Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,021 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun workplace with excellent coworkers
Bookseller/Café Barista (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 26, 2016
After clocking in for the shift, previous coworkers tend to set you up for success. Learned a lot about efficient customer service, time management, and staying calm during times of chaos. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a consistent work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great coworkers and seeing customers happy with the product sought after.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks
A challenging position with a lot of reward outside of the compensation.
Café Manager (Current Employee) –  Racine, WISeptember 3, 2016
Barnes and Noble has recognized my talent in regards to building a competent and reliable team and my commitment to providing consistent/excellent customer service to its shoppers. I've been promoted twice in less than three years and have been interviewed as a district training cafe manager. The work-load required of the cafe manager position related to the compensation and expected hours worked/week hasn't made me feel as valued as the encouragement and the acknowledgement that I've received from my superiors.
Pros
Discount, 401K benefit, bonus structure
Cons
retail hours, working well over 40 hours/week
Wonderful Friendly Work Environment.
Head Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJSeptember 19, 2016
This small café in one of the smaller Barnes and Noble bookstores was a treasure to work in. As a manager who worked predominantly alone I was able to really turn the locations previously plummeting sales around. I felt 100 % responsible for the cafes ability to meet its monthly Profit and Loss goals and was very proud of my little corner of the store. Sadly smaller locations were rapidly closing their doors and mine ended up being one of them.
Pros
Positive atmosphere, Self-driven Task Focused style, Health Benefits
Could have been much, much better
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 26, 2016
I started as Seasonal Help during the Christmas season. I found it really easy to get a stop as a regular worker. It's a fun and great job if you like books, movies, and or music. The work itself is pretty simple too. After the landing a part time position I was promoted quickly to a full time Lead. The only drawback was the Store Manager was sexually harassing employees. Upper management, the DM & RM refused to acknowledge the problem, which continued to spiral out of control. It could have been a great job, but unfortunately, for my branch, it wasn't.
Pros
People, Discount
Cons
Hours, Management
It was a solid part-time evening job
Café Worker (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSSeptember 3, 2016
I usually worked in the evenings and knew the closing routine well, completing all cleaning, restocking, and customer service needed, sometimes as the only employee there. I worked weekends then too, and therefore know the opening routine as well. I like working with coffee, and enjoyed the register and espresso machine duties most, though I will never shy away from scraping dried milk off from under the counter.
Pros
Establishing rapport with customers
Cons
Closing time was never consistant, meaning that as a student, I was never sure how much time I would have for studying
Barnes & Noble believes in an enjoyable environment for both the customers and the employees
Shipping & Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2016
Never a dull moment in receiving mostly because there was always something else that needed to be done, but also because I was surrounded by some wonderful co workers. I was one of the managers and we were a tight bunch, always looking for ways to make working for B&N and rewarding and enjoyable experience for all employees. The Christmas rush was always a challenge but the very fact that we always got through made working for Barnes & Noble a very enjoyable experience.
Pros
30 % employee discount
Cons
Work schedules were never set in stone. Had to be willing to work numerous different shifts
Retailer specializing in print media
Assitant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutSeptember 16, 2016
The company has evolved over the last 10 years and has adapted to some aspects of the ever changing retail market. Many changes in management have altered aspects of working for the company. Advancement is there should the person have the personal motivation and desire to achieve it. Benefits are good and the people who work there make the experience that much better.
Pros
Benefits, the people, the excperience
Cons
changes in corporate management, changes to the operations
eh
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYSeptember 17, 2016
The barnes and noble of today ,is much different yhen the barnes and noble of yesterday . Much less secure of a job place and a more of a try anything to see if it sticks desperate measure of a company now a manager there's fear that you could be next to go for any reason AT ALL due to stores being closed and dms wanting to keep and move other managers .
Pros
whats left of the benfits are definitely worth it
Cons
hours for employees are always being cut down / cut back = more work and no time to get it done
If you love books and are passionate about providing service, its a decent place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
I'm very passionate about books, so really enjoyed that part of the job. Most customers are friendly and love recommendations for good books. Turnover, was a bit of a problem. I believe the low pay contributed to that issue, especially with the expectation of open availability and the work that is required.
Pros
Employee discount. 50% in the cafe, 30% most other merchandise.
Cons
its retail so not great for work, life balance
Fast paced, fun retail environment
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLAugust 31, 2016
I cannot say enough good things about my time there. For retail, books are definitely the way to go. Its fast-paced work so you're never bored. Also, being a huge company, benefits for full time employees are great. The clientele can be challenging at times but is mostly smart, broad minded individuals. The same is true for co-workers. The hardest part would be difficult customers, but your managers will always support you.
benefits
Pacient and supportive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 1, 2016
I was sent out to the Delano location where I was left in charge of almost everything. Opening and closing the small text book store,counting the money in safe, and handling any problem presented.
It was an amazing learning opportunity seeing as when I started, I had never even operated a cash register in my life.
The managers were very kind and open to my worries and questions.
Pros
Very kind
Cons
the stress of being left alone
Revolving door looking to employ desperate college students.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAAugust 22, 2016
The typical day at work changed often. It often consisted of helping students find books and checking them out at the register. I learned some skills on the job, however I taught them to myself. Management was inconsistent and poor. The hardest part of the job was the atmosphere and management.
11/10 would not work there again
Pros
Keeping the expired Coke from the vending machines.
Cons
Working there.
The only redeeming quality is that there are books.
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 21, 2016
Everything about working in this location isn't worth that stress and worry that it causes. The customers can absolutely vicious, the management is uncaring and ignorant, and the workload is insane for the amount of compensation. There are some great people looking for books sometimes, but most the customers are mean, creeps, or just hanging around. The team that leads the staff is lazy, dumb, and overall rude to their employees. There are exceptions again, but it still feels like a high school with the amount of interpersonal drama involved with the management. The work is either just flat out too much to do. Or NOTHING.
Pros
Talking to people about books.
Cons
Low pay, hateful environment, uneven workload
Floor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHAugust 12, 2016
Its a family oriented company (but without the racism and hatred that normally entails). You really feel like you are part of a team trying to get projects through to completion. There is an excellent leadership team and plenty of mentoring opportunities. The company is conservative in structure so advancement is slower in certain departments, but you can advance through hard work and putting time in. Cannot recommend enough the culture at MTD!
Pros
Cafeteria with salad bar, Free Gym, Hiking trail through scenic pastures for employees during breaks, smoking cessation programs, tuition reimbursement programs
Cons
Advancement is a tad slow, but is possible.
A fast paced fun job experience!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 9, 2016
Working at Barnes & Noble is a lot of fun. Some days when it's fast paced, you feel energetic and some days when it's slow, it's very boring. The co workers are fantastic, always helping out others in need and extremely loyal. The only hard part of the job is dealing with rude customers which only rarely happens. The hours are very reasonable and flexible. The pay is also fair and reasonable.
Pros
free food, raffles, games & activities, respectful coworkers
Cons
sometimes you might deal with rude customers
Not the best company!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJAugust 14, 2016
In a typical day: dealing with customers, sales, organizing, cleaning and making orders. Flexible hours, good co-workers, tons of deliveries, little space to place stuff!
Pros
Getting the job.
Cons
Not much opportunity to grow with the company, the lazy advance not the hard working, rude management, very little communication between management and employees, poor organization, lack of employee apreciation, dealing with super rude customers.
Productive Work Place
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJuly 26, 2016
I've been working at Barnes and Noble for a year now and I love it. Some days can be stressful but at the end of the day knowing that you fulfilled a customers desire of a particular book is a great feeling. I love all my managers even some that are no longer with the location. The hardest part of my job would have to be the the phone calls and trying to take care of a customer thats in the store at the same time.
Pros
Employee Discount, My Co-workers & Managers, and the pay.
Cons
Rude Customers
Great job, difficult management.
Cafe Server (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJuly 20, 2016
The job entails fast paced drink making, food preparation and customer service. Difficult customers, here and there, but the work is simple once one learns it. However the management often messes up schedules, doesn't listen to availability, and is seldom understanding or helpful in terms of time off, sick time, and even transferring locations. Much personal bias in the annual reviews, as well.
Overall, a great place to work if one enjoys food and drink making and talking to customers. As long as one has another job to avoid making this one a main one due to difficulty with management.
Is ok to work at, if you need a part time job as a student
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJuly 26, 2016
I learned many different skills while working here. The scheduling was flexible with my class schedule when I was a student. During the first couple of weeks and the last week of classes is the busiest time of the quarter. Co-workers were just like family.
Pros
Discount on textbooks after a certain amount of time of employment.
Cons
not enough hours for all the employees to work
Good work/life balance for a retail career
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 12, 2016
Management works 40-45 hours a week, in a generally low-pressure environment. Loving the products you sell helps, as you and your team are there to provide suggestions and generate loyalty. Generally attract a more educated team and enjoy my coworkers and management. Definitely becoming more sales oriented than service.
Pros
good work/life balance, good benefits, relaxed environment
Cons
payroll hours are decreasing as responsibilites are increasing, much more of a selling culture than it used to be