Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,775 reviews matching the search
Quick paced work environment
Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARSeptember 18, 2017
Stepped into work and could see how the day was from just looking around. I learned to manage my time by working around other tasks and juggling as many tasks as possible.
Good first job
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 18, 2017
Nice people, good first job, sometimes a little overwhelming, must be quick on your feet. Overall a good experience, I would work here again. However, not much room for hand-holding.
Fun but low hours
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 18, 2017
I work at a campus book store and besides rush week work is slow and there are not that many hours available. I really enjoy the job when I do work and management is caring and friendly.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Hours
Workplace review
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2017
Typical day at work is greeting customers and making drinks.

The management was not good, they were only thinking about the business and not the employees.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers.
Fun environment and a nice temporary job
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 16, 2017
*I worked at a Barnes and Noble that was part of a university*

Most of my coworkers were also college students, and they were all a pleasure to work with. The work was not difficult, and at the ending of the school semester, the work was constant but not overbearing. Unfortunately, there was not enough work to keep any of the temporary hires on board during the semester. There was work toward the end of the semester and at the beginning of the next semester, but not in between. It was a great environment to work in -- as we were a campus location, most of our clients were there to better themselves and they were a lot of fun to interact with/work with.
Pros
Friendly environment, abundant but easy work for seasonal employees, sometimes sells school-related merchandise at college events
Cons
Lack of work/hours during semesters
Liked working here but that may change
Music Seller (Current Employee) –  West Nyack, NYSeptember 15, 2017
I like working at Barnes & Noble. My problems are that I work in the Music Department and they are getting rid of it. The store manager right now is terrible, she is supposed to be temporary but may be the full time Store Manager. She supports getting rid of the Music Department and is an awful leader. She never introduced herself to me when she came into my department and no one likes her. All the other managers are great. I work very few hours and am being told that HR wants to lower my pay due to that. The pay is low and that's one of the problems. Everybody that works there is really nice.
Pros
Discounts at cafe 50%, Books 20%, CD's/DVD's 20%
Cons
Current Store Manager
Fun relaxing workplace
Cafe Barista (Former Employee) –  Redding, CASeptember 15, 2017
Good place for a first job or a job for a college student. The management culture is great, and the Barnes & Noble employees try to make new workers feel welcome.
A good starting job
Bookstore Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYSeptember 15, 2017
The job was a pretty fun job to start with when you're starting out in the working world. Outside of that I didn't get much else from my employment. So if this a job for anyone that is adding on for their job history.
Good products, adequate company, poor leadership
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 15, 2017
Uninspiring job, company. 8 hours/day, 40 hours/week. Company is trying to find a sales leader (like the Nook e-reader used to be) and is struggling.
Terrific products, good employees.
Pros
Products, discount, employees, work/life balance
Cons
Lack of leadership, lack of advancement, shrinking sales
Enjoyable work environment
Bookseller/head of Children's Department (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYSeptember 15, 2017
Working as a bookseller/ the head of the Children's department was challenging at times but, very enjoyable. It was a fast paced work place but, as long as you were trained well, there were not any problems.
Pros
working with and around literature, as well as being able to use my degree.
Cons
competitive staff
Fun place to work!
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 14, 2017
Very fast-paced environment, friendly co-workers and flexible with shift changes/schedule adjustments. Discounts are great, good training setup from existing managers and staff.
Great workplace with great coworkers
Café as a barista (Current Employee) –  Calabasas, CASeptember 14, 2017
The people are all great. However, the pay and benefits just don't match the hard work that is put in daily. Closing shifts are often elongated and there are big rushes that come in.
Pros
breaks, friendly workers, safe and convenient atmosphere
Cons
low pay, lots of constant work
Family feel environment
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Colonie, NYSeptember 13, 2017
Working at Barnes and Noble is very rewarding, fun, and you get to interact with all different kinds of people and help them with what they are looking for, as well as help them discover new things. You create a sort of family with your co-workers, and managers are always there to help.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Can become stressful with large crowds
it was ok
customer service (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 13, 2017
I liked it here. The customers were very nice and respectful, and the environment was a tranquil place to work in. Everyone was able to get along with each other to get our job done everyday.
Pros
peaceful environment
Cons
pay
Great environment, not great pay
Bookseller and Barista (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 13, 2017
The best place I have worked at so far is Barnes and Noble.The environment is laid-back and friendly, the managers were stellar and worked alongside you, and the discounts were fantastic, especially if you're a book or coffee lover. As a bookseller, the day usually consisted of managing stock, reshelving items, taking customer calls at the "help" desk, working the cashier, selling memberships, and keeping the book floor clear of dust. They often do cross-training so you'll likely be trained on how to work in the cafe in case they need an emergency extra set of hands.
The cafe is very fast-paced and constantly has things for you to do, so your shift usually goes by faster. The environment is definitely more teamwork-oriented as well, which can be frustrating or enjoyable depending on who you are. I know I loved everyone I worked with in the cafe. The only problem with the cafe is that it sells Starbucks Coffee, but is not owned by Starbucks, so you'll get customers upset that they can't use their Starbucks gift cards or because the cafe doesn't have all of the drink/ food options an official Starbucks has.
Pros
Store and cafe discounts, friendly coworkers, agreeable managers, flexible hours
Cons
Minimum wage, few hours
The Greatest Job on Earth
Bookseller/Cashier/Receiver/Barista/Lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Portage, MISeptember 12, 2017
I love this company to it's core. The management I had, the coworkers, the training, the salary/pay, the benefits, EVERYTHING. This is the best job I have ever had, and I am currently trying to get back into the company. It is a positive work place with encouraging peers and fair pay and hours.
Great
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MISeptember 12, 2017
I really loved it there. The pay isn't the best but the people are great and the discount is always a plus. I only ever really got a lot of hours during christmas though.
Great place to work.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 12, 2017
There were some blatant issues with management that no one seemed willing to address despite their negative effect on the store as a whole. Aside from that, this is a wonderful place to work. Fun, flexible, and great environment.
Good to start out
Temporary Barista (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 12, 2017
I was only temporary, but this job taught me the basics of serving coffee and pastries, which allowed me to make advancements in this career. The espresso machines are automatic so steaming and pulling shots are simplified, allowing for basic knowledge.
Pros
multiple breaks, Barnes discounts
Cons
fast paced
Friendly and understanding enviroment
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PASeptember 12, 2017
The managers are flexible with your availability and the staff is overall very friendly and cooperative. the customers are wonderful, you have the occasional grumpy ones, but it's still a very happy store.
Pros
Paid 15 minute breaks, rewards when you meet sales goals, supportive team attitude
Cons
pressure to sell memberships

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval