Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Fun workplace with great customers
Bookseller (Former Employee), Riverside, CAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Great culture, excellent hours, easy work
Cons: Lots of being on your feet
Excellent place to work if you enjoy customer service. I learned a lot about time management and how to keep several customers happy at once. Management was always fantastic to the workers, and even brought food for everyone a few times. The days fly by, it seems after each group of customers you assist, another hour is gone. Breaks are paid, and hours are very consistently good. I would recommend working here to anyone.
Fun place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 2, 2015
Fun place to work, coworkers were friendly and shared book recommendations. Management was well organized and helpful.
Enjoyable work environment with fun people to work with.
Café Barista (Former Employee), Christiansburg, VAJune 30, 2015
Pros: discounted merchandise in the bookstore and cafe
Cons: none
Typically after school I would drive to work around 3:30 and I would clock in. I worked cash register made drinks, and did dishes alongside one co-worker, sometimes two. I typically closed the cafe on my shifts requiring me to check temperatures, throw out wastes, and restock the beverage case and food in the fridge and bake case.I learned many things with this job, including team work, patience and the ability to work quickly and effectively. My managers were some of my favorite people to work with. They made my work experience easier by having patience with me and teaching me right from wrong in a professional way. My best accomplishment from my job was the relationship I shared with my co-workers. I loved each person I worked with and I never acquired any issues with any of them and I still speak with them to this day. The hardest part of my job was when I was beginning my job and I had to close most nights, it was a challenge for me being by myself and having the responsibility of making sure the cafe was ready for the next day. I quickly adapted and became more efficient with my work and learned how to manage my time better. My job in general was always a pleasure. There isn't just one thing I liked best about it because I loved what I did and I loved everyone I worked with.
Interesting and challenging environment
Bookseller (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 29, 2015
Pros: reading while on break
Cons: everything is based on membership sales
For the most part being a bookseller is interesting and challenging, Most days are filled with multitasking and no two shifts are ever the same. Customer service is at the core of the job but personal growth is possible with the resources available. Individual achievement is driven by the individual not management. As with most corporate retail jobs it always comes down to numbers and membership sales are the key to keeping hours and advancing,
Productive workplace with flexible schedule
Customer service (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 26, 2015
Pros: Great working enviornment
Cons: Not a living wage
The managers, coworkers, and customers are interesting to talk to and work with, which creates a positive environment overall. Each shift is structured to maximize productivity in all areas of the store including breaks. The schedules are flexible to work with outside needs like education. Managers are excellent with maintaining all tasked responsibilities with any variables that arise.
Well balanced team
Cashier/Barista (Current Employee), Arlington, VaJune 24, 2015
The store that I worked at I would definitely say that I work for again, mainly in part due to the co-workers and management that was there. In regards to management they would pitch in where needed and made sure that we were as a team should be and were there any problems they were quick to find out what was going on and how to fix it. They also made sure that we were safe, anything that they considered dangerous for us they would immediately dispose of. Co-workers also played a huge part in enjoying my job, again we all worked as a team and we all got along with each other, if there was conflict we were able to work together and figure out what needed to be fixed and how to overcome the problem to avoid any future problems or repeats of the same problem. The hardest part of the job would have to be trying to please all of the customers, there will be times when there are customers who just are not easy to please and I learned how to deal with them without getting frustrated or angry.
Flexible
Manager (Former Employee), NCJune 23, 2015
Flexible work place with a very flexible schedule. Okay benefits. Culturally diverse and nondiscriminatory towards workers as well as customers. Pay is okay if you are a management but everyone else makes minimum wage.
A great environment to work in.
Bookseller (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 20, 2015
At this job I was able to learn patience while doing customer service because there were people buying book so they would take their time to figure out what they really wanted. My management team was amazing they were very helpful with anything I needed. They made it very easy for me to get the hang of things. The most enjoyable part about the job was working with my co workers, they had great team work skills.
fun and productive learning experience
Volunteer (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 19, 2015
Pros: access to certain areas of the museum and learned new things
typical day was stocking products on shelves

