Barrick Gold Corporation Employee Reviews

Productive and safe workplace
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Republic, MOMay 25, 2015
Typical day at work:
Morning meeting in which we have a safety topic and discuss relevant topics for the day and week.
Review integration issues with Ivara
Manage projects; meetings, requisitions, trainings, project charter, etc
Give support to users with problems they have or with improvements

What I've learned:
I've learned a lot about maintenance reliability, quality tools and project management

Co-workers:
This is the best part of my job, I have an excellent team work, they are all excellent professional that live in a continuous research to do their work better, we share our knowledge and help each other in what we can. My boss have a lot of experience in the area and handover all his knowledge to us, also he is a great coaching

Hardest part:
Keep calm while dealing with stakeholders; in our case process operations and process maintenance

Enjoyable part:
See the results of our effort, see how the KPI's shows our progress.
Pros
Transportation, lunch bonus, vacation bonus, healthcare insurance, training
Cons
short break, long working day, no equity
Great Coworkers,
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Bald Mountain MineApril 29, 2014
It was a great job in the beginning. Had many problems with management throwing there employees under the bus when things happened on site. Had a huge environmental spill at north process plant which consisted of about 15 thousand gallons of cyanide over flowing the containment berm for about 7 hrs. I reported the spill after several other people in the area noticed it for at least an hour and did nothing to stop this incident. The person in charge of reportables decided to file a 200 gallon report of the incident. I cannot work for a company who has management lie about how the company was such a great steward of the environment. This not the first time mining companies pollute the environment. It will continue as long as people choose money over doing right thing. I notified the state EPA, but nothing happened to company.
Pros
great benefits, coworkers
Cons
micromanage employees who know there job better than the supervisor, management also lied about cyanide spills to keep from losing new permits on heap leach pads
Great company to work for, exciting underground environment
Mine Geologist (Former Employee) –  Granny Smith and DarlotMarch 3, 2014
The first job was core logging/prepping. Once that's done, any structural interpretations, QAQC data, and/or reconcilliation work is done. Other jobs include underground mapping and sampling, wire framing, and block modelling. My management came from the senior geologist. Most of my co workers had less years experience than me, but are generally willing to work outside the scope of their titles. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the one or two bullies in the immediate work space. The most enjoyable part of the job is doing structural interpretations in areas that not many people have previously looked at or analysed and used these interpretations for target generation
Pros
great people to work with overall, fifo
Cons
bullies, no place to move up at that site
The details of Barrick Gold Inc
Open Pit Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Carlin, NVJuly 4, 2014
While at Barrick there was ample opportunity to learn various heavy equipment details. Management could be more involved in the culture of safety that they advertise. While at Barrick Goldstrike, I learned the details of many heavy equipment manufacturers including but not limited to Caterpillar, Komatsu, Taylor, Gehl, Bobcat, etc. The rotating shifts were a little difficult at first to get used to but after a while it came as second nature like breathing or walking. The medical benefits and 401k benefits were the best that I have ever seen. Yearly raises regardless of technician level.
Pros
good health benefits and 401k benefits
Cons
difficult to gain a technician level upgrade. multiple "hoops" to jump through to get an upgrade
Was a great company. Bad acquisitions and overseas project failures have decimated the internal culture. Currently a desperate fight to survive.
Director, Communications (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2015
I work with great people and I have gained excellent experience in my 18 years in mining/10 with Barrick.

Hardest part of my job is handling crisis situations - fatal accidents, etc. I do happen to be very good at it but not an experience I would wish on anyone.

