Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,465 reviews matching the search
Good place
Bookseller/Holiday Help (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 26, 2017
I liked it, since I was only hired to work for a month before Christmas I won't pretend I had a normal work experience. If the pay was better I would be trying to get back full time. Pay might be better if you aren't a holiday temp.
Productive... Exercises place..
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Cranbury, NJMay 26, 2017
I like the thursday, I learned the hiring processing ( very professional ), management very friendly, multiple cultures, I don't like the ---etb line---( it's when you drop the boxes on the line), and I love when the group work united.
Pros
Over time
Nice first Job, fast paced
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 25, 2017
Mostly spent stacking and organizing books and helping customers. Management and culture were nice. Nothing too hard, nothing too easy. Same with enjoyability. I learned what having a job and job related responsibilities is like.
Enjoyable but often unexciting
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 25, 2017
A great place to work for book lovers, and a great community of people. Unfortunately oftentimes there is not a lot to do in the day, and management can be pushy.
Relaxed and Slow-paced work
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2017
• Aided customers in finding desired products and placed orders for items not found in-store
• Maintained workplace, ensuring a clean, safe, and customer-friendly environment
Great place to work in short.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMay 25, 2017
Barnes and Noble is your standard retail environment. Management is fair and very friendly. Co-workers are friendly and helpful toward each other. At times it can be rather slow but as expected during the week and weekends tend to get rather busy. One downside to the job is coverage meaning if someone is to call off it can throw off the entire scheduling of breaks and lunches. Though usually it is handled fairly easily.
Nice place to work but have to be management for full time
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 25, 2017
Nice company to work for, lots of benefits for employees but hours are limited unless you're a store manager. Starting pay not great but as long as you do your job, there are annual raises. I enjoyed working there but didn't get enough hours.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough hours unless you're a manager
Student Employee
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MAMay 25, 2017
Working at B&N College was rewarding. I learned how to work in retail and work with people. However much I enjoyed it as I met students and staff and got to greet people , it wasn't helpful. I was a student and it became hard to keep my hours with my studies. I know it was the same for my peers and the managers at the time were not helpful or accommodating to the fact that we are student workers and not full time employees.
I loved this job
Bookseller/Cashier/Customer service (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAMay 25, 2017
This was one of my favorite jobs I have had. It incorporated my love for people and my interest in books and literature. I was able to recommend books to people and help them find books throughout the store. I thoroughly enjoyed helping people everyday. The hardest part was finding products that our system said we had, yet could not be found on the floor. My management was amazing and always did whatever they could to help us and make us feel appreciated.
Pros
paid breaks, employee appreciation days, special events
Top heavy structure, but one of the better companies out there.
Digital Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2017
The corporate decisions sometimes completely misdirect from the overall goal of personalized customer service. Basically, they keep shooting themselves in the foot. They think that Amazon is their competitor, but really it is the newfound burgeoning of independent bookstore popping up in many urban locations that provide local flavor and a love of books and discussions and fun events.

That being said I have not had a completely negative experience working for this company. It is a positive environment with the right message, albeit they keep too closely to the corporate structure.
Working at Barnes and Noble was an enjoyable experience
Material handler (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 25, 2017
The Barnes and Noble warehouse is a good place to work due to the friendly management and co-workers. It was also a good experience because of the many different jobs that i was introduced to.
A fun place to work for book lovers
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHMay 24, 2017
Work days vary on the time of year, day of the week, and the time of the day. Certain times can be more stressful than others but the people make it fun. The hardest part of the job, especially as a part-time worker who only works a few days of the week, is keeping up with all the changes around the store. You have to know what endcaps and tables exist and what each one promotes. Usually all displays and promotions are switched around on a weekly and monthly basis. Working there, you get the experience of meeting all sorts of new people on a regular basis as well as the regulars.
Enjoyable and friendly work place
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAMay 24, 2017
My job was a Head Cashier. I trained new cashiers, counted drawers and deposit, set up new displays, kept cash register area neat, could override returns. I enjoyed building relationships with the customers and coworkers. There was no negative part about working there.
Pros
fun, calm atmosphere, friendly
Cons
No cons to this job
Standard retail atmosphere
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, RIMay 24, 2017
It's pretty much like working in any other retail environment. You have to be comfortable working with the public, you have to be approachable and friendly. And you have to sell.
Retail
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMay 24, 2017
Take the good with the bad, enjoyable to talk books with customers but hate working nights weekends and especially holidays. Corporate is always trying new procedures and policies, sometimes it feels like they have never worked in a store before.
Productive work, also cross training.
Steward (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAMay 24, 2017
On a typical day during busy hours, I would be a bookseller. Since this was a new store and it was transitioning to a restaurant, I decided to apply for dishwasher. I currently still work there, its just now the hours are getting slow. I applied for part-time work, but now its less then part-time. Otherwise, great place to work.
Pros
free lunch, dinner. discounts on merchandise
Cons
less hours
Productive and fun place to work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAMay 24, 2017
Working at Barnes and Noble was definitely an interesting experience. While working in retail isn't for everyone, this job certainly gave me an opportunity to do something I had never done before. You never know who is going to walk into the store, and it might be challenging for some people to be friendly and courteous to everyone that comes in, especially if they are being difficult. However, it was always rewarding to hand someone that special book they've been looking for for a long time, and to have a chat about the author.
Answering phone calls and helping customers order from your store is a big part of your day, so you must be prepared to do so at all times.
Great place to work and gain experience.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAMay 24, 2017
It was my first job and I couldn't have asked for anything better! If you put in all your efforts then this is a great place to work. There are membership quotas but being polite and friendly to every customer works that out. Managers were very helpful and awesome.
Great place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNMay 24, 2017
The employees are awesome as well as the managers! The team I worked with was very good at communicating with each other and took the time to teach me how to do the job before letting me work on my own.
Pros
Employees were nice, everyone communicated well
Season Employee
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 23, 2017
I only worked here part time during holiday season. Hours were minimal. Co-workers were fun and friendly. Typical retail employment experience. Not much else!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval