Bassett Furniture Employee Reviews

Bassett Furniture in California
Designer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 12, 2013
I didn't see any Review from California . so here mine I worked for this company for three months . the first month did 15,000 sec month did 25,000 got written up due to not writing 40k on the sec. Month the 3rd Month I Sold 32,000 I knew I wasn't going to get to the 40k so I Quit .I heard there was a Sales person there for Five Years and lost his job for not making the quota in three straight Months. The presser there very high I can see why if eight or more Sales person known as Design Consultants trying to Sale 40k per a Month. if you don't it comes out of the 1500 dollar draw they give you per the Month ,you have to pay back the Draw and you only make 4% comm. on your Sales .and the Designing Consultants there are very jug mental the way you look ,talk , take care of Guest ,eat ,and they think they know best about every thing. the General Manger even hides behind Furniture to listen to there Designing Consultant .I found this odd ,and would always ask him to join me and the Guest special if my Guest saw him. other then that it was a nice place to work.
Great co-workers and fun job!
Design consultant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa,okDecember 20, 2014
Over all Bassett is a good place to work. I love assisting clients finding that perfect look. My co-workers are very supportive. I have learned a lot about sales and customer retention. Management is well intentioned. The management does try to be very supportive. The problem is with customer complaints not being resolved in a timely manner. This results in customers you have worked hard for not returning to purchase. The benefits are not very good either. They offer health care, however most employees don't have it due to the high cost. You get payed vacation after a year but it's only a week and is not based on your sales average. There are no sick days or personal days. The hardest part of the job is the long hours. Your private life will take a beating. I do really enjoy my job most days and I would recommend it as a good place to work.
Pros
being able to create beautiful designs for clients
Cons
long hours and lack of benefits
Fired for Expressing Opinion.....and not being the right "fit".
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Westport StoreFebruary 10, 2014
I highly enjoyed my job.....the clients, the other consultants and the manager at the Westport store but, when I complained about the store not being ever cleaned in the 4 weeks during our soft opening - I was let go.....

A typical week to work for this company entails both days on the floor and days off - on client appointments.....just to make a $50K.

And don't ask for the sales tools you need - cause no one knows. It was embarrassing......and I was the top in sales....my clients were important to me and more loyal to me than the district management group to the consultants. Makes me think that perhaps they would prefer mediocre sales results per consultant so, they don't have to pay out more to the better performers.
Pros
good concept, furniture made in the u.s.
Cons
performers are expendable.
Fast paced ,productive and fun place to work at.
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJFebruary 23, 2015
A typical day at my job usually consists of first me coming in and doing the daily reports and counting the drawer. Throughout the day I basically handle customer issues via telephone, email and face to face. I also handle any problems that the designers have. For example, we use a system called Storis that keeps all our customer accounts with their information and orders and they sometimes have trouble figuring things out and I also take the payments. There isn't really a hard part to my job. I might've had a hard time in the beginning when I first started because I was still learning store policies so sometimes I would have a difficult time deciding what I should tell the customer. For the most part I enjoy most of my days at work because everything else is fairly easy.
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hoover, AlJune 10, 2014
I love this job, the people are great and the job has a serious money making potential. Although Bassett is new to Birmingham it seems like it's taking some time to grow. A person can sale the product with confidence knowing that the products are well made. The only problem I have with working there are the mandatory weekends and holidays. I didn't realize I had signed up for that. Thought that they would rotate and they do not. I've been there since January and was told we get a weekend off every 3 months. I still haven't been able to take it. That's truly the only part of this job that makes me unhappy.
Pros
good people, money, benefits
Cons
high preasure put on sales people, no weekends or holidays
The leading furniture retailer in America
design associate (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAMay 23, 2015
Bassett Furniture Direct, Tukwila, WA is a franchise store. This owner aggressively advertises and is one of the most knowledgeable
retailers in America. They genuinely care about their staff. Unfortunately for me, part time is not an option and I need part time.
The furniture is well priced and most definitely represents current trends in style and color. They are partnered with HGTV. The
person applying for a position with Bassett needs to have strong selling skills and the ability to communicate with many personality types. A working knowledge of fabrics and current home furnishing trends is very beneficial but not essential. Bassett has an ongoing training program that will teach you product knowledge.
If you love beautiful homes you will love working for Bassett.
Pros
Beautiful environment
Cons
Work all weekends, Saturday and Sunday
Friendly work environment
District Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex, MdDecember 29, 2014
Overall, Bassett is a good company with which to work. I have enjoyed my time with them and have learned many aspects of customer service and the furniture business. I love the fact that I can help people to resolve their issues. I enjoy the computer work, as far as the ordering of parts, service reports and technician reports. The hardest part of the job is when a customer has a higher expectation than we can provide and we are unable to satisfy. The most enjoyable part is resolving issues to best ability and satisfaction for both the customer and the company.
Pros
flexibility in working hours, if needed for weather.
Cons
the drive is 85 miles one way and can be, at minimum, an hour and half long, most days more.
Wonderful store manager, engaging co-workers, fantastic clients
CERTIFIED DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 20, 2014
A typical day was direct sales of home furnishings, which resulted in in-home consultations. I loved working directly with the clients and providing great solutions for their lifestyles. My in-store manager was very inspiring and appreciated my drive for success. Although competitive, my co-workers were supportive in a team environment and we all supported each others growth and needs. The hardest part was down time when there was not traffic coming through. The most enjoyable was going to clients homes and working with them on makeovers and the final reveal of my solution for them.
Pros
great online training program resulting in happy customers
Cons
they are not a sustainable company in the showrooms as they are the factory.
Unstructured management, some training, great co-workers
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNAugust 24, 2015
Bassett Furniture was a privately run company and was set up as a local "mom and pop" store. Some advertising via billboards, radio, and local and national promotional television ads. Not into social media options to promote business. Business never really decreased or increased. Staff made a marginal income but the over all relationships were good between design consultants. Not a lot of materials and tools to assist in promoting a well run operation. The most difficult part of the job was I believe the location and lack of promotional ads. The best part was being able to do presentations to your clients and have the encouragement and support of the design team.
Pros
Cohesive design team
Cons
Loaded wooden legs onto a conveyor according to order and color.
Line loader (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCNovember 18, 2014
I'd work 10 hours a day, with a 30 minute lunch break and 2 fifteen minute breaks as well. My job consisted of loading wooden legs onto a moving conveyor line, by order and color, and it proceeded to a spray booth. I was in charge of keeping orders together and keeping the line moving efficiently. I improved my communication skills, my time management ability, and exceeded other in my leadership capabilities. I loved my coworkers and regularly keep in contact with them. The job was smooth unless a order got messed up or a leg was missed.
Pros
compensation for work, a good atmosphere, ability to move in rank.
Cons
not what i wanted to do the rest of my life.

Want to know more about Bassett Furniture?

Ask a question
Not Worth It
Desinger / Sales (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 3, 2012
Bassett Furniture is a great product. The design side of it all is fun and it is great to see a client's room come together. The sales side and co-worker attitudes leave a lot to be desired...The general manager has no backbone and will return merchandise no matter what - leaving you commissionless. The lead designer is stuck-up and will only help those who are her best buds - quick to split YOUR sales but not hers. Neither make for a comfortable work environment. Only days off are through the week and weekends / holidays are difficult to take off even when requested months in advance.
Pros
the product
Cons
co-workers, pay, management
internship
Information Technology Internship (Current Employee) –  Bassett, VAMay 19, 2014
I balanced working for Bassett Furniture while going to Patrick Henry Community College. My typical full day at Bassett started at 8:00 am. I usually ran through my list of things that I made the day before that had to be accomplished that day. I checked all emails for tickets that I would have to troubleshoot, then I would start troubleshooting computers and repairing them. One of the daily routines was setting up computers. While I was there, Bassett was opening new stores. I would setup the new computers for each department. My over all experience at Bassett was good. I was able to hit the ground running and enjoyed the people I worked with.
Pros
really great place to work.
Cons
only part time internship
Not recommended.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 4, 2014
Worked for this company (Irvine, CA) for about a month.

At first, it was okay until everything unraveled. The sales consultants would negatively profile all customers, and would talk negatively about their customers behind their back and literally laugh at the comments being made.

