Barton Associates, Inc. Employee Reviews

Worst Management of any business
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 9, 2017
Terrible leadership. Bunch of 20 to 33 year olds trying to play grown up. The West Palm office has the worst leadership and management of them all. This company is a scam. Build your base then fire you to give it to a senior person so their buddies can make money.
Official response from Barton Associates, Inc.
November 13, 2017

Since 2001, Barton Associates has grown to over 650 employees in 8, soon to be 10 locations. We are a leader in the $3.6 billion locum tenens industry we expect to be the largest company in the industry within the next decade.
We pride ourselves on offering a career platform where new and recent college grads can rapidly increase their income and grow a career based on the hard work they put forth.

By no means are we a "scam" nor do we condone the firing of an employee so someone else can take their clients.

If you have a specific instance of unprofessional leadership or management practices, please contact me directly and I will investigate the situation and address appropriately.

Regards,

Alex Ashcraft
Manager, Human Resources
aashcraft@bartonassociates.com

cuthroat every man for themselves work place
Associate Account Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAAugust 27, 2017
every man for themselves, very competitive and self reliant job. long hours, 9 hour days, lots of cold calling. weak training program, depends on your own hard work and if you're driven. hard to survive at this job
Fun atmosphere.
Associate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 16, 2017
Fun atmosphere, but you have to LOVE phone sales to love this job. and be VERY patient. You have to be on the phone from 8-am-5pm ( and they actually want you to stay longer than that) they track the amount of calls you make and how many minutes you talk with clients per day. You have to compete with about 60 other people to get your own clients.
Productive work place with a fast pace sales environment
Associate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTJuly 11, 2017
As long as you're willing to work hard and exceed all metrics there is much to be gained from Barton. It's fast pace, raw sales environment is as fruitful as you want it to be. It really shows you how to grind.
Pros
Environment, management
Cons
Sales closes can take a long time
Good place to start
Lead Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAJuly 10, 2017
A little disorganized as far as structure goes but possibility to make really good money. Management is shaky mostly because promotions are based on sales, not management experience or skills.
Pros
compensation
Cons
pressure sales
Barton Associates- Keene, NH
Recruiting (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHMarch 30, 2017
Barton Associates is a great company. If you are a hard worker and like to make a lot of money you're in the right place! They are very loyal with their employees who are loyal to them and come into work every day and actually work. I've been with the company for about 2 years and have seen a lot of people (including myself) who have become extremely successful.

Everyone who works for the company all have the same goals and get along really well. We all work together for 45 hours a week and then get together on the weekends. It truly is a work-hard, play--hard kind of environment.

