Barr-Nunn Transportation Employee Reviews

Made the best money of my life...
Virginia Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Granger, IAFebruary 9, 2017
I was in the Va Regional Fleet. Really didn't enjoy running the northeast constantly. But that where the population...and freight is. We hauled for UPS and FedEx. I was on straight overnight pulls from ups terminal, to ups terminal. Was home typically by daylight Friday morning, and went back to work on Sunday evening. Pay for 4 1/2 days being gone a week? My average gross was $1,150-$1,400 and my average bring home was $900-$1,200. Rest on your time off, and take every load they give you, and you will do awesome.
Pros
Money great and every weekend at home
Cons
Running the northeast...Got to know the GW bridge pretty well. Lol
Driver (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 25, 2017
Good pay great home time great 401 k the medical could be better and a little cheaper management could care a little more about the driver terminals need big improvements for drivers
Pros
401 k, high cpm, bonuses
Cons
A lot of back and forth days to nights
Run as fast and as far away as you can!
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Granger, IADecember 31, 2016
I was a team leader so I heard it from both sides. Barr Nunn could care less about their drivers. Their planners are incompetent to say the least! They would assign loads to drivers and within 5 minutes they would be unassigned, so as a team leader you would send the loads to the drivers and confirm them and turn around and have to tell them they no longer have that load and then 15 minutes later assign it back to them. The drivers would be so confused and very upset! This company treats their drivers like they are beneath them. They will promise you everything until you're hired and then you're dirt to them. I was outraged by the names the operations manager and planners were calling the truck drivers! They treat their drivers like they are sub human! I now see why they can't keep drivers or team leaders there!
Pros
There aren't any
Cons
Everything that comes out of their mouths are lies
Not a good place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  ManNovember 14, 2016
Bad company to work for . I had an incident. Causedo by bad weather. And the officer even said that and no tickets were giving. And theyou terminate me. Bad company. Don't care about drivers
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Old trucks
not a good transportation company
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 28, 2015
I moved to this company thinking that I will be making good money because of higher rate of cpm they pay compared to other companies but I was wrong, if you have family and looking for a decent pay check this place will do you no good
Team leaders and dispatchers are quitting this place all my fellow drivers who I met in orientation they quit some after a month others first week.
Something they don't tell you about and it might surprise you the second day of orientation that the company is actually owned by knight transportation
But knight don't interfere with the management and that's true but they are trying there best to save money on every thing to keep knight happy and far from management.
The most important thing to the driver is the milage, if no milage no paycheck that's the main point.
They don't have miles and there work is by season when it's a high season which start from end of October and last until end of January they will fill the websites with bonuses and extra cents per miles which they will deduct it later if you decide to quit befor 90 days from the hiring day, rest of the year you will be spending more time in truck stops than over the road and your weekly milage will be 1600 or may be 1700 miles and from there you can do the math.
It might work for others but am not gonna be over the road for 500$ paycheck a week I rather find a local job sleep in my home every night.
There costumers are nice and most of the loads drop and hook they do swapping as well, they run only the east coast.
Truck maintenance is horrible I give zero and don't dream of
  more... getting paid a penny if you broke down neither for layover, may be they do for others but never happened to me I broke down for 4 days nothing extra entered my pay check.
They have only 540 trucks and you might think you'll be treated good because of that but they will really treat you lower than a driver job posetion.
They have communication problems they might not answer the phones at all when you really need help neither reply you messages on Qualcomm.
One last thing they lost 50% of there annual loads because of FedEx, FedEx stopped using 53ft trailers and they are requiring doubles instead, so they are really suffering now.
Don't get fooled by the adds and bonuses
It doesn't worth it you will waist your time.
