Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 2,607 reviews matching the search
Good
Cafe Server and Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJune 18, 2017
The environment of Barnes and Noble makes it a great place to not only work, but also spend leisure time. The people who work for the store are knowledgable and do not have a "push sales" mentality, because of the nature of education being a vital part to the customers lives. A lot less stressful to work for a retail store that genuinely appreciates the products it sells
Pros
Calm
Cons
Customers
Nice work enviornment, but the upper management was completely unorganized.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJune 18, 2017
I really enjoyed working in the cafe with my coworkers, but the compensation I received, the lack of benefits, and the overall disorganization of the store was too difficult to keep up with.
great company
Barista/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 18, 2017
-my first job was in the barnes and noble cafe, i loved the environment and the management. one of the best management crews i have had to date. Barnes and Noble firewheel in garland is where i worked. great job but after christmas hours get cut crazy
Pros
people
Cons
hours
Fun, my first job
Bookseller, Head Cashier, Entertainment Lead (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJune 17, 2017
Barnes and Noble was my first ever job. I loved it there and the majority of the people. I liked being able to see the new titles coming out and the discounts we're awesome.
Enjoyable Workplace with a Great Team
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 17, 2017
I've loved working here and have made some great friends during my time. The atmosphere is much more relaxed than some places and the employee benefits are great. You get 50 percent off cafe items, 30 percent off bookstore items, and 40 percent off on employee appreciation days. I've definitely improved my communication skills while working here. The hardest part is probably pushing to sell memberships, because that's what keeps your job.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Low Hours, Sales
Great place to work with good people
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 16, 2017
The staff in the stores holds more degrees than most professional office positions that I have held. They are knowledgable and each has their own areas of expertise. They are always willing to help new staff.

The job is challenging because many customers only have partial information on the book(s) they want. Often you need to conduct research in order to determine the correct book.

There is a lot of lifting and moving of merchandise, some days more than others. The job often requires kneeling, reaching, and pushing heavy carts of books and merchandise.
Pros
Great staff and management.
Cons
Grumpy customers, 30 minute lunches.
productive and fun place to work
Food Preparation Associate (Current Employee) –  Union, NJJune 16, 2017
a typical day at work would be making coffee orders for customers and students. the job is not stressful and you have fun doing coffee and food orders.
Excellent Job for College Students
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJune 16, 2017
This company really emphasizes taking care of its employees and managers value ensuring their employees have a good work-life balance. However, because the company takes such good care of their employees, there is limited upward mobility without a degree.

This is a job in customer service, so all employees at a store level do have to have good people skills and be able to work as a team. That said, my managers tell everyone at every meeting that if they are ever dealing with a customer who is being rude or belligerent to just call a manager because they would rather handle it than have one bad customer ruin our day.
Pros
Excellent company culture, great starting pay
Cons
Limited upward mobility
when I worked there
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 16, 2017
It was pretty cool to work there on campus. I only worked there for a short time due to it being a seasonal job. Overall though it was a good job for a college student.
Pros
wear no uniforms
Cons
over staffed
Books!
Bookseller/Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJune 15, 2017
Great co-workers. People are fun and knowledgable, it feels like family. Love working with books. Seeing all the new books every day is one of the great perks.
Pros
Great co-workers & working with books
Cons
Pay
Liked my boss, work environment was challenging
Content Writer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJune 14, 2017
Lots of responsibilities in author management and events, special promotional events and partnered events like those conducted with Disney. Workplace culture is challenging with some personalities.
Pros
Employee discount on meals
Cons
Advancement
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 13, 2017
This was a very productive job. You learn a lot i everything you do. On a typical day, you interact the most with students. The store is usually crowded.
Fun job, pay was not acceptable
Customer Service/Order Processing (Former Employee) –  onlineJune 13, 2017
Barnes and Noble online was a fun place to work, but the pay was horrible out of season. They did not account for having the expense of all the security measures and the little amount of pay we were receiving. Management were not consistent, so reviews were not based on all the same guidelines. One manager would give great reviews and the next week another manager would give poor reviews.
Pros
Fun to work with customers
Cons
Management reviews were based solely on management style which meant alot of inconsistencys.
Barnes and Noble was a great company for which to work.
Bookseller, Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15205June 13, 2017
Barnes and Noble was a pleasant place to work. The management encouraged me to take on more and move up into different positions with additional responsibilities.
Barnes and Noble Cafe is a poor place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  baltimoreJune 13, 2017
Job is easy. Co-workers are laid-back. Management is really poor. There is no opportunity for advancement. It can be a good place to work if certain managers were not present.
Family-like Staff
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 12, 2017
Typically a day at work consisted of walking the floor recommending books and pushing ones we were required to push to customers. Management was helpful, and the culture of the workplace was very relaxed and laid back. The hardest part of the job were the customers, of course, but also the most enjoyable part.
Great Place To Be
Lead Music Seller (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 12, 2017
B&N is a wonderful place to work. There is very transparent communication at all levels of the organization. It is hard to move up because of scarcity of jobs. Most people in management don't leave.
It was a very productive up beat work place
Barista/Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 12, 2017
Its a Great environment Great learning experience I learned Alot of great work ethics also I had a great team and a great staffing and management I can't wait to start back at the Barnes and noble in my local community so basically I gained work experience while getting work done and I wish I could of climbed the ladder while I was there great pay incentive and it felt good to great customers and I never new coffee could be so Good. So I appreciate the opportunity that Barnes and noble gave to me
Amazing atmosphere
Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 12, 2017
This is the best company I've ever worked for. The management team works hard to ensure everyone has a positive work experience, and the atmosphere is incredible. It's a pleasure to come in to work everyday knowing I'm appreciated and valued.
Great Work Culture, Meh Hours.
Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 11, 2017
Great place to work for as a college student, and the workplace was fun. Always some thing new and fun to work on and think about. Your coworkers are also vey agreeable and well-adjusted. It all comes down to clientele.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval