Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Nice place if you love books
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 20, 2017
I loved books from a young age so working at a Bookstore was what i always wanted to do. When my location closed due to rental increase, i was voluntold to be the cafe manager because of my previous Starbucks experience. Boy did i miss working with books. I missed being able to help a customer find "the one with the blue cover" and knowing the NY times Bestsellers.

However, being a cafe manager i was able to set my schedule based on the needs of the business, hire, onboard, coach, and term all of my own people.

The only reason I left was because brick and mortar book stores are becoming extinct and I need longevity.
Pros
Books, slowpaced.
Cons
Voluntold for positions, longevity
Just dont do it
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTOctober 19, 2017
Seriously, you will regret it. There is no work life balance. Things can be a little better depending on the store manager you are with, but the good ones are few and far between.
fun and friendly
Bookseller and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 19, 2017
I have no review , and am not sure what they want me to say about this place, It's a book store if you want to buy books shop here, ok does that qualify?
Nice place to work.
Café Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLOctober 18, 2017
I worked in the cafe rather than as a bookseller. I wish I would have worked on the floor instead. Working in the cafe can get extremely stressful. You spend a lot of time wondering why you're understaffed. Something that would boost morale in the cafe would be allowing servers to recieve tips from customers. Not sure why there isn't a tipping system already in place.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
No tips
n/a
Sales Representative for Under Armor (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSOctober 17, 2017
nothing to say. it was a job and seasonal at that ok. I hate doing this part o here. a typo. owelp.why do u insist on people doing this. it takes up time I could be using for a job search.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
All Good
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NJ 08831October 17, 2017
Keep up your good work and go places. Management treats you fair. Lunch room has hot and cold food. Salad bar is well kept with early morning bagels or light breakfast cereal.
Pretty awesome job!
Bookseller/Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 15, 2017
Honestly, it if weren't for the pay I would have stayed with Barnes and Noble. I really loved it! It was fun working with people to find books and my coworkers were all very kind. Even management was pretty relaxed overall with very little micro-managing.
Fun work environment and very flexible.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MIOctober 13, 2017
I enjoyed working at Barnes and noble. The hours were flexible and work environment was very relaxed. The option to work during football games was an added bonus.
Immersive if you're a book lover
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 12, 2017
I really enjoyed working here, even as a barista. The cafe management was terrible, but the store's main management was wonderful, and I'd often rely on them. My coworkers were like family, everyone was very supportive. It was busy day and night, especially during holidays. My cafe manager verbally harassed me, on a number of occasions. The last straw was when she pulled me into her office, for 3 hours, and berated me on anything and everything. I put in my two weeks right then and there. I would have absolutely loved to stay, but my cafe manager made it so difficult for me. The atmosphere was so wonderful, I loved learning about new books that were coming out, and events that were held were always uplifting and interesting. We got a small discount on books and other merchandise, but cafe drinks or food were not free or discounted.
Pros
Awesome environment, perfect for book lovers
Cons
cafe management was very lacking, extremely catty behavior.
Wonderful management
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXOctober 12, 2017
I adored working at Barnes and Noble. The management is very good and the employees are interesting and hard working. The pay is poor, so you have to love this job to do it.
Pros
Great discounts, great work culture
Cons
Short breaks, rude customers, low pay
Working with books can be fun but stressful
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COOctober 11, 2017
Working for Barnes & Noble, I expanded my knowledge of how the book industry works and what it takes to be an effective manager. Although I have managed a staff before, the size of my staff on any given shift was much larger than previous jobs. I love working with fellow book nerds, as we self profess, and people that love to read can bring out the best in you as a person and as a manager. The only real difficulty I have run into was the up and down schedule, but that is normal of a retail management job.
hard work gets rewarded.
Senior Corporate Customer Relations Lead (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJOctober 11, 2017
Work place challenges you to do your best and improve yourself. I enjoy being able to fix issues that seem unsolvable. Hard work and dedication are rewarded with growth opportunities.
Pros
Great Benfits.
Cons
Adherence to schedule sometimes supersedes completing the job.
Large Bookstore with Music and Cafe at most locations
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 11, 2017
Large bookstore with a music department and cafe in most stores. Some locations are dedicated to college book sales. Customers can order online through the associate at the store.
Barnes and Noble was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2017
At Barnes and Noble i was mainly a cashier and i learned only about working the registers.I also learned about customer service and successfully making transactions.
Great for high school/ college.
Bookseller/ Café Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDOctober 10, 2017
If you need yourself just a little part time gig then this would be nice for you while you are in school. Staff and coworkers were amazing and you have to love the feeling of being in a bookstore.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short breaks.
Good place to work for if you are looking for a part time job.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 10, 2017
Good place to work for if you are looking for a part time job.
Will work with you if you have another job or obligations. Employees are friendly and wiling to help out when needed.
Pros
discount on books
Cons
on feet all day
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 10, 2017
This is a great place to work. Management works with you any way, including training, making you feel comfortable and appreciable, as a team member. Got great experience working with the public..
Pros
15 minutes break
Cons
Lunch breaks
Barnes and noble
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MA 01960October 9, 2017
Barnes and Noble was very satisfying, I had a varied schedule and I was used to covered many different positions all over the store. Info desk was my usual spot, but I often covered other peoples breaks around the store so everyday was a bit different.

The areas I covered were; Information Desk(my main position), Nook Sales and Support Desk, Music, Cashier, Stocking and Shipping/Receiving.
Pros
discount on books and a great environment to work in. I enjoyed helping both staff and customers
Cons
store labor budget was tight so it was frequently understaffed, causing inconsistent hours per week and missed or late breaks
Great staff, problematic company
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYOctober 9, 2017
Discount and staff cannot be beat. At the corporate level, leadership changes so often that there is no comprehensive strategy that is communicated to stores. This company seems to avoid firing bad leadership at all cost. In stores, there is an excellent culture, very collaborative. Few opportunities to advance at the managerial level because nobody leaves--this can be good and very bad! Fun place for a part-time position, would avoid building a career here.
One of the best places I've ever worked. Wonderful Company
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NY 14219October 9, 2017
I give my highest recommendation to Barnes and Noble. It is a truly wonderful company to work for. The hours are flexible. There are many different positions you can work and the training is great.
Pros
Cons
none that I can think of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.