Bartell Drugs Employee Reviews

Drivers are the best But
employees for better choice (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 3, 2017
Drivers work diligently to a center that logistically was setup backwards. They have to pick up daily freight from the opposite side of the center. Time and management is counter intuitive to meet daily time demands. Plus fulfillment is just not consistent to ensure right products are delivered because the system is just wrong to meet the demands
Pros
Good people
Cons
controlling corporate
Difficult company to work for at the moment
FLOAT PHARMACIST (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2017
This company has a new labor model, now it is constantly understaffed. It used to be a place for quality service. Now, all the staff is jumping ship. You often float to stores where both the Pharmacy Manager and the Staff Pharmacist have left. Extremely short on quality technicians. Most technicians in the chain have very little experience.
Pros
Better than a grocery store environment.
Cons
Understaffed, be cautious with management
Great Family Owned Pharmacies
Executive Assistant SVP Merchandising and Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 13, 2017
Bartell Drugs is a very unique chain of stores/pharmacies. They are a locally owned company that focus' on supporting local merchandisers with socks, soap, toys, you name it they have it.
Pros
Local emphasis
Hardest working pharmacy you can ever go too!
Pharmacy Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WADecember 29, 2016
The pharmacy staff of Bartell Drugs in Shoreline is one of the hardest working staff I ever worked with. The pharmacist manager is always on top of her game and always values her co-workers in order to make the whole department well balanced by providing excellent support and strong communication skills. This works very well in meeting high customer and patients standards and expectations. Working at this pharmacy, I learned many different skills and techniques in communication, multitasking, and keeping up work orders in a high demanding and fast paced environment. Not only that, but also many different techniques in resolving conflicts involving prescription insurance billing issues and helping solve daily problems that our patients meet on a day to day bases. In my point of view, that is my most enjoyable part of working in the pharmacy. Solving many, if not all, problems and conflicts that both the pharmacist, the technicians, and our patients tend to meet regardless of what the issue tends to be. The only hardest part is not being able to resolve the matter, but still not giving up and still working as a team.
Pros
communication, friendship of co-workers, great team work
Cons
benefits, lack in opportunities, low pay, high firing rate
employees at this company were very dedicated and loyal
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 26, 2016
A typical day at Bartell's as a manager was quite hectic at times and managing your time and your teams time was crucial to getting everything done within the company's guidelines. This was truly a difficult task in times where there are few employees due to budgeting. Customer service was very top priority and the employees worked very well as a team to uphold all that was asked of them. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many incredible people- employees, customers, and vendors.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
small crew daily
Busy and often stressful
Cashier/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 17, 2016
The company has been family owned until recently. The "corporate feel" is beginning to find its way into Bartell Drugs. You may find yourself terminated for violating a simple policy. Other times you will hear of employees doing outrageous things without any consequences.

The business attracts some great people, employees included. If you show initiative, they are more than willing to promote. The day to day work is tedious sometimes, but they allow you to be part of the store's success by having you do tasks other than just being a cashier.
Pros
15 minute breaks
Cons
Unreasonable policies.
Great co workers
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WASeptember 28, 2016
I loved working there. Management was wonderful at both locations. Co workers have always been nice.
Somedays however, it would feel like we were short staffed and the workload would become stressful but with the team I was able to work with we got it done.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
breaks are hard to get to but thats expected in the Pharmacy
Avoid at all costs
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 22, 2016
The culture at this company is toxic. Your experience/satisfaction wildly fluctuate between the different stores, which as a manager you will be transferred between often and for no apparent reason. I have already been between 5 stores within 3 years. 3 of those store managers never left the office, delegated ALL their responsibilities, and had no clue as to the goings on in their own store. High management turnover from anyone with any other structured retail background.

Bartells does not take advantage of even 1990's retail technology and what little it does is confusing even for someone with a computing background and it frequently glitches. Ordering is still done by hand. There are very few inventory controls which lead to constant over shipping/over ordering with no relief for the companies own warehouse. It is a logistical nightmare.

I can go on and on, you get the gist. I would not recommend unless it saved you from homelessness, and then I would have to think twice. Perhaps within ten years or when upper management has been completely replaced can this company even begin to change the culture.
Pros
Pays well for the work.
Cons
Completely Unorganized, Low payroll budget, Many Unqualified General Managers
Steady safe job
Warehouse Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 17, 2016
Bartell life in the Warehouse is a good job. I have been there for ten years, and I still don't mind going to work.

