Bassett Healthcare Employee Reviews in United States

Do not volunteer here, especially in the ER.
Patient Services Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJune 28, 2016
I was a patient services volunteer in the ER and I found it to be a pretty mediocre experience. I was basically assigned to the ER with no clear idea of what to do or what my responsibilities were. I Had to ask nurses and techs what needed to be done. Some of them snapped at me and were very condescending. It took a few weeks to finally find out what needed to be done. I can't speak for other volunteering positions, but I wouldn't recommend volunteering in the ER. It's too disorganized and hectic.
Beware harrassment by security
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  CooperstownMay 1, 2016
I worked there for 3 years as a pca I loved working with the patients, but management turned a blind eye to safety concerns. you get parking tickets if you park in the wrong lot! Security will take care of them for you if you summit, even the head of security is in on this. I filed complaints and was terminated as a boat rocker.
Pros
Cons
Parking, security lack of concern for fellow employees
Cult type atmosphere
Security officer 1 (Former Employee) –  Little Falls and Herkimer Health CenterApril 16, 2016
Complete Cult and tyranny type atmosphere. If there are meetings or training scheduled on your day off you're basically threatened with termination if you don't show up even though your family is more important than your job. The director of Public Safety does not know anything about real security. I was hired to do security and all they worried about is whether or not I was available to push a wheelchair that has nothing to do with security. Anytime I was to approach people for violations of any rules regulations or law I was told that's not important. Were you able to hear the loud speaker to see if they needed you to push your wheelchair? Completely bizarre so bizarre that the ringer on my phone for Bassett was the Twilight Zone Theme. If you have any security or law enforcement background or training do not go work here they don't want you to do real security they want you to be a doormat to everyone.
Pros
Can't think of any all they did was raise my blood pressure with your foolish rules and regulations
Cons
They raise my blood pressure
Great working environment
Operating Room Scrub Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYApril 5, 2016
Overall it's a great working environment, with several opportunities for advancement. The greatest part of the job is being able to work side by side with such knowledgeable surgeons, who are extremely helpful and encouraging.
Worst place I have ever worked at, DO NOT WORK HERE.
Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMarch 31, 2016
Extremely stressful job with little reward no matter what you do here. Under appreciated no matter how hard you work, always made to do things that break the companies own policies if the person is a higher up, save yourself the trouble of applying and don't bother. Terrible place to work.
Pros
Great co-workers on team
Cons
Terrible management corruption and abuse of power, unsafe work conditions and insane amounts of stress.
"My Favorite Day of the Week"
Patient Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYFebruary 26, 2016
I walk off the shuttle into the hospital and am greeted instantly by a familiar face. I head down to the elevators up to the penthouse suite number 5 it 0655. I head to my left onto the Special Care Unit where my co-workers are dancing in the hallway because I've come to play for the day. I then grab report from my previous shift, I thank them for their blood sweat and tears used to keep our patients happy and healthy. I then head off to greet my patients and introduce myself. I walk into to greet my first patient with a smile on my face I ask them for their goals of the day, their concerns, they'd like addressed, and how they are managing their pain. As I leave the room with the intention of continuing on the charge nurse walks around the corner, "Can you grab a STAT EKG in the room across the hall?" I head over introduce myself to the patient and ask if they have ever had an EKG before. My morning continues on from there introducing myself to my patients one at a time between emergencies. Some days are smoother than others and I accomplish all of my patients wants needs concerns, and goals. That is my favorite day. Then there are days when its 1820 and I think I will start on the agenda for the next shift, then I hear that alarm and my heart stops I run to the nurses station and ask which room. I have no idea what happened with that patient they just arrived. Thank God the roommate got downgraded. I grab the crash cart and run it to the room. I clear the room of all other objects. Then wait outside as a runner. As my team takes over the situation I tend to my  more... patients. Reassuring them that everything is fine. Its now 2000 and I have given report and head to the locker room. I change my shoes that don't quite fit the same, and wash my hands that feel so dry from all the soap and sanitizer used all day. Head down to the elevator with my friends, I hate when I walk off with a healthy friend that wants to take the stairs. We jump on the shuttle and silence.  less
love my coworkers
Ambulatory Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYFebruary 25, 2016
I love the people I work with and the clinic as of right now. There is always change and not a lot of consistency. I think the hardest part of the job is the amount of sitting. But I love the location in downtown and the longer lunch.
Good place
OR Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Herkimer, NYFebruary 2, 2016
This is a good place to work. The people are friendly and there are many places to move to within the company. The doctors are great to work with and the support staff is top notch. Great place to work and live.
There is a reason they have 200 openings
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYAugust 31, 2015
There is a reason that, at any given time they have 200 or more openings. While they were once considered stellar, they have devolved into an organization that is ridiculously heavy with management, is full of rampant back stabbing, pays a fraction of what Utica hospitals pay, and works their staff to the bone. Sure, the building is beautiful, and it is quite an impressive place until you work there. Patients spending literally days in the ER. Nurses not fit to work. Staff sleeping on the job. Ignored complaints and things that should have been reported to the state that were ignored. Staff favored by administration got away with murder. Those less favored were frequently terminated. There is a reason that not only is there hundreds of openings, but that the turnover is atrocious. Bosses spend more time sticking it to their employees than doing their jobs. They promote idiots. I had a manager who actually spelled nursing and Cooperstown incorrectly on her e mail signature. She was in charge of several units. If you can't even spell nursing, perhaps you're in the wrong profession. They are non union, so you have 0 protection if anything goes wrong, and when it does they are only out to protect themselves (like any business). Employee parking is atrocious. They now shuttle everyone in. The cafeteria, which was good years ago, serves food that at times is unidentifiable. I was impressed with the place when I first started. By the time I left I scratched my head in amazement that they haven't been shut down. The sheer number of openings, the turnover, $5k nursing sign on  more... bonuses, $1500 bonuses to existing staff who get 'family and friends' to take a job there, and their unending advertising for new employees should serve as some serious red flags. I don't recommend anyone be treated there, much less work there. Sounds harsh perhaps, but sometimes reality is ugly.  less
Pros
Beautiful area to work in. Some employees still care.
Cons
See below.
Busy
Administrative Assistant- Clinical (Current Employee) –  Herkimer, NYJune 25, 2015
Very busy work place. Not very competitive with pay. Working with patients all day and helping with any medical issues they may have.
a place of chaos, over worked, low pay.
food service (Former Employee) –  cooperstownMay 4, 2015
A typical day is very chaotic in the kitchen the managers on all the shifts are inexperienced for the positions. I learned to wash dishes. management is not fair to all employees. Co-workers are mostly long time workers without a personal life and treat the position as their baby. Some co-workers are rude to new workers having an unsecured mindset thinking you will take their jobs. Lots of gossip behind your back. The hard part of the job is dealing with the management's lack of food service experience. I enjoyed working with the patients.
Cons
work later than
unfortunate bureaucracy
rph (Former Employee) –  pharmacyApril 14, 2015
There is a great deal of opportunity for growth, but too many resistant to change.