Pros
high pay rate
Cons
no milage
simply put, a great place to retire from
driver (Current Employee) –  ohio regionOctober 25, 2015
I have been with Barr Nunn for 4 years now, having been on the road for 12 years and worked for several different companies I can tell you they are by far the best I have seen. my miles are excellent and consistent, my rate of pay is the highest here I have ever had, they almost always get me home every weekend(in 4 years they have missed my weekend hometime twice), the fleet managers are great and easy to work with, the safety department is always helpful and knowledgeable, and the benefits are excellent(especially the 401k that they put money into even if a driver doesn't). this is the kind of company a driver can retire from.
Pros
great pay, hometime, and benefits.
Cons
really can't think of any
Great Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mims, FLOctober 25, 2015
Great company to work for. They treat you like family, not a number! Great benefits, home time, safety incentives, and pay raises! No slip seating - you're assigned a truck and it stays with you! What a great benefit and advantage to be able to take your truck home with you! I'm a very satisfied and proud Barr-Nunn driver and highly recommend them every chance I get!
Barr-Nunn is a real good place to have a career.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Northeast Regional DriverOctober 22, 2015
B/N is an excellent place to work. 1. They treat you as a person "not" a number! 2. The pay is at or near the top in the industry. The pay raises come quickly. I've received .07 cpm in raises in the last 20 months! 3. The practical pay scale is not hub miles but is very close to actual miles ran. I keep close track of the paid miles, empty and loaded, and compare them to the actual miles I ran. Last year my actual driving miles was, on average, 1.2 miles per load more, compared to my dispatched paid miles. 4. They run you 100% legal. 5. I get good miles, good pay and get home every weekend! 6. My home time is always more than 48hrs unless I specifically ask to head out earlier.
I have enjoyed working at B/N for about 18 years.Last year I made just over 63K in 11 months of driving. I drove 109,600 paid miles. I cannot guarantee "your" paid miles, home time or bonuses. But, I didn't do anything that you couldn't do either.
Pros
No touch freight and a great majority of freight is drop/hook!
Cons
Occaisionally you don't get a preplan load so you don't know which way to head after current load.
Great company,good pay
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Midwest to Eastern statesOctober 21, 2015
If you like to drop and hook 99 percent of loads and stay loaded with very little lay overs and run legal,then this is the place for you. Barr-Nunn is a driver friendly company.I've been here since May this year I have 30 plus year experience and if I would choose I'd have no problem going to another company,but I am happy here and make a good pay check every week.I am an OTR driver and stay out 18 days and then go home,and load planners and fleet mangers do a great job getting me home,and don't call me till it's time to go out again.
If you would so choose to work for Barr-nunn and I mean come here to work for that is what we do.we don't touch freight we haul freight and do a lot of night driving which to me is great,less traffic back ups on roadways. By the way they also have regional drivers that are home weekly. And good equipment and like other companies our speed is 64 Mph and no New York City runs .So come join us if you want to work and not lay around in truck stops. Your brother in trucking. M.Harris
Pros
short haul pay/ sliding scale
Cons
as other companies slow trucks 64mph
Good place to work.professional people. Treated with respect.
Driver (Current Employee) –  New York .Boston areaOctober 21, 2015
Been working with barr nunn for 2 years .I find if you do what you been hired to do .you will not have any problems with them .they are family oriented and will make there business to get you home.I personal enjoy working here. They are by far one of the top payers in the industry. There safety bonuses are very generous in which you receive every 3 months.there safety department is very up on rules and regulations in which helps you protect yourself every day .they shoot straight about everything .no false promises here .there trucks are very well maintained and have nice equipment ...if your sick in a rest.. come join the best ...you won't regret it
Pros
Top pay .great benefits .good professional people to work with. .
I would recommend this company to others.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Granger IASeptember 29, 2015
I got plenty of work. Management worked with me to get home when needed in addition to every weekend. For the most part I knew what I was going to do from one day to the next. If I ran out of hours they worked with me. I got along just fine with my fellow drivers. The customers liked me because given sufficient time I delivered on time.
Pros
I knew pretty much what I would do during the week.