The good:
I have learned an awful lot. Warehouse equipment training, some office computer system experience, and a lot of general experince with warehouse inventory control. I've been able to witness different management styles and pick out the pieces that I believe work or don't work. I think this will one day make me a very successful manager.

The bad:
The HR department is more of a hindrance than a help. The average new employee goes nearly 30 days from interview to start day- with only a basic background check and drug test. As a result, we are constantly understaffed.
There is also a profound lack of communication throughout many departments in the company, both within and without the warehouse itself.
Pros
Good benefits and perks. Discounted gym membership, ski passes
Cons
Does not provide public transit assistance despite being a large company in a mostly urban areaa
Unless you were a long term employee, not very welcoming
Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 2, 2016
Has potential to be a great culture, but old school thinking blocks newcomers from making progress. I loved it there, but saw many new ideas from many departments shut down quickly. I think it has changed since then with new management that came in shortly after I left.
Bartell Drugs its number 1 thing is customer service
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 21, 2016
work day is busy fast paced. i learned customer service. we worked as a team. the hardest part was moving away.
the best was the customers.
I like my job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Snohomish, WAApril 17, 2016
A typical day is greeting
,walking guests to the product,merchandising products for sales,Directing employees on tasks to be completed daily. banking,communicating with vendors,employees, store manager,and our guests.
Decent job, terrible supervisor
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 7, 2016
A typical day at work involved me manning the cashier (usually the only one open at the time due to the time my shifts usually ran) helping out the customers as expected of me followed by moving about the aisles in the front of the store organizing everything to be nice and presentable for the customers. I learned how to work a cash register (at least Bartell's cash register, i'm sure other places have different ones) as well as multi tasking at a much faster pace. My co-workers were all very nice and good at their jobs and were most certainly more than willing to give me a nudge in the right direction when I was unsure what to do. Honestly my only real complaint with the job was one of the supervisors. This particular one had a nasty habit of talking down to me like I was an idiot, which only cemented my choice to leave that job
Pros
Caring co-workers
Cons
One really bad supervisor
Bartell drug is a good place for employement
North Bend- Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  WashingtonFebruary 9, 2016
I think that they give good and fair opportunity for advancement within the company and pay well. It is a company that is very good to their guests and treat people with kindness and care. I think there are many tools for someone to advance in the store and into the corporate office.
Pros
great benefits, employee discount
Cons
management is asked to work a lot of hours and this makes it hard to balance home and carreer life.
Great place for a first time job
Sales Clerk/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAJanuary 18, 2016
This was a great place to work for a high school student working their first job. The training and atmosphere is very uplifting, yet the management gave me exactly what I needed to build good work place habits and to also succeed.
Pros
Easy schedule to work around
Cons
Not a forever job
Great first job.
Cashier/Customer Service/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJanuary 7, 2016
This was my first job in which I gained some great experience from including customer service, cashiering and stocking shelves. I also worked in the Photo/High risk department counter which sold cell phones and photo processing services.
Work setting compatible with needs of work flow.
Pharmacy Assistant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 30, 2015
Arrival upon work is usually the most pressing business at hand. Usually telephone and previous days business along with new prescriptions coming in from e-fax, fill or approved prior authorizations. The day progresses along with customer services, doctor calls, labeling and processing right person, dose, drug, sig and insurance provisions. Keeping up with the timing, accuracy and mathematical conversions are key to completing customer prescriptions. Ordering drugs that are not in stock and communication with insurance and doctors in formulary for orders to insure patient safety and care are the primary purpose. This is all in compliance with HIPPA privacy laws and regulations.
Pros
Successful in achieving customer satisfaction for repeat business.
Cons
Work overload.
Fast Pace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nice to be close to home.October 31, 2015
Bartell Drugs was started in 1890 and Sammamish is one of 60+stores. It is Great having a local drug store in Sammamish to serve our Northwest Neighbors' health and wellness needs better than anyone else.
Pros
Good Exercise Program
Cons
Rotating Shift Work
Productive and fun place to work for.
2nd Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 6, 2015
This company offers advancement for individuals that put in the hard work to be promoted to the next level. Bartell's also offers great benefits with less out of pocket costs.
Good environment to work in
Customer Service attending (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 5, 2015
Safe and a comfortable environment to work in. Nice and courteous co workers to work with. As a cashier I enjoyed serving the customers with respect and honesty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bartell Drugs. Our community is ready to answer.