Bassett Medical Center Employee Reviews

As long as you are willing to drink "corporate Kool-Aid" you'll do well here
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYFebruary 11, 2017
Bassett claims to be a hospital focused on patient care,unfortunately it has developed into Corporate America with an emphasis on reaping the almighty dollar. No free thinkers need apply! You must be willing to do more with less, be expected to work short staffed at most times with a task list no human could ever accomplish in a normal work day.
Good people are employed here for lack of employment opportunities in this rural area, but not a happy place to work. Heavy on managers who have never performed your job,with not enough Indians to do the actual work!
Salary below average for area.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Heavy on management, short staffing, little attention to patients as people.
Offers good employment opportunities with advance potential
Director, Revenue Cycle & Contracts (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYDecember 1, 2016
Overall a good place to work but due to financial limitations, annual raises were not given which became an issue for several departments and staff. Bassett has a lot of longevity and well known in the area for being one of the largest employers. Bassett offers good benefits and a nice environment to work in.
Busy lab
Lab Support Tech (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYDecember 9, 2016
Busy lab where many things needed to get done and where things could go wrong. There wasn't many benefits working at this place. It is a small rural hospital.
Great hospital, wonderful people
Radiation Oncology Manager (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJanuary 19, 2017
I would recommend Bassett Healthcare Network to anyone interested. The hospital and its staff are patient focused and provide the best possible care and attention.
overall not bad
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYApril 3, 2015
This is a nice place to work. We have high cash goals with very obsinate insurance companies who don't want to pay. This can make for very busy days. I am generally pushing to help reach goals and leaning on the payors.
Overall management does listen.
My coworkers are great

The hardest part of my job is dealing with very sick patients who, on top of their poor health, are being devestated some times by medical bills. It's heartbreaking.

I love the reward of fixing a problem claim. Especially when I know it makes such a diference for some patients
Pros
good insurance, good coworkers, understanding management
Cons
hard to advance, no raises
You want to learn?
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 8, 2015
Bassett is fantastic. I started out as a Pharmacy Technician and later achieved my Phlebotomy Certification. I have learned so much and walked away with a future. Could not ask for a better work environment and or a better group of coworkers.
Thank You to Everyone who had a hand in my future.
Pros
health insurance, benefits, advancement, gained skills, diversity
Busy place to work at. Never a dull moment.
Health Information Tech I (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYOctober 3, 2013
Bassett hospital is a non-profit organization. But, they believe that healthy work places promote healthy life styles. they are heavily involved in their community. Being a teaching hospital, the docs come and go, but they have docs that have come there and never left. Some should have retired years ago, but that says something for the institution too.
I liked my position and enjoyed my co-workers. It makes a difference when you work with great people.
Pros
Excellent Health Benefits.
Cons
The drive to work in the winters weren't fun sometimes.
Overall good benefits and salary
Lead Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 2, 2015
In recent years, too many unqualified individuals promoted to Management due to Political influence. Unfortunately this leads to deficits in the institution.
benefits
Cons
Politically motivated
Great schedule and insurance plan
Laboratory Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYAugust 7, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is the direct contact with the patients. I enjoy phlebotomy. My schedule is great. The insurance plan is great.
Pros
Excellent insurance plan
Cons
raises not given every year.
Retail Working
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Worcester, NYMarch 28, 2016
Retail work has reward in experience in customer service and working as a team with your coworkers. It can have little rewards or can be more rewarding. Varies from day to day
Pros
Experience
Cons
Low pay
decent place to work
Medical Technologist, Generalist (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJuly 29, 2014
Job security, if you do a decent job. Moderate management and work place practices. Overly concerned with any legal or practice standards. Many people have worked there 20+ years!
Pros
lots of overtime available
Cons
no fixed scheduling- you could be scheduled any day, but at least the shift is consistant
Poor work enviorment
PCA (Former Employee) –  cooperstown, ny 13326May 31, 2015
I worked there for 3 years< I depended on my coworkers and security for safety reasons, My co workers where nice to your face but the back biting and gossip was terrible. Security runs the place they do what they want and watch everyone, they have favorites;-) that they take care of parking tickets for and asssit. Others they pick on make up names and comments about. I had several issues with Security and I was written up while they facebook and check their dating profiles on their phones.
Pros
Cons
Parking and Seciurty
Department focused on patient care
Inpatient Materials Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYNovember 1, 2015
Typical work day is 12 hrs. learned to work in a team based environment. Co-workers were like family. The hardest part was a 4-12 hr. days in a row. The most enjoyable would be patient care
Pros
Patient care
Productive and learning experience with great staff and support
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 19, 2015
Wonderful teaching hospital with various specialties. Team work and great upper mangement support for all employees.
rural teaching hospital
RN -Birthing Center (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYApril 11, 2015
Teaching hospital that services a rural 9 county area.
Collaborative practice.
Not many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
small community
Management is ruining this hospital
Bachelor's-prepared Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  InpatientNovember 18, 2013
Management is THE MAJOR flaw of this hospital. Nursing is NOT supported at this institution and are paid SEVERAL dollars an hour LESS than EVERY OTHER healthcare organization in Central NY. Once management was "made aware" of this discrepancy (as if they didn't already know) they performed a "market adjustment", which gave most people about $ .50 to $1 an hour pay adjustment, which was basically a hurtful joke.

