BASF Employee Reviews

Family like place
Operator (Current Employee) –  Neport, DeJanuary 10, 2017
Very good place to work cant say anything bad really the site is a absolute awesome place to work if you get a chance to get hired keep it. You will be glad you did for the benefits alone
Basf
Forklift Operator, Shipping & Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NJ 08831October 30, 2016
Company moved to Mexico. Was the best company I have ever worked for. Great benefits and great work relationships. Very close to my home. Continue to keep in touch with people who still live in New Jersey.
Pros
Great employer
Cons
Moved to Mexico
Employment at a chemical production facility
Steering Team Facilitator / Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 12, 2016
I am currently working two positions at BASF and I work 12 hour shifts three days on three days off rotating days and nights every three days. A typical work day entails me first fulfilling my duties as a chemical operator followed by performing safety observation, various data entry, safety research, and removal of safety barriers for my position as Steering Team Facilitator. Bi-monthly, myself along with members of the Steering Team review data collected over the course of the month and determine team progress and potential safety hazards that require attention. The hardest part of the role of facilitator is finding time in my busy work day to fulfill the duties of the position in addition to motivating other observers. The hardest part of the chemical operator position is manufacturing high quality products with aging machinery. The most enjoyable part of my employment at BASF is seeing the observation process lead to the removal of safety barriers.
Benefits
Cons
Swing shift, old machinery, balancing two positions
outsiders and hard workers
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Sparks, GANovember 1, 2016
they hire mostly contract workers, if your not from the area you don't feel welcome. 12 hr shift rotating days. no benefits to any contract workers.
Great Company
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, OHOctober 18, 2016
Great Company to work for. Excellent pay and great benefits. Company offers a ton of perks/discounts and seem to care about the employees
Good company with great benefits
Administrative Assistant/Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Clifton, Parsippany, Mount Olive, NJMay 2, 2016
I had a very busy, high stress, very diversified job. I worked very hard, but I enjoyed it. I liked my co-workers and had good relationships with everyone. Of course, I met a great deal of people in my 33-year career, and there was occasionally a difficult, temperamental person. I learned how to keep my cool and just do my job. I learned a great deal over the years in different departments, Accounting, Finance, Purchasing, Sales and Tax. The most enjoyable part of my job, I think, was my relationship with my co-workers, the different activities provided by the company and my work in the different department I worked in. I also enjoyed meeting and dealing with many different types of people inside and outside of the company.

The hardest part of the job was the amount of work and the many deadlines that I had to meet. But I learned to work under pressure, and I learned to deal with the stress by prioritizing my duties, and I always met my deadlines.
Pros
Good secure company with good benefits
Safe workplace terrible management
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 22, 2016
Management now expects you to live at the site, corporate work life balance policies aren't enforced. Quality manager is a micromanager know it all. Morale is very low due to constant hire from outside versus promoting from within.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management is mean and degrading, no chance for advancement, they hire from outside.
Depends on what group you work in
Insurance Specialist, Full time (Former Employee) –  Mount Olive, NJNovember 30, 2016
I loved working at BASF. The majority of my experience there was excellent. This place is perfect in every way unless you are working for the wrong group. The legal department is the worse. Bad attitude, politically driven and most people don't get along with each other. Treasury is a bit better. The higher you get up in management the worse it gets. If you want to do one job for the rest of your career, this is the place where you'll want to head to. However, it is not impossible to move around for those who have high energy.

The business groups are great and each business group is different depending on management. I worked for the Nutrition group which was the best of all of them. Outstanding from top to bottom. Unfortunately, there is a lot of change here. You can't get comfortable or secure in the business groups. They pull the rug out from under you constantly but one can say, that's what keeps it from getting stale. Definitely not the place for a low energy employee.
Pros
Fantastic company to work for in every way.
Cons
Change is constant. Never stops
good place to work, money could be better
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 20, 2016
Every one seems very nice, but it is not perfect just like any company. Job security is fairly good since the company employs so many people even if your job is being done away with they can find you a different position.
Pros
flex hours, nice atmosphere, good benefits
Cons
pay and difficult to advance
Challenging work place with a standardized process
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 10, 2017
BASF Corporation is a Fortune 500 company, with a well standardized process which drives a typical day on the job; challenging targeted towards meeting deadlines.

The job teaches employees on how to multi task, with key emphasis on quality. BASF boost of an amiable management which routes for a well diversified employee mix and a respectable work place culture.

Overtime seems inevitable due to persistent high order volume, but employees are recognized and treated with much empathy.

Want to know more about BASF?

Ask a question
A/P Department
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed my position at BASF in the Accounts Payable department. I was a key component on my team in the A/P department. I handled training coworkers on BASF's policy and procedures. I also worked with different sites and other departments to resolve A/P issues in a timely manner. I also advise other coworkers on resolutions for issues that came up in the department. Enjoyed working with management to handle time sensitive projects and issues. Loved the dynamics and fast pace of the office.
Pros
teamwork, conflict resolution, training and coworkiers
Cons
travel to and from job, being outsourced
Great Place to work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 27, 2016
Busy environment, Great pay and benefits, Good management typical chemical plant shift work nights and days, very safety oriented very safe plant
management
Instrument Technician (Current Employee) –  Geismar, LAJuly 12, 2016
Safety is a last concern and everyone fights like its high school. the pay is low and the benefits are very costly and poor. the instrument department is very sad to be around.
Very well paying job if you can handle the chemicals that we are working with.
N-EVP/O - Plastic Additives Division (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMay 22, 2016
This job is just not for everyone. Great pay and benefits but you are required to wear a full face respirator to block harmful chemical materials. Some material is worse than others. If you can make it past the first couple of months this job should be a breeze.
Overall a good place to work
Raw Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Malcom, IAMay 13, 2016
My supervisor lived in another state and communication rarely happened. He had no idea what we did on a given day.
Not room for advancement in Malcom, Iowa
Most enjoyable part was taking to vendors
benefits
Cons
no supervisor close
Not the best, not the worst. Safety a joke, equipment breaks/no inventory
Chemical Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 21, 2016
Safety for the longest was not enforced. Management was not the best. The pay was descent. It was not your "assume the operator position" type of work, you had alot of hard days. Often times working on equipment that would break down everyday. The schedule was nice though, 4 on 4 off.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
working enviroment/safety
Colleagues are very nice and pleasent to work with and supervision is very helpful
Process/Project Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Peekskill, NYFebruary 3, 2017
While working here I had the best employer I have ever had. A typical day consists of communication with other employees and outside contractors. Typical projects consist of creating equipment documentation and designing ways to increase productivity. Everybody at the site is very pleasant to work with and will never give you a hard time. It is very easy to learn here because everybody is receptive to questions you might have and will assist you in any way possible.
Pros
Managment and colleagues are very good people
Cons
Short breaks and projects can get to be a little boring
The safest place i have ever worked.
Lead Packager (Current Employee) –  Brighton, COJanuary 26, 2017
Lead Packager of a 17 person crew. Dividing the nightly schedule between operators. Keeping records of production progress. Helping all employees with any issue, problems or breakdowns. Cleaning and repairing down machines. Keeping the shift safe throughout the night. Safety first work culture. Producing thousands of pounds of product a shift was my favorite part of the job.
Pros
A rotating schedule every other weekend off.
Cons
Adhesive is sticky business.
High energy,high level of expectations
Technical Account Manager- Formulation Additives (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 13, 2016
My day at work is always a high level of energy and very busy from Monday through Friday.

The day is usually consists with working with multiple colleagues in various types of work responsibilities,like marketing,R&D,and product management
Pros
building great working relationship
Cons
weekends are filled with working, vacations are filled with work and lots of travel
Productive enviroment great work ethic and great co workers
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln Park, MIJanuary 25, 2017
I've learned a lot when I was here, they are a little slow at training new employees, but its a great company to work for. They show that they are interested in the employees not just the customers.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, great hours, and great management
Cons
short breaks, training slow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BASF. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2