Baton Rouge General Employee Reviews

Great workplace and learning environment for my clnical experience
Nuclear Medicine Imaging Student (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 15, 2013
A typical day started at 7am. I would arrive before technologists and perform the daily QC procedures on the cameras and dose calibrator as well as prepare the department for that day's patients.
On an average day, this department would perform a wide variety of studies usually ranging from 8-10 scans per day. Cardiac perfusion rest/stress test, HIDA scans, gastric emptying, bone scans, thyroid uptake and scans, thyroid therapy, Lung V/Q, GI bleed, MUGA, DAT scans, and Octreoscans were the majority of the scans we performed. Unless a STAT case was ordered in the afternoon, we would normally finish patients around 4pm. At this point, I would clean up department and leave for the day. Through my clinical student experience, I learned dose calibrator operation, how to receive, prepapre, and safely administer radiopharmaceuticals, patient consultations for the various studies, gamma camera and PET/CT operation, patient positioning and comfort, and computer image processing. As an additional benefit to my educational learning, I gained experience in creating a patient-technologist relationship where I focused on patient comfort and satisfaction while they were under my care. I cannot name one certain aspect of this job that is most enjoyable about this job. I truly enjoyed every aspect of my experience from speaking with patients, to handling radiopharmaceuticals, to operating the camera, and also processing the studies. I am so greatful to have had the opportunity to attend this program and I look forward to my upcoming graduation and the start of my career as a Nuclear Medicine
  more... Technologist.  less
Pros
cafeteria lunches, hours, coworkers
Cons
distance from my hometown
Oh my god!!
RN operating room (Current Employee) –  Baton RougeApril 2, 2013
I'm on a current travel assignment at Baton Rouge General OR. I have never worked so hard in all my life in an OR. It's a huge surgery dept so being on your feet and looking for supplies in 3 cores is unavoidable. I've never worked in a facility that didnt offer an am break. The staff works really hard and should get an opportunity to go to barhroom and get water. I got to a point where I was shocked if I got a lunch break! I think lunch break is automatically deducted from hours but I know for a fact employees are not getting full 30 mins! The Mkesson charting is HORRIBLE! There are so many other charting systems that are so much easier!! Dont get me started on the stack of paperwork you need to complete a surgery!!!...... charge tickets, preference cards, stickers and operating room nurses are responsible for getting and turning in anesthesia paperwork?!! Heres an idea... how about anes. take care of their own paperwork and OR take care of their own paperwork. Its a concept that works great at every other facility ive worked at. There are ways to make this place a more user friendly OR and make it a bit easier on staff but I'm just a contract worker & ill be out if there ASAP!
Pros
beautiful hospital
Cons
...no breaks
I enjoyed working at the Baton Rouge General.
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 2, 2015
A typical day at work would began around 8am. As usual my coworkers were friendly and helpful. We all did our work to best of our abilities. We assisted each other when needed. I would perform various duties while there. Everyday would hold something different for me to do. However, I enjoyed multi-tasking. It kept me busy and the day went by faster. Some of those tasks included answering the phone, analyzing a chart, or helping out with bill hold. I also located missing charts as well help prep charts to scan in to our electronic medical records. I also scanned and indexed charts into the system as well. The hardest part of job for me would be when I couldn't find a chart. It was hard because this had an affect on the hospital's budget. I enjoyed every part of my job.
The Birth Center of America
Staff Nurse Endoscopy Unit (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 5, 2014
The was a six bed LDRP- with a level 3 NICU. The staffing culture was a awesome web of knowledge. There were nurses from other facilities in BR, NOLA -- various areas. The education I gained from this group was invaluable to which I will always be grateful.
After a few years, I could manage any patient from complicated antepartal patient - laboring patient-- postpartal/lactating patient and not to exclude high risk patients.
This staff strived for excellence and cared for the community.
Pros
the ability to see life that will only happen once and give each family a great birth experience.
Cons
feast or famine. when it is busy there is barely time to eat and drink, but the outcome is so rewarding.
Was my first RN job.
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 23, 2015
When I started at the general it was a wonderful experience. As the hospital and management changed, I began to wonder if the "other side' was greener. While I have nothing to compare it to, I found the general a wonderful place to work because of my co-workers. Management was not uplifting and I did not feel care about by those making schedules and decisions. But my co-workers were always amazing, inspirational, and the life blood of my work life. I can not speak high enough of the bedside staff. I'm hoping my next experience will not result in me becoming so untrusting of my management aspect of the multi-disciplinary team.
The best place to get any medical training!!
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 1, 2014
When obtaining a Phlebotomy job a BRGM i was clueless as to what i was doing. Fresh out of school and lost. My supervisor and co-workers was very patient, helpful and motivating. Its because of them that i became the phlebotomist that i am today. After 5 years of being a phlebotomist i became a Phlebotomy Supervisor at an institution in which i've been employed for over 9yrs. This institution (BRGM) has been very inspiring to me and i would recommend it to anyone for any type of medical training.
I'm vary grateful for and to BRGM.
Pros
exellent staff
Cons
pay can be a little better.
When to Delivery to company and don't have to delivery no more that day ping pong table.
Selling product to difference Business (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge,LA.March 26, 2013
.when sitting around waiting on to delivery to the next place
. Get job don't like it support to be done.
.Delivery job proper wait try to make time frame for whole day
.people who give your paper work to delivery and map are person who sit side you
.first day at work and don't have to much to do
Are just don't know area.
.when you got good at job and thing going good.
Pros
stopping of when you want if something that have to be delivery at that time frame.
Cons
when delivery have to make it before business is for that day 5:00 to 6:00 clock
Great Family Atmosphere
RN (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 3, 2012
I have worked at the Baton Rouge General for over 21 years and have to say it has been a very enjoyable experience. The management of the hospital is very concerned about staff and does as much as it can to make the staff feel important. There is a strong family atmosphere and people don't mind working with one another, even if from different departments. Benefits are great. Working conditions are excellent and safe.