The culture is also very much a caste system & if you're at the top you're life is great, but if you're not you are made to feel less-than.

There are a lot of great people who work here, but there are many that aren't. It's unfortunate that the bad apples are kept w/o any reprimand for their poor attitudes/actions and the positive people are forced to put-up-with them.

The pay isn't competitive either, especially if you're not a professional.
Pros
this is a great place to get experience & jet once you've got what you need
Cons
you have to endure a lot
Decent place to work
HIM Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYApril 5, 2015
Overall a good place to work. I got along with my co-workers and my supervisors very well. The job in Health Information Management was pretty straight forward. You scan patient information and make sure the paperwork is put into the correct patient chart.
Pros
Health insurance, 10% discount in the cafeteria for lunch and/or breakfast
Cons
Don't always recieve your merrit raise after evaluation
I do not wish to submit a review of this company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMarch 9, 2015
This company does not take care of its employees. It can cost you your entire paycheck to have benefits and use the facility if you are sick.
Don't work there if you smile alot and enjoy your work!
Aide (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown nyFebruary 2, 2015
worked there almost 3 years If you are NOT management or security expect to be belittled harassed and outright told to" NOT BE SO HAPPY people think you are flirting " even when you do a great job you need to be VERY careful who you talk to Watch out for physical{ ahem} harassment!
Pros
helping people
Cons
harrassment ~ mental & emotional
HR Recruiter
HR Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYFebruary 2, 2015
I loved my job. In fact I felt I should pay them. We worked as a team changing lives. I always came to work early and stayed late. I learned how careers changed the employee and many employees were promoted from their positions to better paying positions.

My co-workers were the best. Hard working people that cared about the responsibility that this position held. We worked with management with problem employees, help write performance evaluations and attend staff meeting. I wrote job descriptions, policies and procedures.

The hardest part of my position was dealing with problem employees that were terminated from their positions. And the most enjoyable part of my position was placing the appropriate person with the correct position.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
parking was always a problem and continues to be.
n/a
AMBULATORY OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New YorkOctober 9, 2014
it was okay at first and i loved it and then i realized there was favoritism.
working with patients was great
Clinical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Sherburne, NYOctober 2, 2014
Working with patients and being part of their care was best. Management needs improvement.
Productive place to work
Patient Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJuly 1, 2014
On a typical day we would see 200+ patients, I learned patience and always have a smile on your face no matter how your day is or was. The hardest part of my job their was not being able to help a patient when I tried or wanted to. The most enjoyable thing was having them want to come to me every time they came for appt.
Micro Management
Radiation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown & Oneonta, NYJune 1, 2014
Heavily regimented Who Does What, self-starters and free thinkers should steer clear of this Hospital System. Little to no support from anyone but the employees you work with every day. Very hostile and demeaning atmosphere. Work here only if you desperately need a job or can work in a military-like set of rules.
Pros
a paid job, lots of pto
Cons
hostile atmosphere, no breakroom, mismanagement

2.9