BASF Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working in the Fibers Division of BASF
Sr. Scheduling Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCOctober 15, 2015
It was a good company to work at before it suffered, like many companies have, when the economy collapsed. The Fibers Division was divested and sold to another company, then to another until the plant was finally closed.

I enjoyed the benefits and working with the people at the Fibers plant. I wish it were still open and operating but under better conditions.

I learned how to be a self starter and how to deal with difficult issues on a day to day basis. I enjoyed scheduling and keeping up with inventory incoming and outgoing.

It was difficult when the plant changed hands and finally closed but I don't regret being part of that industry.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits
Cons
The fibers industry was divested and then closed
Lousy benefits, no vacation time, no sick days,no holiday pay
Field Analyst / Quality Paint Inspector (Current Employee) –  West Point, GAApril 4, 2013
We have no holiday pay, do not get any vacation time or sick days. We do not get raises. What you agree to in your interview is all you get no matter how long you work for them. I have learned how to adjust the color of paint by adding tint paste and pigment. I have learned how to adjust the viscosity of paint and primers. My mannager is almost never at work. So I have gotten alot better at self supervising and finding things to keep me busy. I get along with my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is never getting to spend time with my kids because I am always at work. I cant think of a most enjoyable part pf my job.
Pros
i earn money to pay my bills
Cons
i never get to see my family
Bullying & harassment.
Process Controller (Former Employee) –  Hartwell, GAJuly 10, 2014
6.5 years on night shift as the only female isn't right. Any issues that came up & brought to the Coordinator was dismissed or turned to blame the employee as at fault. Sexist supervisor unless you was like him he had no use for you. The night shift employees were allowed to bully & harass. The coordinator would rather let you make mistakes (errors in lack of training) several times before coming to you. And forget about cross training. Most of the employees would rather telling on you for anything & everything than work together as a team. I personally told my coordinator that if I fell down the stairs those guy would step over me than help me. The culture has changed & it is a terrible place to work now in my opinion.
No day the same.
Contract worker (Former Employee) –  75123October 18, 2014
- Typical day at work included mixing color samples and building pallets.
- I learned many interesting facts about wall finishes and color
- Warehouse manager is a corporate snake. He holds information from the workers needed to complete task. Never confronts issues with employees just let's them go and ALWAYS takes the managers side even if they are wrong.Soon as contract workers ask about money they get fired.
-Loved all of my co-workers
-Hardest part of the job was dealing with management and watching my immediate supervisor lie about an accident to keep a safety streak going.
- Only thing I regret is the ability to mention names in this post
Pros
awesome schedule
Cons
will not hire full time, forced to work on off days
Great people, great place
Regulatory Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 23, 2015
The registration process was challenging, yet stimulating and rewarding. Interaction with co-workers was productive and pleasant. Onsite management was very open and responsive to suggestions/ideas and recognized daily efforts and achievements. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was working in a safe, pleasant environment with caring, responsible co-workers. The most difficult part of the job was having all administrative positions relocated to another state and not being able to relocate due to family ties/responsibilities; thus ending my 15-year employment.
Pros
benefits, safe working environment, friendly co-workers
Cons
limited advancement
Exciting carrier with endless challenges
Chemical Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Newport, DEApril 17, 2015
The most important thing that BASF has tough me in my career is that nothing is more important than safety. From the very beginning they showed me why safety comes first which has allowed me not only to bring safety to work but also allow me to use it at home with my family. My job duties there where to follow daily batch card report and follow/adjust product blending as needed per batch. Use of a chemical industrial lab help aid in the testing of the batches. It is a team orientated work environment, witch helped you get along and improve your skills and knowledge.
Pros
competitive pay and benefits. constant training and improvment
Cons
Great guys to work with but lacks decent management
Senior Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXSeptember 17, 2015
The personnel in operations are a great bunch of guys to work with and if that is all you have to deal with, then it's an awesome place to work.

The problem is that it lacks any consistent management. Since the facility is the premiere facility for that division, it is used as a stepping stone for management. This means that managers rotate through on their way to other facilities and we never keep any manager for more than two or three years.

Thus, we always have a constant flow of new inexperienced engineers coming and going.

