BASF Employee Reviews

Productive work place.
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 25, 2016
Bad management. Needed better communication and better management. The key to management is, and has always been follow up. Need better management that knows how to keep their aces in place.
Stressful
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  McIntyre, GAJune 10, 2016
Very evident that you were not cared for by the management unless you wanted to play politics. The people that know what they are doing and that do an excellent job are not compensated or even told that they are appreciated. There is a constant fear that you are going to lose your job over something ridiculous.
Treated workers excellent
Advance Plant Trainee (Former Employee) –  Wyandotte, MIAugust 30, 2016
Worked only 14 days a month with a full months pay.Was a great place to work and do the material handling for over a year and the worked int mixing department for the special plastic components needed for the extrusion lins for making the plastic pellets for the major injection molding companies world wide.
Pros
GOOD TO EMPLOOYEES
Cons
N/A
Great job and training
Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALMay 9, 2016
This is a lean manufacuring plant.
Only two people in management between me and the plant manager. This plant taught operators the dangers of the chemicals used as it was a paint making facility.
Pros
Batch making process that gets your feet for the chemical operator role.
Cons
Close group that was not fair about promotions.
Worked in the analytic lab which is not taken seriously by the rest of the plant.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHMay 9, 2016
I worked on the third shift in the lab.
Typically in a shift you would run 5-20 different physical and analytic chemistry tests on several different in-process products. This would range from something as simple as density to something as complicated as running the ICP to determine the specific makeup of a given product. Sadly this is fairly monotonous work and hardly varies. Work is sporadic and there is not much to do during down time. Working in the lab is essentially a dead-end for advancement within the company.

I learned the ins and outs of manufacturing and what quality control means for a company. I also gained much safety experience within manufacturing and chemical handling.

There is a lack of communication between any of the departments within the plant, but Management is doing a lot to improve the site, but that is a slow change. There is not much being done to improve the lab for this site, but it looks like much effort is being placed into changing the rest of the site for the better.

My co-workers were good people and generally very friendly, if it weren't for them I may have quit the job before the termination of my contract.
Pros
free food at meetings monthly, decent wages
Cons
no advancement opportunities, poor working environment, lack of communicaiton
Great career choice
Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXAugust 12, 2016
Basf has been a wonderful career choice. It has provided me with many years of successful service.
I have worked in the super absorbent polymer plant for 28+ years.
Lousy benefits, no vacation time, no sick days,no holiday pay
Field Analyst / Quality Paint Inspector (Current Employee) –  West Point, GAApril 4, 2013
We have no holiday pay, do not get any vacation time or sick days. We do not get raises. What you agree to in your interview is all you get no matter how long you work for them. I have learned how to adjust the color of paint by adding tint paste and pigment. I have learned how to adjust the viscosity of paint and primers. My mannager is almost never at work. So I have gotten alot better at self supervising and finding things to keep me busy. I get along with my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is never getting to spend time with my kids because I am always at work. I cant think of a most enjoyable part pf my job.
Pros
i earn money to pay my bills
Cons
i never get to see my family
Work life Balance
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Theodore, ALMay 8, 2016
The only hardest part of the job is when your job is done and everything is done.

Teamwork is good and healthy and fun while learning
Pros
free wifi, fare allowance
Flexible Work Schedule
Internship: Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 28, 2016
Working at Autobell is a very enjoyable job. It is very difficult work. Definitely designed for younger individuals. Working outdoors has its ups and downs. Tips make the job well worth the work.
Very diverse company
QA Lab Analyst Sr (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXMarch 5, 2015
BASF is a very diverse company in which I am proud to be a part of. The department in which I work is the analytical department. This particular dept. is very unique from any other lab in the company. It has one of the highest volumes produced and the highest profits. What we make in this block is SAP (super absorbent polymer) which is used to make diapers and other products. This is also a very demanding unit and challenging. I love this job and love the day to day and night challenges is has for me. This is the only lab at our site in which has shift work, meaning we work the same schedule as the operators in the plant. 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts rotating form week to week from days to nights.
The people in this plant are all treated as equals. From the managers to the janitor. Everyone has a purpose and is treated as such.
Pros
salery, benifits, being treated as an equal, room for growth
Cons
negative atitude of some co-workers
Productive and balanced work-life environment
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte NCAugust 4, 2015
• Communicate daily with supply chain and product managers to confirm available products to meet customer's demand

