Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Employer Reviews

Great place to work with an awesome management team.
Café Server, Cashier, Bookseller (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJuly 16, 2014
Barnes & Noble has been my favorite job so far. The management team and corporate structure are fantastic, and the employees were all knowledgeable and friendly all the time. Pay and benefits were decent. All in all it was definitely a good place to work.
productive and fun workplace
Bookseller (Former Employee), Massapequa, NYJuly 15, 2014
Learned a great deal about a variety of books while working with some great co-workers. Also got to work on digital sales.
Wonderful co-workers, exciting position
Community Relations Manager (Former Employee), Northville, MIJuly 9, 2014
Loved being part of a team working to promote reading and literacy in our community.
Fun job!
Barista (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXJuly 9, 2014
Pros: 50% off any cafe item
Cons: pay
Its a pretty easy job to do. Talking to the regulars was what I enjoyed the most. Since you are in a small section you do get to know your co-workers really well.
Clean, friendly, book store
Café Barista (Former Employee), Wheeling, WVJuly 8, 2014
Pros: clean and nice work place
Cons: slow business
I enjoyed working at Barnes & Noble. All my co-workers were very nice and helpful. I also enjoyed interacting with the customers and serving their needs
Laid Back
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Morgantown, wvJuly 7, 2014
I enjoy the company, enjoy the work. Retail hours are hard to create a work life balance
Amazing Training and Regional/District Leadership
flexible schedules
Café Barista/ Store Management Trainee (Former Employee), LSU Bookstore/ Barnes & NobleJuly 7, 2014
Pros: flexible, great discounts
Cons: minimum wage
As a student worker it was understood and abided by that scheduling was based on school.
Learning something new
Temporary Cashier/Reciving/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 3, 2014
Great people and environment. Learned the Cashier and bookkeeping
Veering off of what they did best
Store Manager (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJuly 3, 2014
Pros: lively atmosphere, busy environment
Cons: operational procedures
Very complicated operational procedures which led to loss of employee engagement. They got away from typical book selling and veered off in too many directions. I loved developing employees but had no support from higher management. Culture changed drastically from the time I started to the time I left.
Encouraging and productive workplace
Receiving Manager (Current Employee), Hickory, NCJuly 1, 2014
A typical day in my position as receiving manager involves receiving the daily shipment, processing and sorting new merchandise, and taking care of any miscellaneous tasks, such as processing vendor returns or performing stockroom maintenance. I also spend some time working with booksellers and training them as needed. The management team is very supportive – more... and industrious, and they are always willing to lend a hand or answer a question. My co-workers are equally supportive, on both personal and professional levels. Their ability to do their job well allows my job to run smoother and more efficiently. The hardest part of the job is making sure that all of our inventory numbers are correct; it is important for me to make sure that everything is being received properly so that our inventory levels are accurate. The most enjoyable aspect, for me, is being able to physically see how much work I've accomplished during a given day. Having this visual reminder is a great boon to my morale, which helps increase my productivity. This job has helped me learn and improve upon my time management skills, various procedures for receiving shipment and returning product, as well as management skills and delegation. – less
Overall good company with a great staff
Bestseller Management Program (Current Employee), Richmond, KYJuly 1, 2014
Working with customers on a daily basis and working in every aspect of the store. There was always more to learn and new things to do which was always exciting, and a new challenge to take on. It was a great work environment with good co-workers and managers.
seasonal
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJuly 1, 2014
This was only a seasonal job I worked there shortly after moving here
good company
Digital Lead (Former Employee), Apple Valley, MNJune 29, 2014
This is good company to work for. Good employees and fun place to work.
Good Part-Time Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJJune 29, 2014
Management was very understanding of the students in the sense that they knew that we had much bigger priorities especially during finals week.
Enjoyable and fulfilling workplace
Bookseller/Cashier/Barista (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILJune 28, 2014
Working at Barnes & Noble was excellent.
The managers are strict yet friendly, and very understanding of new worker blunders.
Co-workers are friendly and willing to help cover schedules.
I've enhanced my interpersonal skills, customer service skills and deepened my understanding of corporate business infrastructure from my job as a bookseller, cashier, – more... and barista. – less
Established retailer with a great reputation for excellent service.
Regional Field Café Operations Manager (Current Employee), California and HawaiiJune 24, 2014
Pros: strong partnerships with peers and store operations teams.
Cons: area responsibility requires approximately 44 weeks of travel a year.
My role as Regional Field Cafe Operation Manager is to lend support to all levels of management as it pertains to the cafe business. I partner with the Regional Vice President, provide feedback to the District Mangers on their district and individual store operations and support the in-store teams with coaching and training.

This role has helped me – more... to grow in a number of different areas. I have learned how to communicate and influence all levels of leadership towards a common goal. My success has been measured in my areas last 7 years leading the company in comp sales.

The cafe operations team with B&N is a small group, 10 of us in the field and just 5 home office positions. The advancement opportunities are limited and would require a move to the NY home office location. – less
Customer Focus Store
Receiving Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 24, 2014
Pros: discount at job
Cons: longer lunch breaks
My day starts off as checking the delivery load for the day.After that is done then I can focus on how many co-workers I need in receiving for that days shipment. I learned a lot with the years as a receiving manager. As far as the Management Team what ever were needed down in receiving I were given.
Co-workers were a great team we assist each other – more... in whatever tasks needed. I never thought about a hard part, but if i can think of anything i would say, if I had a large shipment and i couldn't get all the work done. Customer Service is the most enjoyable part I love helping people. I loved my job. – less
Work place was nice.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Riverside, CAJune 22, 2014
Cons: not enough hours.
My duties included retail sales, customer service, and cashier services.
Very fun atmosphere to work in. Management is great.
Barista (Current Employee), Beaumont, TXJune 19, 2014
Pros: discounts in store and cafe.
Cons: if you weren't full time you didn't get benefits.
I loved working here, but due to outside life I couldn't keep this job. It is a demanding job but fulfilling. The hardest part is closing, because you tend to do it on your own and it can be strenuous and tiring for a single person.
books
Recieving (Former Employee), Boise, IDJune 19, 2014
unpacking book. able to see whats new and what could be interesting

1 2 3 4 5

About Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational – Read more