Barneys New York

Barneys New York Employee Reviews

good people a lot of paperwork
Department Manager Ladies Shoes (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 1, 2015
Reviewing daily flash, supporting sales staff throughout the store. The store is 90,000 sq. feet. Since I was the most tenured manager new managers relied on me for information; spreadsheets, payroll, time and attendance. The most enjoyable part of my day was walking into the beautiful store.
Great Luxury Retailer to learn & work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, great product knowledge, network of designers
Cons: N/a
Start the day by opening the registers, putting all go backs (scattered or product not in its proper place) in its designated area, wipe down mirrors/doors/counter and sweep floors. Bring out new product or replenish the store. Call or email clients to inform them about new products, sales, promotions, etc. Clientele is the most tedious part of any salesman or saleswoman job but it definitely helps any form of business by allowing all of your customers to know what the company's upcoming plans are.
Management Change
Assistant Finance Manager (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJune 8, 2015
Pros: Learning what happens when a cultural change happens in a company
Cons: Retail experience and not able to find a way to fit in.
My original job was creating finance reports for the management to evaluate the performance of managers. I was also expected to step in when other operating managers are off duty. I would help out with customer service or the money room. I started with a group that focus on making the best work environment by making everyone responsible for taking up responsibilities to make the team perform well. But when the management change, their focus seems to hire who have good reputation without checking their accountability or performance. I try to pull my weight with the original management team, but the new management team were more impress with impact or spotlight someone put on themselves. Those that self congratulate themselves and make the most noise were the most appreciated. As a quiet personality, I couldn't fit in. I learned you need to do be able to convince other of what you do. When a management team change, you have to identify and mark out your work responsibility.
Stuck-up
Sales Support (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 8, 2015
A lot of individuals that work in Barneys think they are better than other cause of their position in such a highly regarded retail company. Retail is retail to me. Price tags doesn't make anyone better
Productive and great environment to work in
Support Associate (Former Employee), 660 Madison AvenueMay 28, 2015
Pros: One hour Lunch Break, Designers giving out free Clothing and holiday events
Cons: no part time for stock
I started off as a temp and i was hired full time months later i was treated like family hard work but it become easy once you get the hang of it.
Loved working with the product, did not love the company culture, work hours, unrealistic expectations
Associate Buyer (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 1, 2015
There is a stigma at Barneys that they are the cool kids in town. Indeed they may be, but due to this air it creates a not so inviting work environment. Furthermore, a lot of the expectations from management are not realistic. There is often times the employees work so hard without with late hours and travel, without getting any positive support or reassurance. I loved the product and the actual buying portion of the job, but other than that there is a lot that would make an employee unhappy
Fun place to work at
Tie Specialist/ Expeditor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 21, 2015
I loved it! people of all cultures attend, you get to see many celebrities and wealthy powerful people of this world, I would recommend it to anyone interested
Fun and Creative Workplace
Selling Supervisor (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 20, 2015
No day was ever typical at Barney's New York. From the merchandise to the clients, each day held new challenges and opportunities. By creating valuable relationships with internal and external customers, I was able to see success in sales and leadership simultaneously.
The work environment is a little hectic. The pay is okay if you're starting as a stock associate. I recommend this job.
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 28, 2015
I learned the importance of a well organized sales and stock room working with so many vendors. The management aren't really hands on but still do their best for you if possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is finding good co-workers all over the store.
fun and exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: 40 percent discounts twice a year and a 30 percent year round
Cons: long hours
Barneys was an exciting fun upbeat place to work. it attracted customers from all over the world and from all walks of life. Because of its location in Beverly Hills, i got to meet and help many celebrities. i worked with a great group of sales associates and managers that were passionate about their job and dedicated to great customer service. it was a special place to work and offered many perks, a strong commission and hourly rate, and flexible hours.
experienced associate
Seasonal Shipping & Receiving Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: experienced hard worker
Cons: stability
Inventory Retail Skills WMS—Warehouse management system WCS—Warehouse control system Warehouse Control System—software used to control automated systems such as sortation systems Vendor-managed inventory (VMI)—phrase used to describe the process of a supplier managing the inventory levels SSCC—Serial Shipping Container Code Reorder point—The inventory level set to trigger reorder of a specific item Purchase order—a document used to approve, track, and process purchased items
Computer Skills: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7

Xerox 5995, p120, 4110,
Xerox 5995, p120, 4110
My experience as a GM at Barneys New York
General Store Manager (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXDecember 15, 2014
My typical work day included overseeing all store functions both on and off the floor, and maintaining all payroll services as well as being the head of the HR for my particular store. I facilitated and created all store visuals and generated a lucrative client database over my years with the company.
Very fast paced and competitive, but I maintained excellent customer rapport.
Freelance makeup artist (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 12, 2014
Pros: great creative outlet for the vast color selection with the brand i was selling.
Cons: counter space was not kept tidy to my standards, i was always cleaning after others.
Approach customers, engage them, sit them down, charm them, apply their makeup, sell them products, retain them.
Steady Work
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee), Chestnut Hill, MANovember 7, 2014
Pros: steady hours
Cons: no job advancement
It was great having a set structure with clear expectations for job performance. I could show up, do the job, interact with my coworkers, and head home at the expected time. There were definite challenges to the job, like not having the correct type of shopping bags because that was controlled by corporate, but those are minor mistakes. In general upper management was available to solve corporate issues, and those were taken care of in a timely manner.
Decent Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: short breaks
Working at Barneys Bargain Basement was a very simple job. I was able to work while going to school, due to the flexible hours.
FUN WORK PLACE
Data Entry (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 7, 2014
Scanned documentation and entered into the database.
Produced monthly reports using advanced Excel spreadsheet functions.
Reviewed and updated client correspondence files and scheduling database.
Accurately processed financial and related data.
Informing team leader about unusual situations affecting productivity, accuracy and efficiency of data flow.
Fast Paced and keeps you on your toes!
Jewelry Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2014
A nice place to work. Very demanding on your patience. Co-workers are friendly for the most part and helps out when you need it. Management can get a little hectic at times but that is expected in retail. The hardest part of the job is dealing with everyday demands of multiple clients at a time. The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction of helping people that are really appreciative and making the connections that one wouldn't normally make on a regular basis. Also, getting to get a first look at all the new and upcoming merchandise that the fashion industry has to offer.
Creative and stimulating environment.
Visual Coordinator Designer Collections (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJune 2, 2014
I enjoyed waking up and going to work everyday to expand my own creativity and share innovation in a unique setting.
Horrible place to work, or just location.
Sales (Former Employee), Las Vegas NVMay 1, 2014
Pros: lunch room
Cons: everything you just read
If you are top sales, the employees will hate on you. They will try to run you out of the store. The management was never on the sales floor, never when you need them you feel like you are bothering them. The ones who have worked there the longest regarding the managers but the sellers run the show not the manager. The low pay in the upscale store did not match the workers pay criteria. I had to record an employees conversation to the management just to get a case involved, There was a lot of drama, it felt like a reality show. I dont recommend working at this store. There are a lot of other stores with higher commissions and hourly rates. Dont waste your time because at any given second you can get fired over something stupid lol
busy day
Ecommerce Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 15, 2014
make sure you interview your boss. great place to learn. extremely busy

1 2 3

About Barneys New York

As Sarah Jessica Parker once told Vanity Fair, "If you're a nice person and you work hard, you get to go shopping at Barneys. – Read more

Barneys New York Salaries