• Time management and multi-tasking are crucial

• Friendly co-workers

• Fast-paced and highly matrixed environments

• Safety driven work place

• Company gives 2 teleworking days per week

• Lots of fun activities and potluck parties
Pros
Health Benefits, 401K, teleworking
Cons
vacation days
Not a bad job, but stressful.
Process Operator, Polyol Plant (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LASeptember 14, 2012
The job itself is pretty easy. However, management from shift supervisors up to OMs were almost useless. An "us against them" culture. Very combative.

Salary was good, but no retirement other than the union pension fund. Rank and file bonuses disappeared, but continued for management.

Co-workers ranged from useless to true team players.

The worst part is that management, Ops Coordinator and/or OM and/or HR "black balls" workers they personally don't like to prevent them from working for someone else by divulging information prohibited by federal labor laws.

STAY AWAY!
twelve hour shifts with 3 breaks including lunch
Lead Mixer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COAugust 2, 2015
This company had great benefits. A good work ethic, but management was horrible. They could not keep workers. Fast paced work with blending in finish mix area. Quality is high priority. Oversee three to four workers to maintain good quality material and first time quality material as well. Safety was priority, but frowned upon if someone got hurt.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Bad management
Flexible schedule & respects work life balance
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 11, 2016
I am a mom that has to be the sole support for them and y supervisors were always willing to allow me to make up any missed hours. Each time I needed to leave work for my children, my supervisors were understanding of the importance of my family's needs.
BASF was a very job friendly enviroment
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Enka, NCMarch 19, 2014
I had 22 employees on the payroll and I was responsibility assigning workers each morning, checking on all the jobs. If material needed to ordered I placed the purchase order either through our warehouse or outside source. My responsibility was to estimate large jobs and make sure the job started and finishing on time. Checked on the men each day that was on a 53 acre site. I was on the fire department, Hazardous material team and flood control team. During the day if a fire alarm was activated would report to the fire station. I also had to close out work orders and ensured the the work was charged to the right department in the plant. Payroll was another of daily task.

This position help me in to learn the different trades that I managed.
This include railroad trackmen, paint, sandblasting, plumbing, carpentry work, masonry work, roofing, and heavy equipment operators.

Management was the best.
Pros
great health benefits, working enviroment was good enjoy going to work
Cons
When the plant shut down and I was layed off
Fun place to work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJSeptember 27, 2016
Outsourced AP to Uruguay. Old AP Processes needed updating, still many invoices coming in via mail, etc. Environment and people were great.
I enjoyed working at BASF for the 15.5 years and had a well diversified workload.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJJune 4, 2016
I enjoyed my position at BASF Corporation. I handled the VPs and Directors of EN division and assisted the Pharma Solutions group.
I was terminated in a reorganization of the division. they eliminated four admins and opened to two positions for rehire or applications.

I worked in the office Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning and returned home to New Hampshire weekly and since I did not want to work more days in NH, I was eliminated.
Productive and good working envirement
Chemical Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Seaford, DEAugust 28, 2016
Wonderful working conditions. Unable to move with the company from Delaware to Texas.
Very professional, training of employees was ongoing. Very safety oriented.
Good work experience
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, AR 72301September 2, 2016
Safety is a major key when working in the chemical field. You have to be sure to keep safety first and do your part to ensure you and your coworkers make it back home to their families the same way they left them.
Enjoyable company to work for
Safety Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 7, 2016
BASF was a good place to work. People were friendly and caring. Each person was given individual consideration, not overlooked.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Can't think of any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BASF. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2