Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,172 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun day of baking treats and making drinks
BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 22, 2017
A typical day at work for me is organizing the bake case and preparing for close. I almost always change plates and date dots in the bake case. Along with that, I take care of the customers needs as well. The hardest part of the job is when it gets real busy and I constantly have to stop working on the bake case. Some times I run out of things and it makes it look like we are out of a lot things. What I enjoy the most about work is that everyone is friendly and polite, the customers and other employees.
Many hours, and lots of heavywork
Specialist I Bookstore (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 22, 2017
I worked especially with textbooks, and it is harder work than what it seems. The people were really nice, but the long hours and the physical demands made it a little hard. Not recommended for people who are not able to keep up with the hectic pace, with hundreds of things happening at once.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes, nice co-workers and managers.
Cons
Hard work
management
associate for Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJanuary 21, 2017
Management wasn't really on task about things or wasn't around when you needed them. I didn't mind working there but now I been hearing bad things if you are working there. I would not recommened working there, shopping is okay.
Excellent Place to Work
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJanuary 21, 2017
It is fast paced, but totally rewarding. I loved being able to order the supplies, convenience, drinks, and textbooks! The customers are friendly and very patient.
Pros
discounted books
Cons
Short breaks
Great job, awesome people, not enough pay
Receiving/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJanuary 20, 2017
They are an awesome company, but I have never felt I get paid enough for all that I do. They have some kinks they need to work out with communication between the people actually working in the stores and the people in the corporate offices.
What once was is now gone
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 20, 2017
Barnes & Noble changed drastically during my tenure with the company. It went from being more customer-focused and driven- a true bookselling and customer service culture- to all about the numbers. While somewhat understandable, you can't make the sale if you don't have the staffing, drive, or time to help the customers. You are often spread thin, trying to complete tasks and provide customer service at the same time, and getting reprimanded when tasks aren't done or numbers aren't good enough. In my experience, managers spent a large amount of time off the floor instead of helping- one once commented that managers "don't get paid to ring." Seasoned staff is currently leaving by the droves, and little problems that could easily be corrected are being blown out of proportion or ignored until they become "offensible."

One memorable perk of the job was the relationship building with regular customers. It was nice to see them and talk with them- they became friends. The discount is great, and health benefits- even for PT Booksellers- are admirable. The company does continue to evolve, and BN is more than just a bookstore now.

