Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,162 reviews matching the search
Children's Lead. I had a Wonderful time when I actually got to do my job.
Children's Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCJanuary 15, 2017
I loved working in my field and with my co-workers. I loved working on storytimes and creating activities. I got the biggest thrill when I could find the right book for the right little customer. I was the Children's Lead. But I was also a lot of the time required to be in other parts of the store such as the cafe' or the music department or at guest services and that led to customer's in the Children's Department were not being helped or tasks were not being completed and not being able to man two stations at once was not an acceptable reason. Management in my store in particular was not very organized and would pull me out of my are of responsibility to back up other parts of the store but wouldn't give me the same help when I needed it. Overall my experience was very good and I loved helping customers and the people I worked with. I just didn't like the disorganization on the management level.
Pros
co-workers, discount, and the books.
Cons
disorganization, constantly short staffed, and the blame game.
Great start to a job, gets trivial after a couple months.
Cafe Barista (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJanuary 14, 2017
Most days go by quick, I've learned how to mess around with coffees and flavors, the management is okay at best. I love working with most of my co-workers, so that's great. The only hard part of the job is getting hours these days. The only enjoyable thing is when I work with someone I enjoy being around.
Pros
A new experience for me, and anyone wanting to learn how to be a Barista
Cons
Practically no room to move up in Cafe, and rarely do they cross train.
Cool job, but horrible hours, pay, and opportunity
Cafe Server/Everything Else (Former Employee) –  Tulsa County, OKJanuary 13, 2017
If working with books and music is your thing, this really is an amazing job. My coworkers were pretty great for the most part, I worked in all departments so I got a good sample of the overall environment after working there for two years. However, there were some horrible parts about working there. Having communicated to my bosses that I needed more hours, or a raise after having met membership goals and being a solid and dependable employee overall they continued to cut my hours until I was only getting one or two four hour shifts a week. I took on another job to support myself but the management was not compliant with my request offs and my changed work schedule. Their corporate way is pretty cut and dry and leaves little room for employee benefit because after two years of service and only one 50 cent raise I had to give it up because they just stopped giving me hours. Safe to say, I'll never waste my time with this company again.
Well, It Is a Job...
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYJanuary 13, 2017
Came into the job with high expectations. Unfortunately I wasn't enough of an avid reader to be able to fit in. Also the amount of up-selling is ridiculous.Customer interaction was nice and the freedom to work on specific projects alone (when allowed) was also a perk.
Books, book, and more books
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJanuary 13, 2017
A hectic first week when the school semester starts, then tapers off from there. Need good communication skills in order to find exactly what the students need, as well as patience from those who are outraged at the prices.
Pros
More laid-back environment vs. other retailers
Cons
High prices and the rage that ensues because of them
I do not wish to participate in this review.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILJanuary 12, 2017
I do not wish to participate in this review. This sentence has been included to meet the word minimum.

I refuse to share my opinion on my place of work.
Cool place to work
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAJanuary 12, 2017
Lots of fun customers & a lot of regulars who learn who you are. managers are great too. Work with a lot of awesome people. You always get free food from management too.
Don't plan to stay here
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 11, 2017
$11 for morning shift don't get a raise unless turn into driver or plan on staying here for Like 10 years. Pretty easy job. People in the morning shift are cool to get along with. Night shift not so much
Pros
Working morning shift
Cons
Night shift sucks
Quiet workplace where things get done
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2017
There's not much hustle and bustle around the Home Office at Barnes & Noble, which helps everyone to focus on what the company needs and how it can grow. Everyone's friendly; there's a sense of family, even if it's tough to know everyone's names.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Company culture seems rather old school
Management is bad
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 11, 2017
Worked at this location for many many years. benefits are good if you are full time otherwise I would avoid. Great co -workers and environment horrible management the store manager has no problem being extremely inappropriate making fun of employees for medical conditions/ pregnancy and HR just kicks it back to the district and store manager to handle which means retaliation against who called HR. Loved the store and most the people I worked with but can't recommend this job until management changes
Pros
Benefits if applicable, people, discount
Cons
Management, unprofessionalism, hostile work enviroment
Great company
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Worked for B&N in three states in a variety of positions. Flexible schedules, great co-workers in a laid back environment. Good training, lots of challenges and opportunity to learn new positions if interested.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible scheduling
Cons
somewhat low pay, not many full time positions
Really Fun
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 10, 2017
I absolutely love working for Barnes and Nobles. Its a great place to work and if they offered me a full time position I would take it in a heart beat.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
Short breaks
what you would expect from retail
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAJanuary 9, 2017
what you would expect from retail. the work can be difficult and unrewarding but it is also a low stress environment. Barnes and noble does not offer great benefits
First Job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 9, 2017
This was my first job many moons ago. I loved all of my coworkers and have since learned that you don't make lasting friendships like I did here at other places. The cafe is fast paced many times in a day and being quick and efficient is essential to a smooth running day. The pay is a little above min wage, which is expected. If I were to ever move back to that town and needed a retail job I would go back.
Management was not the best and decisions were fueled by favoritism
Lead Bookseller/Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 9, 2017
The location that i worked in was not as organized as the others. This particular location is closing down. Management was unfair and worked off of favoritism.
A Fantastic Place
Magazine Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 8, 2017
Possibly one of the best places to work regardless of whether or not you like books. The workload is manageable and co-workers are always a pleasure to work with. Management is slightly unreliable but usually they tend to be positive.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Once was really great, now its falling apart
MERCHANDISE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 8, 2017
Old Barnes and Noble concentrated on authentic selling and being a supportive, helpful, and fun environment for customers and employees to partake in. However, over the past seven years, the company has been going through big growing pains. In particular, figuring out how to compete with Amazon and other online retailers. This has lead to corporate having a strong disconnect with their employees and many of their customers. They are trying to find their footing in an uncertain retail world. They are having trouble finding a CEO who knows "the book business" and who can run it well, and they are struggling with how to evolve (relying on gifts and toys and games to pad nook and book losses), and trying to build corporate and educational contacts to gain bulk sales and stay essential to their communities. The unique retail niche that is Barnes and Noble, (store, library, community center) is interesting to run but very challenging to be everything to everyone.

The stress of inconsistent scheduling, payroll crunches, and high corporate demands make it a hard company to work for. It was once my favorite job, but with the company struggling this hard, the joy of book selling and customer service has been depleted from it. They are trying to turn it around, I hope they do, but currently, it isn't a job where the expectations of their daily operations equal the pay or the perks their employees receive.
Pros
Coworkers, Customers, Products
Cons
Company is struggling and you can REALLY FEEL IT.
Not Great
Oak Park Mall/ Barista (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 8, 2017
Manager was rude, large disconnect between upper and lower level employees. Wish it would have worked out because I love books and coffee so it really was kind of the perfect job.
Temporary sales rep.
SALES REPESENTIVE (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZJanuary 7, 2017
I got this job as a seasonal worker which lasted about a month but was really fun. You are either a cashier or on the floor helping students find their books. the hardest part of the job was when a customer didn't have their schedule of their classes so we couldn't find their books as fast.
Pros
free pizza or donuts once in a while
Cons
only 30 minute lunch
Not a bad place to work
Bookseller and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYJanuary 7, 2017
I worked at a store before it closed and it was a great place to work. Obviously, even though it is a bookstore, it's still retail. Customers can be difficult, work can be repetitive, standing can be a bit much sometimes and breaks were a little too short.
The discounts were great, being able to read on break was nice,
Pros
Amazing employee discount, great associates
Cons
Breaks seemed to fly by, serious foot pain [get great shoes!], not always scheduled when you want.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.