Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,163 reviews matching the search
Not a bad place to work
Bookseller and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYJanuary 7, 2017
I worked at a store before it closed and it was a great place to work. Obviously, even though it is a bookstore, it's still retail. Customers can be difficult, work can be repetitive, standing can be a bit much sometimes and breaks were a little too short.
The discounts were great, being able to read on break was nice,
Pros
Amazing employee discount, great associates
Cons
Breaks seemed to fly by, serious foot pain [get great shoes!], not always scheduled when you want.
Great company. Great place to work and an overall positive atmosphere.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTDecember 24, 2016
Overall, B&N is an excellent place to work. Managers value your work and co-workers are very welcoming. They quickly become very close friends with you.
Pros
Great work environment. Discounts on books, music, toys, and the cafe. Management is very respectful to their employees and they value the work you do.
Cons
Sometimes it gets very slow, You may not see a customer for an hour, So you just have to find ways to be productive and to keep yourself busy
enjoyable day at work
Cafe Lead (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 1, 2017
I've learned how to work with people I typically wouldn't be surrounded by. I enjoy the aspect of being able to sell material that enhances thinking. I love working with food because people are always happy to get food. But there can be high school style drama when there aren't enough responsibilities on everyone equally. As a person in between managers and associates, I feel a lot of the pressure falling on my shoulders because few people feel at fault when things are wrong.
Pros
lots of time off if you ask for it
Cons
not enough staff to help when needed
Management is bad
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 11, 2017
Worked at this location for many many years. benefits are good if you are full time otherwise I would avoid. Great co -workers and environment horrible management the store manager has no problem being extremely inappropriate making fun of employees for medical conditions/ pregnancy and HR just kicks it back to the district and store manager to handle which means retaliation against who called HR. Loved the store and most the people I worked with but can't recommend this job until management changes
Pros
Benefits if applicable, people, discount
Cons
Management, unprofessionalism, hostile work enviroment
Fun Place with Respectful Management
Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 4, 2017
The thing I love about Barnes and Noble is that the managers treat you with respect and consideration. And Coworkers are always well rounded friendly and compassionate people. The negatives of the job are that you can't do full time unless you have a supervisory position so getting hours is hard and everyone winds up having to work 2 or 3 jobs. Also the pay is really low considering all of the information that you have to learn, how experienced you are, and the fact that most employees have college degrees.
Pros
Discounts on Books and Food
Cons
Low Pay, No hours
Great start to a job, gets trivial after a couple months.
Cafe Barista (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJanuary 14, 2017
Most days go by quick, I've learned how to mess around with coffees and flavors, the management is okay at best. I love working with most of my co-workers, so that's great. The only hard part of the job is getting hours these days. The only enjoyable thing is when I work with someone I enjoy being around.
Pros
A new experience for me, and anyone wanting to learn how to be a Barista
Cons
Practically no room to move up in Cafe, and rarely do they cross train.
Fun for retail.
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLDecember 6, 2016
I was a manager at the store, so my experience was different than many. I would open or close the store (keyed manager) and either get the registers going, count down drawers and the safe, etc. or do the same thing in reverse for the evening.

I would also verify the schedule and call in employees if they were needed, etc. My co-managers were generally very helpful and my store manager was supportive. The hardest part of the job was the change in hours that needed to be worked (retail schedule), and the most enjoyable was working with a group of people who were all very friendly and intelligent.
Pros
Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, discount, hours.
Cons
Scheduling, low staff coverage
Great Learning Environment
Automation Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2016
Easy-going environment with a lot of support from co-workers and management. Typical day will involve meeting with team, selecting user stories to complete throughout the day, working independently and/or with team, end-of-day review, code reviews, meeting with clients and/or stakeholder if required etc. Learned a little bit about cucumber on the job and other tools. Loved the people here and how friendly and helpful everyone is. Hardest part of the job is meeting client's changing expectations but through our 2 week sprints it is manageable.
It was fun at the time
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZDecember 4, 2016
I liked working here because I enjoy being in a bookstore. I did not care for the management. There wasn't much opportunity to advance either and I had to work with a bunch of snooty hipster types. I liked the retirees who worked there part time. I hated having to shill for their stupid membership though. It's a ripoff unless you are in the bookstore spending money every day. i always felt bad talking someone into buying something I wouldn't buy myself.
Bookstores are surviving.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 2, 2016
It's a good place to build a foundation of customer service skills and will add a variety of resume material. Sadly, the management team isn't too concerned with you being taken care of. The people themselves are fantastic; it's like an extended family that you would want to spend holidays with. When it comes to your advancement, be prepared to be waiting for quite a while. The full-time positions will become available is if someone leaves or gets promoted. Overall, I like having worked here but I'd recommend getting out within a couple of years for something better.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Encouraging team to work for.
Barista/Cafe Server (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VADecember 2, 2016
I worked in the cafe and mostly opened the store so the first thing I did was open the cafe every morning which included things like setting up tables, cleaning, start preparations for food and beverages. Typically you open by yourself and someone else will come in once the store opens; this puts a lot of responsibility on you but it's also nice because opening is an easy process if you're focused. My favorite part of this job was my team; I love everyone I worked with. Having a positive and encouraging work environment is so important!
Pros
great team, easy work, always something you can do
Cons
most days are pretty much the same
Productive, fun workplace
Customer service/ section supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 29, 2016
A typical day at work generally involves a lot of customer service and clean up duties, i.e. shelving books and clearing the cafe area. More often than not, the coworkers have been amazing, and it's always a fun, active environment to be in. The hardest part of the job is helping so many people, but it is also the most enjoyable. You have the opportunity to meet a lot of truly amazing people in the process.
Often stimulating and more intellectually-based than most retail environments
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MANovember 29, 2016
Managing a large bookstore can be a challenge, but having intelligent, more mature staff can make things so much easier. The stock itself often tempers the retail grind with intellectually stimulating aspects, and the realization that you are, in effect, contributing to the intellectual, spiritual and emotional well being of your clientele can be most rewarding.
Pros
Stimulating environment, good benefit packages
Cons
Holiday seasons can be exhausting.
Great working environment, Book lovers paradise
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 27, 2016
A typical day at Barnes and Noble would consist of customer care and working cashier counter. However with change of management the store began to change and there began to be a lot of gossip and hostility in the work place. The hardest thing about working here is the constant hour cuts made to their employees making it a struggle to make more money.
Pros
Friendly service, Festive store events
Cons
Rude management, Hours cut, Unreliable paycheck income
A place to develop a strength in customer service
Cafe Associate (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLDecember 9, 2016
Having the ability to satisfy a customer with their favorite drink and our wonderful pastries brightens my day. As a consumer of Starbucks products myself, I do understand the importance of feeling welcomed and accommodation when something is not to my standards. I am grateful to have a management team that cares about their employees and are willing to work with your personal needs. It is very important to have a staff that is willing to work together to achieve a goal, and provided when needed. At times it can become hectic during our high volume hours as well as when under staffed, fortunately communication between co-workers is always there to have a smooth running cafe.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Time of breaks
Fun coworkers and some fun activities
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Thornton, CONovember 22, 2016
There were some really fun job activities like story time for children and new book release events. The part of the job that caused me to leave was, as a manager, a conflict with how the Store Manager and the District Manager handled a situation involving an employee and another manager smoking pot. It led me to have difficult times respecting them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Conflicts over the handling of a disciplinary situation
Company felt like home, staff was like family
Digital Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 16, 2016
Retail can be heck but for 4 years I worked with one of the most pleasant staffs and management teams I've ever had the pleasure to work for. Barnes and Noble as a whole tries to cultivate a atmosphere for those that love book culture. It is the main reason I stuck with the company as long as I did.
Pros
you can check out books from the store, really good employee discount
Cons
it can feel kind of impersonal at the corporate level, not a lot of full time positions, part time pay isn't very competitive
Expect to work hard
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Walpole, MANovember 18, 2016
I worked for Barnes & Noble for many years. It was a wonderful company until 2015. Hours have been cut drastically and booksellers and managers are being made to do the work of three. There is no positivity to be found now. Every morning and every evening we were berated with how badly we had been doing and how there was no way we could improve. I suggest looking anywhere else if you want some positive vibes in your life. This company let me down. The book business is looking better; I hope that B&N can turn things around and appreciate the great staff they still have!
Pros
Benefits; 401K, Medical, Vacations
Cons
Negativity, No support from Store Managers/District Managers, Hard to be promoted from within (get experience elsewhere and start as a SM)
Active, busy workplace with great staff but poor hours.
Digital Lead (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILNovember 12, 2016
Sales allowed me to build strong relationships with customers. Management arbitrarily made scheduling as tedious and rigid as possible; requesting days off for important reasons were next to impossible. Management guilted many of us for doing so, which was unnecessary.
Pros
Interfacing withi customers, co-workers
Cons
Inconsistent hours make scheduling your out-of-work life near impossible.
Great place to work!
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  University Center, MINovember 5, 2016
Barnes and Noble was a great place to work. The managers were cool, easy to talk to, and very helpful. My co-workers were also very helpful. I was hired for a temporary position, which was at the end of one semester and the beginning of the next. For me, the hardest part of the job was doing transactions that required a little more than just scanning the items and proceeding with the check-out procedure. For example, people would come into the store and want to return their items, and that involved more steps to process. However, it was only hard because I was new and was trying to get the hang of everything, I'm sure if I was there longer I would've been able to do it with no problem.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.