Overall, it was a decent experience, so long as you do as told and don't voice your opinion.
Pros
Respectable discount, strong relationship with regular customers
Cons
short/limited staffing, too much emphasis on numbers & hour usage, managers who believe they are exempt from working (i.e. "paid to manage, not help")
Tremendous Customer Service focus
District Manager - Los Angeles, Ca (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2017
The associates, managers and district managers create a strong network for an outstanding organization. They deliver the best customer service of any book industry out there.
Relaxing
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 18, 2017
I would love to come to work because I would always expect a very relaxing day. Projects were always fun to work on and helping customers was always great because they were always so thankful for our help.
Best Place!!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Barnes & Noble was one of the best places I've worked. I worked at a college bookstore rather than an average Barnes and Noble. It was definitely busy. My boss was very hands on. She was not afraid to get down and dirty with us to mop floors and dust. Barnes and Noble gave plenty of options to move up within the store and even provided options for supervisor/manager training. It was a very relaxing atmosphere. We had a lot of fun but, we did a lot of work.
Productive and upbeat environment, wonderful staff/management
Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 17, 2017
I worked mostly at the customer service desk, but I would also help out as a barista and a cashier. At the customer service desk, I would complete daily projects, such as new books and other merchandise placement. (New Release tables and New York Bestseller displays). However, the main responsibility was to help every customer find what they were looking for, place orders, or make recommendations in a friendly manner. (In person and over the phone). In the cafe, I would make drinks, serve food, clean, and stock. I learned how to better engage with people and how rewarding finding that special book for someone can be. The management team here, as well as my fellow co-workers, were among the greatest people I have ever worked with. Everything was handle in such a professional manner but no one was over bearing. The workloads were even shared and I believe that is what helped everyone get along. The hardest part was learning how to engage a customer while also including relevance to books and other merchandise in the store. The most enjoyable part of this job was being around the books themselves. I have always been such an avid reader and being able to help others find their love of reading was amazing. Helping someone find that new book by their favorite author, or helping a child find that first book that really grabs their attention, it's all so rewarding.
Pros
Employee discounts and book loans for new releases
Cons
You will definitely make your FitBit steps goal!
Children's Lead. I had a Wonderful time when I actually got to do my job.
Children's Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCJanuary 15, 2017
I loved working in my field and with my co-workers. I loved working on storytimes and creating activities. I got the biggest thrill when I could find the right book for the right little customer. I was the Children's Lead. But I was also a lot of the time required to be in other parts of the store such as the cafe' or the music department or at guest services and that led to customer's in the Children's Department were not being helped or tasks were not being completed and not being able to man two stations at once was not an acceptable reason. Management in my store in particular was not very organized and would pull me out of my are of responsibility to back up other parts of the store but wouldn't give me the same help when I needed it. Overall my experience was very good and I loved helping customers and the people I worked with. I just didn't like the disorganization on the management level.
Pros
co-workers, discount, and the books.
Cons
disorganization, constantly short staffed, and the blame game.
Great start to a job, gets trivial after a couple months.
Cafe Barista (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJanuary 14, 2017
Most days go by quick, I've learned how to mess around with coffees and flavors, the management is okay at best. I love working with most of my co-workers, so that's great. The only hard part of the job is getting hours these days. The only enjoyable thing is when I work with someone I enjoy being around.
Pros
A new experience for me, and anyone wanting to learn how to be a Barista
Cons
Practically no room to move up in Cafe, and rarely do they cross train.
Cool job, but horrible hours, pay, and opportunity
Cafe Server/Everything Else (Former Employee) –  Tulsa County, OKJanuary 13, 2017
If working with books and music is your thing, this really is an amazing job. My coworkers were pretty great for the most part, I worked in all departments so I got a good sample of the overall environment after working there for two years. However, there were some horrible parts about working there. Having communicated to my bosses that I needed more hours, or a raise after having met membership goals and being a solid and dependable employee overall they continued to cut my hours until I was only getting one or two four hour shifts a week. I took on another job to support myself but the management was not compliant with my request offs and my changed work schedule. Their corporate way is pretty cut and dry and leaves little room for employee benefit because after two years of service and only one 50 cent raise I had to give it up because they just stopped giving me hours. Safe to say, I'll never waste my time with this company again.
Well, It Is a Job...
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYJanuary 13, 2017
Came into the job with high expectations. Unfortunately I wasn't enough of an avid reader to be able to fit in. Also the amount of up-selling is ridiculous.Customer interaction was nice and the freedom to work on specific projects alone (when allowed) was also a perk.
Books, book, and more books
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJanuary 13, 2017
A hectic first week when the school semester starts, then tapers off from there. Need good communication skills in order to find exactly what the students need, as well as patience from those who are outraged at the prices.
Pros
More laid-back environment vs. other retailers
Cons
High prices and the rage that ensues because of them
I do not wish to participate in this review.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILJanuary 12, 2017
I do not wish to participate in this review. This sentence has been included to meet the word minimum.

I refuse to share my opinion on my place of work.
Cool place to work
Bookseller/Barista (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAJanuary 12, 2017
Lots of fun customers & a lot of regulars who learn who you are. managers are great too. Work with a lot of awesome people. You always get free food from management too.
Don't plan to stay here
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 11, 2017
$11 for morning shift don't get a raise unless turn into driver or plan on staying here for Like 10 years. Pretty easy job. People in the morning shift are cool to get along with. Night shift not so much
Pros
Working morning shift
Cons
Night shift sucks
Quiet workplace where things get done
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2017
There's not much hustle and bustle around the Home Office at Barnes & Noble, which helps everyone to focus on what the company needs and how it can grow. Everyone's friendly; there's a sense of family, even if it's tough to know everyone's names.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Company culture seems rather old school
Management is bad
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 11, 2017
Worked at this location for many many years. benefits are good if you are full time otherwise I would avoid. Great co -workers and environment horrible management the store manager has no problem being extremely inappropriate making fun of employees for medical conditions/ pregnancy and HR just kicks it back to the district and store manager to handle which means retaliation against who called HR. Loved the store and most the people I worked with but can't recommend this job until management changes
Pros
Benefits if applicable, people, discount
Cons
Management, unprofessionalism, hostile work enviroment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.