Bath & Body Works
1,691 reviews

Bath & Body Works Employer Reviews

Love the Product, the Personnel, the Position
Customer Sales Lead (Former Employee), Sevierville, TNFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: the product, the personnel
Cons: not much money
A day at BB&W would consist of opening the store, setting the registers, receiving and processing shipment, stocking and sales lead on the floor. At times I might work offsite to bring in more merchandise during busier times of the year such as black friday and Christmas. I learned what kind of manager to be at this store, the managers were professional but caring and encouraged you to be more and gave you the drive that you needed to give all that you could give while on the job. The hardest part of the job was truck day, the lifting is hard work, offsite, was hard work but I enjoyed working at BB&W...I have made lifelong friends there and still shop there all the time.
Overworked/Underpaid
Sales Associate for Bath and Body (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 12, 2015
Never again. This place makes you work all hours of the night for barely more than minimum wage. This company needs an overhaul in how they treat their employees.
fun productive work place
Customer service (Current Employee), Vidalia, GAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: gratis...
Cons: pays minimum wage
I love working here, great company it is fun and excellent place to work love my co-workers ... love the products as well..
The most enjoyable part at work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAFebruary 10, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to put my skills at work and to better my work ethic. Being around the candles and lotions etc made me feel comfortable cause I'm already familiar with the products. Although this was my first retail job I excelled.
Bath and Body Works
Sales leader (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: up-beat and exciting
Cons: no benefits and very little hours
It is a very fun, up-beat place to work. The customers and products are enjoyable and never get boring. The compensation and hours are tough to come by. Around seasonal/holiday work is full of excitement and hours are needed. Overall a great job but not a career.
job was great, Distric Manager a nightmare
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Valley, WAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: you always smell good
Cons: high pressure they higher anyone
employees were being threatened by another employee the DM was made aware and did nothing due to when the employee wasn't threatening people she could sell.
they claim its not high pressure sales but it is
raises are a joke (5-10 cents)
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Dearborn, MIFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: free new products given to employees
Cons: small space to work in
Bath and Body Works is a fun, yet busy store to work at. You definitely work hard for your hours and your pay. One thing that I learned at Bath and Body Works is that a great displays brings in lots of customers. This store was very precise on how things were displayed to represent the store.
Most of the people were nice
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Erie, PAFebruary 9, 2015
Cons: far from house and didn't give me hours
Not happy that they only hired me for seasonal job and didn't tell me that in the beginning! And I called for my call in shifts to see if they needed me and they of course never did and then I continued to call ask about my schedule and could never get a straight answer out of anyone.
Great Place to work
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: fun and energetic
Cons: too many employees to count; not enough hours
My overall experience at this job was good. However, I did not care for the fact that they hired way too many people, because that did give me very many working hours.
Fun and friendly environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2015
It's a great atmosphere to be in with friendly coworkers who lend a helping hand when needed. The management is always welcoming and asking how you are. It's like having a family at work. A typical day is usually smooth, I go in, get briefed on the goals for the day and start working. I will greet customers, demo testers to help engage with the customers. I help them find what they need, stock shelves and take out trash. If anything is damaged I make sure it is logged in before being thrown away. There isn't really a hard part at this job. My favorite part is the positive energy. You literally learn something new every day you're there.
High level talent and strong brand culture
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), Escondido, CAFebruary 6, 2015
A very structured workplace that is demanding and rewarding at the same time. The roles and responsibilities are extremely clear and management has a hands on approach. The culture is very warm and inviting.
Fast paced holiday work envirorment, friendly co-workers
Temporary Holiday Sales Associate (Former Employee), Blaine, MNFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: free products
Cons: short shifts, low compensation
Customers and employees are friendly.
I worked during the holidays so the work day was always busy.
Job duties included customer complaints, phone calls, stocking, light cleaning, cashiering, creating displays, straightening, and greeting customers.
Alluring, but not worth the time and the pay.
Customer Sales Lead (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: teeny tiny gratises and 30% discount for associates and csls, 40% for managers and co-managers.
Cons: customer demographic, changing product line, floorsets
Bath and Body Works is a good place to work as an associate, but not as a management member. As an associate, hours vary constantly and it can often be frustrating to only have a week of call-in shifts and no actual shifts on the schedule. There is ALWAYS something to do, be it straightening, stocking, or the like. Management, do NOT expect to actually get a 30 minute break if you work an 8+ hour shift. Chances are that you'll be too busy moving around to Floorsets occur once, sometimes twice a month. Changes to the store happen near-nightly---marketing must be pulled and changed almost every night. Sales change constantly, so if an associate does not work for three or four days, chances are that they will not be aware of the current sales. It is VITAL that associates and managers alike maintain awareness of what is occurring in the store. Likewise, a closing shift will almost always end after the scheduled time, so do not expect to get out at 10 if you're scheduled to close. It'll usually come closer to 10:30, sometimes up to midnight or later if working during the holiday shift. Managers and associates alike can expect a scheduled 8 hour shift during holiday season but can end up working 12 hours, if not longer.

