Bass Pro Shops Employee Reviews

No Job security
Management (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 27, 2017
Over the past two years the management staff in the stores has been cut back twice through restructure, leading to a lack of job security or feeling of security. Executives speak on conference calls of family and taking care of their people. This is far from reality in the company. There is much discussion of taking care of customers yet over the past 2 years payroll reduction has dramatically reduced the ability to take care of the customers.
Used to be a great place to work but this has been diminished as the cut backs have taken place.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
lack of job security, lack of customer service, lack of care about their people
Fun goal oriented position with competitive fun amongst coworkers.
Front End Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJanuary 23, 2017
I made many friends while working at Bass Pro. I learned very valueable skills that I use to this day. Although the company was large, in my department, it felt like a family which made work much more pleasant. I formed great relationships with customers and had a few regulars that would visit just to say hello.
Pros
Holidays were exciting and fun. On busy holidays free lunch was provided.
Cons
The store was located in the mall, Many of the young adults through were ill-behaved and rude, Lunch in the food court was difficult due to a short lunch.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 6, 2017
Typical day was unloading trucks, customer service. I learned the sales floor expectations as well the operations side. Management was fine. No one is perfect. You can learn a lot from different depts. There are some good associates that are willing to help and train. Employees make it a fun place to work. They become your work family. Do your job and have some fun at the same time. The job it's self is not hard.
Pros
EMPLOYEE ON THE MONTH/YEAR
Sunday Fundays (rarely)
Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXFebruary 16, 2017
Holidays are busy here, events, and even stocking. You'll like it if you sign up for a department you are use to. It is fast pace and you'd always need to answered customer's questions. Rarely some managers have a sunday funday if you work sundays. They let every employee (before opening) try something new in the store, Archery, fishing, or even sampling fudge.
Pros
30 minute lunches, 1 hour lunches, 10 minute breaks
Not a very good warehouse to work in.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 8, 2017
If you arrive to work or back from lunch one minute late, they dock you a half day of attendance. If you have to leave work for family purposed they look down upon it. They tell you they you can rise up inside the company, but the more things in the warehouse you know how to do the more they keep you at the entry level tasks. Uses an impossible to meet rate system to keep track of production.
Fun job. But management is horrible
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 16, 2017
I have worked for bass pro shops for several year it not all fun and game like some people think. The moral at this store is at its lowest right due to ooor managers who reward bad behavior and do nothing for the one who give it their all. I have seen leads harass associates and when brought up to the manager we are told she is just having a bad day. But then have seen them fire good people for doing less than this lead is getting away with. Your told if you repeat what I told you I will deny it. Corporate needs to open their eyes at this store and see what is going on.
Pros
Good associates great front end manager.
Cons
To many to list. The biggest one is if the manager or lead of a certain department doesn't like you, you are screwed. Bad apparel, hunting and AGM need new managers who don't play favorites.
Was a friendly environment to work in.
FIshing Dept Associate (Former Employee) –  East Peoria, ILDecember 1, 2016
When I started working there it was a lot of fun. Great management, nice employees, and fun environment. Over time the stores general attitude went down hill. With management changes and the loss of great employees due to no advancement, the store no longer became such a nice place to work for. They would write people in on the schedule with no notification prior to the day before the shift.
Pros
nice discount
Cons
staff was divided
Catalog Call Center
Catalog Call Center (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 1, 2017
Work consists of taking calls from customers and working with the customer and their accounts to create, alter, track, or cancel orders; perform necessary identification for the accounts and update information as needed in a friendly, fast and efficient manner.
Pros
Excellent benefits for employees
Cons
Very repetitive and limited ability to care for the customer
Progressive company with a wonderful campus, great place to grow
Merchandise Buyer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 22, 2016
Great company to work for, many opportunities to grow and advance with the company.
Company is on an aggressive growth plan to increase retail stores now and in the future.
Loved the management and co-workers
Hardest part of the job was corporate growing pains
The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees / co-workers.
Pros
In-house cafeteria, gym and physitness classes
Cons
Internal infastructure
Good company, with good products and customer service
Camping Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJanuary 2, 2017
I enjoyed working for Bass Pro Shops. Good job for students, retirees, and part-timers looking for some side-income.

Wage scale is too low for people needing prime income to support a family, unless you are skilled, experienced, and/or specially educated for management positions.

My supervisors were excellent and fun to work for, very accommodating for my unique schedule needs, and always helpful to me so I could do my assigned duties well.
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CADecember 8, 2016
early mornings to late nights depending on shift
Stock, rotate and receive merchandise
management mostly has their stuff together. a very "by the book" establishment
Co-workers were compatible
Hardest part was management not always communicating and dealing with who wants what where and when.
Most enjoyable was the employee discount
Pros
physical job, keeps you in shape
High Turnover, Typical Retail
Shipping/Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CADecember 6, 2016
Management was friendly and courteous but sometimes very stringent with certain protocol. Great team building environment. Promotion and lateral movement within company is very positive. Sometimes management was detached from workers experience and neglected input from low level employees.
Pros
Good Team Environment
Cons
Low Pay, Terrible Benefits
Fun, customer oriented workplace
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYNovember 3, 2016
Strive to meet STAR(Sell, Thank/Acknowledge all customers, Remain product knowledgeable) qualities. Worked well with all associates and managers. Took pride in knowing the products in the department in order to meet customer needs. Bass Pro strives for the best customer experience. I feel that should be the same goal for any customer based place and it was one of the aspects that really appealed to me in this company.
Pros
Customer satisfaction incentives, Events for employees, Events for customers and families.
Cons
Mostly part-time positions
Great place for the outdoorsman
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 15, 2016
Great place to work and interact with people who have a love for the outdoors. Great selection of equipment, which I was responsible for taking care of the daily inventory of the fishing department and keeping track of the empty pegs. The most enjoyable part of my job was the good people I got a chance to work with. The hardest part was being short handed when it was extremely busy.
Fast paced and fun
Fishing lead (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 17, 2017
I was involved with cycle counts in the am pricing the merchandise then it was all customer service . I learned fishing boating techniques from professionals how to run a large fishing department. The culture was diverse . The hardest part of the job was holidays and the prep that goes into them . I loved the environment the area it was great .
fun place to work.
Promotional Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 10, 2017
Awesome atmosphere. People are very nice when they come in to shop. A team environment. Interesting place to walk around and see. Hardest part of working was the walking all day. Most enjoyable part was taking novelty photos of customers.
Pros
meeting new and different people. employee discounts
Cons
no benefits for part-time
Backwards Policies and Bad Management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 11, 2016
In a retail store there are some policies that are common sense and some that are a little company based. In a job where facial piercings are allowed, you would think hair colored would be allowed as well, right? The managers don't really pay attention to anyone other than themselves and their departments even while they're the current Manager On Duty or mod. The customers are great for the exception of a few. It's really busy on a daily basis.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Managerment and policies
Great Seasonal Job
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 11, 2017
Great job, just don't fall for it when they ask if you want to go home early because there is not enough work for all the people that day. they will see that as laziness and not as someone that has another job and wouldn't mind a little down time between jobs.
Pros
Generally fast paced.
Cons
They trap you by "offering" time off.
Good company to work for
Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MAFebruary 1, 2017
After working for Bass Pro Shops for 2 1/2 years as a Camping associate (2 years) and Receiving Lead for 6 months I feel it was a good company to work for. There were good people to work for and around. Plenty of room for advancement and always plenty of of work to do.
Pros
room for advancement, always work to do
Great place to have fun enjoy some bowling with great food
Cook (Former Employee) –  Destin, FL & Colorado Springs, COOctober 7, 2016
I worked in the kitchen as a cook. We cooked some amazing food, nachos, burgers, steak, pizza, fried foods such as fish, fries, alligator and many more. We are a bowling alley with a full bar and full restaurant. All my co-workers are amazing to work with and this job defiantly tested your limits of how fast you can work when we got slammed. I love to cook so I enjoyed making food for the customers.
Pros
Awesome work place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bass Pro Shops. Our community is ready to answer.