Bashas' Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Fun, fast-paced work environment.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 23, 2016
You get to know your community and co-workers, you come in to work knowing it will be mostly busy but that you'll be surrounded with fantastic people. I learned to take on many tasks at a time and make sure customers and co-workers were being taken care of equally. The management team are great people, it was a pleasure working along side them, they each cared so much for the company and the employees ad especially the customers. Some co-workers were grumps but the other 90% were always so helpful and friendly and became like a little family. The hardest part of the job was not being there, even on my days off i'd be worried about what was going on at work or if something had to be done for a customer. You had to make sure someone else was able to take care of it for you if possible. What i enjoyed the most was being accepted into my roles for this company, you get to learn so much, meet so many new and friendly people, create friendships and develop a great work ethic.
worked for company for 25+years
shipping and receiver (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 6, 2016
management is rude,mean, and does not acknowledge any good jobs that should be complemented for. They only bring up bad things or things that they think are important but does not give any advice to help inprove your. work ethic. People that are your co-workers are very nice, helpful and make coming to work enjoyable.
Pros
cross training in different areas
Cons
managements attitude
Great work environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 11, 2016
Typical day at work:
-Clock in
-Bag groceries
-Bring in carts
-Help out customers
-Sometimes clean out bathrooms
- Sweep the floors of the store
-Empty out trash

Learned how to bag groceries properly, where things are located in the store, and how to do my job.

Management was great. They helped me out when I needed it and treated me kindly.

Co-workers were nice for the most part and kept to themselves.

The hardest part of my job was multitasking. Knowing when to go outside to bring in carts while helping cashiers and performing multiple tasks.

