Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,955 reviews matching the search
Very laid back atmosphere where I felt like I wasn't even in sales!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 26, 2016
Barnes and Noble was a wonderful place for a guy like me. Where else could I show up and talk about books all day long? After I left Barnes and Noble, I went on to get a degree in English, again, talking about and reading books like it was my job. A typical day at work would flow with the seasons; ie, Christmas was very busy, but in the summertime, things slowed down. I learned a lot about people managing and sales. My co workers were excellent; all different types, all sharing a love of books, storytelling, and helping people find something to expand their worldviews by even just a little bit or a lot. The hardest part was the hours, I just couldn't find time in my schedule to work more. The most enjoyable part of the job was the every day interactions with customers and helping them find what they were looking for; something for them, a gift, something for school, etc. Our job was 'sales' but for us, it was more about making a connection with the people who would come in, looking for something that piqued their curiosity.
Pros
Customer interaction
Cons
Short hours
Great job for people who love being surrounded by books
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 18, 2015
Great job for people who love being surrounded by books. Rotating shifts enable employees to get a chance to work alongside everybody else. Management is generally supportive. The only downside is minimal to almost nonexistent chances of career advancement and lack of job security.
Pros
Generous discount on books
Cons
Job security and career advancement is almost nonexistent
Good as it can get I suppose
Lead Bookseller/Bookseller/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Arden Fair, Sacramento CaliforniaMay 8, 2015
A great job for book nerds (like me) but not a job where you can set roots and grow. I have been waiting a long time for a chance to advance, but favoritism plays a huge role in such matters. Management picks up "teacher's pets" and parade them in bookseller's faces. Nook devices and technology has changed the face of book buying worldwide, so knowing how Nook devices work might be the only real way to survive in this industry in the upcoming future.
Pros
Get to work with and chat about books, friendly and clean environment, management works with scheduling.
Cons
Very slim chance for advancement, start of at minimum wage, salary cap after reaching X amount is non-negotiable.
Fun and easy
Sales Associate/Barista (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAApril 25, 2016
The job was easy. Finding books for customers was hard and sometimes impossible at times. Our regulars were fun to talk to and definitely made the job easier. Some even helped other customers if we got too busy. The management was by far the best ive ever worked with. The other co-workers were nice and laid back. I guess one of the downfalls for me was trying not to spend money every time i went in to work. There was always some book or trinket that i found that at the time i felt like i needed.
Pros
fun and laid back
Cons
slow business, not a lot of hours
Good work environment
Café Barista/Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 16, 2015
A typical work day involved a large amount of customer interaction. Each customer had their own stories to tell and made the work day much more enjoyable. Management was easy to work with but was very focused on the numbers. It would sometimes cause tension between the departments and the coworkers. The culture of the café and bookstore brought in a lot of different people as employees. The coworkers enjoyed their work which also made the work day enjoyable. While working here, I learned a lot about how to interact with a diversity of people as well as widening my own culture through the product we sold. Training new employees gave me expertise on organization and adapting to new programs.
Pros
Discounts, availabilty to the product
Cons
Focus on upselling instead of the customers
Productive, pleasant
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMarch 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at Barnes and Noble. The management and my coworkers were both friendly and professional. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with fellow students to assist customers with their purchases.
Productive Work Place
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJuly 26, 2016
I've been working at Barnes and Noble for a year now and I love it. Some days can be stressful but at the end of the day knowing that you fulfilled a customers desire of a particular book is a great feeling. I love all my managers even some that are no longer with the location. The hardest part of my job would have to be the the phone calls and trying to take care of a customer thats in the store at the same time.
Pros
Employee Discount, My Co-workers & Managers, and the pay.
Cons
Rude Customers
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJanuary 13, 2016
Loved the Environment, Management was Great, having books everywhere was always a pleasure. Helping new and old customers find new books to read, Making recommendations to the avid reader as well as the new reader.
Pros
books everyday, friendly place, great management, great coworkers
Cons
short shifts, holiday hours, standard grumpy customers
Standard corporate business
Cafe Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 12, 2016
Typical day at Barnes and Noble was either working the cash register for the whole shift, or being behind the scenes making drinks and food for awaiting customers.

Hardest part of the job was staying motivated when working the cash register. Most co-workers dreaded a full shift on the register, as there was not much to do to keep us busy during slow times.

