Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,618 reviews matching the search
Nice culture, bad district manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 7, 2017
The culture just naturally takes care of itself. Books are fun to work with and rewarding. Getting promoted was difficult and the district manager was very unprofessional.
bookseller
Book seller (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 6, 2017
Great company to work for. Not a high turnover rate. Busy day makes the day go. Just focus on customers and book selling. Daily goals routine to reach our daily sales.
Pros
Part time hours are flexible
Cons
not many ways to move up to full time.
Hard place to get in, easy to stay in.
Receiving/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 6, 2017
The job was Receiving, simple enough. Take the boxes from the shippers, count them in, scan them and start unloading all the books. You will touch everything that B&N will sell because you handle all that in the back. The management was kind and communicative, coworkers were nice, some not. It was a huge store so it was nice to have space. The downside was that I had no position to move up to so receiving day and night got to me. Eventually the magic wears off that your now working at THE bookstore of our time. I enjoyed it though, books helped me with my life and I felt books could save the world. But in my line of duty it was saving the world, box by box, beep by beep, book by book...

Discounts were pretty cool if you were into the comic selections and cafe. Overall though, I would work for them again, just a different position this time. However, to the management that gave me the opportunity to work beside them I am always thankful.
Great environment. Selling-oriented. There is still a demand for bricks and mortar stores like Barnes & Noble.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJuly 6, 2017
Fun atmosphere, easy-going customer base. Can be a rewarding sales job. Book knowledge is a plus. Barnes & Noble continues to successfully reinvent themselves. They not only carry books, but a great selection of DVD, Bluray, vinyl records, Toys/games/puzzles. They also have a great selection for kids such as plush, activity books, Lego, and activity kits.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
It's not a set schedule
Barnes and Noble
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 6, 2017
If you love to read, then this is the place to be. Barnes and Noble has a great selection of books. Customer service is high priority. Getting the book into the customers hand is very important to the Virginia Beach Town Center Barnes and Noble Booksellers. We will go the extra mile to ensure the customer gets what they are looking for.
Productive workplace with an easy atmosphere
Seasonal Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 6, 2017
Working warehouse for the company was probably the best seasonal job I've had in years, but there was no chance for advancement and no opportunities to apply for other positions once the season closed. Management was fair. The workload was expected for the holiday time, and the work environment was pleasant.
Pros
good work environment, even work schedule, realistic goals, pleasant management
Cons
low pay, no chance for advancement
challenging
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYJuly 6, 2017
Amazing place to work for a booklover. Corporate strategy is unfocused having four CEO's in the last Five years. It can be a challenging environment when the direction is constantly shifting.
A decent part-time job
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJJuly 5, 2017
I took this as a part-time job as I worked full time for five years. I love the books but I didn't work enough hours to be considered for advancement. The more hours you put in the higher up you go. It's like any other retail job. Not a lot of flexibility for hours.
Pros
Access to all books there and borrowing allowed
Cons
Pay raises are not a lot
Productive and positive environment to work in.
Currently a Barista (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 5, 2017
Everyday begins with preparing the food for the day and assuring that everything is clean and perfect for the customers. I have gained a lot of customer service and cashiering experience with a great community of workers who love their jobs.
Pros
Discount in the store
Cons
short breaks
It wasn't great but wasn't terrible.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2017
Honestly, I worked there so long ago, that I don't really remember specifics. Nothing sticks out in my mind, beside the lackluster management. So yeah, not a terrible place to be, but not great.
Pros
Discounts?
Cons
Too long of shifts.

Want to know more about Barnes & Noble?

Ask a question
Easy going mall Job
Barista/customer service (Current Employee) –  Sioux city, IAJuly 5, 2017
Working in the mall and talking to people all day while you fill food orders. If you enjoy talking to people and working behind a counter this is the job for you.
Ok
Bookseller/Nook Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley, ORJuly 4, 2017
It's not a bad company to work for, especially if you're seeking entry level work. There are quite a few young people who work there in management and you will not get a set schedule.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 4, 2017
Very low stress, easy-going atmosphere. Pay is a little low for workload. People are nice, Benefits are good. Unfortunately, brick and mortar stores are a constant struggle.
Pros
no stress
Cons
low pay
Fun Working with books
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJuly 4, 2017
I learned a lot from working here including customer service skills. I also learned great organizational skills from stocking shelves as well as bringing customers to the books. The hardest part was learning the layout of the store, but I was able to learn it rather quick
Challenging work environment with something different to do every day.
Children's Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJuly 3, 2017
What I loved most about the job was that no two days looked alike, and that I got to dialogue with all kinds of people about my passion: books. Every shift had a different assignment and slightly different schedule, so all week I would be performing a variety of tasks from shelving to store displays to customer service.

The challenging part of the job was having to work most weekends and holidays, and not being allowed to request Thanksgiving or Christmas off due to the nature of retail. I was also allowed only two weeks vacation/personal time for the whole year, time which does not roll over, and sometimes this did not seem like enough.

How busy you are as an employee on the sales floor also depends on how much traffic your store gets. In my location the staff was stretched pretty thin in the evenings, so we always had more to do than we had time for. It drove a person like me, who needs to complete what I start and give time to detail, nuts occasionally. In other locations I heard they had so much traffic (and successive profits) they could afford to keep plenty of employees on staff, two people for every position in fact, and managers from my store who helped out at this location actually felt bored through most of their shift. It is just the nature of the beast, and balance can be hard if not impossible to establish.

Definitely a sales environment. Membership sales are a must. The more memberships you sell, the more you shine.
Fun place to work
Convenience Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 3, 2017
Barnes and Noble College allowed me to have a flexible schedule during school semesters. Provided me with wage increases and opportunities to move up in the store.
not horrible but no room for growth what so ever
Cafe Barista (Current Employee) –  Nlr, ARJuly 2, 2017
no one is on the same page management wise everyone tells you to ignore what the other managers say and do what they say the turn over rate is ridiculous and there is absolutely no room to move up or progress in the company
Barnes and Noble review
Customer service associate (Former Employee) –  El Cerrito, CAJuly 2, 2017
The primary focus of Barnes and Noble as a retailer is to sell very overpriced memberships. You are expected as an employee in any capacity to sell more memberships than is reasonable. The membership is $25 for a year, and you get a 10% discount on future purchases with that membership. That means you would have to spend $250 dollars on books in a year to break even on the purchase of that membership. It's absurd.
Pros
Cons
Stressful, quick paced, lofty sales goals
Easy going customers, employees knowledgable
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 1, 2017
Your peers at Barnes and Noble enjoy their work and the custoners are usually pleasant. Tasks are not always given with strict instruction, if you need strict instruction ask for it.
Overall good
Volunteered to assist at Large Scale Events (Former Employee) –  Kendall, FLJuly 1, 2017
It was fun because I knew people who I volunteered with and they were always nice to me. I would work with children of all ages and it was a job that you would be happy going to.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval