Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble United States Employee Reviews

Fast-paced, customer-friendly job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Big Rapids, MIMay 4, 2015
Great way to develop customer service and computer skills. Loved the friendly staff and diverse employees. Hardest part is keeping up with the rush and buyback times of the school year.
An Amazing Experience
Café Manager (Current Employee), Arlington, VAMay 4, 2015
Barnes & Noble is a great organization and the importance of team is unwavering. Everyone does everything and the environment is as much family as it is fun.
Depends on the Store, I suppose.
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Bloomingdale, ILMay 3, 2015
Pros: Good employee discounts
Cons: Hours often cut significantly and without warning; No advancement
In my experience with Barnes and Noble, I found that the negatives--some par for the course in a retail position, unfortunately--far outweighed the positives. This may very well have been a product of the store I worked with, as there are many people who truly enjoy working for the company.

The culture of this particular store lacks accountability. There is very much an attitude of "It wasn't me" when something has been done wrong or hasn't been done at all, when what the store needed was someone with a solution. Management in particular was quick to wash their hands of certain problems and were often too vocal about their dislike of the store, the customers, and other employees. Most frustratingly, there was an extreme "customer is always right" policy at this store that, while it was to the benefit of the shopper, was often at the expense of an employees credibility. There were many times that I stood my ground with customers regarding store policies, only to have that immediately undone by a manager who didn't feel like arguing. This gives employees the feeling that store policies are not flexible, but arbitrary, and it devalues an employee's ability to make decisions about conduct.

The position of head cashier is described (by some) as a bridge between management and staff, but the head cashier at this store is essentially someone they can leave alone on the register for 40 hours a week while the staff and management stand at the Customer Service desk conversing. A number of assistant managers came and went during my time at this store, and every time they went, I – more... was told that I was not and would not be considered for a promotion. Not because I didn't deserve it, but because I was "so good" as head cashier, they didn't want to lose that. Do not expect promotions or raises (outside of the standard 25 or 50 cents every year). At least at this particular store, the head cashier is all of the duties of an assistant manager, plus sole responsibility for the registers, at a rate of pay that is not commensurate with the work. – less
Great working enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee), Lakewood,CaMay 3, 2015
a typical day would be walking in, clocking in, and letting my manager know that i was there. then the manager would take me to a room where all the money was kept and take out a drawer for me to count and then take me to my register, log on and then i was on my way for the rest of my shift. management was okay i can say.. can be a bit different there is always room for improvement.
A fun place to work with relaxed customers
Book Seller (Current Employee), West Des Moines, IAApril 30, 2015
Pros: Great employee discount
Cons: difficulty with some customers
A fast placed workplace with easy customers and understanding management. I have had difficult customers both on the phone and in person. Management has helped deal with these customers, and helped avoid future issues with them. All my coworkers are easy to work with. I have learned better up-selling skills.
N/a
Barista- team associate (Former Employee), fort lauderdale, flApril 30, 2015
Not enough hours whatsoever. They were also understaffed in the cafe area. Most shifts, you end up working completely on your own which I fine is unfair.
review for the book store
Cashier/ Customer Service (Current Employee), Farmingdale, NYApril 29, 2015
• Assist customer to their class textbooks
• Received and shipped out packages
• Helped the customers in making their purchase on register
• Works well with fellow employees and helped in customer’s issues
Positive, clean and fun enviroment
Bookseller (Former Employee), Lima, OHApril 28, 2015
Pros: Schoolbook discounts, flexible scheduling, healthcare
Cons: low hours
Barnes & Noble College is a fast paced and well organized position that I would have loved to stay at had the hours been available. I felt very welcomed by everyone and understood basic directions very easily as training was well implemented. Management was open to questions if we needed to help customers and the overall environment was well managed.
Bookselling at One of America's Oldest Bookstores
Head Cashier (Current Employee), Mentor, OHApril 28, 2015
Pros: Discounts in store and online, coworkers are a lot of fun
Cons: Short lunches, competing with Amazon
I've enjoyed working at Barnes & Noble for four years. The management team is customer and employee focused and our store manager does a great job and keeping the job fun.
Throughout my day, I assist with customers in purchasing books, give great customer service, offer our Membership Card to those who don't have one. I also train new employees at the register and teach them about handling monies while giving good customer service. I take down tills at the end of the evening and count the monies. If I open during the day, I take the tills out in the morning. I do make sure to keep the checkout area tidy and clean, as well as the Gift & Stationary department. I shelve new products, follow merchandising requirements and decide which gifts get pulled based on sales history.
Outstanding culture
Department Manager (Former Employee), Scottsdale AZApril 28, 2015
Pros: Free books, music, and 50% cafe discount.
Cons: Retail environment.
This was the job I liked the most; I was with them for over 11 years. Great balance and culture. Unfortunately, it was retail. Having a 50% discount on cafe' items and access to new book & music titles was an awesome perk. Miss this place and the clientele. Great starter job. Very classy.
I enjoyed working at Barnes & Noble
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 27, 2015
Pros: Always busy not much downtime
Cons: 5 different managers
Working at Barnes & Noble helped me grow as a manager. I learned to work with all types of personalities some good some not so much. I Learned to judge people by their work ethic.
Great atmosphere, happy staff, caring managers
Barista/Café Lead (Current Employee), Gilbert, AZApril 27, 2015
Pros: Understanding managers, great training for customer service
Cons: None
I enjoy working for Barnes and Noble. I like all of my co-workers and managers. The managers make sure all employees take their breaks and are doing well. I like working in customer service and Barnes and Noble offers a great environment for customers to come and shop and find assistance.
great work environment
Laborer (Former Employee), Dayton, NJApril 26, 2015
The job was a great learning experience for me. It helped me develop my skills as a team player. I learned how to take initiative in the work place and be more involved.
Business casual environment with opportunities to learn many different skills
Nook Seller (Former Employee), boise, IDApril 24, 2015
The atmosphere is quiet and professional. Opportunities to learn many different skills. The employee discount is awesome!
Great and fun workload
Barista (Former Employee), Mesa, AZApril 23, 2015
I was usually by myself, closing the cafe. I never got too close with any of my managers or coworkers for this reason, which was difficult. My favorite part was the learning process since I went in with no knowledge of coffee.
Cafe Server is great for students
Cafe Lead (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 23, 2015
The bottom of the food chain in this company is very good for people just entering the work force.

IE: Cafe Server. Book Seller.

Beyond those 2 titles, I would stay clear of. Management doesn't treat the full time employees very well.
Positive Work environment, but did not last long
Stocker (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNApril 22, 2015
I basically gathered and returned textbook orders, help process payments for orders, and help clean the bookstore after closing time.
had book signings and met good authors
Asst. Manager/Bookkeeper (Former Employee), brockport nyApril 20, 2015
accounts receivable and payable,stocked shelves and did shipping and receiving.Interacted with customers.Worked with students and met a lot of great friends.
great for book lovers
Book Seller (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: books
Cons: pay
The West Gray location is beautiful with engaging customers. I loved working with books, the cafe is nice also. The pay does not support an independent lifestyle
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 19, 2015
Great customer service enviroment as well as a good quality of life for the employees.
Out of all the places I have worked this one has some of the best customers that come in. It makes the job that much more rewarding.

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more

Barnes & Noble Salaries