Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employer Reviews

A fun environment to work
Community Business Development Manager (Current Employee), Tyler, TXAugust 25, 2014
Pros: i get to work with a wide variety of customers
Cons: wear and tear on my own vehicle.
This business is awesome to work for.. How many people can say they work in a bookstore? You work with a wide variety of people and I get to travel.
Fun Workplace
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee), Westwood, CAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: discounts on merchandise
I love books and this was basically my dream job.

Another standard retail position with 30 minutes for lunch and the typical 15 minute breaks.

A typical day at work is maintaining the look of the store and continued customer service throughout.

Co-workers were awesome, hard working people and I never worried about anyone's work ethic.

The hardest – more... part of the job - for me there wasn't one. Shelving books, talking about books, helping people buy awesome books. Awesome.

This job was nothing but enjoyable for me. I loved talking to co-workers about new interesting books/daily life and I did the same with the customers. Helping someone find the right book they have wanted to read or have read before or that you could recommend for them - truly a great feeling. – less
Barnes and Noble is a good company to work for.
Lead Bookseller; Head Cashier (Former Employee), Chandler, AZAugust 21, 2014
The book business is a fun place to be. You meet interesting people on a daily basis and it is very laid-back at the store level.
advancement but without merit increases?
Supervisor (Former Employee), Allentown , PaAugust 21, 2014
Pros: not many
Cons: not enough help either on sales floor customer wise or sales support team was constantly being cut
Yes I was approached to take on more responsibility , work

longer hours, and more weekends but with out any type

of increase, while outsiders were brought in at higher pay

and far less knowledge or experience. Highly demoralizing

culture.

I never heard of being offered a management role with no increase

ever in all my years of management with – more... the excuse it was bilateral move. Who are they kidding? – less
Great Workplace For A Geek Who Needs Part-Time Min. Wage Work
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Redlands, CAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: employee discounts on cafe and store items; great company culture
Cons: only full-time employment is for management positions
Working in the Receiving department was great; most of the time I only interacted with my fellow employees, being given tasks by my manager and set to work, which I prefer. However, I was still required from time to time to go out onto the floor and give the cashiers or customer service reps a hand, or to cover a break. I didn't mind this, as I learned – more... quite a bit about what we had in stock through working in Receiving, and it was nice to put that knowledge to use in helping customers.

My co-workers were the best part of the job. The culture at our branch was very geek-oriented; I worked with fellow gamers, science fiction and fantasy fans, movie fans, and of course, fellow readers, so we always had things we enjoyed talking about. I've met with many of them outside of work for group activities, and still keep in touch with them via social websites. When the company scheduled theme days (such as the summer "Get Pop-Cultured" events), my co-workers really got into the costuming, P/A announcements, and other aspects of running these events, making it fun for everyone involved.

Management was great. We had a certain degree of turnover because our branch was a "teaching branch," meaning managers would be sent to us to learn the ropes, and then go on to another branch to assume a position there. Perhaps because of this, most of my managers operated with an attitude that they were working with us, not over us. I always felt as though my concerns were heard, and was comfortable enough with my managers that I felt I could speak with them when I needed to.

The most difficult part of the job - aside from the physical aspect, because lifting and stacking shipments and keeping up a quick receiving pace could become exhausting, especially in the summer - was keeping the changing security measures straight. There would be certain procedures that you would become used to (the red label goes on products from this Zone, the blue on another, apply this label to audiobooks, this spider-wrap goes on these products (but only if they're over $50), these items go behind cashwrap, etc.), but in a couple of months, they would change in response to new shrink data, and you'd have to keep the new procedures in your head and forget the old ones. The positive side of this was that these changes made it clear that the executives higher up were paying attention to what was happening on the floor and were trying to make things better. Right before I left the company, they had simplified some of these procedures because someone higher up realized that it had gotten overcomplicated.

