Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,618 reviews matching the search
loved working there
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCJuly 25, 2017
early arrival.

loved the staff and the atmosphere.

lots of smart interesting people staff and customers.

head cashier counts all drawers and kept track of monies of each register morning and then again at night time.
Pros
coffee shop in the store, great people, books and magazines
Cons
little pay ok benefits
Happy people still read books
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJuly 24, 2017
Cashiering was tough as we were required to sell a $25.00 membership for every four hours worked.

Management switches all the time.

Weird culture

Hardest part was to sell the memberships and not read during slow times.

The customers were friendly,
Pros
Half price food and drinks
Cons
Selling memberships
Barnes and Noble Educators
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 21, 2017
Days are pretty much the same day in and out, very little changes. I learned that retail management is tough. There are many moving parts to maintain.
A fun place to work
Barista/Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 21, 2017
Working among books is a lot of fun. The fellow employees and management are nice and enjoyable as well. Working part-time there aren't a lot of hours which can be frustrating sometimes.
Awesome Store, Mediocre Company
Bookseller and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 21, 2017
I work at a fantastic store full of great people and a bunch of regular customers. I think my store is very welcoming, mostly because my store manager is a dream and creates a team environment where everyone has each other's backs. I love that I work with a lot of different people, and I've learned a lot in my time here. There is a lot of training and managers will work with you on different training programs depending on what position you're interested in.

On the other hand, as a company, we seem to change directions every other week. The only consistent focus by our corporate over the year is cut hours, and sell sell sell! And make sure you sell those memberships! I'm lucky my store is usually the top of our district for memberships, so I hear only positives about our team (I have friends at other stores that aren't so successful and they don't get the same positive messages) Gift cards are constantly a focus, and really ramp up during the holidays. And we started traffic counters, so now we hear about our conversion numbers as well. From our sales meetings, I get that we currently have four or five top priorities, and honestly that's a few too many for $9/hr.

So, this is a great place to work if you love books, talking to people about books, selling books, toys and games and music/dvds and can get behind the membership program. If you think this is a relaxing environment where all we do is stand around and read, look elswhere. It's retail. It's sales. And so much of your experience depends on your store manager and your other managers. Bottom line, as with other
  more... retailers, is all that matters.  less
Pros
Great people, Discount, Teamwork, Fun store
Cons
It's retail, stop glorifying the job because it's books
Good Entry Level /Career Starter
Bookstore Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJuly 20, 2017
-Fast-paced environment (at times)
-Good place to begin a career in retail as a student on a college campus with opportunities to advance with management training (Bestseller) program
-Learn great skills in customer service & textbook industry
-Multiple departments to gain knowledge & develop specialty skill
Pros
Discounts, on-campus proximity, growth opprotunities, customer service focused
Cons
N/a
Fun place to workmen you love books!
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJuly 20, 2017
Discount was the best part of the job as well as building a connection with customers over mutual love for literature. Management was pretty good across the board.
Coworkers make the job fun- customers can be good or bad.
Bookseller and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 20, 2017
I only had a part time position, but you gain a lot of experience being moved from each section around the store. You start working in the Cafe, then at the Cashier's Desk, then Customer Service, then in the Shipping/Receiving area of the store and the Music Department. It gives you a more rounded training when you move to several areas than stay in the same place.
Pros
30 min lunches with near by food, so many books/media to peruse, discount on items
Cons
Advancement takes a long time, drunks outside of the building, the stuffed chairs have lice and ticks in them.
Steady and interesting environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 20, 2017
The workdays were difficult, as the employers would often give tasks of the booksellers to the baristas. The management was tough and often sat and talked in the office. However, the workplace was fun and engaging at all times and improved my barista skills.
Nice Place To Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJuly 20, 2017
I loved working here, but unfortunately, it ended up being seasonal. I got hired the day before Thanksgiving, and let go the day after Christmas. I would've stayed working there if I could've.
Pros
They let you borrow hardcover books!
Cons
No cons
Great co-workers, sub-par management
Retail, Bookseller (Former Employee) –  IowaJuly 20, 2017
I've met some of the best people in my life while at Barnes & Noble, but most (not all) of the management have proven to be unfriendly, incompetent and dismissive towards employees. I loved my time there interacting with customers and making life long friends while working as a part time bookseller through college.
Pros
Fantastic People
Cons
Bad Management
Bookseller
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 19, 2017
Greet customers, customer service, cash management, stocking, phone call service, locating and organizing store merchandise, promoting / selling memberships
Healthy work environment
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJuly 19, 2017
Barnes & Noble provides a healthy, relaxed work environment. Retail positions within this company will exercise your spatial memory. The culture here is one of positivity and reinforcement of positive behaviors.
Great job, with some downsides
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MAJuly 19, 2017
A great job - bookseller or a cafe attendant. Just a part time gig, don't expect to work up to anything. Uptight occasionally and you're always being reprimanded no matter how long you've worked there.
Pros
Paid time and a half on Sundays, 50% off food and 30% off most other things, flexible hours, co-workers are great, customers
Cons
Management wishy washy - hard to be trusted, job security, selling memberships, not being able to have a conversation with a customer, busy busy, cutting hours, 25 hours or less
Fun Work Environment.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 18, 2017
The people are always great to work with. The managers have your back. The employee discount is really great. The people here have a genuine love for books. Sometimes the customers can be difficult, but sometimes you can come across really great people.
Pros
Great employee discount, flexible hours, great coworkers.
Cons
Sometimes difficult customers
Interesting Work
Digital Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJuly 18, 2017
While managers vary, I have been blessed to work with a really kind management team who takes employee advancement seriously. It was not always so; at the first store I worked in, I was always promised training that I never received that made me lose out on a promotion. I toughed it out and have been promoted twice in the last two years. I was not impressed when corporate did not match employee pay to adjust for minimum wage inflation. While I'm pro-minimum wage increase, I felt slighted by losing the percentage over minimum wage that I had been making. Bad move on corporate. Now I only make a measly dollar above minimum wage despite the promotions and the four years I've given to this job.

