Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,893 reviews matching the search
Horrible management
Cafe Server, Barista (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDFebruary 28, 2016
Management was inefficient, combative, and retaliatory. Would pit workers against each other, and would ignore rather than address employee's concerns, even if these concerns regarded sexualharassment, and other types of harassment.

There was often in-fighting between managers.

Led employees on by saying they would give them promotion/raise, would train them for promotion, but never give them the job so they had employees doing upper level work for lower level pay.

Horrible at keeping workers "in the loop."

Store manager is vindictive, and a very poor leader. Retaliates against employees for going to HR, or for putting their two weeks in, threatens the job security of other employees to keep one employee "in line."

Lower level employees such as booksellers, other cafe servers, cashiers, and receiving workers were all delightful. The Head Cashier is a incredibly wonderful person, who made dealing with the bad things worth it, and the assistant store manager is a wonderful man as well.
Poor Management, Fun Job
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Barnes & Noble was a very fun place to work at. It attracts a certain type of employee, which makes it even better. Management was incredibly poor, with horrible management styles. The DM encouraged the Store & Merchandise Managers to a hands off approach, which created many angry customers and employees, especially during rush hours.

The system is incredibly easy to work, and the work can get monotonous, but I absolutely loved the customers we'd get in and the conversations that were had.
Pros
employees, discount
Cons
management, benefits
Great Work Environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYFebruary 1, 2016
This was a great place to get my first job! I worked in the cafe, which serves Starbucks products so it was a very demanding but fun job. People are very particular about their coffee, so this job makes you very meticulous, which is a great skill to have. I had the best manager named Lisa, who unfortunately got another job. I just wasn't too pleased with the salary, but I didn't complain because I was a very young with no experience so I ultimately understood.
Pros
Lunch and 15 minute break, very fun place, great hours, ability to switch shifts.
Cons
On your feet pretty much the whole time, minimum wage pay, new store managers frequently (which is out of their control)
Minimum Wage Job
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXMarch 17, 2016
It is fairly easy to hold a job here. Typically, you could be scheduled to do anything from stocking to cashiering. This is an on-campus bookstore where the clientele is typically either visitors buying school spirit clothing or college students buying either textbooks or something from the cafe. This results in large rushes during the beginning and end of the semester and during football games. Other than that, the store can be fairly slow.

This is a minimum wage position. If you're lucky, you will get promoted to part time and receive yearly raises, but take even one month off and you'll get moved back to seasonal which doesn't get any raises. Even after 2 years of working there, you still won't even be making $8/hr, whereas other companies will start you at $8 or $9. This is exacerbated by the amount of hours being drastically lower in the middle of the semester, especially in the spring. Because of all this, there is a high turnover rate, with few people staying past a year, much less longer.

All that being said, it is generally a secure job. They are also very flexible with scheduling, understanding that most of the people working here are going to school here.
Pros
Secure, Very Flexible, Easy Job
Cons
Poor pay, low hours in middle of semesters
More than a buyer
Magazine Buyer (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJanuary 12, 2016
Buyer was a misnomer at Barnes & Noble where the magazine department was concerned. That position required extensive personal contact with both large and small magazine publishers, distribution executives, and store operations and was more of a negotiators role. In this capacity I increased inventory turn by more than 25 percent and margin by 20 percent. Ultimately left because of no bonus compensation for increasing promotional revenue.
Excellent environment to enahnce interpersonal skills, management always upheld its open-door policy
Music Seller, Book Seller, Cafe Server (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working at Barnes & Noble for years and it was a difficult choice to leave this company in order to pursue my education. My co-workers were great and outgoing people, some of whom have become my close friends. I learned a great deal about different management styles, assimilating new employees into the workplace, and effective interpersonal skills. Unfortunately, I had to make a decision as to whether I should continue working there or pursue my furthered education. This choice along with store closings in my area led to my decision to continue my education.
Pros
Store discounts, fun work environment, very helpful mangement
Cons
Low salary, not where I wanted to work for a living
Fun environment with great co-workers
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 6, 2016
You work a varied schedule, just like any retail job. The pay is expected for the work you do, but the people around you are what makes this place a great company to work for.
Pros
Great management, opportunity for growth, awesome discounts, good job security and benefits
Cons
short breaks, varied schedule, low pay
It had its ups and downs, but don't go in expecting to advance far or fast
Various (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLJanuary 10, 2016
Worked there for several years at multiple locations. It's very easy to get stuck at a dead-end or in a position where your only moves are lateral. The company is very big on advertising that most management moves up from within, but the fact is that store managers have almost 100% discretion, and if yours prefers to hire management externally, your career is going nowhere here.