I enjoyed coming in to work and only hit a few snags along the way. Learned a lot!
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Payed minimum wage at the time
Great store, Great Managers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Needles, CAJuly 18, 2016
Typical day is constant on ur feet. Running around constantly. You learn a lot of communication skills. Remembering where things go on selves. You have a lot of co workers that some do the same job you do. And you help each other out if one is falling behind. Its a very fast-paced job. Hardest part of the day is going outside to push carts especially with our heat here but it very doable not that hard. Most enjoyable is finishing my tasks on time & having time to help help others if needed.
Pros
Very reasonable with days off, 2 breaks
Cons
no benefits, had to miss days becuase of school
Courtesy clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 20, 2016
Typical day was bagging groceries, cleaning, retrieving carts, and assisting customers.
I learned that you need to remember what items were placed in carts and where you put them so that you can organize merchandise correctly and well.
Management; I did not like that management did not appear to care about hours that their employees worked (so few) who really wished to work and do a good job.
In regards to coworkers; I thought that they know more then me and that they had more experience; they were helpful.
The hardest part of my job was clearing the lot of shopping carts.
Easiest part of my job was sweeping the store.
Pros
Working more then you were scheduled to
Cons
Signage computer malfunctioning
Productive Workplace, Got to learn Customer Service.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gold Canyon, AZAugust 22, 2016
You would come in and get straight to work with making fried chicken, baked chicken, ect. Learned how to talk to customers interact with customers and your co-workers. Got to know your management better. Fast pace environment, seeing the happy smiles of the customers.
Pros
Meeting new people, making friends.
Cons
Not very understanding of home life. Unusual hours. Grumpy customers.
Enriching work enviorment with great advancement potential.
Meat Helper/Closing Duties (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2015
A normal day at Bashas Markets would consist of wrapping meat cut into selected cuts of meat. Keeping the Meat Cutters stocked with Styrofoam trays or the cuts of meat they would cut during the day. Making sure Boxed meats in walkin cooler wear kept in code and rotated so that meat was used at its freshest. Worked with a Fresh Meat case servicing customers who wanted items such as fresh fish, pork, and beef in various forms and made sure the fresh meat case was stocked. At closing duties included cleaning all surfaces used by meat cutters, Fresh meat grinders (Big and Small), Stocking Foam tray bins for next day, And on rare occasions would cut various types of meat for customers using the Ban Saw or by hand during certain sales when meat was sold in whole cuts (i.e. Whole Sirloin in the bag, etc). Management kept a "team" work ethic which i try to use to this day in every aspect. My co-workers i would say were the type everyone would want to have in any job.
Pros
Good experience in an industry trade, Great benifits and pay, Great Job advancement potential.
Cons
Family owned business that is trying to keep up with the big superstorep
Ergonomic safety chairman (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 9, 2016
My typical work week would consist of five 10 hour days with Sunday and Thursday off. Trained and managed many good, skilled people and hired as many good candidates as possible to promote the company.
Pros
Sunday and Thursdays off were very nice
Cons
Bad management and a not so great future
Awesome work environment, friendly associates, make what you earn
Order Selector/ Forklift Refrigerated (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 21, 2015
Friendly people who were outgoing and willing to help other people in a moments notice. Communication between management and hourly associates was great. Worked in different climate sections throughout the day. Learned that if you worked hard you would be rewarded in many different ways. The people here are like one big happy family, always communicating and helping each other.
Pros
Make what you earn, People, advancement opportunities
Cons
Rotating schedule
Typical retail. Good management matters
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wickenburg, AZ & Bagdad AZJuly 16, 2016
I worked in Wickenburg Az BASHAS and it was a great place to work. Great management Plenty of camaraderie I transferred to Bagdad BASHAS No working together Nepotism throughout the store. Real disappointment I loved working with the customers. I loved working with the venders while receiving
Pros
Early hours. Weekends off
Really pushes customer loyalty
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 22, 2016
I enjoyes working at Bashas'. The other employees are friendly and helpful. I felt like I could go to management for most problem resolution. The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting. The most enjoyable part was seeing the same customers several times, getting to build a rapport with them.
Not fun
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 18, 2016
Not enough employees working in my department, expected to do the work of two or more people. Would get an earful if you couldn't comply or finish your work on time, or if you stayed late to finish it. Way stressful.
Pros
Had to "sample" your products. Enjoyed the people I did work with.
Cons
No reasonable time accommodation for breaks.
Enjoyed my job. I enjoyed counting money and reconciling.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 18, 2016
I enjoyed the work. Did not always care for all the managers that I worked with. Overall enjoyed my coworkers.The hardest part of the job is during the holiday or busy times of the year when the work volume increases and the workload is heavy and can be stressful.
They care more about customers than for employees
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Youngtown, AZFebruary 19, 2016
I devoted ten months to working here, and it was all for nothing. They fired me over making a mistake and it didn't matter what I had to say about it. Just know that the customer really is ALWAYS right.
Nepotism occurs at many bashas
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 12, 2015
Horrible schedules, no consideration for home life/ work balance, a definite disregard for employee's needs and consistently takes advantage of employees. Not many benefits, since only local grocery not many opportunities for advancement
Pros
n/a
Cons
provided in description
Very friendly company to work for. Scottsdale, AZ.
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 23, 2016
I worked at Bashas, I had various duties. I made coffee for the Starbucks located inside, I operated a register, I made sandwiches and pastry. I also did stock. Our stock was autoshipped. We also sanitized everything routinely.
Pros
Free to try their new products, so that you can let the customer know how you thought it was.
Solid work experience
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZNovember 6, 2015
No complaints just was ready to move on.. I enjoyed the management team and loved helping customers. decent health benefits after working for a full year.
Productive and always new people to meet!
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 8, 2016
I spent more time working there than I expected but overall a great company with great benefits. I ended up moving on for a better job opportunity but bashas was there for me when I really needed them!
Lots of heavy labor working in a deli department
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fountain Hills, AZJune 16, 2015
A typical day at work is mostly attending to customers, cleaning, and cooking. Every now and then i would train new employees. I learned good department management, responsibility, excellent cleaning skills, great customer service. Some of my co-workers were very hard to work with, but i managed. Hardest part of the job was not only the hard labor, constantly getting cut, burned, or bruised, but the workers who would not do their job or not do their job correctly. My most enjoyable part of the job was when everyone was happy and did their job correctly without complaining.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, not appreciated
Tasks vary from day to day, hours may vary, expectations are clear
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 2, 2016
Policies are very clear, responsibilities are well defined. If you are a hard worker, and show initiative, there is room for advancement. Hours vary from week to week, as do daily tasks.

Bashas' Supermarkets Reviews by Location