Employee moral at this facility is poor.
Pros
Great co-workers, decent medical coverage
Cons
Poor management
Hard working small tight knit group of maintenance men.
Maintenance Millwright (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAMarch 23, 2014
Worked on equipment to produce super absoebent. The stuff sewn into baby diapers to absorb baby stuff. Installed,repaired, and overhauled airlock rotary valves, roots blowers, positive displacement feed pumps etc... Learned of three phase motors, solenoid valves level probes and micro motion meters. For ten years I worked on the most diverse equipment in my life up to that point.
Everyone pulled together to get the jobs done. Great benefits, bnuses and a fat turkey at Thanksgiving time.
Pros
great people to work around challenging environment.
Cons
a larger facility was built in freeport texas and our plant shut down.
Solid company with great people
Procurement Associate (Current Employee) –  Geismar, LAOctober 17, 2013
I am looking for another job because the position that I currently hold has been moved to another location. BASF has given me the opportunity to increase my knowledge of SAP, learn about mindsets and behaviors of people. The most difficult part of leaving a job is the people, because that is who your true relationship is with, not the company but the people. I have made many friends working at this company. The hardest part of my job is when I do not have enough to do, I am most challenged when my day is full of task to complete. I enjoy helping people do their job better.
Pros
teleworking from home, number of vacation days
Cons
benefits changing
Accounts payable positions
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJJanuary 5, 2013
A deadline and detail-oriented individual, who is highly organized and motivated with 10+ years of experience in the accounting field. Effortlessly handles multiple responsibilities. Duties include matching, batching, coding, issuing and distributing checks, while maintaining a high level of accuracy and speed.Enjoyable day of work is communicating and verifying coding and signature approvals limits, invoice input 100 or more invoices a day in SAP System , phone communication with interoffice locations and vendors, work well with co workers, invoices into the system enjoyable and challenging part of the day.
Ever changing work priorities with minimal system support
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 28, 2012
New challenges daily, multi-tasking required. Interaction with peers, other departments and subordinates. Change and rapid growth have led to about a 30% increase in the work force. It has also spurred some job turn over. Hardest part of the job is helping people understand why they must follow procedure to the letter and not take short cuts. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have opportunity to go back to someone you've counseled about a failure to follow detail and recognize them for their efforts and improvement.
Pros
clean environment
Cons
training is minimal and unstructured
World Class Chemical Company
Technical Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 17, 2015
BASF is a well know, industry leading chemical company. As a Technical Sales Representative I have had the priviledge of being mentored by a best-in-class sales team. In working with my sales team, customer service team, product management, logistics, and other team members we are able to build and maintain strong customer relationships. My dedication to maximize my availability creates a demanding work environment, but pays off with success. As a people-person, working in sales is a great fit for my personality.
Pros
Compensation, Incentives, Transportation, Expenses
Cons
Demanding Work Schedule, Travel
A wonderful company to work for with regard to work/life/balance, excellent benefits packagage.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJMay 15, 2014
A typical day at work for me was each morning to come in and check emails for my to do list. Then I would typically sit in with my boss to check his calendar for his day's schedule.

My co-workers each day would ask for help with making travel arrangements; setting up a video conference; reserving a conference room; mail, fedex, distributing product information, and ordering supplies.

There wasn't any part of the job that I would say was hard - I loved my job and enjoyed my co-workers and the total environment.
Pros
working from home 1 day a week
Cons
the commute
Great company to work with
Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 21, 2014
Great place to work. I liked everyone at the plant, in all departments, for their personalities and the work they put into the plant. I cannot discuss a "typical day" because my job varied greatly; I was, after all, a Cooperative Education student working through the University of Cincinnati's co-op program. As such, I learned much about working in professional settings and several soft skills that one does not pick up in college. I found that the hardest part of work was finding enough time to get everything done that might possibly need done; there was always something more that could be done to make improvements.
Fast pace and productive workplace
Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Allen, LAJune 9, 2012
Unloads/loads bulk and non-bulk packaging; loads totes and drums intermediate, finished products, and waste, ensuring that all work is in conformance with quality, safety, and regulatory standards. Duties include but are not limited to ensuring that all SOPs are followed; all samples that are taken are representative of current activity; labels are applied properly; non-bulk containers are safety transported via fork truck; properly operating all equipment; activities necessary for preparing equipment for maintenance; performing preventive maintenance checks; and proper housekeeping.
Some of the best people to work with.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 24, 2015
Lab Technician-The people that have been there since the doors open basically feel like they own the business. They hold all the cards. They know the job and basically would rather see you fail than to teach you. Good old boy mentality. They have their favorites. If your liked you will do well. If your not like especially by other co-workers you won't last long. The job is dirty and they won't do anything to make it safer for the employee. Could be a great place to work if they cared about employees as much as they care about pushing stuff out the door.
Pros
Some great people there
Cons
To much favoritism
Learning base environment with the opportunity to participate in group projects.
Maintenance Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 19, 2013
A typical work day consisted of a daily production meeting with all managers and supervisors in which I enjoyed, to assess the need of the plant, an early morning to mid-afternoon planning and scheduling meeting. The hardest part was constantly having to adjust
to un-predictable downs that interrupted the schedule, but the satisfaction came when to problems were successfully resolved.
Pros
continual learning seminars and traing sections.
Cons
great healthcare benifits and the opportunity for personal investment
Productive Workplace with focus on work and life balance
Demand Planning Manager -Catalysts Global (Current Employee) –  Iselin, NJNovember 11, 2013
Daily reports, reviewing of direct reports finidings, trainings, meetings, systems access, making high level ecalations of daily issues. Coworkers easy to talk to and willing to share information as we are allon the same team. Management allows me to work with autonomy. Most difficult part of the job is getting acclimated to chemistry applications coming from retial. Most enjoyable part of the job is there never a day that I don't learn or teach something.
Pros
wokr from home days
Cons
long hours, challenging business financially
Not a bad job, but stressful.
Process Operator, Polyol Plant (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LASeptember 14, 2012
The job itself is pretty easy. However, management from shift supervisors up to OMs were almost useless. An "us against them" culture. Very combative.

Salary was good, but no retirement other than the union pension fund. Rank and file bonuses disappeared, but continued for management.

Co-workers ranged from useless to true team players.

The worst part is that management, Ops Coordinator and/or OM and/or HR "black balls" workers they personally don't like to prevent them from working for someone else by divulging information prohibited by federal labor laws.

STAY AWAY!
bosses and co-workers all friendly and help out.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wyandotte, MIDecember 16, 2012
set up coffee room for day shift; collect all plant paperwork from previous day (all shifts); input information onto Excel spreadsheets or into SAP; order office supplies and distribute when arrives; collect time sheets for payroll every other week; assist safety coordinator on projects.
Hardest part of job: keeping my work within 40 hours (usually had to work Saturdays)
Most enjoyable was working with people constantly
Pros
flexible hours, bosses treated me as a co-worker instead of a subordinate
Cons
was a contract position so limited benefits