Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,995 reviews matching the search
Productive Workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 29, 2016
- It was fast-paced
- There was always something to do
- Coworkers were very helpful
- Easy scheduling with management
- The hardest part of the job was when it got busy and we'd run out of supplies.
Barnes & Noble believes in an enjoyable environment for both the customers and the employees
Shipping & Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2016
Never a dull moment in receiving mostly because there was always something else that needed to be done, but also because I was surrounded by some wonderful co workers. I was one of the managers and we were a tight bunch, always looking for ways to make working for B&N and rewarding and enjoyable experience for all employees. The Christmas rush was always a challenge but the very fact that we always got through made working for Barnes & Noble a very enjoyable experience.
Pros
30 % employee discount
Cons
Work schedules were never set in stone. Had to be willing to work numerous different shifts
A lot of work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  West Columbia, SCAugust 28, 2016
It often seems like work far outlasts day/week. The store hours are great, the culture is good. It had always seemed like the advancement is possible.
Pros
Nice Environment
Cons
Pay
Could have been much, much better
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 26, 2016
I started as Seasonal Help during the Christmas season. I found it really easy to get a stop as a regular worker. It's a fun and great job if you like books, movies, and or music. The work itself is pretty simple too. After the landing a part time position I was promoted quickly to a full time Lead. The only drawback was the Store Manager was sexually harassing employees. Upper management, the DM & RM refused to acknowledge the problem, which continued to spiral out of control. It could have been a great job, but unfortunately, for my branch, it wasn't.
Pros
People, Discount
Cons
Hours, Management
co-workers
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2016
I got along really well with all of my co-workers and I still go and visit sometimes. Sometimes there were really long days on your feet but it was never unbearable.
Best. Place. Ever.
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 25, 2016
I started Barnes and Noble when I was 16. The place had a fantastic environment. I was already a bookworm and to be among other people who loved the books was just amazing to me. My co-workers were supportive and welcoming. We are required to promote products and services such as books, Nooks, Member Card, etc. We are able to support one another, give tips and suggestions, discuss what works and what doesn't.

Management is out of this world outstanding. They are not our bosses, they are leaders. They cheer us on and support us. There is a clear and open line of communication, which definitely makes the job easier.

One the job, we have several departments. There's cashwrap, where you help customers check out. At customer service, we are helping customers find products and putting away products. In the music department, we are there to assist and order whatever we may not have in store.

I am cross trained so I'm pretty much everywhere. I love my job. All aspects. You can always expect a challenge. It's a place where I get lost in my work, but I don't really mind. It's totally worth it.
Best Work Environment
Department Head - Cafe and Gift (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHAugust 24, 2016
My team is amazing and the culture is not only preached but they walk the talk also. Caring and compassionate, supportive and fun - I have never worked for a better company in my twenty years of managing.
nice people to work with
Cafe Lead (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 24, 2016
nice place and good coworkers to work with. distance from home especially with highway every morning. the most enjoyable was meeting new people and nice selection
If you love books and are passionate about providing service, its a decent place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
I'm very passionate about books, so really enjoyed that part of the job. Most customers are friendly and love recommendations for good books. Turnover, was a bit of a problem. I believe the low pay contributed to that issue, especially with the expectation of open availability and the work that is required.
Pros
Employee discount. 50% in the cafe, 30% most other merchandise.
Cons
its retail so not great for work, life balance
Fun but chaotic place to work
Cafe' Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDAugust 22, 2016
My job of making coffee was enjoyable and i loved my co-workers but management was horrible to me and that is why i left. My cafe training was lengthy, in depth, and fun. My co-workers became like a second family to me.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
poor pay, poor treatment from managers
Revolving door looking to employ desperate college students.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GAAugust 22, 2016
The typical day at work changed often. It often consisted of helping students find books and checking them out at the register. I learned some skills on the job, however I taught them to myself. Management was inconsistent and poor. The hardest part of the job was the atmosphere and management.
11/10 would not work there again
Pros
Keeping the expired Coke from the vending machines.
Cons
Working there.
B&n
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 22, 2016
Was a great place to work
Enjoyed the perks of the discounts.
There were some awesome people to work with.
I have been called back to volunteer for the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child release.
Book lovers paradise.
Cafe Lead (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 22, 2016
If you are a booklover this is the place to work. I started there part-time because I spent most of my free time there. My favorite place to work was in receiving. I saw all new merchandise as it came in.

Most of the co-workers were high school or college students, much younger than me.
Great environment with very flexible scheduling
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 22, 2016
Great place to work. Paid vacation time for part time and full time employees. Very flexible scheduling. Fun work environment. Fast paced.
A bookstore that no longer cares about books (or the people that sell them)
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 22, 2016
B&N is a company that has lost its way. In my 6 years with them they cut store payrolls by 40%, and in doing so have removed the souls of those that work there and love books. The biggest reason to go to a book store, a book recommendation, is dead. This is because of minimum staffing levels and minimum wage hiring have kept prolific readers from applying and current staff. Existing staff are overworked, underappreciated, and actively discouraged from spending time developing relationships with customers by taking the time to suggest titles and authors. What good is B&N if all you get there is a search assistant and a cashier? You really can go to Amazon for that. If B&N wants to survive they need to go back to being more than that.
Good place to work if you're a reader, but a lot is expected in return for not much in the way of compensation.
Digital Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2016
Being a reader, I enjoyed working with books and the people who read them, both employees and customers. In addition to being the Digital Sales Lead, I primarily worked the Customer Service desk, dealing with people both in the store and over the phone. This involved helping people find the books and other merchandise they were looking for, and often just helping them to determine which book, or item, they actually needed. Since I like helping people, working Customer Service was for me very enjoyable. Ironically, it could also be the worst part of the job, as anyone who has dealt extensively with the public can attest. Some people just can't be pleased, no matter what you do for them. When I came into this job, I already had extensive book knowledge, both from my own reading and from having worked in the business once before for nine years. I did learn a lot, though, both about new authors I had not known before, and about he book business in general. The management at my store was generally quite good, both in terms of knowledge and in managerial ability.
Pros
Employee discounts; friendly, team-oriented employees; seeing the new books coming out
Cons
A lot of work expected from too few people
Love being around books, readers, writers, helping people.
Community Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Round Rock TXAugust 19, 2016
The best thing about the job is the people and the books. Love meeting and working with new and established authors. Helping people discover new books!
Pros
Free books!
Cons
Christmas in retail!
Fast paced workplace with opportunity to push yourself
Cafe Worker (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 18, 2016
In a cafe environment such as this one, you learn how to stay composed under pressure, produce great customer service, the importance for team work and building, also including utilization of multitasking.
Pros
15 Minute breaks that are paid
Very nice employees
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLAugust 17, 2016
Many of the people I work with were very nice and welcoming. Most days were very busy. If our going to work at any Branes and Nobles branch I recommend comfortable walking shoes. You will be stand for usually over 7 hours straight.
Great starting point
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Pleasantville, NYAugust 17, 2016
Working at Barnes & Noble taught me a great amount of customer services, sales, & marketing. I was able to serve students and families with their educational needs.