management and co-workers were nice

most enjoyable was see the products before they are on the shelves
Very diversed place to work with friendly staff
General Merchandise Associate (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 19, 2015
Pros: discounts on almost everything
Cons: lots of standing
In a typical day things are not always the same. Depending on your position ( I've had the chance to learn 2 and am on the 3rd) things are completly different. On cash you always see new people and learn new things like an 1180 form and just how to operate. GM you ake sure the floor is well organized and keep items stocked and backstock and warehouse items. Overall there is a lot of standing your whole shift and if your not a people person this is not the job for you.
A fun and relaxed placed to work with lots of fun people.
Head Cashier I (Current Employee), Asheville, NCJune 18, 2015
Pros: personal passion fulfilling, not so strict
Cons: corporate retail, customers, eventual wage cap
Barnes and Noble is a fun place to work. I've been there for five years and have heard horror stories about other sorts of jobs where people deal with terrible bosses, coworkers, etc. That's never been the case here. My coworkers are relaxed and easy to get along with, and management is understanding and personable. Everyone has their own little personal flare and the store's structure encourages individualism rather than mass-produced retail robots. Individual work is rewarded when it goes above and beyond the standard call of duty, and everyone pitches in to find creative solutions to problems when they appear. Being in this job has massively boosted my confidence, and I've learned skills and proficiencies I never even knew I had. I wouldn't trade the time I spent there for anything.
work
Bookseller (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJune 18, 2015
i loved the fast pase and the people i worked with as well as the management. was a very upbeat and great place to work. hip hip hooray
Loved being around the books
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee), Grossmont, CAJune 17, 2015
Pros: Learning about the books and process
Cons: Lack in custormer service
I enjoyed working with the books and actually learned a great deal about the different sections I worked with. I learned how long a book stays on the shelf before it gets sent back to the publisher. However, the staff was not very welcoming and the management was poor. I think that the store lacked greatly in customer service.
Good place to work.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAJune 17, 2015
Pros: Employee Discount, Book check out.
Cons: Feel like a glorified bookseller at times with manager abilities, Not a lot of opportunity for growth
Coach and train employees on selling our membership program. Give hourly updates on sales and what we need to improve on.
Fun Work Environment
Bookseller (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNJune 15, 2015
Pros: free books, lunch on-site, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: short breaks, mostly part-time/seasonal work
Working as a bookseller at Barnes and Noble was extremely fulfilling. It was a fun environment to learn and help customers. A typical day at work consists of cashiering, helping customers locate specific books and/or nonspecific titles that they may be interested in. I learned how to explain synopsis in under a minute, how to organize sections, and how to navigate a store. My co-workers were very relaxed and very book smart. The hardest part of the job was trying to identify a specific title with an extremely vague description. The most enjoyable part of the job was suggesting a book that had personal meaning to a new reader and watching them fall in love with it.
Perfect job for me.
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee), Dothan, ALJune 15, 2015
Pros: books, movies, cool customers
Cons: when the store got slow
I've had many jobs in my life and this was my favorite job by far. I love books, movies and music and getting to work amongst all of those everyday, and chat with customers about what we loved was the best part of my job. I learned so many countless things and books and movies, and how the book industry works. I am vey grateful to have had this experience and was so sad having to leave. Sadly, there was no Barnes and Noble in the town I moved to or I would have transferred.
It's an interesting place to work and I'm always learning something new
Bookseller (Current Employee), Vancouver, WAJune 15, 2015
Pros: fun environment, good customer interaction
Cons: no insurance for part time
I typically clock in and help customers right away. I'll be around the customer service desk for about 2 hours and by that point in the evening it's getting a little later so I can begin the key part of my job as a closer, which is cleaning the store. My coworkers and I go throughout the entire store and clean what needs to be, recovering the bookshelves and putting away strays that customers left while maintaining helping customers and answering the phones.
As I am cross trained in the cafe and at the cash register, I regularly am responsible for covering my coworkers breaks/lunches in both these areas. I worked solely cash register for a long period of time before being trained at customer service so I'm comfortable operating a cash register. I'm also comfortable making almost all of the drinks in our cafe and preparing food.
I truly enjoy learning more since we have books that cover a broad spectrum of subjects. Customers will often come to me and tell me about the books they're interested in and ask for recommendations. If I don't know of any I can usually turn to a coworker who will have some recommendations and I like hearing what they have to say.
Decent seasonal jobs
Seasonal Bookstore Associate (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 14, 2015
The staff was friendly and fun. it was a seasonal position during a college break. So, I didn't expect much. I had a little extra money in my pocket and that's all that matters.
Cut and dry, but the people made the job.
Book Seller and Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 12, 2015
Pros: in-store book, music and movie discounts
Cons: very strict requirements to get real benefits like vacations and healthcare, etc.
Typically a day at B&N was just working with customers and finishing whatever daily tasks were assigned to your area. I honed my customer service skills there and how to package and ship returns in the bookstore. Management was probably the least savory thing about the job there. Ultimately being the reason for leaving too. The most difficult part of the job was trying to shelve books in the early morning fast enough to their liking. I was always pretty meticulous about my organization so I was slower then most. The most enjoyable part of the job was most definitely the people. Getting to meet and greet so many different kinds of customers and just help them out with whatever they needed or were looking for. Whether it was in person, or just customers that needed help over the phones, I was always happy to lend a helping hand and an understanding ear to all. In the end that was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job. Working the music section regularly gave me the opportunity to expand my horizons on what genres and bands to listen to as well, since many customers would inform me of and recommend so many to myself over the years. Definitely the people coming into the store made it the most enjoyable.
a fun place to work with good people
Bookseller (Current Employee), Sioux City, IAJune 12, 2015
Pros: good discounts for employees
Cons: can be boring sometimes
Working at Barnes and Noble a typical day at work i help customers and the other staff get the store closed for the night, and help with any projects the store has going on

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more

Barnes & Noble Salaries