Bath & Body Works Employee Reviews

Found 2,602 reviews matching the search
BBW steals a little bit of your soul everyday that you work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 26, 2016
The pay is wonderful and incredibly competitive.
The have very high expectations for employees and have very little concern for your work life balance.
there are perks like free merchandise but a great discount.
The managers look at everything through rose colored glasses and when you are in good standing you are great, but if one little thing happens when you fall out of favor, you become the black sheep and they hold that over your head forever.
I would not recommend BBW to anyone!!!!
The companies culture is very flawed- do not plan to their ethics hotline -it is not anonymous!!!!!- If you do need to call anything into that phone line your will come for your head.
Working for BBW has made me hate retail
Pros
pay rates are good, free stuff occasionally, working with customers is fun
Cons
work life balance is atrocious, sales goals are unrealistic, company ethics are very flawed
Fun place to work but not to advance in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 27, 2016
I worked here for a long time and advanced from an associate to a temporary sales lead. The most enjoyable part of my job were my customers- I built connections with them and had my regulars that came in. Management always changed and people were in and out. They say that advancement in the company is important; however, I found advancement and promotion for anyone was difficult. The way of selling began to change and the company expected everyone to be robotic in their selling technique as they slowly transitioned into a "commission-base" job. Hours fluctuate. Sometimes at the beginning of working there, I would only get 12 hours a week.
Pros
Gratis, customers
Cons
Short breaks, part time employees treated poorly, take advantage of the "temp" positions
Retail Environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 8, 2016
The pay and benefits are fantastic. It is retail, so work life balance is hard as you must work almost every weekend. Learned a lot about business and taking care of my employees. Great management training and operations. Excellent customer service training to coach and lead the team to assisting the customer. Lots of great employee incentives.
Pros
Lots of employee incentives
Cons
Nights, weekends and long hours
Leader in fragrant body care
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Norridge, ILNovember 9, 2016
As part of Lbrands, working at BBW comes with a lot of perks. Great benefits, good compensation, and a great environment to work in. Upper management is very involved in business, and makes changes based on customer and employee feedback.
Has a heavy workload for a specialty store.
Pros
Very customer oriented culture
Cons
the higher volume store you go to, the less of work-life-balance you get
Very associate friendly work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCAugust 30, 2016
A very up beat and nurturing work environment where we fostered The Total Customer Experience from the moment our customer walked in the door all the way through the checkout experience. This company provided us with every tool needed to make our customers day as well as create a great work life balance for our team.
While traffic patterns were difficult to predict and control we focused on the positive and controlled our conversion consistently converting 60% of our customers.
What I loved the most was coaching my team and watching them grow on a daily basis. I also enjoyed recruiting and training new talent and helping my district fill there openings.
Pros
Benefits, Incentives
Amazing Place To Work For Part Time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rehoboth Beach, DESeptember 22, 2016
I absolutely love working here and I enjoy coming into work. The people I work with are family to me, the management are great and know how to manage but also how to have fun and treat you like a human being, and the customers for the most part are great. I love getting the free stuff every once in a while and the discount with the coupons you know about can do wonders. Even my boss's boss is great and our B&BW headquarters sent us handmade pumpkin shaped cookies to thank us for our hard work! You also learn how to talk to customers and it's fun once you understand how to. Only things I would warn about would be only getting few hours off season, the craziness of Black Friday and the holidays, staying until the wee hours of the morning to do floor sets (which I don't mind), and not much job advancement (though I did see a fellow employee move up to a management position when another manager left).
Pros
Great environment, amazing coworkers and management, $10/hr
Cons
Few hours off season, sometimes stressful, little job advancement
N/a
District Manager (Former Employee) –  NJ, NYOctober 31, 2016
Great customer base
Compensation good
No work life balance
Not much advancement to higher level positions
Culture change within company
Several management changes
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Hard work pays off with advancement. Very hard work
Co-Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 15, 2016
Bath and Body Works, (L Brands) is great at recognizing good work ethic and will encourage associates to continue to grow. They prefer to train and advance talent from within, giving opportunity to those that are willing to work for it. Management is encouraged to nurture and lead the associates, and will brainstorm with them on how their performance could improve vs what they were doing that is successful. The hours are difficult to work if you have a family, but that is the nature of retail. The compensation is getting better, they were changing it in the favor of the associate when I was leaving, however, they do ask a lot of their associates and management. Overall, it is a fun place to work that cultivates good sales and merchandising characteristics in it's workers. They are interested in your overall happiness, b/c if you're having fun on the sales floor, then it shows with your customers.
