until everything was done
The workers themselves are very friendly (Most).I worked as a temporary bookseller (cashier) so I didn't get the chance to socialize much expect for with other cashiers.You get great discounts and the schedule are pretty simple.Either opening shift, mid shift or ending.I would say it's a good part time job for the pay, but couldn't see myself working – more... there long term.It was fun while it lasted but that's about it – less
A good first part-time job experience
Salesperson (Former Employee), Seattle, WANovember 20, 2014
Pros: handy co-workers, good environment, learn new skills
Cons: short breaks, no benefits except employee discount
The typical day at work as a salesperson is mostly do sales/cashier and answer product questions. But, a lot of times, there are customers that will purchase books with financial aid voucher that requires for data entry skills. Some will rental the books that require different procedures, too. Usually the peak time are the first and last two weeks of – more... the quarter. So, we have to provide service in the fast paced environment that sometimes only allow a very short break (10 minutes). There are also no healthcare benefits, the only benefit is the employee discount for product purchases. The most enjoyable part of the job is when each of the customers satisfied with my service. My co-workers and me always worked while aiding each other with helps. Therefore, the service will progress smoothly. – less
productive
CASHIER (Former Employee), norfolk, vaNovember 19, 2014
you have to be a quick learner to succeed, proficient with computer, quick sales

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more