Cons
Difficult weather conditions
ok company
Over the Road Truck Driver/ Team Driver (Former Employee) –  Granger, IASeptember 10, 2015
ok company to work for good pay great miles for solo drivers as for teams miles suck and they run you like a slolo good home time
Pros
good equipment
Cons
no miles
Not a good place to work as a driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte ncMay 31, 2015
Run don't walk from this company. Went to work for them as a Florida regional driver and all the recruiting ads promised weekends off. Very untrue. They left me stranded in Charlotte mc where they have a tiny little yard with a porta potty and no access to anything else. Office staff leaves for the weekend and does not come back until Monday. When I asked dispatch what happened to every weekend off they said they didn't have anything going to Florida and wanted me to run over the weekend. Them saying every weekend off is just a ruse to get you thru the door then I guess they fiqure your going to accept it. I called my wife and she drove 550 miles to pick me up. That is how much it was worth to me to get away from this company. If you decide to sign on don't say I didn't warn you. Also they say you will run fl ga and to only. This is a lie. They want to run you in the Midwest and northeast but only pay you regional wages and not over the road wages. Just not a good company to work for gentleman. Avoid at all costs
Just a bad company
Driver (Former Employee) –  youngstown OH.January 25, 2015
I was hired here while going through chemo. They offered hometime every other week so, it fit my chemo schedule perfectly. While in orientation, they had me write a letter explaining my medical condition, as well as providing my doctors note releasing me for work (I was 39 years old at the time).
So, working here for 9 months was nothing short of a nightmare; 4 days without a load, dispatchers telling me to drive illegal, bad equipment. Anyways, at about my 9th month there and, 3 months before I was to be put on their medical insurance, I received a call from HR (from the same woman that had me write the note about having cancer), telling me that I never informed them about having cancer and I would be terminated the next time I took an extra day off due to chemo. It was then that dispatch started to refused to get me home for my chemo session which, was on normal hometime. Is was at this time I decided to leave on my own.
On the pay side, because of their long waits for a load, you can expect your pay checks to be between $400-$700 a week. This is just a bad company all around.
Pros
Cons
they are still in business.
Not much respect for drivers
otr driver (Former Employee) –  MidwestJanuary 21, 2015
Was let go because a minor accident in truckstop. Safety didn't want to hear my side of the incident.just be careful they will fire you for small things.
Pros
decent miles and pay
Cons
Just a number as a driver.
Good Company to work for.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Granger, IAAugust 22, 2014
Work as a Team Driver, OTR Monday thru Friday with good home time.
Overall a good place to work.
Regional Area Freight Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Granger, IAApril 27, 2014
Good co-workers and is a good place to work. Start salaries start off low but quarterly bonus helps make up for low salaries. Their paid time off is not competitive even for the industry. Easy to separate work and how life which is nice.
Pros
Great co-workers and bonsuses
Cons
Micro managed
Run away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Youngstown OH.March 22, 2014
Barr Nunn was one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Average weekly miles was 1200-1300 a week. Lots of sitting with little or no layover pay. When it comes to hometime, they can care less if your weeks late going home. Dispatchers try to force you to drive unsafe and illegal constantly. Trucks are total garbage and their maintenance is pathetic. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from these people.
Cons
Made very little money there.
Class A truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Granger, INJanuary 23, 2014
Not as promised. Was given the impression more more was to be made.
Pros
got home every other weekend
Cons
too little money
Great Company , highly recommend
OTR driver, dry van '53 trl (Current Employee) –  Granger, IAJanuary 9, 2014
This is the best company I have ever worked for . Hometime is great , the money is good , bonuses are there before you know it , office staff are unbelievably caring, little downtime , constant runs , company works well if having issues to deal with at home.
Pros
The staff, makes life easier
Cons
No Freightliners

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barr-Nunn Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Barr-Nunn Transportation Reviews by Location