Pros
fun, opportunities to grow w/the company
Cons
retail hours, hard work
Ok job for part time workers
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDJuly 12, 2016
The company is great to its customers and great in its Philanthropic ties, but leaves much to be desired for a full time career. On each level of management, there is a lack of training. You are expected to do tasks that you were not taught to do without support from upper management. The turn over rate is outstanding because of the incessant write ups because of lack of support from upper levels of management.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No work life balance
Great starting pay, not very many hours
Part-Time Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 22, 2016
I got the job very easily, but was sort of misled on the details. She said at least 10 hours a week and more closer to the holidays, but im lucky to get one 3 hour shift in two weeks. Typical day- you walk around making shelves look presentable, greet customers, tell them about the sales, assist them and work the cash register if no one else is up there. Its kind of disorganized and i feel out of place alot not knowing what to do with myself. They are just coming into new management and already people are quitting left and right, mainly because they have been there for 5+ years and got booted to the side without advancement into management and were even cut hours. They hire ALOT of "temporary" positions so no one really gets a lot of hours. The hardest part is that they want you to "push" products, putting lotion on people and getting them to try handsoaps with NO asking, just telling them hey check this out and squirt it on their hands. The most enjoyable part is smelling and checking out all the products!
Pros
Great starting pay, getting free stuff
Cons
Few hours, pushy sales tactics
Fun energetic work place with great products.
Shop Director/District Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOJuly 22, 2016
A typical day was ensuring the store was ready for business and the staffing was in place to take care of them. I learned a lot about seasonal scheduling with the peaks and valleys of a business like this. I had a super management team there that really made things click. The most challenging part of the job was handling the large amount of stock with a very small stock area. It taught me how to utilize every space possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was training and teaching employees.
Pros
Good work life balance. Work week was 40-43 hours.
Cons
A lot of weekends, but that is the business.
Sales aggressive environment
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 13, 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with. It was a fun place to work with great discounts and bonuses for management if your store did well in sales. Depending on the location and demographic, customers can be polite and friendly. It can be brutal during the holidays with long hours and nasty customers. I don't know how many times I was verbally attacked for a fragrance being discontinued. Floor changes are labor intensive depending on the size of the store you work at and is required for all employees. There is a lot of product knowledge to take in but the materials are there if you need it. It's a good start up job for sales associates but management can be a challenge. There is very little recognition but once the numbers drop a little there is always someone to blame. There is no support from outside management when help is needed. Your expected to do a lot more for little pay.
Pros
Free travel samples, discounts, benefits
Cons
Management, less pay for more work, no support or recognition
Fun and fast paced
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXOctober 24, 2016
I've loved this company and this job for 4 years! It's a great company to work for because they reward you for your hard work. I've loved developing relationships with the customers!! The management team in the store makes a huge difference in the environment of the store though. As with any retail job, the management can make you love it or hate it.
Pros
Customer relationships and compensation
Cons
Great experience, not always great at follow up.
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMarch 4, 2016
I enjoy my job at Bath and Body Works; the clientele is (for the most part) enjoyable, and I have fun with my coworkers. This was my first Holiday experience with the company, and it was -to say the least- intense. Lbrands as an entirety is very numbers focused, and there was a lot of pressure for us to make our Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Quarterly goals, and this has helped me to better my selling effectiveness as well as my management style. Before the actual Holiday season had started, I had been talked to about a promotion to Assistant Manager in another store, however, I have not heard anything since. I am learning how to better manage a store, how to execute flawless (or nearly there) brand standards, and how to select proper staff to uphold our company policies, and I would love the opportunity to move onward and upward, however, I have not been given an environment in which my superiors are willing to teach me how to move on.