That said, it can be a great place to be a regular worker or "lead." You have a lot of freedom and flexibility with your schedule and winter have an issue taking off for appointments or children's activities. There's also a very media-rich culture - you'll know the latest music, movies, and books all the time, and it's hard in some ways to go without that when you've been there a while and you leave.
Pros
50% off cafe and 30% off most other merchandise; good for work/life balance
Cons
Micromanagement, no real opportunities to advance
Campus bookstore honestly not so hot
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 27, 2015
The job itself was easy, way too easy at times. I worked at the bookstore at USC-Columbia, which unfortunately had over 13 managers running it (between merchandise, shipments, and textbooks). Because of this, and because they moved students in and out so quickly, most of the managers seemed really standoffish and didn't bother to get to know you at all. The temporary position lasted 3 months, and at the end of 2 months some of the managers still had to ask my name when doing attendance. Once the busy season died down, managers fired an overwhelming majority of temporary employees simply because they didn't want to pay them anymore. Otherwise, scheduling was fine but varied greatly--there were weeks I would work close to 30 hours, and weeks when I randomly wasn't scheduled to work at all. Worst part was they have little to no intention of keeping temporary employees (everybody starts as temps), which meant it was impossible to get a raise so the pay would always be $7.25.
Pros
30 minute unpaid breaks for every 6 hr shift
Cons
minimum wage, poor management, unpredictable scheduling
Great Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxford Valley, PAFebruary 15, 2016
Diversified duties, books, books, books! Assisted customers, worked at cashier and customer service desk. Co-workers were helpful and enjoyable to work with. Insurance compensation even if part-time. Management was fair and approachable. Many hours standing and need to be flexible with schedule - days, evenings, and weekends.
Love it!
BOOK SELLER (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 28, 2016
I absolutely love working here. I work here during the school year and I love the management and the people that I work with. It's such a fun environment and I got a 25 cent raise after 90 days of working there. I love my job here.
Just don't ...
Accounts Receivable Representative (Former Employee) –  Township of Monroe, NJOctober 3, 2015
Pay is LOW for the work you are required to do. after a year of busting your hump you will get a 40 cent raise... Even though the title is accounts receivable this was mostly customer service and training the stores on what to do. you spend most of your time answering calls that have nothing to do with your job because you are a cache for all customer calls! manager isn't fit for the position. will not assist with any issues you have with fellow employees, store managers or customers so be prepared to handle everything your self, not get compensated for it and then get reprimanded when your job can't be accomplished because of the issues you're having. colleagues will constantly try to tear you down, there is NO team work and a lot of cattiness. if you are hard working, intelligent and overall a great addition to a corporate office DONT WORK HERE.
Pros
discount is awesome- 30% in store, 50% in cafe
Cons
everything else
Disconnected Management
Bookseller/Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 15, 2015
I loved working with the books and the customers who had a genuine interest in reading. However, management was horribly biased from store management to regional management. Training was very unorganized and it felt as though we received no support from our higher ups. If we did not meet the unrealistic membership sales,it would be impossible to move up or receive any sort of raise, despite time with the company and other work performance.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor management, unorganized training, unrealistic goals
Suprisingly great benefits, suprisingly good salary for retail
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 6, 2015
It was a different time when I worked for B&N, the business model and the way people find and obtain books has changed dramatically. At the time they paid much better than most other retail companies. I can not say enough about their benefits. Their benefits were actually better than some I had at Fortune 500 companies later in my career. I worked here when I was young but it was a fun place to work, terrific benefits and exposure to great literature.
Pros
Fun, great benefits
Cons
Retail hours, I am sure it is much different now as the way we search for and purchase books
A very poor History section, strong English literature in general
enjoyed working with younger adults (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 29, 2015
Management cared more for profit than promoting literacy. Dress code required.Poor salary, little benefits. Co-workers all College degree holding booksellers. Management poor and envious of Literary and Historical knowledge
Pros
close to home
Cons
poor management
Pros and Cons
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  South Burlington, VTApril 6, 2016
A day at work is not especially difficult. The job itself is not typically challenging, but it can be. You, the employee, are on your feet all day for, on average, 8 hours. There is a lot of bending down and picking up large stacks of books that lazy and inconsiderate customers decide are appropriate to leave on the floor or on the shelves or wherever they please really.
Aside from the people, the cafe discount is great (50%!), and the large and lighted workplace is a happy place to be. The dress code is fair as well.
No room for advancement, though, and the minimum wage is not preferable.
The appreciative, respectful, and thankful customers make it worth it.
Pros
Cafe discount, not a desk job, appreciative customers, easy tasks
Cons
disorganized, no room for advancement, snarky customers, long hours, minimum wage
Great Environment
Head Cashier/Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAOctober 19, 2015
Great on the job training with exceptional co-workers and a management team that inspired productive performances. Learned something new every day, whether faster techniques for visual merchandising, customer relations, sales strategies, or even new and exciting merchandise. Unless you're a manager though, the pay is minimal. However the company offers benefits even to part-time employees.
Pros
Great learning, managment support, productive environment
Cons
Minimum wage pay
Ok place to work
Digital Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 6, 2015
In my experience, employee satisfaction is dependent on the management team as well as your position in the company. The full-time benefits are great and the pay is decent if you've performed well enough long enough to have received several annual raises. However, being part-time and minimum wage is not fulfilling for anyone. Thankfully the company has decided to start paying new employees more than minimum wage and I hope to see morale go up in the future.
Don't expect a quick career path
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 21, 2015
First off let me say that the medical benefits are top-notch. The advancement process is slow and tedious and the future is not very bright. Do not expect to bring any new ideas to the process or think outside the box. That being said if you like books the employee discount and book loan programs are great. In the end, don't romanticize this job because it is a bookstore, it is RETAIL warts and all.
Pros
Employees benefits.
Cons
People seem to think it is a Kindercare or study hall, they have no respect for the product or others who shop there
Great staff, not so great for wage.
Café Lead (Former Employee) –  Clarendon, VAAugust 3, 2015
The Barnes and Noble I worked at was encouraging and the dynamic was fantastic, and I really mean that. The only down side was that the pay was low (as to be expected from retail) and that after I had been promoted to Cafe Lead, there was no way I could be Cafe Manager without switching stores (something I could not do easily since I travel via public transportation). I probably would not have taken the promotion if I had known there was no possibility of me getting hired up past that point and that the raise was not reflective of the extra responsibilities. It was really hard to leave that job however, because I cannot speak highly enough of the people I worked with. Even management was on point and kind.