Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employer Reviews

Work with really interesting people. If you are a reader, this might be perfecct for you.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), ColoradoJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: you get to read the books (but not on the job). half price coffee. great people to work with.
Cons: most new hires are part time, open availability is almost a requirement, scheduling can be wildly inconsistent with no guarantees of hours or shifts, salary is not great.
The hourly pay is somewhat on the low end for retail, but the job really isn't that hard either. Both customers and fellow employees are a cut above what you will find at most big box stores. You will work alongside many interesting overqualified people with advanced degrees who, for one reason or another, landed here. The quality of management varies quite a bit from store to store but on average, they are a pretty solid group. The training is much better than it used to be for both managers and booksellers. Still, much of the training is self-guided and self-motivated and those who take responsibility for their own training will get it, those who don't won't. The job gets more varied and interesting as you move up through the ranks.
Barnes and Noble
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), CAJanuary 19, 2015
The company is in transition and some employees miss the old days. The industry is changing and people need to accept that it will never be the same. Management is devoted to the staff. They show a genuine interest in the employees. The coworkers are intelligent and educated which makes for good conversation. The hardest part of the job is accomplishing all the work with the amount of labor given to do it. It usually isn't a problem except when you have a bad week on sales. The best part of the job is the coworkers and the customers. They are the cream of the crop as it comes to retail. One downside is upper management doesn't leave the company so there are few opportunities to go beyond merchandise manager.
Productive and nice place for to learn and practice about the job. excellent benefits as medical, dental, vacations, sick days, personal days. Celebra
QC Inspector (Current Employee), Monroe, NJJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: we have two breaks and can rest.
Cons: far away from my house. some times a lot of traffic.
Productive and nice place for to learn and practice about the job.
excellent benefits as medical, dental, vacations, sick days, personal days.
Celebrations like family day and Christmas day with nice parties and gifts.
Safe place to work.
Work
Cashier (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 17, 2015
This was my first job I did a little bit of everything for this company even as a cashier I had to clean bathrooms. management is ok didn't pay me for some work hours one time.
A nice place to work but in need of management overhaul
Barnes and Noble Café Lead (Former Employee), Bridgewater, NJJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: i had a good discount on books and cafe items and a good team to work with
Cons: toxic management, no promotions, low pay, low appreciation.
I worked in the cafe and was the one and only male in the department. The cafe manager was pretty much there so she could retire at when the time came. I did my best but only got a small promotion to shift supervisor. Truth is, I ran circles around my boss and she either felt threatened by my efforts or at a loss to give me more credit for the positive changes I was making in the department. In any case, the manager did not like me for whatever reason and made my life awfully difficult.
Easy
Worker (Former Employee), Claremore, OKJanuary 16, 2015
I was just basically a cashier. They didn't tell me when I was no longer going to be working there, they simply didn't schedule me.
Work, Play, & Learn
system admin (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 16, 2015
Environment that challenges you to achieve, fully supports your ability to do so, and recognizes and rewards your efforts when you do.
Worst place I've worked at
Bookseller (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: employee discount, great leads, friendly coworkers
Cons: store management, constant stress, strict sales goals
When I first started I loved it. I love books, I love music, and I love coffee, and it's all there with your employee discount. My coworkers were great and I made friends quickly. The leads there are very knowledgeable and look out for you, but you can immediately see the stress they are under day in and day out. And it's clear why. The store manager there is a beast. She runs the place with a whip. You can tell she controls her anger with fake smiles but once you hit a nerve with her, she will berate you and make you feel like you are the worst associate she's ever had. And it's for simple things like not saying good morning, asking a question, or making 3 close friends. She will not allow associates to become friends. Now that I'm gone my ulcer stopped growing.
Great company
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee), Bridgewater, NJJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: good benefits, friendly coworkers
Cons: hours
Provide world-class customer service through our 4 core principles.
Be the Manager On Duty; café & store sweeps to maintain store.
Write weekly schedule & maintain payroll. Cash handling. Assist in hiring & training. Assist in store relays of departments.
Product placement. Visual merchandising standards.
Good Company would work for them again.
Bookseller/Merchandise Manager (Former Employee), Plano, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Overall it is company with good product and well managed at upper levels, yet not so much at store level. This must be understood a store is some what like an individual each one is different and follows the personality of the people who work in the store itself.
Employement
Bookseller (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PaJanuary 13, 2015
The hours weren't the best and neither was the pay but it was a job none the less.
Mental Assylum
Project Accountant (Former Employee), Basking Ridge, NJJanuary 13, 2015
Cons: everything
Here you get no training despite what they tell you, you have no advancement if you go to the dept vender relations. In this dept you are stuck in a bottomless pitt as you are the lowest lifeform possible. You get no respect and are yelled at by management like children. When you dont do things as they want you to do it you get a coaching memo as to where they put you in a room with the new people that are just hired to take over your position. I dealt with 30 accounts and I cleaned them up for all of the bookstores, people called me by name to help them out cause no one was listening to their needs. The hardest part of the job has to be hearing the bookstores begging gor help and you want to help them but your management tells you no. The hardest part of my job was trying to act like the slave they want you to be, while the most enjoyable part of the job was leaving. If you dont hit your goal of working on 5 accounts a day they tell you to come in on saturday as if mon-fri wasn't enough. Dont work here stay far away!!!
Decent place to work
Café Manager (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: slow paced, easy going customers
Cons: lack of team support
The slow paced retail environment is ideal for those that want to have a complacent work attitude, The expectations have become unrealistic since the company is struggling to meet investor expectations. This causes judgmental and poor decisions amongst store management.
Worst place to work
Bookseller - Cashier (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: great discount
Cons: over worked and under paid
I threw my back out twice working here. This place works you to the core and is probably the best workout you'll ever get. Only down part about that is, it'll also drive you insane. Between co-workers ignoring you when you need help, and managment having you do 10 things at once, including help the customers, you'll be lucky if all you get to do is hide behind a register all day.
Very educational environment
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee), Palmdale, CAJanuary 10, 2015
I handled all online and telephone orders. Organized and stocked all inventory. Handled all promotional designs.
Great co-workers and Management
BOOKSELLER (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXJanuary 9, 2015
Fun and productive environment, mainly customer service and stocking.
Great environment
Bookseller (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILJanuary 5, 2015
I love that I actually have a job where I like to come to work. Everyone is very like-minded, so it makes for a very laid-back environment. This company values its employees as intelligent individuals. I know I'm a really good match for this company because I can't really think of anything I don't like.
Good place for teens to get work experience
bookseller (Former Employee), willow grove, paJanuary 5, 2015
This job was great for pocket change...not worth it for long term employment.
Part of management staff at excellent training store
Merchandise Manager, Head Cashier, Music Manager (Current Employee), Edgewood Retail, AtlantaJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: book loan, great benefits, employee discount.
Cons: tight deadlines and pressure to complete all tasks each day.
Work at Barnes & Noble a very busy, focused and professional atmosphere, designed to delight customers and accomplish all our tasks with utmost efficiency.
Productive and fun
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee), Fort WorthJanuary 4, 2015
Fast paced with orders for customers and memorization was highly needed.

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more