Managers are constantly working to make sure that their employees are getting the best training as possible. They will always push you to do more and to be better but it's because they want to see you become as successful as they have become.
Yes, this position can be stressful and can have long hours, but it all pays off when you can pay off your school loans, send money home, and purchase a brand new vehicle.
Pros
Work environment, strong management, fun friday's
Cons
Can sometimes be long hours
Great Opportunity
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAMarch 16, 2017
Barton has provided me with the opportunity to grow and evolve my career. I never thought I'd be where I am today. Hard work gets rewarded here. The sky is the limit.
Pros
Growth opportunity and great people
Cons
hard work... no handouts
Productive, fun workplace
RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 4, 2017
If you are looking for a career that has the potential for great income and work/life balance, then this is the place for you.
Don't waste your time with this company!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 31, 2017
The first indicator upon employment acceptance is that they don't do background checks, reference checks or require medical exams, so you can imagine the high turnover rate, take you in and spit you out just as quick, I never even got the chance to prove how good I am, accepted the position, first day I show up ,long commute for me, didn't time it correctly, knew I would be @5 min traffic delay, called my direct supervisor, told me no worry, thanks for alerting him, went thru a 4 hour orientation and then told I was fired on the spot for being late, Sounds like a great job for anybody looking to work on eggshells every day, knowing you will be fired on the spot for anything, no warnings, understandings etc...Don't waste your valuable time with this company.
Cons
Better than most recruitment agencies
NP outpatient (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEJune 28, 2016
They work with you, especially in the beginning (as they all do, to get you there earning money), but some recruiters have no empathy and can turn on you if you miss a flight or require more help. It's really disheartening and just adds to the stress.
Pros
Lots of good jobs and some very helpfull recruiters
Cons
Dont go anywhere whitout a backup plan, some reruiters won't help you
No work life balance, pay is not worth it
Physician Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHFebruary 23, 2016
The upper management are shady, they say that they want your best interest, but in the end, they want you to help them make money. This is a revolving door of employees, the managers are inexperienced, all of 25 years old- maybe, and have only been there 6 months themselves before being promoted.
if you try to do something different than their way- they micromanage, make you just call er physicians 5x daily after they accidentally registered, for months on end in hopes they may take a job opportunity that you have.
in the end, the jobs you have are really not qualified correctly, so any effort, and harassing phone calls that you were required to complete would not even turn into any incentive because the 20something year old account manager that has been there 3 months did not do their job correctly so the job will not even turn into an assignment.
their is no work life balance, 9.5 hours a day, 8 on a phone the entire time, if you go to the bathroom, you are asked why you are walking around, or i have seen other "managers" time their employees bathroom breaks. and if you leave after the long hours of mind dumbing 100+ calls minimum daily, then you are not determined. nevermind that you have a life of your own. but wait dont stop there, because you will get calls all hours of the night, weekends etc on your personal cell phone from managers, or providers with you trying to save something that may have worked.
youll get email after email from "higher ups" asking how you are going to fix your stuff, when it is the other side not doing their work correctly which is making
  more... you suffer.
like someone said, if you like a bunch of adult kids, dialing phones and slamming keyboards for long hours every week! this is the place for you.
oh- but you do get 5 paid holidays and benefits after 30 days
sounds all great until you realize, that is normal for most corporations- and actually most will give you more holidays than that!
calling 100 different physicians on christmas eve for the one day they are with their family- not the best thing to "build a relationship"
i did get some great friends out of the place though- some of the providers which i was required to harass actually turned into lasting friendships!
Pros
mon thru friday schedule
Cons
no work life balance, long hours, revolving door, inexperienced management
High Turnover Rate
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Cold-Calling 24/7
Limited training
Little room for advancement
Poor management
Very high turnover rate
Poor company values
Cons
Low base pay
Fun work environment, but must be determined to be successful
Associate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 17, 2015
Fun work place. Management is very hands on which is nice. There are meetings every day to ensure success. Job relies on cold calling to find providers. Very long days since you're cold calling from 7-5, but if you put in the effort, in the long run it will pay off.
Pros
Management is helpful
Cons
hours and compensation
Recruiting nightmare
Associate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 9, 2015
I had done sales, and recruiting jobs for cumulatively about 2 years before I was offered a position at Barton. In the initial interview I was told you'll be on the phone a lot.. fine.... the job will be a challenge... I love to be challenged... sounds good to me.

So the day starts off at 7am with some kind of redundant meeting they've already given you an alternative version of 4 times. This usually lasts about an hour then it's time to hit the phones. In the beginning be prepared to make at least 60 phone calls a day or you'll get talked to about your productivity. It doesn't matter that all 60 phone calls were inconclusive. The job is not challenging in the least I would alternatively describe it as requiring extreme persistence, and a lack of common sense and knowledge of acceptable human interaction and boundaries.

They say that after you build a data base you can get referrals and stop cold calling. This is a huge illusion because my manager was cold calling right along side of me and complaining the entire time.

Overall the environment in the office is fun if you enjoy working with a bunch of adult children. They do promote staff bonding and building friendships within the company.

The last thing I have to say is that for the salary they start you with it's not worth working 50 hour weeks.
Pros
hour lunch, nice office
Cons
juvenile mannerisms of staff, low pay, cold calling, unnecessary meetings, micromanagement.
good for fresh out of college
Associate Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTJuly 8, 2015
Good for recent graduates looking for jobs in sales and laid back environment. Excessive amount of cold calling in a single day, long hours.
Very young workplace
Associate Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTMay 26, 2015
A typical workday is coming into the office for 7am and being glued to a phone for 10+ hours attempting to sell Barton and locums to hospitals, privately own doctor offices, etc. Very heavily sales and okay work place if fresh out of college in need of job. This company works based on salary and commissions(doesn't kick in until after 6 months). If sales is what you want to do as a career, then take a look into Barton. There is room for growth with company.
Pros
hour break for lunch
Cons
very young environment majority of staff is fresh out of college, the starting salary is not the best
A Career With Great Potential
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TxMarch 12, 2015
I am the Talent Acquisition Specialist for Barton Associates in Austin, TX. I've been with the company for about a month now. I am responsible for pre-screening applicants and reaching out to those that I feel would be a great fit for the position.