Most enjoyable part was making coffee for the customers, interacting with them on a daily basis made getting regulars who came in very easy.
Cons
No advancement opportunity
Fun depending on the time of year
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  AlabamaNovember 12, 2015
Working around schedule is pretty good, convenient location.

Can be a rough environment at the beginning and the end of each semester because of the high volume of customers and daily activities involved.

Management is really young and it shows some days more than others. The age of employees can really show- even though everyone is 18+, there's still clique mentality because everyone on staff is female. Most employees get hired because management either knows them or there's a mutual friend in common.
Pros
Convenient location, store hours are nice
Cons
Healthcare available- but the group used sucks
Welcoming place that lack professionalism
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 27, 2016
while working on such a friendly, safe college campus offers the opportunity for building bonds and a fun work environment. However the level of professionalism among management leaves a lot to be desired.
Pros
welcoming campus, friendly customers, mostly laid back
Cons
unprofessional management, unstable hours
B&N can be great
Bookseller/cashier/Music Seller (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COApril 30, 2016
B&N can be a great place to work, if you are willing to be flexiable with how little hours you get. Unless you want to go into management, there are NO full time positions. Leadership within management is varying, depending on store location. Discounts are decent. Head Cashiers at my location come and go within weeks or months. Too much pressure to sell memberships and now BN Master Card. Too many managers can ruin a store.
Pros
Fun people, good discounts
Cons
pushing of memberships and credit card
Really awesome place to work
Cafe Server, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLJune 2, 2016
As a book floor associate having been moved up to a cafe server, I enjoyed the time I spent at B&N. With a love for the cafe atmosphere and the fast paced environment, I never really begrudged my job until we were lack of employees, and the stronger of us were left to pick up slack. Interacting with customers proved to be both the most rewarding and most difficult aspect of the job.
Pros
Store discount, Fun atmosphere
Cons
Management turnover
productive work place
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKSeptember 15, 2015
I have to say that working here helped me be super fast and efficient. This was also the first job where i had to deal with unhappy and rude customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my co-workers and i became super close with them.
Pros
discounts on coffees and food/ if worked long enough insurance benefits as well.
Cons
minimum wage, not organized and management seemed not as involved
Productive fun and caring
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 6, 2015
As a volunteer, I would come in and get my badge. Check in with my supervisor and get to work. All clerical office work. Sometimes I would distribute supplies and help with out going mail. Management was great always very helpful and caring. I also would give instructions on how to finish the test. After that I would grade them. I enjoyed my co-workers. There was always new people coming and going. The hardest part was when I first started, I was nervous but I eventually gotten used to the atmosphere. I loved volunteering here because this is where I gained my knowledge for clerical/receptionist jobs.
A fun place to work
Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 1, 2016
Working for Barnes and Noble is a pleasure. There are projects, deadlines, decisions to make, and problems to solve, but the pressure is low. The environment simply can't be beat. Cross training and multitasking keeps things engaging and interesting, and the management is flexible regarding family, school, and second jobs. Base pay is low, but the benefits are excellent.
Pros
Discount, benefits, enviroment, flexibility
Cons
Low base pay, inconsistent schedule, hours of operation
Excellent work environment with great co-workers and outstanding management
Seasonal & Part-time (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 27, 2016
A typical day at Barnes and Noble is delightful. I enjoy my co-workers and management but mostly enjoy helping customers find what they need. I really cannot think of anything negative about this job except that the pay is only minimum wage; that is the only "hard" part." Other than that, I love working there!
Pros
Great discounts! Great environment! Great customers!
Cons
No benefits for part-time
Fun and Never Boring
Community Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Montclair, CAFebruary 23, 2016
Barnes & Noble is great for the book-lover/geek in us all. We embraced that culture. It is difficult to find a job where you have so much in common with your co-workers and at B&N, you do.
Professional work environment with great management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 11, 2015
Professional work environment with great management. No major complaints other than slow at times and not much co-worker interaction while on the clock.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, flexible schedule, professional.
Cons
Healthcare, job advancement, slow.
An okay job for a student
Barista (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 26, 2015
I worked at this cafe on our college campus while going to school full time. I learned a lot, but there is little room for advancement with the company. There is also no possibility for increase in compensation, which makes it difficult to want to stay longer than a year and half. I enjoyed my colleagues and direct supervisor, though the rest of the management left much to be desired often times. It was a valuable job for the place I was at in life.
Pros
Good co-workers, flexible schedule
Cons
Minimum wage with no room for advancement, poor management