Management was the same way. Management would use strong, negative language, and would make negative gestures behind customers' backs, even if the customer was nice or irate.

Very unprofessional and unethical. Not recommended to work here. This company "boasts" about having team spirit and quality customer service, yet do not represent it at all. Very negative, and a waste of my time. Save your time.
Pros
good schedule. that's it.
Cons
management, customer profiling
It's up to you
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  VAJune 6, 2014
Most enjoyable part of the job: The Clients and the Products

Worse Part: "laid off because of a over-hire" (leaves you feeling used) I have nothing to show for the amount of time and attention I put into my clients. My clients were given to elder Sales Consultants as I was let go after only a few weeks. I'm talented but there was literally nothing I could do to remain apart of the team . I was promised they would coach me into commission based sales and i would be fine.They didn't even let me see if I could make my draw.
Huge turn over rates.
Friendly co workers. But no time to build customer relationships..Sales, Sales
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hoover, AL.July 25, 2014
Coming onboard was interesting, but a bit pressured. Although, the training was very thorough regarding the history of Bassett. any other training was lacking and feedback not continuous.Sales expectations UNREALISTIC in this market and economy especially in a new store. New store, new area, new employees, new management without a full understanding of how to build a customer base in a new and very different demographic. Store has potential...Too much to say, but it was not an all bad experience because everyone was super friendly. But that did not help to build my career there.
Pros
super friendly staff
Cons
unrealistic sales expectations
very little demand for their furniture
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Gulfport MSJune 30, 2013
most days were very slow, draw against commission, so slow is bad, great place to learn some basic decorating tips that you can share with friends and family, management not interested in training new people, co workers a mixed bag, some nice, some not, hardest part of job is giving away/splitting leads with older designers, (that's how they keep their jobs long term) most enjoyable part meeting some nice clients
Pros
learning basic decorating tips
Cons
short term job formula for failure
PRODUCTIVE COMPANY. HAD PLENY OF FLEXIBILITY WITH ACCESSORIES
DIRECTOR OF VISUAL MERCANDISING / ACCESSORY BUYER (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 1, 2015
I WAS RECRUITED BY A HEADHUNTER FOR THIS POSITION WHILE EMPLOYED WITH LOUIS SHANKS IN HOUSTON, TX. I RELOCATED TO BALTIMORE, MD TO OPEN NEW STORE AND TO RE-MERCHANDISE TWO EXISTING STORES. SEVERAL CHANGES IN MANAGEMENT WERE UNPRODUCTIVE, ECONOMY AND MISMANAGEMENT RESULTED IN THE CLOSURE OF TWO LOCATIONS, THE SALE OF THE THIRD LOCATION AND MY UNEMPLOYMENT.
Pros
PURCHASED ACCESSSORIES FOR THREE LOCATIONS AT HIGH POINT FUNRITURE MARKET
Cons
FRANCHISEE COLSED TWO LOCATIONS AND THRID PURCHASED BY COROPRATE
Unrealistic sales quotas
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 30, 2012
Being it's located inside Huck Finn's, customers can purchase an entire livingroom set for the price of a Bassett sofa. I enjoyed working with my co-workers,but reaching sales goals are extremely difficult. Plus,if you do actually reach the minimum sales goal, the total salary is very low. Considering the effort and time that you would have put towards that goal. NOT WORTH IT!
Pros
co-workers, brand pride
Cons
store location
Bassett provided a creative, energetic, team environment, centered around the customers, and creating exceptional design.
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 15, 2014
I really enjoyed learning about the retail side of design. Merchandising, and setting the floor took most my day everyday, and it was something a thoroughly enjoyed. I also enjoyed working with commercial clients, and creating custom designed furniture with our clients. My position also allowed me the chance to accessorize clients house on the furniture delivery day, and up sell lamps, artwork, etc. when they are able to visualize the completed space.
Great place to work, good team work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCSeptember 6, 2013
Made sure that the designers were assigned customers as they walked in the door. Paged them over the intercom to let them know who up for a customer. Learned how to do the up board in Storis, learned about different types of furniture. Management was great, all of my co workers got along great with each other. Always willing to help when needed. I enjoyed working with all the customers that shopped there!
Pros
great work environment
Cons
temp assignment