BARNEYS Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workspace with amazing employees and glamorous parties.
sale associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
Barney's was a high end, well established, retail store in which I have gained excess knowledge about fashion, customer service and what its like to be in a good working situation.

Not to mention, they provided snack machines in the break room - a one hour lunch and a 15 minute break for all full time employees. Compensation was paid for anyone who's worked overtime - escpecially during holidays.

I was pleased the find out that I was invited to one of their prestigious promotional parties, in which I've experience the New York glamour lifestyle for that moment. No, it's not just on TV - it's real.

Although I was only seasonal, I feel as if I've gained years of experience and I am ready to share it with a new location.
Pros
Health plans, Payments, Breaks for long shifts, Understanding mangers
Cons
My commute to get there, but I got use to it.
Lackluster Internship Experience
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2015
I had great hopes for interning for such a staple in the fashion industry, but was severely disappointed. Actively tried to take on other responsibilities asI was not given much to do, but did not gain much experience at all. If anything, I know that I do not want to work for a company like this.
The best of the Best
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2015
Hands down the best selection of Luxury Designer WTW brands. Clients also enjoyed buyer choices as evidenced by sales.

customer sales
customer service
visual merchandising
Pros
Brands and team
Great working environment.
Stock Manager - Women Shoes (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
The best job I've had the wonderful privilege to work in. I continue to learn everyday and continue to sharpen my skills as a manager by observing my peers. My hard work is always recognized by a great and talented management team.

Should anyone have an interest in working at high end retail then I highly recommend Barneys. Barneys is a company filled with passionate and talented individuals. It also helped me expand my knowledge on the fashion world.

My experience at Barneys helped me become the Stock Manager I am today.
Pros
Best designer collections and great employee discounts
Cons
Not enough job titles
Overall a good place to work
Buying Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2015
Learned a lot as an intern. Lot of the staff is made up of young professionals, all are generally friendly. Poor work life balance as everyone works long hours.
Pros
Good employee discounts
Cons
Poor work life balance, dated offices, no compensation for interns
It's all over the place
Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2015
The structure of the company makes it very hard to grow within the company moving from department to department. Upper management has done very little within the buying office to create a structured system as they have no previous experience in department store world. Many people who have been with the company for many years have an anxiety about their job. The company makes very knee jerk reactions to the market. They have lost the lure of what Barneys was and only focus on achieving an overall number rather than quality of product and forward design. This is a problem with many fashion labels that have now been forced to become fast turning business with big numbers rather than quality with strong business. I believe dependent upon your manager the work place is very toxic. Often times people at the bottom remove themselves rather than the company moving the upper management positions. Compensation is only competitive if they like you and you are given an opportunity and they fear loosing you. I would highly advise someone to really think about going to the company before accepting a role. I had many great experiences, but too often were they out weighed by toxicity.
Fun place with a lot of fun people
Barney's Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 2, 2015
A typical day at barneys..clock in enter stock room assignment are already layer out for u by managers ..co workers are very helpful especially if you are new
effieceny
sales associate (Former Employee) –  new york,nyApril 29, 2015
may not be organized but very good to customers, very good at teamwork. Very diverse you get to meet different people. Fast paced job during sales events
Pros
exciting co workers, diversity
Cons
multitasking
Taste. Luxury. Humour.
Giorgio Armani/Business Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2015
The best retail experience! I loved the family culture and the free spirited clientele. All of my coworkers I still love today. My retail birthplace.
Pros
best product, great management
Cons
stagnant advancement
Good corporate environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Overall a good work environment, learned a tremendous amount while working for the company.
Pros
employee discount, networking
Cons
work/life balance
Productive multitasker in a high end luxury firm
Assistant Planner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2014
I developed clear goals towards the mission of men's merchandise planning.
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2014
I would like to say that this organization would be very beneficial because it would be assisting a lot of people, the same way it helped me. This environment is good to influence yourself about many different things. I learned about this company meanwhile I was working there.
Pros
knowledge
Cons
n/a
Great Place to work
Customer Support/Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 1, 2014
It was fun working at Barneys Great people and great Managers and it was a Pleasure dealing with customers.
Pros
nice salary
busy and fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate/Wrapper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2013
A typical day at work was making sure every customer left with a smile on there face and was giving great customer service . Some of the things that iv'e learnt at my job is how to keep my customer's happy and wanting to come back. My management team was amazing and made sure we as employee's was doing what we we're trained to do. My co-workers, we worked great as being a team. I really didn't find any part of my job hard. One thing that i enjoyed at my job was seeing each of my customer smiling as they left the store.
Pros
healthcare, good customer service
Cons
no breaks, disrespect
Management and focus changed
Assistant Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2013
The store had a team that actually cared about employee moral and optimized the financial spending of the store. It was a good hard working team. But because of corporation change of focus, the stores priority changed.

It was a great team where you do what you can to make sure you and your team are able to ensure the store's events are run on time and staff would be able to handle the event.

The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job are random deadlines and unreasonable hours. But you learn to work fast and do prep work before they're assign by knowing when things are to be expected. Prioritize your workload and being prepare is the best way to handle these kind of problem. If you do the prep work ahead of time, all your work could be done in a reasonable time.
Pros
the high expectation with short timeline
Cons
bottomline over wellfare
Productive work place
Shipping /Receiving - Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2013
A typical work day would be receiving new shippment and putting them in their right area. I learned how to be more organized and time manageable.
Commissioned sales associates benefit most.
Seasonal Expeditor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2013
My typical day consisted of maintaining sales floor, assisting sales specialist with their customers and processing payment at checkout.
Pros
employee discounts, union
Great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2013
It was closing so i had to move ahead..Loved it made some good friends.
Pros
loved it.
fun but busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2012
i loved working here even though it was far away. workers and staff very friendly and approahable
Example: Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 20, 2012
A typical day at work starts at 6 a.m. I make sure my customers have plenty of coffee. I clean and stock the store. I am a easy going person and gets along with others. I know what my customers buy on a daily basis and have the merchandise ready for them. I have good customer service.
Pros
i get free coffee and pop
Cons
no breaks for lunch