Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,538 reviews matching the search
Working as a Bookseller
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJune 22, 2017
You need to be prepared to work and follow the strange rules that the head of the company says Booksellers need to follow. If you're lucky though you'll have a great staff like I did, which will make working at Barnes and Noble much more enjoyable.
Productive and warm enviornment, good starter job.
Cafe Service / Barista (Current Employee) –  Flint, MI 48507June 22, 2017
Barnes & Noble is a wonderful place that I believe is a wonderful starter job. Typical day at work is pretty smooth and managers and coworkers make it a lot better due to how warm and friendly everyone is.
Pros
discount, good enviornment, regulars
Cons
not enough hours
Loved working here
Kids floor lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2017
The managers were awesome and it was fast paced and fun. My loved for books made this place the ideal hob. Ill truly miss it. The sales were I incredible and the customers where actually nice even though it was in new York lol
Great Place to Work
WebSphere MQ Broker Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJJune 21, 2017
Barnes and Noble Education is a great place to work. The people are outstanding. The management were approachable and always open to listening to any issues you may have. It is truly a place where employees come first.
Pros
Good Benefits and the HR crew were exceptional
Fun Environment
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 21, 2017
Loved working at Barnes & Noble. Everyone there is friendly and makes work a wonderful place to be. Looking forward to being a seasonal employee this year.
Great Place to Work
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 20, 2017
On any typical day, you basically do customer service and help customers find books or recommend books depending on what they are looking for. You build relationships with the customers and all the managers work hard to ensure that we provide world-class customer service.
Pros
Free books, relaxed environment for retail store
Cons
Little hours, no benefits
Fun place to work for a summer job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 20, 2017
It's kinda boring as a cashier you can't walk around the store because you have to watch out for customers. I liked some of the customers i had the pleasure to meet. And people i worked with were fun. the hardest part about my job was to sell membership, not a lot of people want to spend $25 for a membership.
Lack of hours and pay
Barista (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJune 20, 2017
This is more of a job to have on the side , it does not pay enough nor do they give you enough hours ranges from 10 to 16 hours max. The management is very poor and they try to cut as many hours as possible no rewards or compensations given they do not really care for their workers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
lack of hours
Good workplace for student - work before or after classes
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 19, 2017
The hardest part of the job is the rush season when students return back to start a new semester. The lines can get ridiculous, especially with those using financial aid to make their purchases.

The work schedule is flexible. Management will work with your class schedule. You'll get discounts on your school purchases and sometimes, free lunch.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 19, 2017
Worked on a college campus so the work environment was more relaxed and customers were mainly students and their families. Both the beginning and end of the semesters can get hectic, but coworkers and management were very supportive. Typical day at work included folding clothes, arranging displays, ringing up customers, and making sure the store is clean and presentable.
Pros
Great coworkers and management
Cons
No benefits for part-time
Average Retail Experience
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAJune 19, 2017
Typical work day centered on assisting customers in their search for store products, cashing them out at time of purpose and upselling products and memberships.
Good
Cafe Server and Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJune 18, 2017
The environment of Barnes and Noble makes it a great place to not only work, but also spend leisure time. The people who work for the store are knowledgable and do not have a "push sales" mentality, because of the nature of education being a vital part to the customers lives. A lot less stressful to work for a retail store that genuinely appreciates the products it sells
Pros
Calm
Cons
Customers
Nice work enviornment, but the upper management was completely unorganized.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 18, 2017
I really enjoyed working in the cafe with my coworkers, but the compensation I received, the lack of benefits, and the overall disorganization of the store was too difficult to keep up with.
great company
Barista/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 18, 2017
-my first job was in the barnes and noble cafe, i loved the environment and the management. one of the best management crews i have had to date. Barnes and Noble firewheel in garland is where i worked. great job but after christmas hours get cut crazy
Pros
people
Cons
hours
Fun, my first job
Bookseller, Head Cashier, Entertainment Lead (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJune 17, 2017
Barnes and Noble was my first ever job. I loved it there and the majority of the people. I liked being able to see the new titles coming out and the discounts we're awesome.
Enjoyable Workplace with a Great Team
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 17, 2017
I've loved working here and have made some great friends during my time. The atmosphere is much more relaxed than some places and the employee benefits are great. You get 50 percent off cafe items, 30 percent off bookstore items, and 40 percent off on employee appreciation days. I've definitely improved my communication skills while working here. The hardest part is probably pushing to sell memberships, because that's what keeps your job.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Low Hours, Sales
Great place to work with good people
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 16, 2017
The staff in the stores holds more degrees than most professional office positions that I have held. They are knowledgable and each has their own areas of expertise. They are always willing to help new staff.

The job is challenging because many customers only have partial information on the book(s) they want. Often you need to conduct research in order to determine the correct book.

There is a lot of lifting and moving of merchandise, some days more than others. The job often requires kneeling, reaching, and pushing heavy carts of books and merchandise.
Pros
Great staff and management.
Cons
Grumpy customers, 30 minute lunches.
productive and fun place to work
Food Preparation Associate (Current Employee) –  Union, NJJune 16, 2017
a typical day at work would be making coffee orders for customers and students. the job is not stressful and you have fun doing coffee and food orders.
Excellent Job for College Students
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJune 16, 2017
This company really emphasizes taking care of its employees and managers value ensuring their employees have a good work-life balance. However, because the company takes such good care of their employees, there is limited upward mobility without a degree.

This is a job in customer service, so all employees at a store level do have to have good people skills and be able to work as a team. That said, my managers tell everyone at every meeting that if they are ever dealing with a customer who is being rude or belligerent to just call a manager because they would rather handle it than have one bad customer ruin our day.
Pros
Excellent company culture, great starting pay
Cons
Limited upward mobility
when I worked there
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 16, 2017
It was pretty cool to work there on campus. I only worked there for a short time due to it being a seasonal job. Overall though it was a good job for a college student.
Pros
wear no uniforms
Cons
over staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval