This position reports to a division director or location manager and is responsible for the complete management of all assigned projects, ranging from medium to large in size and complexity. Projects may range from transportation, storm water, water or wastewater, with an emphasis on this position being transportation. Position may also serve as a team member on another manager’s project. Full management and authority of assigned projects includes developing and maintaining client relationships, marketing company services, identifying and meeting customer expectations, pricing and negotiating contracts, performing engineering services, oversight of project quality, resource identification and management, and meeting project deadlines and profitability goals.
Reports to: Location Manager - Jefferson City, MO
Location: St. Louis, Missouri preferred (other locations throughout Missouri optional)
Position Status: Full time, exempt
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Specific Client and Project Management
- Markets the firm’s services, including proposal preparation, developing and delivering client presentations and closing the sale with the clients.
- Executes planning for projects, including development of the project scope, task organization, estimates of effort and other required resources, and schedule necessary to complete the project. Creates estimate of cost and budget for the project. Projects for this position are typically larger in scope and complexity requiring more experience and knowledge to accomplish the project’s goals successfully.
- Develops and negotiates agreements for engineering services, including scope, fee structure, fee amount, schedule, and all other provisions related to risk sharing/management. Obtains internal input and approvals as required by the company’s policies.
- Executes internal project setup procedures in accordance with the company’s policies.
- Directs, manages and participate in the production of the project deliverables. Performs or participates in some or all of the following tasks:
o Preliminary studies, plans and cost estimates
o Definition of and oversight of design surveys
o Selection and contracting with vendors and sub-consultants
o Designs and plan production
o Project status/review meetings
o Specification and contract document development and production
o Bidding, contract award and construction administration oversight
o Quality monitoring and maintenance on all facets of the project deliverables
- Manages the monthly project accounting process, including review of time and expense charges to projects, timely preparation of invoicing and management of accounts receivable (A/R) and work in process (WIP) in accordance with the company’s policies.
- Reviews and assesses the financial performance of all assigned projects on a regular and ongoing basis. Coordinates and implements changes in resource assignments, production methods, etc., to achieve optimum efficiency and profitability.
- Communicates openly and frequently with clients during the course of a project to ensure that all issues are addressed efficiently to the client’s satisfaction. Prepares, conducts and documents all progress review and other meetings.
- Conducts project closeout, including contract closeout, internal evaluation of project performance relative to the budget and feedback from the client regarding our performance on project.
- May act as primary contact with State and Federal agencies; as appropriate may serve on local or State boards as a representative of the company to provide a company presence and input into developmental issues.
- Stays abreast of new engineering trends and techniques. Participates in professional organization(s) in the manager’s area of expertise and/or client focus. Maintains professional licensure in the states required by the company.
- Participates in the creation and implementation of the division marketing plan. Identifies, analyzes and develops company business opportunities in conjunction with the Division Director.
- Understands the company’s client service model and applies these principles to all interactions with clients.
- Develops and participates in ongoing client maintenance and support opportunities such as presentations and relationship-building activities.
- Develops and maintains key client relationships for the company, identifying appropriate strategies and opportunities to succeed. This position is considered an experienced resource for others to utilize in developing their own client maintenance strategies and is available to coach others in improving their client relationship techniques.
- Reviews personal and staff (as required) labor utilization on a regular basis relative to general goals and specific budget targets. Participates in resource sharing with other managers as required, maximizing individual and unit labor utilization.
- This position is expected to have a solid understanding of all primary financial measurements and reports for the company and operating units and may assist division director or location manager in developing the division’s annual business plan.
- Participates in developing a culture of discipline in the division where the meeting of goals and deadlines is required not only with clients but with others throughout the company. Meets all administrative requirements and requests established by the firm on the dates specified (e.g., timesheet submission, invoice preparation and submission, salary/bonus recommendations, report submission and other corporate directives, etc.)
- Implements divisional quality control procedures.
- Oversees and directs the assignments of engineers and technicians assigned to the project to meet project schedule requirements. Regularly mentors and develops project team members. These project teams may be larger in size due to a project’s scope and complexity.
- Develops and fosters an open environment encouraging communications among team members assigned to a project. Provides constructive performance feedback to project team members and coaches to improve performance.
- Provides performance information on all project team members to the appropriate manager. May participate in the development and delivery of performance appraisals.
- Participates in the interviewing and hiring of team members. Develops and implements a system of orienting and training of new employees. Participates in the training and mentoring of technical, professional and administrative staff as appropriate.
- Collaborates with other managers in the management of project staff including timesheet/expense approval; overtime authorization and approval; vacation/sick leave approval; and interpretation of policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Customer Focus (internal/external)
Self-awareness & self-management
Focus on results
Education: Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, as appropriate or equivalent in combined education and experience in the field of practice. Professional Engineering Licensure.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years experience as a project manager. Business development experience strongly preferred.
Must be able to travel on occasion, which usually would consist of visiting the outlying locations, attending seminars or business meetings.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested.