Barnes Group Employee Reviews

Great work environment, too bad it was purchased by MSC Industrial
Manager, Regional Distribution Center (Former Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILDecember 29, 2016
Barnes Distribution was a great workplace! The senior management team was very helpful, responsive and supportive in all endeavors. The benefits were great, the administrative and HR support was awesome. An overall outstanding place to work!
Pros
Great work environment
Sales
Business Developer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2016
• Hired, managed and had oversight of a team of employees.
• Trained three employees who were later promoted to store managers.
• Purchased special inventory to maintain stock levels for my customer base.
• Maintained inventory levels through min/max and forecast.
• Created, maintained, and executed on annual profit and loss figures.
• Doubled sales from 40k to 80k within three months.
• Set a new district sales record in February 2001, and January 2002.
• Set a new record for active accounts and new accounts.
• Key Accounts: Becton Dickinson, U.S. Filter, AAI, Ambec, Aether Systems, McCormick Spice
Old Company, Old Structure
Customer Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 8, 2016
Typical day consisted of re-stocking customer bins with class C maintenance products, ordering new products where necessary and selling maintenance and industrial products to clients.

Immediate supervisor was solid, but the further up the management, the more spotty the communication and direction. Co-workers were easy to work with.

Hardest part of the job was moving heavy boxes of nuts, bolts, etc. in the blazing Alabama summer heat.

Most enjoyable part of the job was when the day ended.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Pay
Great Management to work for and excellent products to sell.
New Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, MISeptember 4, 2013
I very much liked working for Barnes Distribution. I had great management to work for and they provided a good work / life balance. They also provided good compensation and benefits program. A typical day at work was cold calling, setting up sales appointments, holding sales meetings, and closing new business. The hardest part of the job was selling a product three or four times more than the other competing products. I enjoyed the people I called on and the people I worked with.
Pros
Working from a home office, calling on customers and using my bachelors degree and my like of meeting new people every day.
Cons
Trying to sell a product that was way mroe expensive than the competitors.
WAS a great place to work!
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  IowaJune 3, 2012
When I started with Barnes it was a great place to work. Great boss freedom to make my own schedule. But management is reactive not pro active and are contantly making changes. Frequent price increases making it difficult to keep customers. Management is always taking away more benefits from the sales force. Changing salary to a lower base, taking away expenses, such as no more car allowance..it is just a flat reimbursement which doesn't cover half of your expenses with the job. Weekly Friday morning meetings, which were a joke...you were never allowed to say anything.
Pros
good products
Cons
everything
No regrets about changing jobs!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 2, 2012
I've been impressed with many aspects of Barnes Distribution. Barnes takes care of its employees by offering a complete benefits package that even includes tuition reimbursement. I find the Senior Management Team to be ready and willing to help or share ideas. On a monthly basis, the President of the company takes time to present to, and field questions from, the entire company. Barnes is very generous with perks such as food during meetings, free flu shots, parking reimbursement and schedule flexibilty if needed on occasion.
Pros
parking reimbursement, good salary, accessable management team
Great Environment
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland,OHMay 1, 2012
Good People. Job Security. Ability to move around departments
Pros
free food, great culture, great benifits
Cons
only located in cleveland
Learned Alot
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2016
This company here taught me alot about leadership, and time management. My co-workers was very good to work with, we came to together as one.
Great opening position, with limited growth in a timely fashion
Territory Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 5, 2014
Wonderful company, but with the current merger with MSC everyone is left on outside wondering what is going on. The pay is SO SO but great for someone who does not need to make more that 50K a year. They do not pay for gas and require you to drive all over your territory M-F taking care of active accounts, and opening new ones. They try and supplement your millage with a small car allowance. This would be a great company to work for if they would get there pay inline with other territory account manager positions.
Pros
work from home make your own sched.
Cons
no gas card required to use personal vehicle and maintain wear and tear with minimal compensation.
enjoyable and good enviroment with having lunch together provided from company
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 13, 2014
safety work is the priority and the accuracy delivery to customer.
we learnt a lot how to handle the issues in shipping and also the products,
the management is good, they are organized to handle every issued happened every day.
we work as team that cooperated together, communicate between departments involved.
the hardest part of the job if there is no communication and work individually not as a team.
we are happy if every tasks that we do are going well.
Pros
free lunch (good), giving the opportunities to get better knowledge for the works
Cons
benefit either vacation, healhtcare or pension fund
great place to work
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 16, 2015
Very good place to work, the employees/ management do everything they can to make you profitable.

Hardest part of the job is to motivate yourself to get up and work. You get out of the job what you put in to it.
Over all BD has been a good company to work for.
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 23, 2013
They promote from within and provide good benefits. Work-life balance is good.
Geart, great place to work for
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 5, 2015
Was there as Temp employee, but they made you fell so welcome and happy to see you daily. Management was fun to work for and be around. Made great long lasting friendships! No complaints at all!!
Pros
Staff, Team members, location ALL GREAT
Cons
NONE AT ALL
unreachable expectations
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 14, 2012
Good for ground level sales....career in sales somewhere else.
Pros
freedom
Cons
low salary
Mining is the primary industry in NV. I took the job with Barnes Distribution after marrage relocating to Battle Mountain NV.
Area Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Battle Mountain, NVJanuary 23, 2014
Since moving to Battle Mountain NV. there were no opportunities to teach in such a RURAL location. Mining is the most prevalent industry, so I became involved and enjoyed my work
I would arrive at the mine and pick up my order placed the previous visit. I would go to the various shops, both underground and surface to put away the order and reorder for the next visit. Visiting with the shop foremen or manager was an enjoyable component. I know little of mining or the needs to run mining operations, but becoming knowledgeable and able to answer questions of those working there was a pleasure.
I was given near autonomy of my area as it was the farthest from headquarters. It was an opportunity to grow and learn. I became the problem solver for my area. Since I was on my own, contact with co-workers was limited, but always enjoyable.
The hardest part of my job was learning which parts were required for what job. The most enjoyable, being comrades and friends with those whom I worked
Pros
I set my agenda and incorperated my strengths to succeed.
Cons
Healthcare, Communications with management inhibiting my productivity
Great job experience.
n Served as a sales representative (Former Employee) –  Las VEgas, NV 89107April 15, 2012
Barnes distribution was good for me, I worked from home and had great account. Management could have been a little more supportive. My co-workers were great, they still keep in touch. The hardest part of my job was selling overpriced supplies in a bad ecomomy. I love being able to work from home and make my own hours.
Pros
worked from home, made my own hours.
Cons
no support when economy too a dive.
Enjoyed managing subordinates
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 20, 2015
Excellent place to work, I'm just ready to stop traveling and be home every night. They have great benefits and a great working environment.
Manager, Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Cleveland OHNovember 4, 2014
Highly qualified people
Fast paced
Growing revenues
Pros
Solid company with opportunity for advancement
Cons
na
Bad experience
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 5, 2015
Could not trust anyone to do their part. Management never had your back. Hard to work within those conditions. The dynamics of the relationship between sales and ops were very flawed.
Pros
A few partners that worked hard with me.
Cons
Really did not like much of anything about that job.
Great place to work but being bought out
Payroll Supervisor/Accounting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 19, 2014
Company has been bought out and will move headquarters to Charlotte in April 2014.
Pros
Great management team
Cons
A little antiquated accounting system.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes Group. Our community is ready to answer.