I have enjoyed getting to know a wide variety of people and cultures. Hoping to do more of this in a new industry/career. I enjoy leading and developing talented young people.
Pros
smart, diverse coworkers
Cons
lack of upward mobility - maxed out
Productive & Fun Place to Work
BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Crescent Valley, NVFebruary 11, 2015
• Reduced occupational injury/illness incidence rate at Cortez's Open Pit Division by more than 80%.
• Revised protocol and comprehensive direction of division through internal safety audit and environmental review.
• Reduced new employee orientation training time by 45% while still covering mandated content and achieving high compliance rate.
• Initiated changes in safety performance tracking that reduced number of reports by 53%.
• Awarded recognition as "Six Sigma Green Belt & Project Management in Action" Recipient, in 2013.
Great People, work, experiances, great pay and benifits its a dream job
Mine ops operator (Current Employee) –  Bald mountain mine, NVFebruary 15, 2012
I love working for barrick gold at there bald mountain mine. other then its location far away from the nearest town, To me is the ideal work place for anyone seeking a carrer in mining. Mining is a fun fast paced way to build up your experiance in operation of heavy equipment and other skills that follow the mining prosess. It was Barrrick gold that offered me a chance to do so, and very greatfull that they did.
Pros
great people, work, experiances, great pay and benifits its a dream job
Cons
long time to get there from town
avearage, productive and educative
Mining Engineer (Current Employee) –  SolweziSeptember 4, 2014
a day starts at 06 am til 5pm with an hour break for lunch, normally busy and full of activity. ihave learned planning and scheduling under short term also vulcan software. managemant ha been changing and has never been stable from the time i got here but i enjoyb work culture with everyone i work with.working long hour when making the weekly plan and monthly plans has been the hardest part of the job, but generally the job has been enjoyable
Pros
free lunch, supper
Cons
health care, breaks provided
Dynamic workplace with great benefits
Ore Control Engineer (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVMay 25, 2013
I work directly with a group of ore control engineers, short range planners, and operation supervisors. I've learned to work with several different management styles and personalities. My coworkers are competent and as a group are very efficient. Defining stockpile space and resolving conflicts with operation supervisors and other engineers is one of the more challenging part of being an ore control engineer.
Pros
benefits, good coworkers
Cons
very long commute
great pay and benefits, but not fun work in the least bit
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVNovember 24, 2015
honestly it was a great place to work, however unless you can do shiftwork and handle 16-18 hour days (12hours work betwen 2-4hours bus ride to site) it doesnt make life any easier and makes it hard to maintain a personal relationship with yourself and your significant others.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
hours compaired to personal time, no set break schedule etc
Due to the ground structure, work was very hard.
Underground miner (Former Employee) –  Golconda, NVNovember 2, 2015
I enjoyed the camaraderie, the sweating and fulfillment of accomplishment. The company gave me a sense of unlimited potential of strength, stamina, and knowledge of a mining operations. I worked with some experienced miners that were not afraid to share their experiences with me, the junior guy.
Pros
To feel a part of a team
Cons
To know that in a few years my will deteriote.
Thinking back my time employed with them, best employer ever had chance to work for.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVSeptember 4, 2015
Great money, Benefits, Insurance, Retirement plan, 401 K package
Every shift is different and operating several types equipment and haul or water trucks. Work at ur own pace and speed.
Pros
Controlled environment, XM radio and great team work.
Cons
Do your job right and safely and go home safe to your loved ones. Only work half the month.
Very productive work place. Wanted tasks done in timely fashion as well as corectly.
Intern (Former Employee) –  ElkoFebruary 11, 2014
I performed different mining scenarios to check the most feasible way to mine. Designed a new landfill for the sight. This was the most challenging because I had to teach myself how to design in Vulcan software. This was a huge project. This was a project that would normally be done by a full time Engineer.
Pros
kept me busy
Cons
not much guidance
this is a good company to work for
Equipment Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVAugust 30, 2015
I enjoy running equipment. I have worked with many different people over the years and feel that I can get along well with everyone. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the progress I can make moving the material. This process is a team effort. The hardest part is getting others to see this as a team effort.
Pros
a week off every month
Cons
rotating shifts
Low productive
Contract Geologist (Former Employee) –  Marathon, ONMarch 4, 2013
the hardest part of the job:
1. lack of appropriate management due to inexperienced supervisor
2. admission to professional work (geologist) people without special education
3. admission to the geotechnical work people "from the street" - without the skills and understanding of the standards and work ethics
4 - admission to physically demanding work of pregnant women
Family Orianated, fun job
Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVNovember 10, 2015
Safety meetings every morning, good group of people top work with. Good amount of politics and red tape with such a large company. Excellent insurance, 401k and life insurance. Company will send anyone to get more training and has an outstanding Mine Rescue Team. Most enjoyable is that you become like family with the crews.
Pros
excellent benifits
Cons
Good Co-workers, great to be around
Mine Mobile Maintanence Electrician (Current Employee) –  Elko, NV: Bald mountain mineMarch 3, 2015
Middle and upper managment seem to struggle. lots of pointing fingers and blaming instead of solving issues like the VERY HIGH turnover rate at the bald mountian mine. Management keeps asking questions but doesnt like the answers to the problems, or flat out ignores the answers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
middle and upper management
Serious work place
Consulting Senior Geologist (Current Employee) –  Cortez Gold Mines, NevadaApril 1, 2013
Barrick Gold Corp. is the largest gold mining company in the world. It is committed to upgrading the skills of its employees. As a consequence my job includes mentoring junior geologists. There is ample funding for some basic research such as thin section work and age dating. There is a strong emphasis on safety and environmnetal compliance.
One of the two largest gold producers in the world
Continous Improvement Leader (Current Employee) –  Cortez MineJuly 14, 2015
Barrick is a great company to work for. I have advanced well while being here. I have been in mining for over 20 years and am interested in expanding my knowledge and experience in other industries. I am planning to relocate to the Salt Lake area for personal reasons.
Pros
Well established company
Cons
Commute time
It is a good company to grow and learn about the gold mining field
Supervisor Mine Operation (Current Employee) –  Pueblo Viejo, Dominican RepublicMay 7, 2015
Good benefits and safe company in a dangerous industry. The employees are great to work with and create a great team environment. The focus on safety may seem constraining at first, but "Everyone going home safe and healthy every day" is worth it
Pros
Free transportation, bonus for lunch
Cons
Healthcare