Finally, the employee benefits were wonderful. The discounts on cafe items and books meant that I could buy my lunch at work every day and spend less than I would getting fast food. Of course, it also meant a portion of my paycheck would be going right back into the company, as I like to make a lot of book purchases... – less
Customer and staff are wonderful
Childrens Lead (Current Employee), Manchester, NHAugust 20, 2014
Pros: customers are great
Cons: a busniness that might be all online in a couple of years.
Who doesn't love books. I work with great people. The company is going through some changes and I wanted to see if there was other opportunities out there for me. I have worked here for a long time and enjoyed the experience. I work hard and always looking for creative ways to bring in business.
Fun place to work with friendly coworkers.
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee), Jefferson City, MOAugust 18, 2014
Great place to work as a starting job, or a second job. You can meet many different new people while working here and create new friendships that will last into your next stage of life. Benefits for part time employees though are practically non-existent, and the pay isn't that great, but Barnes and Noble store employees here are like a family. You – more... will grow close to them and love them as you would love a family member. That is the best part of the job, your coworkers, the worst part is the fact that some days you won't have much interaction with customers because there won't be any. – less
Great!
Bookseller (Current Employee), Flint, MIAugust 17, 2014
Love the communication and staff. The atmosphere is really quiet and you can help people as they come into the store. It's very casual and not stressful at all. I recommend anyone to work for this company.
Cool work setting
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 16, 2014
Pros: set my own hours
Cons: shorted my checks
I Showed up at whatever location was provided
I leardned how to sale Vonage home phone service nd Direct Tv cable service
Management was ok untill dey shorted my check nd one of the team leads was stealin my sales.
My Co-workers were cool everybody loved to make money
The hardest part of the job was having to travel to different locations
i enjoyed – more... the pay for the most part vonage paid 9/hr nd Direct paid 10/hr and i got to set my own hours. – less
Great working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIAugust 15, 2014
A typical day involved helping customers find the books they were looking for, as well as running the cash registers and receiving new product.
Productive and fun workplace to work at
manufacturing warehouse (Former Employee), Township of Monroe, NJAugust 13, 2014
every thing was perfect about working in Barnes & Noble from the moment that you start to end
Great Retail Job!
bookseller (Former Employee), TexasAugust 12, 2014
Pros: great schedule for students or part-timers
I enjoyed my time at B&N. Who doesn't love books. Great fellow employees and enjoyed my discount.
Hectic unfair workplace
Bookseller/barista (Former Employee), Garland, TXAugust 11, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: poor supervision
They say you will work in the cafe for your first 2 weeks, but if you're really good, they'll keep you in the cafe and won't train you on the book floor. Training for cafe is hectic because they are always busy and don't have time to give you the proper training. Majority of the hours are given to the booksellers so there can only be 2-3 people working – more... in the cafe the whole day which is not enough. – less
Productive and amazing discounts
Salesperson- Bookseller (Former Employee), West Nyack, NYAugust 11, 2014
Pros: a lot of employee discount
Cons: pay increase takes awhile till actually visible
A person starts by putting in their employee code in the system to time in. A new employee is trained for a week with the head cashier in which they are taught how to input memberships and take custom orders. Management promote competition in order to sell a new product an employee would receive a special bonus or benefit. The hardest part of the job – more... is recruiting new membership if the customer purchased books under $25 its hard to convince the customer to become a barnes and noble member. The most enjoyable part of the job if you love reading books all the employee discounts you receive in the store. – less
flexible workplace
Bookseller and Barista (Current Employee), FLAugust 8, 2014
Pros: employee discount, scheduled breaks
Cons: lack of discipline
a typical day is slow with periodic rushes throughout. Management is laid back and very understanding. co worker sometimes take advantage of managements kindness but are good people overall.
Mediocre pay ; Wonderful place to work
Manager Help Desk, Merchandising (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 7, 2014
Pros: 30% employee discount on most purchases, 50% off barnes and noble cafe purchases
Cons: most employment will be part time, relatively low wage.
It is a good place to gain experience especially if you're looking to get into management. Work hard, be diligent, and you will set yourself apart from the part time workers with no ambition.
overall great working environment.
Cafe District Trainer (Former Employee), Durham, NCAugust 5, 2014
Enjoyed the experience of working at Barnes and Noble for over 20 years.
Digital sales.
Sales, Information Desk, Cashier (Former Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FLAugust 1, 2014
Pros: the location of this store was 6 minutes away from home.
Cons: a lot of dishonesty emanated from b&n which was totally shocking.
If you have nothing nice to say about something, don't say anything.
Cleaning Agent
Cleaning Associate (Former Employee), Belleville, ILJuly 30, 2014
Pros: the customers -regulars were always kind to me.
Hoaurs - 7:00am - 11L30ma
I emptied the trash receptacle throughout the store excluding the stockroom. I was to vacuum the entire store on alternate days, or spot vacuum where needed. The cafĂ© floors were mopped every day and glass doors wiped down. The restrooms were cleaned daily from the toilets, the sinks floors and stalls. Paper products were replaced – more... daily.
The sales staff were always pleasant. There was nothing hard about the job and I had a good relationship with the customer. – less
Comfortable and customer friendly workplace
Bookseller (Former Employee), Nanuet, NYJuly 30, 2014
If you love to read this is an amazing place to work. It is small enough where it does not get too hectic but it still has its busy days. The people are all intelligent and hardworking and provide a great work experience.

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more