Bassett Medical Center

Bassett Medical Center Employer Reviews

decent place to work
Medical Technologist, Generalist (Current Employee), Cooperstown, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: lots of overtime available
Cons: no fixed scheduling- you could be scheduled any day, but at least the shift is consistant
Job security, if you do a decent job. Moderate management and work place practices. Overly concerned with any legal or practice standards. Many people have worked there 20+ years!
Bassett is a leader in many aspects of Healthcare.
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee), Cooperstown, NYJune 11, 2014
My co-workers are wonderful. Bassett has been a leader in many aspects of healthcare and it is a great place to work.
Questionable
Nursing Unit Clerk (Current Employee), Cooperstown, NYMay 19, 2014
Pros: part timers get paid time off
Cons: very demanding. not many happy people lower on the totem pole
Never had so muchjob insecurity in my life. Parking system is ridiculous. Vey high turnover rate.
I work at Bassett Crisis Service in Cooperstown, NY.
Care Management Coordinator in the Crisis Center (Current Employee), Cooperstown, NYMay 7, 2014
Pros: close to home.
Cons: short breaks, lack of advacement
I come into work and review the patients that presented to crisis during my off shift. I log all the patients seen into a computer data program and fax the information with our affiliated mental health agencies. Then I audit the Psychiatrist, Emergency Room Doctors, and RN's work to ensure that all documentation was done in complaince with state regulations. – more... I then evaluate the needs of each crisis patient to determine what level of care they will need. I transfer them to other psychiatric, rehabilitation, or detox centers after securing a bed and doing the insurance pre-authorizations. I answer and document crisis calls for four counties. I also ensure patient saftey and satisfaction. I do follow up calls on all discharged patients to ensure saftey and answer any concerns they may have. I do patient performence improvment data collection and also the data collection for monthly and yearly statistics on the patients seen in crisis. I enjoy helping people identify their needs and helping facilitate help and agencies to meet their needs. I love working with all my co-workers we are very family oriented and work together well. The management has been slim to none at times. Lots of management changes. In six years I have had three different managers. The hardest part of the job is that due to lack of funding my job is ending and the enitre psychiatric department is closing. – less
Management is ruining this hospital
Bachelor's-prepared Registered Nurse (Current Employee), InpatientNovember 18, 2013
Management is THE MAJOR flaw of this hospital. Nursing is NOT supported at this institution and are paid SEVERAL dollars an hour LESS than EVERY OTHER healthcare organization in Central NY. Once management was "made aware" of this discrepancy (as if they didn't already know) they performed a "market adjustment", which gave most people about $ .50 to – more... $1 an hour pay adjustment, which was basically a hurtful joke.

People who do their job well do not get recognition because it is expected that you do your job well. Yet, people who do not do their job, or are unreliable, are still employed regardless of the number of offenses. There is this whole "getting to yes" thing which basically gives patients, visitors and management license to walk all over the people in the trenches doing the hard work...basically if you don't take any and all nonsense that is thrown at you then you are not a team player and you are not good for the organization.

There is a lot of teamwork between the nurses and ancillary staff on my unit, however, this probably varies from unit to unit. Bassett is a "doctor's hospital", therefore doctors, no matter how wrong they are, get away with everything from being rude, creating a hostile work environment and even treating patients horribly.

The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for patients, but this is what makes working in the healthcare industry enjoyable, not working at Bassett. – less
Busy place to work at. Never a dull moment.
Health Information Tech I (Former Employee), Cooperstown, NYOctober 3, 2013
Pros: excellent health benefits.
Cons: the drive to work in the winters weren't fun sometimes.
Bassett hospital is a non-profit organization. But, they believe that healthy work places promote healthy life styles. they are heavily involved in their community. Being a teaching hospital, the docs come and go, but they have docs that have come there and never left. Some should have retired years ago, but that says something for the institution too.
I – more... liked my position and enjoyed my co-workers. It makes a difference when you work with great people. – less
great place to start working
lab tech (Former Employee), cooperstown, NYSeptember 1, 2013
Hospitals are always a great place to start, get ur feet wet but they do not pay very much
laid back
Inpatient support (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: extended cafetaria hours
A typical day was about 12 hours a day, it was not hard because there was always something to do, we had a great team manager, and my co workers were fun and knew what they were doing, the hardest part was not having home cooked meal, the most enjoyable i met a lot of people from different works of life and interesting background.
Productive and interesting work place
Nursing Unit Clerk (Current Employee), Cooperstown, NYDecember 19, 2012
Go to work, get the job done, go home. Ive learened what goes on behind the scenes in a hospital.
poor working conditions
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Cooperstown, NYSeptember 15, 2012
this i poor working conditions not enough tech to cover all areas
different standards for varies employees
Horrible management leads to a horrible work environment.
Therapist (Former Employee), Cooperstown, NYMay 29, 2012
Very scary place to work. Management is always threatening with a, literally , "If you don't like it, then leave" mentality.