Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,985 reviews matching the search
nice people to work with
Cafe Lead (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 24, 2016
nice place and good coworkers to work with. distance from home especially with highway every morning. the most enjoyable was meeting new people and nice selection
Fun but chaotic place to work
Cafe' Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDAugust 22, 2016
My job of making coffee was enjoyable and i loved my co-workers but management was horrible to me and that is why i left. My cafe training was lengthy, in depth, and fun. My co-workers became like a second family to me.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
poor pay, poor treatment from managers
Revolving door looking to employ desperate college students.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAAugust 22, 2016
The typical day at work changed often. It often consisted of helping students find books and checking them out at the register. I learned some skills on the job, however I taught them to myself. Management was inconsistent and poor. The hardest part of the job was the atmosphere and management.
11/10 would not work there again
Pros
Keeping the expired Coke from the vending machines.
Cons
Working there.
Book lovers paradise.
Cafe Lead (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 22, 2016
If you are a booklover this is the place to work. I started there part-time because I spent most of my free time there. My favorite place to work was in receiving. I saw all new merchandise as it came in.

Most of the co-workers were high school or college students, much younger than me.
Great environment with very flexible scheduling
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 22, 2016
Great place to work. Paid vacation time for part time and full time employees. Very flexible scheduling. Fun work environment. Fast paced.
Good place to work if you're a reader, but a lot is expected in return for not much in the way of compensation.
Digital Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2016
Being a reader, I enjoyed working with books and the people who read them, both employees and customers. In addition to being the Digital Sales Lead, I primarily worked the Customer Service desk, dealing with people both in the store and over the phone. This involved helping people find the books and other merchandise they were looking for, and often just helping them to determine which book, or item, they actually needed. Since I like helping people, working Customer Service was for me very enjoyable. Ironically, it could also be the worst part of the job, as anyone who has dealt extensively with the public can attest. Some people just can't be pleased, no matter what you do for them. When I came into this job, I already had extensive book knowledge, both from my own reading and from having worked in the business once before for nine years. I did learn a lot, though, both about new authors I had not known before, and about he book business in general. The management at my store was generally quite good, both in terms of knowledge and in managerial ability.
Pros
Employee discounts; friendly, team-oriented employees; seeing the new books coming out
Cons
A lot of work expected from too few people
Love being around books, readers, writers, helping people.
Community Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Round Rock TXAugust 19, 2016
The best thing about the job is the people and the books. Love meeting and working with new and established authors. Helping people discover new books!
Pros
Free books!
Cons
Christmas in retail!
Fast paced workplace with opportunity to push yourself
Cafe Worker (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 18, 2016
In a cafe environment such as this one, you learn how to stay composed under pressure, produce great customer service, the importance for team work and building, also including utilization of multitasking.
Pros
15 Minute breaks that are paid
Very nice employees
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLAugust 17, 2016
Many of the people I work with were very nice and welcoming. Most days were very busy. If our going to work at any Branes and Nobles branch I recommend comfortable walking shoes. You will be stand for usually over 7 hours straight.
Great starting point
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Pleasantville, NYAugust 17, 2016
Working at Barnes & Noble taught me a great amount of customer services, sales, & marketing. I was able to serve students and families with their educational needs.
great culture
Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILAugust 17, 2016
I loved coming into work. I loved the people. I loved the books. I loved the people I worked with. I worked on the floor, behind the register, at the help desk, as a shelver, and as a barista.
Pros
great discount
Cons
poor compensation, poor life/work balance.
If you have to work in retail...
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAAugust 16, 2016
If you have to work in retail Barnes and Noble is probably one of the better places to work. You're surrounded by books and people who enjoy reading all day and the employee discount is a beautiful thing. Moving up is hard and takes a long time/a lot of work.
Pros
Employee discounts, types of employees, books.
Cons
Lack of mobility, hours (if not full-time), salary.
Retail Minded, Customer Focused, Employee Centered
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Barnes and Noble MassachusettsAugust 15, 2016
Barnes and Noble was a great work experience. Everyone is responsible for themselves, and in my employment I found a great work environment and enjoyable co-workers and managers. It is a very physical job, but you find your own area of enjoyment. Customers are your main priority...work load is sometimes very heavy.
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 14, 2016
my co.workers are very outgoing,thy helped me when i needed help but management was horribe didn't get enough work hours they pay of rate was horrible especially for all the work they make you do
Pros
great experience alot of fun
Cons
pay rate, hours
Not the best company!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJAugust 14, 2016
In a typical day: dealing with customers, sales, organizing, cleaning and making orders. Flexible hours, good co-workers, tons of deliveries, little space to place stuff!
Pros
Getting the job.
Cons
Not much opportunity to grow with the company, the lazy advance not the hard working, rude management, very little communication between management and employees, poor organization, lack of employee apreciation, dealing with super rude customers.
My experience
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAAugust 13, 2016
I help customers locate products throughout the store. I learn how the retail stores operated. my coworkers were friendly. the hard part of about the job crazy customers
Pros
the pay
Cons
short hours
Floor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHAugust 12, 2016
Its a family oriented company (but without the racism and hatred that normally entails). You really feel like you are part of a team trying to get projects through to completion. There is an excellent leadership team and plenty of mentoring opportunities. The company is conservative in structure so advancement is slower in certain departments, but you can advance through hard work and putting time in. Cannot recommend enough the culture at MTD!
Pros
Cafeteria with salad bar, Free Gym, Hiking trail through scenic pastures for employees during breaks, smoking cessation programs, tuition reimbursement programs
Cons
Advancement is a tad slow, but is possible.
Productive and Fun Workplace with a great staff
Head Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJAugust 11, 2016
It was a great company full of an amazing staff and fun management team. my most enjoyable part of my job was coming in and seeing my co-workers and enjoying each shift.
Got along with one Manager but not the others.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILAugust 10, 2016
Loved my coworkers but mangers could be a bit difficult. Only one manager understood what us as booksellers went through in the store with customers. Was a great place to learn about multitasking.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lombard ilAugust 10, 2016
Good workplace friendly enviroment good salary an everyday view of working at barnes and nobles consists of arranging books reselfing greeting and being responsible for customers
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breams