Barrick Gold Corporation Employee Reviews

Has potential to be a great company
Open Pit Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVApril 20, 2017
Very long bus rides, a much desired and better employee benefits and a very confusing future. They claim to develop their employees but most hires are from the outside.
Pros
A diverse culture
Cons
poor leadership
Be prepared, trust no one
Hourly Employee (Current Employee) –  NevadaMarch 9, 2017
Working for Barrick will be an emotional roller coaster. The high wages will justify the nonsense you will have to put up with. Meritocracy is not a term found in the Barrick version of the dictionary. Preference and promotions are largely based on the cliques you may or may not enter into. Choose wisely, because this is how you will receive a raise. There are some good people in management positions, but they are becoming more rare. If you acquire employment with Barrick, read the policies like the gospel. There are too many people running around actively seeking ways to remove others in their way to where they want to be, and upper management tacitly supports this behavior. Trust no one. Read the policies and internalize them. Go to work everyday as if you're entering battle. The HR department is not your friend, they're not there to apply the policies in good faith, but they will look you in the eye and swear they are. They will twist and bend the rules to favor management and you need to be prepared at all times to defend yourself in any situation. The best thing you can do is follow the rules religiously and keep your opinions to yourself. Things will be discussed one way publicly in group settings but applied differently in private amongst those in power. Keep in mind that those in power are not immune from being exposed, but you have to be perfect and follow the rules. Again, I cannot stress enough, know every policy inside and out. Act in good faith and carry out your duties properly and you'll be fine. Trust no one.
There is a One Barrick policy in the works that is
  more... essentially consolidating all of the Nevada properties. There is concern that wages are being stifled, in the form of raising the hourly rate but drastically cutting the bonus incentive, despite record production and profits. It remains to be seen, but the lack of a cost of living increase last year was in essence a pay cut equal to inflation. If wages are being targeted it could ignite support from the communities to ask the state legislature to consider revising the tax code for large mines in the state. Washoe and Clark counties are dying to tax gold mines at the proper market value. We are seeing more and more high level management positions given to non-Nevadans.The local people are being phased out. Barrick is in fact a Canadian company extracting Nevada's gold reserves resulting in billions of dollars in profits. The ancient tax breaks that only mines enjoy in this state are based on economic conditions and hardships that no longer exist. The only reason the communities support keeping these provisions in place is because we expect to receive higher than expected wages in return for our support. There could be a sort of Cold War soon to come.  less
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Stressful and hostile environment due to immature and abusive management appointments
I describe me as proactive, well-organized and persistent person, I can work both individually and in a team. I work efficiently under pressure and co
Condition Based Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Republic, MOMarch 6, 2017
Assist with the development, execution and maintenance of the NDT systems and programs that shall include dye penetrant, ultrasonic, magnetic particle inspection and other state of the art techniques as applicable for the process plant equipment. •Apply condition monitoring activities of process plant equipment, (Oil sampling,Vibration monitoring, IR thermography, Acoustics monitoring, general equipment inspections, Positive Material Inspection, Etc). •Review and modify processes, procedures, servicing requirements, inspection periodicities associated with the execution of the Condition Monitoring program. •Create and update the associated databases (AP sets, alarm sets, etc.) •Performing field laser alignments and field balancing of industrial equipment. •Experience in machinery acceptance test for rotating equipment. •Support the RCM Program and its continual development; educa
Lovely Work Place
Summer student (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVFebruary 21, 2017
My bosses and coworkers were kind and helpful when I needed the help. I worked 8am to 4pm 5 days a week and had time to spend with friends and family after. I never felt over worked or under appreciated.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVDecember 31, 2016
Want to get back to area with family to far away to much traveling back and forth have grand kids to see a lot more of I love my job but need a change
Excellent pay with great benefits
Mobile Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVNovember 18, 2016
Barrick is a great company to work for. There is opportunity to advance and the benefits are fantastic. The work schedule is demanding and challenging but often rewarding.
Awesome Team Work
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVNovember 3, 2016
Great company to work for. Developing company. Enjoyed working for the division I worked with. Continuously working together to save money. Developed a in house supplier warehouse to save money with welding supplier.
Not the place for IT pros.
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 29, 2016
Upper management from the CEO on down knows nothing about mining and they have run off all the exec's that did. Because of this, Barrick is nothing more than a numbers game, setting unrealistic goals that are driving morale in the ground. CIO only knows what he reads in magazines and hears at seminars. The priorities change daily, so you never know what is expected till they tell you that you're working on the wrong thing. The IT dept is all about shrinking the numbers of workers while increasing the amount of work to be accomplished.

If you like 70 hour weeks, with no weekends, this is the place for you!
Cons
Low wages, bonus program is a joke, terrible management
Barrick Gold is a great company to work for
Fixed Maintenance Planner III (Current Employee) –  Golconda, NVAugust 28, 2016
typical day at work at Barrick is a Fast paced, always moving and looking forward to the next thing.
I have learned the Oracle operating system from the ground up.
I have some great co-workers that are willing to work well with me and others.
Pros
learning new and interesting things
Cons
little time in the day to get everything completed
its a mine
Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Marathon, ONJuly 27, 2016
its a goldmine and dirty work, long hours and very physical work but very monotinous . Its ok for somebody who doesnt like using there brain, but not worth the money for hrs i put in.
Excellent Company.
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dominican RepublicJune 30, 2016
Excellent work experience, one of the best companies to work for.
Management and team work are exceptional.
The best work experience, growing and learning y working with contractors from all around the world.
safety is priority
Summer Intern, Process Department, Goldstrike Mine (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVApril 13, 2016
Barrick Gold Corporation is a really good company to work for that actually cares mostly about employees safety before production. Being a part of one of the leading Gold producing companies was a great honor.
Pros
good working environment and good pay as well
Cons
commute to work
Awesome Job
Industrial Hygiene Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVApril 11, 2016
Great place to work at. Enjoying my learning experience. Very willing to give new graduates an opportunity to learn. Just too far away from my home in Montana.
Hard work but good pay
E&I Intern (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVMarch 13, 2016
I don't feel qualified to answer the ratings section as I am only an intern and don't receive any of the benefits of a full time employee.
I can say that as an intern they have worked with me to get school supplies as long as I asked far enough in advance. They are also very accommodating as far as getting time off for extra study time or finishing up large projects.
As for the actual work, they are not shy about getting your hand dirty. I have been part of several electrical projects large and small. when I am at work they expect me to pull my weight as though I was a full time employee.
Great place
Warranty Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVMarch 1, 2016
Nice people and a class mine. Co-workers were great. Management has changed a lot and environment keeps changing. This was a very Team oriented mine, and safety was the largest of the concerns.
Benefits
Cons
too many changes
Good Place to work
pdm tech (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVFebruary 27, 2016
Good place to work with great pay and benefits. Get in the right job and position and you could make it great out there. the atmosphere on a typical day is good
Great place o work would love to go back to work for them or any company that has equal standards and goals.
Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVFebruary 21, 2016
Great place to work would love to go back to work for them or any company that has equal standards and goals. Co-workers are great we all formed as a team and even made good friends outside of work.
Barrick was well managed but in my opinion needs a little more help with who they are putting in charge of what, example, bringing in a pit boss supervisor in as an underground supervisor or vise versa when him or her have never been either or, i would say if someone wants to learn the other fields and aspects of mining to bring them in as a lower entry level miner first then working towards the harder tasked job s such as safety, supervisor, foreman or management.
Productive, and Great place to learn the mining industry trough different departments.
Inventory Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Ely, NVFebruary 19, 2016
Productive and good job experience and learning in the mining business. Stayed busy throughout the shifts with job duties and housekeeping. Learned how to work in the process plant at the roaster and working through the circuits of the process chain. Enjoyed the experience of learning this type of work and there was a great group of people to work with. started out in 2007 and transferred to Bald Mountain site in 2009 and started working in the warehouse as a tech. Job duties loading and off loading of trucks and receiving and shipping procedures, putting away stock and direct charge parts, pulling parts orders for departments when needed. then worked my way up into the Inventory Control position in 2013.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Challenging and good place to work
Mobile Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Cortez, NVFebruary 4, 2016
Planning for a fleet of haul trucks including back-log work and upcoming component changes. The challenge of working here keeps me going.
Good Learning Experiance
Neutralization Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pueblo Viejo, Dominican RepublicJanuary 31, 2016
Learned basic to intermediate Spanish and new supervision techniques.
Work environment was challenging
Management was good
Co-workers were very knowledgeable
Lived in the Caribbean
Pros
Good Benifits and good salary
Cons
Lack of family time worked alot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barrick Gold Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3