Bassett Furniture Employee Reviews

Poor communication & management
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 2, 2017
No training available, but plenty of discipline when business does not run absolutely prefect. No communication between staff and managers, but lots of finger pointing and blaming. Staff are expected to do errands and other duties that are not part of their job description without compensation.
Pros
excellent customer service for customer who make large purchases
Cons
excellent customer service for customers who make large purchases
A Large Furniture Factory
Hand Sander (Former Employee) –  Bassett, VANovember 21, 2017
A furniture factory that made home furniture such as tables. Very large two story building with different departments to which each had a hand in preparing the finish product including packing and shipping it.
Pros
5 days work week
Cons
Hot during summer months
Zero work/life balance
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 16, 2017
The staff and clients are wonderful to work with. You do have a lot of creative freedom with your work. Coworkers are helpful and clients genuinely appreciate your services. However, management handles customers staff and customers poorly and there is no work/life balance. If you have an event to attend on a weekend or sale day, you will be denied no exceptions. The recent push towards excessive amounts of paperwork to justify your sales figures will require you to work late often because you will not have time between client appointments and projects to make the amount of cold calls they require weekly. They do not accurately advertise the amount of hours you will truly need to work to make your sales goals. This is not a 40 hour a week job. Expect to work on your days off if you want a commission check.
Pros
Decent benefits, employee discount after six months
Cons
Required to work every holiday, weekend, and sale day
Bassett
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLOctober 18, 2017
this was a franchise and the owner of the franchise was a decent person. If I did not have to relocate due to family i would have stayed and I would have been welcomed.
Pros
great living
Cons
Great place to work and advance
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, VAOctober 16, 2017
Competitive job that was not hard and the pace can be adjusted to meet requirements. I learned to work as a team to make the products, and keep the flow of work balanced.
Fun and exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Green Brook, NJOctober 12, 2017
Great place to develop your interpersonal skill. A typical work day is a balance between customer interaction to customers service. Management is fair and listens to needs of employees. Great place to work, environment is relaxed and friendly.
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
Commissions only
Straightforward Commission Sales
Design Consultant/Sales (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 27, 2017
The pay plan is easy to understand and very straightforward, probably the most fair plan available in the local industry. The hours are long and you are encouraged to work on your off days. The manager is difficult to work with for employees and customers. With the exception of the issues caused by the manager, the work environment is pleasant.
"Family Run" by a Step Parent
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 24, 2017
-Only work about 35 hours a week, but every weekend
(and if you want a weekend off, you will feel guilty and loose great amount of money)
-Busy location more commission (easier paycheck)
but the company fails their employees
by not listening. HR does not care what is going on in the store locations.
This Location is getting better but was once a circus. There is new mgnt so we will see. The upper management may be the problem.
Pros
only work about 35 hours a week, busy location more commission
Cons
Bad HR, work every weekend, not a caring company
Fun workplace for many
SAFETY ENVIRONMENTAL DIR (Former Employee) –  Dublin, GASeptember 22, 2017
I loved Bassett Furniture, it was like one big happy family, always busy so the days would fly by. I learned so many different skills there, and was very sad when they closed the plant in Dublin
Fun and Exciting
Production Clerk (Warehouse) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 13, 2017
Very fast pace environment. I learned about safety ordering inventory, loading and unloading. Management always handled their job and position professionally. They have equal opportunity for advancements. The hardest part of the job is going home for the day. The most enjoyable part of the day is pleasing our customers and seeing their smiles on their faces when they receive their items in perfect condition.
Pros
rewards for your accomplishments
Cons
N/a
productive workplace
DELIVERY DRIVER/WAREHOUSE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LASeptember 11, 2017
I would pull customer orders for everyday deliveries an assemble furniture . I would help managers arrange furniture on display floors . load an unload trucks
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Job not recommended
Designer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYAugust 24, 2017
As an Interior Designer for many years, I thought Bassett Furniture would offer me an opportunity to increase my business, increase my clientele, utilize my strengths and work with a good team f people.
I was sadly mistaken. Existing sales staff stole my sales and manager allowed it. The existing sales staff were set in their schedules and I was expected to work around their desires schedules. manager had no control over his staff. His sales staff ran his showroom.
It was a very stressful place to work. The most exciting thing to look forward to was my departure date!
I worked hard
Driver (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 23, 2017
A lot of carrying heavy and expensive furniture for very rich people, who did not like the poors being in their home.
They did not give me a raise after working their 18 months.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
long days, very little support from office.
A Good Company to work for, bad management at this location
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAAugust 9, 2017
Bassett is a great company to work for with opportunity to make a lot of money if you're good at sales, however the Mall of GA location has a lot of issues. It is an extremely catty environment where the management plays favorites, The current manager actually adds to the catty behavior and kind of thrives in it. The hours are horrible as well, but that can be expected from any retail location. It's a decent job, all things considered, but the stress of having to sell a certain amount every month isn't for the faint of heart and that in combination with the catty behavior of everyone involved and no help from management is why I'm trying to find a new job.
Pros
Ability to potentially make a lot
Cons
Stressful, catty behavior
Great co workers, excellent benefits given to part time employees
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CTAugust 1, 2017
There really is not a typical day at work. Everyday is different aside from the daily financial balancing. I have learned new computer systems and how to handle/deal with irate customers. There is generally one manager to a store and tends to be a bit overwhelming for them which is when I would step in to assist. The workplace culture really tries to embrace the customer as well as high expectations of the product they produce. The hardest part of the job for me would be realizing that you cannot always make some customers happy, no matter what you do. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a seasoned team and knowing that I have made a customers bad situation turn into a position one.
Pros
co workers, atmosphere, benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Nice place to work
Gerber cutter operator and hand cutter (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCJuly 25, 2017
No points, very steady job,competitive salary, the only thing that not a lot of hours, and they are off a week on July, but they work thru December, the supervisor is very flexible. Nice place to work if you don't mind not getting 40hrs a week
Cons
Not a lot of hours, working thru December
Bad chain of command
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 25, 2017
There's not a good work to life balance. Management is horrible. As a customer care specialist, things get pushed on you at the very last minute. All that glitters ain't gold.
Good work environment
Assistant Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 25, 2017
Great place to work with friendly owner. I enjoyed the time spent as well as the experience that I gained form working at Bassett. I would recommend this organization to anyone.
Stressful as a commission based pay structure and the weekend hours are bad. Also customer loyalty is not there.
Interior Designer/sales (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 24, 2017
Work is either very slow with only 4 or 5 customers coming in all day or is faster paced if we have customers. It takes alot of time to work with people who are interested in home furnishings and often you are with them for 3 hours or more. Many people take 2 or 3 visits to make up their minds about furniture.

The hardest part is that people are not loyal and although they will come back and get alot of information and design ideas from us, they will go and buy the product at a more inexpensive place, or not at all. Often we never hear from the customer again.

We have quotas we must make and the pressure is hard. In a typical month it is up to the last 3 days before you know if you will make your goal or not.
Pros
Pros are that you can do well with the commission structure, they pay more % if you sell more
Cons
You work every weekend, no exceptions. Also all holidays except Christmas day and Thanksgiving and Easter.
Solid Company
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 14, 2017
Great company to work for. Designer position is strictly commission and if your sales are healthy so is your wallet. Can be slow at times, but that's retail. Real solid company to work for.
Pros
4 day work weeks with performance maintain, flexible schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bassett Furniture. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9