Overall, the office is very open, laid back and made up of young professionals that are recently graduated and looking to quickly begin a career. I have felt very welcome since I started.

On a daily basis, employees are on the phone making calls to hospitals and health care providers. When I interview candidates,I select those that come across as outgoing, driven and prepared to move up within the company. Experience or background in the medical field isn't a requirement, but rather a resilient and positive attitude is what stands out to me.

The first 6 months is considered a learning curve, but I've seen employees really excel at selling the services Barton Associates offers to medical providers. Slightly jealous of their earning potential.
The work hard/ play hard mentality is evident in the office, we have our own softball team and go to Top Golf pretty regularly.

Take home point about the company/advice for applicants: Stick it out for that first 6 months! You'll start to see the commission come in, and from what I hear, it's well worth the wait.
Pros
great location, everyone is super friendly, growing rapidly
Cons
cold calling ups and downs, low starting salary
Great place to grow your career
Associate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTNovember 30, 2014
This is a phone job, so a typical day here is spent at your desk talking on the phone. When you start out with Barton you will need to spend a lot of time cold calling. This can be frustrating, but will pay off for you if you build a strong database of people to work with. Over time your role as a recruiter changes and less time is spent cold calling. You get the opportunity to build relationships with clients and have more rewarding conversations.

One of the best parts of the job is the people and job culture at Barton. The office is always full of energy. Though it is a competitive environment everyone is friendly and willing to help out. Barton does a lot of little things to keep work fun. Since I started we have had several dress down weeks and office parties for every holiday. Management is supportive and encourages you to grow your career. If you are looking to get into a leadership role there are a lot of opportunities to do so.

This job will improve your communication skills, help you become more organized and goal oriented. You will need to prioritize and manage your time effectively to excel in this position. This is a great way to learn about recruiting if you are brand new to it. Barton is a growing company and a place where you will be rewarded for your hard work.
Pros
Opportunity to make a lot of money, Great people, M-F schedule, Benefits
Cons
Low starting salary, Long work hours.
Provider Beware
Medical Provider (Former Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 24, 2014
Based upon my personal experience with Barton Associates as a trained profession, I would not recommend working with this agency. Throughout the employment search process, the representatives of Barton were not forthright about assignment details, when dealing with compensation, or the credentialing process. The contract presented by Barton was unscrupulous at best in which their finders fees amounted to half of the salary offered by the company. In addition, the contract contained questionable legal addendums (no time off, no sick leave, no flexibility, no compensation for no show appointments while Barton is able to pocket their share regardless). I would strongly recommend that you look to other agencies if you are a health care provider or company in search of quality providers in the health care industry. You have a choice as a consumer and Barton is not a good choice based upon my experience.
Pros
Cons
dishonest and unscrupulous business practices, no interest in working for the client.
Account Managers and Fufillment Specialists BEWARE
Sales (Former Employee) –  New England RegionOctober 27, 2014
Management is typically promoted with ZERO previous managerial experience; they were just effective salespeople.

The promise of a guarantee in salary raise is if you meet difficult goals and the original base pay is low, as well as the chances you will make any kind of commission for the first six months.

You will be MICROMANAGED and asked (if you are an Account Manager) to cold call hospitals and clinics and sneak around trying to gather information and eventually speak to the decision maker to see if they need temporary staffing. A fulfillment specialist has to make double the calls as an AM unless they're on the phone with a candidate.

Decent benefits begin after 30 days if you make it. Turnover in this place is the worst I have ever seen. Unless you are able to unlearn what you know about sales or be brainwashed, you may want to have an ethical conversation with yourself before taking a position with this company.

Super short breaks. By the time you get your food, you have to be back dialing the phone. and this is NOT a 40 hour work week. MINIMUM of 45 hours, if you are making your numbers. Otherwise be prepared to STAY.

On paper, the company looks great, but if you do interview, ask to tour the entire building. They will likely keep you away from the room where agents are screaming at the top of their lungs swearing. Try having that in the background while you are calling CEOs or Doctors.

No good.
Pros
Weekends Off
Cons
Low Salary, Short Breaks, Predatory expectations, Inexperienced and Ineffectual management, Micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barton Associates, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9