Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,994 reviews matching the search
Love books? You'll love Barnes & Noble
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 28, 2016
As a part-time side gig, Barnes & Noble is a great place to work for book lovers. Getting to know what customers are looking for and are interested in, as well as getting to recommend personal favorites, all the while enjoying a nice employee discount for yourself. Barnes & Noble also works to let employees know that they're appreciated, while encouraging a positive teamwork atmosphere, and accountability even if things go sour.
Pros
Decent employee discount, being with all the books
Cons
Retail is as retail does
Excellent work environment with great co-workers and outstanding management
Seasonal & Part-time (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 27, 2016
A typical day at Barnes and Noble is delightful. I enjoy my co-workers and management but mostly enjoy helping customers find what they need. I really cannot think of anything negative about this job except that the pay is only minimum wage; that is the only "hard" part." Other than that, I love working there!
Pros
Great discounts! Great environment! Great customers!
Cons
No benefits for part-time
Low pay, low stress (for retail)
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 23, 2016
It's a book store. The atmosphere is pretty relaxed for a retail establishment, although that is changing with their focus on Nook Sales.

Work is generally scheduled in short, 4 to 8 hour shifts. It's called flex scheduling.

For non-management, the job is pretty low stress, basic retail: finding books, chatting with customers, running a register, sorting and alphabetizing books, etc.