Customers are interesting and varied, and in my position, I wind up working very personally with them, helping to troubleshoot e-reader issues as the Digital Lead.

Coworkers will always vary, but the people I work with are very friendly and it's nice to feel a sense of friendship with the people you work with. We do not ever make it work-inappropriate but we're friendly.

Overall, this is a good entry-level job but with the raises being pathetic for the promotions, I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone who wasn't just looking for someplace to work part-time or while in school. Definitely not career material.
Pros
Sick time for all employees.
Cons
ONLY full-time employees have any real benefits, paid time-off doesn't roll over
Fun place to work with like minded coworkers.
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 17, 2017
Can be a slow job at times. Lots of management changes in my store as well as my district have begun to really shake things up. As a part time employee, I barely get any hours anymore. Lots of pressure to sell memberships which kind of takes a away from the "bookselling" experience.
Pros
Coworkers, discount
Cons
Managers, no hours, memberships
Busy and honorable work in a dying industry
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 17, 2017
The place was understaffed most of the time with employees running around like headless chickens to appease the endless lines of customer need. This was because the company was cutting costs just to stay afloat- as the digital age has rendered hard copy books as halfway useless. If one enjoys the ambience of working in a book store with its own cafe, and at the same time making minimum wage, then its not such a bad place.
Great work environment for book lovers
Shelving, Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJuly 17, 2017
Barnes and Noble is a great place to work with good managers who listen to your needs as well as finding ways to fill their needs. It is one of the funnest jobs I've ever had, my only downside is that the pay is not very high (it's retail, after all). If I could make enough for a decent living, I would work for this company forever.
Pros
Flexibel schedules, open minded people, relaxed environment, and access to books!
Cons
Low pay
Productive & learning environment.
Movie & Music Seller (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2017
I stocked & inventoried Audio Books, CD's & Dvd's. I helped putting up displays & cashiered customer purchases in a timely & professional manner. I leaned about the literary & operations world of business. the workplace was congenial. Sometimes specific items weren't delivered on time to customers disappointment.The enjoyable part of the job was seeing customer happy about our customer service.
Pros
Good work hours.
Cons
Sometimes understaffed during busy schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.