Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,095 reviews
Stay away!!!
Cashier and Stockworker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 10, 2016
Tyrannical management and blatant favoritism!!! A manager who lies through her teeth to get you in the door with false promises of promotion; an incompetent assistant manager
Pros
Cons
Nutcases in charge
going out of business
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
would not recommend working for this company. They will not be around much longer. Very poor work environment and employee morale.
Pros
30% employee discounts in stores
Cons
too many to name
A fun place to work if you like people and book's.
Sales Associate/ Customer Service/ (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLFebruary 7, 2016
I enjoyed this job because I love book's. delt directly with customers on a daily basis, which I thought was fun and exciting.
Pros
free lunches and great discounts
Cons
not allowed to work over 36 hours.
Well-organized
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickerington, OHFebruary 6, 2016
I work with customers on a daily basis. I also work in the café and as a cashier. The work place is busy and fast paced but also welcoming. I learned a lot about retail and it helped because there was great management. There are no hard parts because I always ask questions and put in my full effort. I really enjoy being able to interact with customers.
Pros
customer interactions
Cons
Fun environment with great co-workers
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 6, 2016
You work a varied schedule, just like any retail job. The pay is expected for the work you do, but the people around you are what makes this place a great company to work for.
Pros
Great management, opportunity for growth, awesome discounts, good job security and benefits
Cons
short breaks, varied schedule, low pay
Every day is different
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTFebruary 6, 2016
Great Company to Work for.
Nice employee discount.
Great co-workers.
No two days are the same.
Advancement is possible.
wonderful workplace
Cafe Server (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAFebruary 6, 2016
i enjoy my job, going to work here is always something i look forward to, employees are wonderful, as well as environment
Great balance of life/work
Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 5, 2016
Productive and fun work place with enthusiastic staff one could learn a lot from which are always welcoming and willing to help. Great balance of work/life
I was a Special Order Customer Service Representative.
Special Orders Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJFebruary 4, 2016
I got to learn a bit about a very early version of SAP. Used Excel, Outlook and Word extensively. Had a very good rapport with supervisors and managers.
Pros
Kept me afloat in between jobs
Cons
Too much printing...
Accommodating, Friendly but Understaffed
Cafe Server (Former Employee) –  Woodmere, OHFebruary 3, 2016
Overall my experience was decent working for the company. Many of my co-workers were kind helpful and inclusive. They often went out of their way to make sure I was fully prepared and helped when I was in need. As a full-time, student management was accommodating with my schedule for the most part but because my particular store was very busy and understaffed it made it difficult to balance our schedules. Not having enough employees can make the work environment a tad hectic but overall a great place to work especially if you are starting out.
Pros
Great people, Good discount
Cons
Understaffed
Loved the atmosphere
Cashier/ Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAFebruary 3, 2016
Great atmosphere, Excellent discounts, wonderful co-workers. I really enjoyed my time here, wish my seasonal employment had become FT, but I enjoyed the 2 years I had working seasonal.
Pros
great discounts, quiet, peaceful atmosphere
Cons
competitive during the seasonal time
Positive and fun work environment.
Book/Music Seller (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOFebruary 2, 2016
Barnes and Noble has been a wonderful place to work. My fellow employees and managers are always helpful and pleasant. There is always something to work on, therefore, it is never dull.
Great Work Environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYFebruary 1, 2016
This was a great place to get my first job! I worked in the cafe, which serves Starbucks products so it was a very demanding but fun job. People are very particular about their coffee, so this job makes you very meticulous, which is a great skill to have. I had the best manager named Lisa, who unfortunately got another job. I just wasn't too pleased with the salary, but I didn't complain because I was a very young with no experience so I ultimately understood.
Pros
Lunch and 15 minute break, very fun place, great hours, ability to switch shifts.
Cons
On your feet pretty much the whole time, minimum wage pay, new store managers frequently (which is out of their control)
Supportive Work Members
CAFE SERVER/BOOKSELLER (Former Employee) –  Bayside, NYFebruary 1, 2016
There were various new members in the store and Managers as well as Veteran Co-Workers assisted us all when we needed it. Managers were helpful and patient with us.
Pros
Percentage off of Items in the Store
busy fast pace fun place to work
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  The Villages, FLFebruary 1, 2016
answering incoming calls looking up books for customer restocking shelves selling memberships. The hardest part of the job is when you first start working there is finding out where everything is at. I enjoy meeting and talking to the customers
Pros
discounts
Cons
little hours
Excellent work environment
Custodian Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Nyack, NYFebruary 1, 2016
Pleasure working with the company. Friendly and helpful staff. Always in a positive attitude. Unfortunate i had to move to a different state.
Bookseller
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 31, 2016
This is not an exciting job. There is not a lot of room for advancement. It is a perfect job for high schoolers and college students. It is a low stress job.
Wonderful coworkers and management team
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MIJanuary 26, 2016
I loved working at Barnes and Noble, I worked at 3 different stores and each one was a family like atmosphere. Great management, wonderful customers.
Pros
Hours needed to be away from my family
One of the best companies to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJanuary 21, 2016
Working around books, and with people who share the same passion for reading and learning, is the most rewarding aspect of the job. It's a great environment, with good opportunities for advancement. The company is also branching out into new product avenues, as to draw in a larger demographic and react to a market that is turning away from brick and mortar bookstores and toward online shopping.
college work study
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAJanuary 21, 2016
Easy office position for work study in the admissions office. Typical duties included answering messages/phones; compiling mailers; answering questions in person; conducting campus tours, etc.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
boring