I was with the company for 5 years, 2 of them part time. I started making minimum wage and made it up to management making $10.50 an hour.
Pros
Low stress in non-management positions
Cons
Terrible pay and benefits.
easy and fun job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTJuly 6, 2016
Wasn't always too busy, or too slow. The perfect amount of customers. I learned food handling and drink making skills along with customer service skills. The management was strict, but efficient. My co-workers were great and made the day go by faster. The hardest part of the job was difficult customers. The most enjoyable part was making friends with co-workers and the regulars.
If you have to work in retail...
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAAugust 16, 2016
If you have to work in retail Barnes and Noble is probably one of the better places to work. You're surrounded by books and people who enjoy reading all day and the employee discount is a beautiful thing. Moving up is hard and takes a long time/a lot of work.
Pros
Employee discounts, types of employees, books.
Cons
Lack of mobility, hours (if not full-time), salary.
Great fun when books were the focus
Community Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 20, 2016
I worked for B&N when this type of store was a fairly new concept. For about 4 years I loved my job as the Community Relations Manager (before 9/11). After that, it was all about the money. You will work with some great people. I found the store management to be pretty good, but upper management clueless and focused on unimportant minutia rather than really helping their store staffs. Enjoy working here while you are young or are in a position to just do it part-time.
Pros
All the books you can read for free! Co-workers are great.
Cons
Long hours, periods of time when you work more than you want and times when you can't get enough hours.
Productive workplace with great atmosphere and room to grow
Music/DVD Lead, Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 17, 2016
Barnes & Noble can be a fast-paced but exciting place to work. No matter which department you work in on a given day, you're likely to be very productive and hard at work, but it is not overwhelming. The building has a calming but professional atmosphere at all times, and the management is fantastic at keeping everything in check and fully functional. They are also human, and listen to the needs and complaints of their employees and strive to provide the best environment for everybody. It is very rewarding helping people find what they are looking for and have a smile on their face.
Pros
Great atmosphere, adequate break time during shift, excellent staff
Retail Minded, Customer Focused, Employee Centered
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Barnes and Noble MassachusettsAugust 15, 2016
Barnes and Noble was a great work experience. Everyone is responsible for themselves, and in my employment I found a great work environment and enjoyable co-workers and managers. It is a very physical job, but you find your own area of enjoyment. Customers are your main priority...work load is sometimes very heavy.
This particular store was horrible
Community Business Development (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJuly 15, 2016
The store manager that I worked for was the worst manager I have ever known. She always had to make sure she knew who to blame for anything. She created a terrible store culture . People were afraid to talk to each other . Employees were leaving at an extremely high rate. One person even walked off the job after a month
Excellent work place environment with knowledgable and talented managers and co-workers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 9, 2016
Excellent environment to work in for people who love books, being around other people. Working at Barnes and Noble has structure and I knew what I was supposed to be doing at all times and had the ability, resources, and team members to complete my tasks. I learned the ins and outs of bookselling and customer service and sales. Co-workers are easy to get along with because most work at Barnes and Noble due to a common interest in books. I felt safe and secure working at Barnes and Noble and would have continued working there had I not needed to move.
A hardworking but fun working environment!
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  E Northport, NY 11731May 25, 2016
Working at Barnes and Noble has been one of my favorite work experiences thus far. I work with all people whom I look up to and love working with. The team is fun, understanding, hardworking, and good at communication with their employees and customers. I've always wanted to work with animals so this is just a way to move on and start living my dream!
Pros
Having a Cafe
Cons
low salary
unfair
Manager (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJuly 11, 2016
They gave me a position as a manger around sept promising full time. Once the holiday season was over they conveniently terminated me for leaving the store to smoke outside as I did all those months with no complaints. But since we didn't meet our store goal they were cutting the fat. Terminated me after i left my job of 3 years to work for them. Horrible experience.
A fun place to work
Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 1, 2016
Working for Barnes and Noble is a pleasure. There are projects, deadlines, decisions to make, and problems to solve, but the pressure is low. The environment simply can't be beat. Cross training and multitasking keeps things engaging and interesting, and the management is flexible regarding family, school, and second jobs. Base pay is low, but the benefits are excellent.
Pros
Discount, benefits, enviroment, flexibility
Cons
Low base pay, inconsistent schedule, hours of operation
I really loved barnes and noble
BookSeller (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMay 6, 2016
The work environment was wonderful. My coworkers were fantastic. I loved how involved the management team was! They set up games and we would all stay late to play! It was definitely a family environment and it was also a great place to escape too. They gave me lots of hours and I got paid weekly. I would volunteer to stay as often as I could. Great place. Wish I hadn't been seasonal!
Pros
Can "rent" books. Discounts on books.
B&N can be great
Bookseller/cashier/Music Seller (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COApril 30, 2016
B&N can be a great place to work, if you are willing to be flexiable with how little hours you get. Unless you want to go into management, there are NO full time positions. Leadership within management is varying, depending on store location. Discounts are decent. Head Cashiers at my location come and go within weeks or months. Too much pressure to sell memberships and now BN Master Card. Too many managers can ruin a store.
Pros
Fun people, good discounts
Cons
pushing of memberships and credit card
Cafe Manager
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Morris Plains, NJApril 29, 2016
Horrible job no support from management. Went through 9 managers in 3 years and now I see position open again. Not enough staff in cafe. Store was dirty really not enough time and staff to clean properly. Store manager was horrible only cared about keeping labor cost down. Asst Managers just as bad. I do not recommend this job at the Morris Plains New Jersey store to anyone. Terrible work environment.
Pros
Discount on books
Cons
Not enough staff
Fun and easy
Sales Associate/Barista (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAApril 25, 2016
The job was easy. Finding books for customers was hard and sometimes impossible at times. Our regulars were fun to talk to and definitely made the job easier. Some even helped other customers if we got too busy. The management was by far the best ive ever worked with. The other co-workers were nice and laid back. I guess one of the downfalls for me was trying not to spend money every time i went in to work. There was always some book or trinket that i found that at the time i felt like i needed.
Pros
fun and laid back
Cons
slow business, not a lot of hours
Calm and non-stressful atmosphere
Merchandising Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 24, 2016
I am a college student and work at the campus bookstore. All employees at the bookstore get along and we are constantly trying to better the store and improve business. The bookstore is in a temporary building due to reconstruction, so it's not appealing to college students. Distributing and collecting books at beginning and ending of the semester gives us a busy season, however off-season is slow. This is great thought because with working in between classes or at night, you don't leave work stressed or mad ever. Very good for your mentality.
Cons
Super slow
Requires great multi-tasking, sorting, and navigation skills
Cafe Server & Book-floor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 9, 2016
Take over duties within the Starbucks Cafe by ringing up customers, making drink orders, and cleaning the work stations. If on the book floor I usually would ring customers up, find desired product for customers, and put product away on shelves.
Pros
Free lunches and parties
Cons
4 hr shifts usually
Nice cafe with a friendly staff
Barista-General Labor-Open Mic (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 30, 2016
Barnes and Noble cafe was a fun place to work. Mornings were very busy and the team I worked with was fast and efficient. I enjoyed learning about the cafe business and had a great time serving customers and selling great products.
Pros
High quality products served by a great team
Cons
seasonal only