Bassett Medical Center Employee Reviews

Productive and learning experience with great staff and support
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 19, 2015
Wonderful teaching hospital with various specialties. Team work and great upper mangement support for all employees.
You want to learn?
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 8, 2015
Bassett is fantastic. I started out as a Pharmacy Technician and later achieved my Phlebotomy Certification. I have learned so much and walked away with a future. Could not ask for a better work environment and or a better group of coworkers.
Thank You to Everyone who had a hand in my future.
Pros
health insurance, benefits, advancement, gained skills, diversity
Overall good benefits and salary
Lead Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 2, 2015
In recent years, too many unqualified individuals promoted to Management due to Political influence. Unfortunately this leads to deficits in the institution.
benefits
Cons
Politically motivated
A wonderful learning environment.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJune 1, 2015
I enjoyed working at Bassett Hospital. It is a wonderful teaching hospital and a great source of knowledge to any nurse. Staff was great to work with.
Poor work enviorment
PCA (Former Employee) –  cooperstown, ny 13326May 31, 2015
I worked there for 3 years< I depended on my coworkers and security for safety reasons, My co workers where nice to your face but the back biting and gossip was terrible. Security runs the place they do what they want and watch everyone, they have favorites;-) that they take care of parking tickets for and asssit. Others they pick on make up names and comments about. I had several issues with Security and I was written up while they facebook and check their dating profiles on their phones.
Pros
Cons
Parking and Seciurty
rural teaching hospital
RN -Birthing Center (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYApril 11, 2015
Teaching hospital that services a rural 9 county area.
Collaborative practice.
Not many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
small community
overall not bad
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYApril 3, 2015
This is a nice place to work. We have high cash goals with very obsinate insurance companies who don't want to pay. This can make for very busy days. I am generally pushing to help reach goals and leaning on the payors.
Overall management does listen.
My coworkers are great

The hardest part of my job is dealing with very sick patients who, on top of their poor health, are being devestated some times by medical bills. It's heartbreaking.

I love the reward of fixing a problem claim. Especially when I know it makes such a diference for some patients
Pros
good insurance, good coworkers, understanding management
Cons
hard to advance, no raises
Very busy
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMarch 16, 2015
I found that BMC was a very professional place to work at. It was a busy but organized area. The hardest part was getting use to working directly with doctors and getting use to each of their needs and wants.
Pros
working directly with patients.
Cons
parking
Bassett was all about Money not employees
team leader (Former Employee) –  admissionsFebruary 24, 2015
Bassett needs some improvement on there employee relations and recognition. They were very disconnected with employees and there needs
Pros
close by
Cons
poor work environment
Great schedule and insurance plan
Laboratory Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYAugust 7, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is the direct contact with the patients. I enjoy phlebotomy. My schedule is great. The insurance plan is great.
Pros
excellent insurance plan
Cons
raises not given every year.
decent place to work
Medical Technologist, Generalist (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJuly 29, 2014
Job security, if you do a decent job. Moderate management and work place practices. Overly concerned with any legal or practice standards. Many people have worked there 20+ years!
Pros
lots of overtime available
Cons
no fixed scheduling- you could be scheduled any day, but at least the shift is consistant
Bassett is a leader in many aspects of Healthcare.
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJune 11, 2014
My co-workers are wonderful. Bassett has been a leader in many aspects of healthcare and it is a great place to work.
Questionable
Nursing Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMay 19, 2014
Never had so muchjob insecurity in my life. Parking system is ridiculous. Vey high turnover rate.
Pros
part timers get paid time off
Cons
very demanding. not many happy people lower on the totem pole
I work at Bassett Crisis Service in Cooperstown, NY.
Care Management Coordinator in the Crisis Center (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMay 7, 2014
I come into work and review the patients that presented to crisis during my off shift. I log all the patients seen into a computer data program and fax the information with our affiliated mental health agencies. Then I audit the Psychiatrist, Emergency Room Doctors, and RN's work to ensure that all documentation was done in complaince with state regulations. I then evaluate the needs of each crisis patient to determine what level of care they will need. I transfer them to other psychiatric, rehabilitation, or detox centers after securing a bed and doing the insurance pre-authorizations. I answer and document crisis calls for four counties. I also ensure patient saftey and satisfaction. I do follow up calls on all discharged patients to ensure saftey and answer any concerns they may have. I do patient performence improvment data collection and also the data collection for monthly and yearly statistics on the patients seen in crisis. I enjoy helping people identify their needs and helping facilitate help and agencies to meet their needs. I love working with all my co-workers we are very family oriented and work together well. The management has been slim to none at times. Lots of management changes. In six years I have had three different managers. The hardest part of the job is that due to lack of funding my job is ending and the enitre psychiatric department is closing.
Pros
close to home.
Cons
short breaks, lack of advacement
Management is ruining this hospital
Bachelor's-prepared Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  InpatientNovember 18, 2013
Management is THE MAJOR flaw of this hospital. Nursing is NOT supported at this institution and are paid SEVERAL dollars an hour LESS than EVERY OTHER healthcare organization in Central NY. Once management was "made aware" of this discrepancy (as if they didn't already know) they performed a "market adjustment", which gave most people about $ .50 to $1 an hour pay adjustment, which was basically a hurtful joke.

People who do their job well do not get recognition because it is expected that you do your job well. Yet, people who do not do their job, or are unreliable, are still employed regardless of the number of offenses. There is this whole "getting to yes" thing which basically gives patients, visitors and management license to walk all over the people in the trenches doing the hard work...basically if you don't take any and all nonsense that is thrown at you then you are not a team player and you are not good for the organization.

There is a lot of teamwork between the nurses and ancillary staff on my unit, however, this probably varies from unit to unit. Bassett is a "doctor's hospital", therefore doctors, no matter how wrong they are, get away with everything from being rude, creating a hostile work environment and even treating patients horribly.

The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for patients, but this is what makes working in the healthcare industry enjoyable, not working at Bassett.
Busy place to work at. Never a dull moment.
Health Information Tech I (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYOctober 3, 2013
Bassett hospital is a non-profit organization. But, they believe that healthy work places promote healthy life styles. they are heavily involved in their community. Being a teaching hospital, the docs come and go, but they have docs that have come there and never left. Some should have retired years ago, but that says something for the institution too.
I liked my position and enjoyed my co-workers. It makes a difference when you work with great people.
Pros
excellent health benefits.
Cons
the drive to work in the winters weren't fun sometimes.
great place to start working
lab tech (Former Employee) –  cooperstown, NYSeptember 1, 2013
Hospitals are always a great place to start, get ur feet wet but they do not pay very much
laid back
Inpatient support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2013
A typical day was about 12 hours a day, it was not hard because there was always something to do, we had a great team manager, and my co workers were fun and knew what they were doing, the hardest part was not having home cooked meal, the most enjoyable i met a lot of people from different works of life and interesting background.
Pros
extended cafetaria hours
Productive and interesting work place
Nursing Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYDecember 19, 2012
Go to work, get the job done, go home. Ive learened what goes on behind the scenes in a hospital.
poor working conditions
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 15, 2012
this i poor working conditions not enough tech to cover all areas
different standards for varies employees