Pros
Great experience, fun environment, great benefits
Cons
Short Breaks, long hours, biased managers
Fast Paced, Fun Products, Great People to Work With, Poor Upper Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 18, 2016
This was one of me favorite jobs ever! On the store level, it is a great company! My Store team was amazing and we had a lot of great people working for us! However, when you start dealing with management from district manager and up, it is not as wonderful. I did not see much growth potential and there didn't seem to be much job stability. The most enjoyable parts of the job were the customers and the products! The customers were so much fun to work with and the products practically sell themselves! The hardest part was dealing with ever changing district managers, who may or may not have your back, and the pay was not in line with the job expectations. Overall I enjoyed my time with this company, but it is not a company for anyone who is looking for a long term career.
Pros
Great Customers, Great Products
Cons
Poor Upper Management, Poor Communication, No Support
Fast-Paced, Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 19, 2016
There is no time to rest while working at Bath and Body Works. The store I worked at was a very large, A-volume store located in the center of a high-traffic mall. A typical day at work could mean selling on the floor, working the cash register or pushing out new shipment. This job requires employees to be able to friendly and out-going. Being able to multi-task, work fast and efficiently also help you succeed as an associate. If you can easily talk to people and can quickly pick up information about the products, you will have no problem working here. If you are not out-going then I would recommend finding another place to work. The managers will assess you based on your ability to sell and interact with customers. If you can't do this, you won't get fired but you will definitely work less shifts.

The most difficult part of the job were the long hours. I was a valued employee so the management team wanted me present at all floor-sets and high-traffic shifts. Since the store was so large, we were there until the early hours of the morning setting the floor. I was a full-time college student while working here, so getting home at 3 am and then going to my 8 am lectures was incredibly difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere. It was a great way for me to relieve stress and stop thinking about school for a few hours. We were all friends, which made the job much more fun.
Pros
Fun environment, Monthly free gift for top employees
Cons
Long hours, Short breaks, Expectations are high
Fun workplace
Full Time Manager (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILSeptember 9, 2016
I learned a lot on management and sales.
I learned a lot on coaching and developing talent.
A typical day would be being on the sales floor, making sure every associate knows their goals for the day and holding them accountable. Also, making sure every customer is leaving satisfied. I love my co-workers. I've learned a lot from them
Pros
benefits, discount, team
Cons
management
Great job, no hours
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PANovember 28, 2016
I have been a part time employee for two months and have only worked 20 hours total (10 of which were on Black Friday). They hired too many seasonal employees. The managers don't know any of us, never give us hours, but expect us to know exactly what's going on every three weeks when we're able to come in. They have offered me shifts and then not given them to me on the schedule. They also lied about the hours I would be offered. 10 per week has turned into 2 to 3 per week. The job itself is okay, but it is very difficult to meet management expectations when you are on the register for three hours and then sent home. They also lied about how many of us they intended to keep on as part time after the holidays, and have already told us all they're over staffed. The customers are fun to interact with, but the job is NOT worth the frustration.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
No hours
Slightly challenging to work here sometimes but staff is extremely helpful
Beauty Advisor/Top Seller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2016
It gets incredibly busy during peak hours. Sometimes there are not enough sales representatives on the floor to assist the customers with questions/items or just general concerns, which increases their frustration sometimes and the same goes for sales associates. There is a lot of product to remember so at times so it may be a bit overwhelming after a while. Hours for salespeople/cashiers/stock tends to get cut from time to time but not all the time. Despite this, its really not a bad place to work at. Just stay focused and you'll be fine.
Pros
A lot of free items for new products are given to employees from time to time.
Cons
short breaks, work/life balance, impatient customers
Love my customer..
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXAugust 15, 2016
Members of management pick favorites. If she don't like you you won't move up. It's all about her and making her look good.. They want you to meet your SPAH goals but keep you at cash wrap. Beware before applying for this job.. Was a great place to work until this store manager.
Pros
Free items. Gratis.
Cons
Long hours, never get off your your scheduled to. Mangers forget about lunches.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bath & Body Works. Our community is ready to answer.