Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,356 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work and very professional evironment.
Part-Time Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOMarch 30, 2017
I loved working here! The managers were nice yet professional, and I enjoyed the work environment. I would definitely work here again if I got the chance to.
Pros
Friendly employees and professional environment.
Cons
None.
Retail with many opportunities
Lead Bargain Bookseller (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2017
This was a retail job but it had more than just the standard cashier, help desk and answer phones that usually encompass a retailer. There was room for advancement, support from management and the company liked to hire from within.
Fun place to work
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 30, 2017
A typical day is making coffee, cappuccino and cookies as well as interacting with our customers. Of course keeping the cafe' stocked and clean per guidelines
Productive and Friendly Environment
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXMarch 30, 2017
Working here was fun and I made a lot of friends. They tend to be under staffed, however, and only offer full time to leads and managers. If you are only seeking part time work, I would strongly suggest this company.
Pros
Half off cafe food, ability to check out books
Cons
No benefits, difficult to get promoted
If you work retail, B&N is as good as it gets!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COMarch 29, 2017
Perfect job for book lovers, although it is NOT a job where you can stand around reading when it's slow. A typical day involves helping customers, merchandising, shelving books, and completing various projects set by the company. The culture is generally a very friendly one, with the majority of employees loving the environment, which means turnover is fairly low.
The most difficult part of the job for me was the schedule. Shifts start as early as 7:00 am and end as late as 11:00 pm, and there is no set schedule. You will also work holidays; working in retail means you are not allowed to take (extended) time off from the week of Thanksgiving to the beginning of the new year.
The best part of the job was the environment. I have worked at many different stores and the people are great. It's a bunch of people who are quirky booklovers, and they genuinely enjoy helping customers find the right title. The discount was also great!
Pros
Excellent benefits & discounts, best retail customers
Cons
Schedule can be rough
work with a good team of people
Point os Sale Business systems QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJMarch 29, 2017
work on an upcoming point of sale release or fix. handle production issues. The hardest part of my job is knowing that there is zero flexibility for a single parent and being told by your boss that the hours are 9-5 and its a company policy but other departments including the one you work the closest with everyday allows their employees to be flexible with their hours and work from home when necessary.
Pros
Good group of teamates
Cons
Need to be more understanding of family/work life balance for single parents.
Barnes & Noble
Digital Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILMarch 28, 2017
I actually enjoyed working at Barnes & Noble. It was tough at times, but that is how it can be in retail. I am even still friends with a lot of the people I used to work with there, both from general staff and from management.
Fun work place
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAMarch 28, 2017
Everyone is always nice whether it is coworkers, management or the customers themselves. Always a great atmosphere and room to grow within the company.
Pros
Discounts on books!
Temporary Bookseller = Temporary
Temporary Bookseller (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INMarch 28, 2017
Working as a Barnes and Noble "College" temporary bookseller was simple. You sell books for full time hours as a part time employee and get paid minimum wage and usually are on your own.
It was a good place to work
General Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 27, 2017
The employees were very friendly and willing to help others. Provided different areas of experience. It was a nice place to work, better if you know english and spanish.
Enjoyable
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 27, 2017
My love of reading made this an easy place to work. The interaction with customers was an added plus. Management and the staff was a good mix of people at the store that I worked . The hardest part if the job was the cleanup at night . Best part of the job was getting advanced copies of books, the management style as well as a great employee discount.
Pros
discount
Cons
short lunches
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 27, 2017
Fun place to work, excellent co-workers, excellent benefits, customers are fun, and it's family friendly. Easy going day to day work that goes quickly but you feel accomplished at the end of the day.
Very friendly colleagues, very professional atmosphere.
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2017
Working there gave me a chance to experience having a job and make my own money. I also acquired new skills in software field and an understanding of how it can be worked better.
Great, fun work experience
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 24, 2017
I was able to have so much fun at work. The management was fantastic and created a great work environment. It was truly like working with close friends and regular customers that loved coming back.
As a last resort kind of thing
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 24, 2017
The company is not making enough money to sustain employee hours which means shorter staff which means being backed up usually. Not something you would take on if you need to pay bills.More for people who live at home with 0 responsibilities
Fun place to work
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 23, 2017
Great place to work if you are looking to work part time and want to get paid weekly. I worked there as a cashier and the job is pretty simple. My co workers were nice.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
no benefits unless you are full time
Productive and energetic environment with like minded people
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 22, 2017
I worked at two very different locations and I was cross trained in all departments. I learned how to be a valuable part of the team, quick thinking, and respectful to customers when it is most difficult. This was a fantastic place to work because everyone was very like minded and friendly. I try and bring my enthusiasm for such a cohesive work environment to my future workplace. The hardest part was may wages, but being young with no job history it is understandable. The best part was the discounts and the people I met while working there/.
Pros
Friendships and great discount
Cons
Low wages
Excellent work atomosphere
Sales Associate/ Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, OR 97006March 22, 2017
Loved working with the staff. Staff made me feel welcome. Customers were pleasant and patient. Maintained clean environment. Only thing that was irritating was that you had to try to sell the barnes and noble membership card to every customer.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
benefits didn't start until a year working there
It was a great place to work as a student.
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 22, 2017
My schedule was flexible and the people there were fun to work with. I learned a lot about Red Rocks while working at the book store! The manager was great and worked around any class.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Slow time were boring, not many hours offered
Great place, awesome coworkers
Cafe Server (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMarch 21, 2017
Working here as a Cafe Server was my favorite job hands down. I loved being a barista, and everyone's attitude just fit perfectly. Communication is key in this position. The cafe manager goes way above and beyond than she ever needs to, but that's what makes her amazing. It's an easy, fast paced job. The only reason management has 4 stars is because of the actual store management. Not very respectful of the cafe, and more interested in the book floor.
Pros
Half off cafe food, enjoyable coworkers, positive environment, fun
Cons
store management, lack of respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval