Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,955 reviews matching the search
Pros and Cons
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  South Burlington, VTApril 6, 2016
A day at work is not especially difficult. The job itself is not typically challenging, but it can be. You, the employee, are on your feet all day for, on average, 8 hours. There is a lot of bending down and picking up large stacks of books that lazy and inconsiderate customers decide are appropriate to leave on the floor or on the shelves or wherever they please really.
Aside from the people, the cafe discount is great (50%!), and the large and lighted workplace is a happy place to be. The dress code is fair as well.
No room for advancement, though, and the minimum wage is not preferable.
The appreciative, respectful, and thankful customers make it worth it.
Pros
Cafe discount, not a desk job, appreciative customers, easy tasks
Cons
disorganized, no room for advancement, snarky customers, long hours, minimum wage
Enjoyable to work in
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIJune 8, 2016
-stay busy
-how to cashier and how retail works with book stores
-Management is wonderful
-Co-workers are great and enjoyable to be around
-The music department can be challenging to figure out at first
- - Working with everyone and being able to help people find books they want
Pros
People, enviorment and co-workers
Cons
20 minutes from home
Fun group of employees to work with. Never a dull moment
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLApril 20, 2016
All co-workiers are always there to help one another. The managers chip in too. No matter what problems there are, they seem to get resolved rather quickly. There doesnt seem to be a hard part of the job. Actually the hardest part is saying no to helping an employee or manager
Pros
some benifits even for part time, Fun to be there
Cons
Some slow times
Fun and Quick-Paced Work Environment
Barista/Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 11, 2016
A standard shift requires attention to detail, phenomenal customer service and support, and ability to actively think on the spot. Learn to properly handle tills, prepare food based on regulatory details, and serve customers to the fullest potential. Staff is friendly, pursuant, determined, and willing to extend great service. Management provides excellent quality work ethic. Teaches how to efficiently perform the tasks at hand, as well as maintain a punctual and time-manageable environment for everyone involved. Most enjoyable part of the job is learning something new about franchised corporations everyday, as well as meeting new people.
Pros
Free lunches, Meeting New People, Learning Proffesional Kitchen Standards
Cons
Understaffed at times, Overcrowded lines
This place is a joke
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMarch 24, 2016
Working here was probably the worst mistake of my life. They managed to hold out on our checks and not give us the pay we earned. First week you're overworked, 35-40 hours, then you're lucky to get 3 days a week. Management is petty, they seem to think this is just a high school girls bathroom where they can talk about whoever and no one hears about it. They can take as long as they can on lunch breaks but if we're a minute late were reprimanded? We're ALL supposed to get only 30 minutes.
Don't waste your time working here, it's not worth the money they take from you.
Pros
Your co workers are outstanding and friendly
Cons
Management, hours, pay
interesting place
bookseller (Current Employee) –  Glendale, COJune 23, 2016
Working for Barnes and Noble has been an interesting experience. I've gotten to work with and meet lots of interesting people. Seeing different authors come in for signings has been neat, doing events for Denver Comic Con and Get Pop cultured at the store has been fun. I've been there seven years and have seen many changes happen within the store and around the neighborhood it is located in, some not always for the better. I've liked my co-workers and at times it has been a good place to work but unfortunately things have changed in the managers and type of people who come in. Customers seem to have "better than thou" attitudes, managers don't support or back up employees, they cater to people who just come in and loiter and trash the store. Way past time to leave the job.
Pros
employee discount, fun event days.
Cons
no consistent schedules, short hours, long commute for some, unsafe neighborhood.
Flexible Hours for Students
Barista (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VA 24502June 20, 2016
Working for Barnes and Noble has been a good experience, and was especially flexible with my class schedule. However, I do not see any room for future advancement within this company and continued cuts on work hours have forced me to look elsewhere for employment.
Pros
discounts, flexible hours
Cons
minimal scheduled hours
Fantastic people to work with expert knowledge in their respective areas.
Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  new york, nyJune 27, 2016
B&N is a great company to work for in that the people make the company. i've learned that to advance you must work 24/7 and show that you care about every aspect of the company even though it is not your area of speciality.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
politics
Great part-time work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXJuly 12, 2016
Barnes&Noble values their employees and provides a pleasant place to work. Although their can be small problems with management, there are normally enough managers to figure the problem out. When customer traffic is heavy, I have never had a problem receiving help when needed.
Pros
flexible, good pay
Cons
limited hours
Fun Work place with much diversity
Bookseller, Musicseller (Former Employee) –  Northville, MIJuly 18, 2016
Typical day at work was helping customers find what they needed with very diverse interests. I would perform zone maintenance making sure all products were where they were supposed to be along with receiving and and placing inventory. I learned much about customer service and inventory as well as working with a team and the entire process performed in a retail store (receiving and preparing inventory, customer service, cashiering, etc.)

Management was amazing and very cooperative and willing to teach. My co-workers were fun to work with and we all had books and movies in common making it very easy to make lifelong friends.

The hardest part of the job was high rate of turnover in management. The most enjoyable parts of my job were the books, the awesome co-workers, and the unique customers.
Pros
Unique customers, Employee Appreciation Week
Cons
High Management Turnover
Wonderful Work Atmosphere
Barista/Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 27, 2016
Working at Barnes and Noble has been the best job I've come across so far. My coworkers are amazing and the job is so fun. This job has helped me with my customer service skills as well as customer relations. You will become familiar with all the regulars and know their orders by heart.
Pros
discounts
Great atmosphere to work in and great discounts in the cafe as well as the bookstore
Cafe Server (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJune 2, 2016
Barnes & Noble has a nice ambient atmosphere which is great for reading and even working on your computer. The employee discount is nice as well due to the significant percentage one receives off. My coworkers are hardworking and motivated people.
Fun and busy workplace
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTJuly 21, 2016
Good place to work with varied responsibilities daily. High turnover among staff made flexibility a must. Unfortunately, revolving door of managers made a consistent management style difficult to maintain. Free book lending program for staff members a huge perk.
Pros
varied tasks
Cons
mediocre pay
Family oriented atmosphere
Lead Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Naperville, IL 60540March 7, 2016
As someone who loves to read, I really enjoyed working here. Helping customers with book recommendations, was one of my favorite things. I was in charge of the bargain, magazine and gift department. I really appreciated the opportunity I was given to run it my way. Discovering and creating a more officiant way of organizing my department. This position really honed my memory and organizational skills.
Pros
Wonderful work environment, and employee relationships
Cons
Many repetitive tasks
Learning Experience
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  86 streetMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work would be that, I would start off on the cash register and then I would go and start fixing a the each of the best seller books, so that they can look presentable. I think the biggest thing that I learned would that, its okay to ask for help and that everything is an experience. I think that I had the best managers because they help me get through the hardest moments. Like for example when I moved to the children section of my job, I gad trouble locating a books and giving them to the customers but they helped me do such a great job with how to locate give the best experience to the customers. My co-workers were very helpful and we worked together as a team to get the job done. The most amazing experience for me is when the customer is satisfied with my work because I gave them the best of me and gave them what they want.
Pros
Teamwork lunch breaks
Cons
flexible hours, salary
Positive and hard working management team! Great co-workers! Great products, great work envExample: Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Cashier/Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORApril 19, 2016
Have stayed as long as I have because of the management team and co-workers. You never know who you will meet in our store.
Great work environment.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Not enough full time positions.
Great environment. Little oppertunity
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAApril 6, 2016
This is a great place to work as a part time employee. If you want to advance, this is not the place for you. The head cashiers all move on due to pressure on them from mgmt and from the fact that the company does not allow them to progress their career further.
Pros
BOOKS!!! DISCOUNTS ON BOOKS!!!!
Cons
Mgmt does not communicate. Not many hours available.
Bogged down and sluggish
Bookseller and Barista (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 21, 2016
It's a good place to get stuck in a bubble. I'm sure that the environment at another location could have lead me to a better experience, however this particular Barnes and Noble was not for me.
Pros
It's a building filled with reading materials, educational tools, and entertainment
Cons
Managenent is very clickish and biased.
Good start
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 21, 2016
Shelving books and inventory on a daily. Meet new people help them find the book they seek. Always in touch with management since they're hands on. Co-workers are a good bunch not starting any trouble and work together. Hardest part was sometimes being on foot most of the day but enjoyed most of the work.
Pros
Wonderful area
Cons
it was a temp-position
Great place to work as gar as retailers go
Community Relations Manager/Children's Lead (Former Employee) –  Township of Howell, NJJuly 25, 2016
Growing a book culture and encouraging reading is one of my favorite things to do at this specialty retailer. Worked with an awesome team of individuals who all furthered the companies goals while providing excellent customer service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.