People who do their job well do not get recognition because it is expected that you do your job well. Yet, people who do not do their job, or are unreliable, are still employed regardless of the number of offenses. There is this whole "getting to yes" thing which basically gives patients, visitors and management license to walk all over the people in the trenches doing the hard work...basically if you don't take any and all nonsense that is thrown at you then you are not a team player and you are not good for the organization.

There is a lot of teamwork between the nurses and ancillary staff on my unit, however, this probably varies from unit to unit. Bassett is a "doctor's hospital", therefore doctors, no matter how wrong they are, get away with everything from being rude, creating a hostile work environment and even treating patients horribly.

The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for patients, but this is what makes working in the healthcare industry enjoyable, not working at Bassett.
laid back
Inpatient support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2013
A typical day was about 12 hours a day, it was not hard because there was always something to do, we had a great team manager, and my co workers were fun and knew what they were doing, the hardest part was not having home cooked meal, the most enjoyable i met a lot of people from different works of life and interesting background.
Pros
extended cafetaria hours
Horrible management leads to a horrible work environment.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMay 29, 2012
Very scary place to work. Management is always threatening with a, literally , "If you don't like it, then leave" mentality.
I work at Bassett Crisis Service in Cooperstown, NY.
Care Management Coordinator in the Crisis Center (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMay 7, 2014
I come into work and review the patients that presented to crisis during my off shift. I log all the patients seen into a computer data program and fax the information with our affiliated mental health agencies. Then I audit the Psychiatrist, Emergency Room Doctors, and RN's work to ensure that all documentation was done in complaince with state regulations. I then evaluate the needs of each crisis patient to determine what level of care they will need. I transfer them to other psychiatric, rehabilitation, or detox centers after securing a bed and doing the insurance pre-authorizations. I answer and document crisis calls for four counties. I also ensure patient saftey and satisfaction. I do follow up calls on all discharged patients to ensure saftey and answer any concerns they may have. I do patient performence improvment data collection and also the data collection for monthly and yearly statistics on the patients seen in crisis. I enjoy helping people identify their needs and helping facilitate help and agencies to meet their needs. I love working with all my co-workers we are very family oriented and work together well. The management has been slim to none at times. Lots of management changes. In six years I have had three different managers. The hardest part of the job is that due to lack of funding my job is ending and the enitre psychiatric department is closing.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
short breaks, lack of advacement
Very busy
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMarch 16, 2015
I found that BMC was a very professional place to work at. It was a busy but organized area. The hardest part was getting use to working directly with doctors and getting use to each of their needs and wants.
Pros
working directly with patients.
Cons
parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bassett Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Bassett Medical Center Reviews by Location