Pros
bonus program, promotions available, great benefits, supportive management.
Cons
two hospitals which means sometimes you have to work at the other hospital.
Baton Rouge General Overall
Unit Clerk/Monitor Technician (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 25, 2013
I have worked at the Bluebonnet campus for 14 years. I have enjoyed working here, I have a great manager. I worked on the Telemetry unit for 13 years and ICU for 1 year. The General reward and recognize all their employees as a whole. The general has been nationally recognize as hospital of the year several time. I enjoyed been a part of a facility that has so much compassion for thier patients as well the employees. I have seen a lot of people come and go over the years and I have enjoyed many of them, I even have made good friends with a few.
Pros
good enviroment
Cons
short breaks
Very snobby, cliquish place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Surgical ServicesJanuary 31, 2013
I was oriented with rudeness and people talking about you behind your back. Management does nothing to stop un-proffessional, crude behavior. Administration caters to patients with social standing. If you dont't "fit in" with management's favorite staff, or if you don't have high society connections, it won't matter how much of a competent, dependable nurse you are. Raises are very low. Nurses work in a culture of constant criticism and reprimands. The system is designed to keep salaries low.
A very interesting place to work
Employee Health and Wellness Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 18, 2012
A typical day for me would be giving vaccines and drug screens and new hire health assessments. Since working here I have learned a lot more about infection control and hospital exposure risks. Management is very friendly and easy going. The hardest part of the job is proving to coworkers that you deserve the position that you hold. The most enjoyable part of the job is freedom of expression.
Pros
open minded managemant
Cons
coworkers always question your skill level and knowlege
Assisted in saving lives
Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 8, 2012
A typical day at work involved the sterilization of surgical instruments and equipment used by surgeons. I learned the process of cleaning instruments properly. Management was reasonable and fair. Co-workers worked as a team to ensure that the instruments were properly sterile. Our care for properly sterilizing the instruments were just as important for patients as it would be if our loved ones were in the same circumstance. There was nothing hard about the job and having the privilege of being part of the process that help saved lives was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Busy work day with much interaction with patients
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at work consist of completing 10-20 jobs during a 5 hour work period. It stays very busy during most of the shift, which i like. This job has taught me how to better interact and communicate with patients and co-workers. Management could care more about the employees, but most of the time they don't. Co-workers are very hard workers and appreciative of any help they get.
Pros
Work where i go to school, co-workers i work with
Cons
Short lunch breaks, balancing school schedule and work schedule
BRG is a pretty good place to work but lots have changed.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 27, 2012
I've been with BRG since 2006. I started on their oncology/hematology floor where I got much more than expected. This floor gave the ultimate nursing experience. unfortunately our floor was moved to the newer campus and i was placed on a telemetry floor. This floor.....you better have your skates on.....but I definitely learned alot. The hardest part of this job is the lack of staff but I enjoy working with my patients and co-workers.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
lack of staff
A job worthwhile
RN, PRN House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 28, 2012
I enjoy my days working for BRG. Employees work at both Bluebonnet and Midcity. The atmosphere is friendly. People say Hello as you pass them in the hallway. All employees work very hard to keep the environment clean and presentable. The nurses care about their patients. I know they give 100% to each patient. Some days are very hectic, but at the end of the day, its worthwhile, knowing you die a good job.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 19, 2012
They didnt have that many patients so we each got like 8 tickets a piece to do and we celebrated it with a fun but work day. My co- workers were easy to get along with and if you need help with anything they would be there to help. The hardest part of the job is when there is a patient that you have to spend at least 10-15 minutes on just to find their veins..
No room for advancement. Poor nursing management
Staff Rn (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, louisianaFebruary 13, 2014
Unit I worked was always understaffed. The average staffing ratio was 6-1. Most of the nurses were new graduates with little experience in caring for the types of patients on the unit. The type patients on our unit were medical surgical, telemetry, post op cardiovascular patients and other potentially critical patients. Very clickish. If you were not in "the group" you got passed over for promotions!
Pros
pay
Cons
poor staffing, management not supportive of nursing.
The best hospital in Baton Rouge.
Registered Nurse - Charge and Staff - Inpatient (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LouisianaJuly 12, 2012
This is the best hospital in Baton Rouge. It is top rated by unbiased research on caring for the most important medical problems encountered. The staff is the most caring and skilled anywhere. The education is top notch. The management is the best. Co-workers support each other. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing patients improve on a consistent basis. The doctors are professional, courteous and competent. I love it!
Pros
great hospital.
Cons
not for slackers.

Comment – September 29, 2012

Unless a lot have changed since about two years ago it is not the best hospital in Baton Rouge when it comes to some of the emergenycy room staff. It was a nightmare for us that night, I am not talking about all of them because there are some very good employers working in the emergency room but for some if not already dismissed need to be gone.

fast pace
Financial Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 3, 2015
working at the Baton Rouge General is a very fast pace job the type of job that you learn something new every day, I worked with insurance companies which included health ,auto,and workers comp, companies . The most enjoyable part of my job was making sure that at the end of the day that I did my job to the best of my ability and that the patients that I handled their claims were paid according to contract.
enjoy my job
Registered Nurse-Emergency Dept (Current Employee) –  emergency departmentJuly 13, 2013
enjoyed working at Baton Rouge General. Works as a Registered Nurse in the ER, caring for neonates to elderly. Have been a registered nurse for over 25 years. I work 12 hour shifts, 36 hours per week.

Management is very good. I really like my co-workers. My job can be difficult because of the hours on my feeet. However, I enjoy caring for people