Management is another issue. Stores are broken down into managers, co-managers, sales leads, and then associates. Managers, co-managers, and sales leads are all required to open and close the store. This includes counting the opening and closing tills and ensuring the cleanliness and stability of the store. Store management members are assigned "segments" according – more... to the daily plan. Segments are two hour sections of the day where the store is expected to make a certain amount of money and "convert" a particular number of customers. This can often prove tedious, as groups can walk into the store and not all of the group members are willing to buy products from the store. This in turn counts against the store and ultimately the manager on duty. Management is also expected to sell a certain number of product from different categories in the store: Signature Collection, Home Fragrance, and Soaps and Sanitizers. If they do not sell the required number of dollars' worth, it is further counted against the store and the manager on duty.

Bath and Body also has a particular breed of customers that comes in. Roughly 90% of the store's merchandise consists of seasonal merchandise, so the customer base is often disgruntled with having to find another new favorite product. While it IS fun to see the new products, it can be upsetting to know that a fragrance has disappeared forever (unless it's tweaked slightly and renamed and repackaged for the next season). The customers will complain about everything from fragrance selection, pricing, and the types of products available. The default answer is to refer to the customer to customer service, but customer service tends to prove as more of a hassle for the employees than a benefit. The return policy for Bath and Body can be very frustrating for BBW workers as well. Customers can return used product at any time if they decide that they no longer like it. This includes a bottle of lotion from three years ago that only has a third left in it.

The only real benefit that Bath and Body has is that it allows its employees to transfer fairly easily. Employees can transfer to Victoria's Secret, White Barn Candles, and Henri Bendel. It's nice if you are a college student and want to keep your job in between vacations and school or are moving frequently.

Bottom line-- Bath and Body is mostly a dead-end job. They say that they're willing to promote from within the company, but this is mostly untrue. Stick with this job if you need something, but keep in mind that it is very much a retail position. Irregular hours, disgruntled customers, seemingly meaningless tasks are all a part of it, and sometimes the 30% discount doesn't make up for it. The team that you work with can make the difference, though. – less
Sales associate
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 6, 2015
Stocking up the shelves with missing products. Greet everyone who enters the store. Advise people of any new sales or new products. Cleaning and making sure the store is neat and organized
work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Birch Run, MIFebruary 5, 2015
Excellent work envirmoment.The management team is very friendly and helpful as well as the other employees. I loved being able to interact with the customers and test different lotions soaps and prays on them.
Ok environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), West Nyack, NYFebruary 5, 2015
Not much to say about this place. Did not enjoy the job. A call-in employee. Stood around doing nothing gets boring. The co-workers were fun a group of people to be with after the job is done.
Great Company
Cashier (Former Employee), Everett, WAFebruary 5, 2015
I learned a lot about customer service and how to keep a customer happy as well as how to work a cash register and handle money.
Loved it for a bit
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: great staff
Cons: poor pay
Overall it is a good retail company, very friendly staff, team work is the key there. Its not commissioned based but you do have to engage with customers as they walk in. Greet them and encourage a sale by letting them know about items on sale. Main focus is the signature collection of lotions and splashes. Good first job for anyone break out of comfort zone.
A schedule with no schedule
Sales Floor Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Centennial, COFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: love the product
Cons: call in shifts, labor intensive, low pay
This place drove me nuts because of the call-in shifts. You have to plan as if you have to work, but then you call in an hour before your shift and find out you don't have to work anyways. You get lots of hours between late October and early January. Other than that, forget it...unless you are management, which there are too many (4 in the small store I worked at) who get all the hours. Floor sets are ridiculously hard work, to which you don't get any extra compensation besides a soap if you are lucky. Very labor intensive job.
Good overall company
Store Director (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAFebruary 4, 2015
I was able to learn a lot about personal care with the company, good core values. I worked with quality team members as well

About Bath & Body Works

PERSONAL CARE. REDEFINED. For the past two decades, Bath and Body Works has reinvented the personal care industry with the – Read more

Bath & Body Works Photos