Battelle Employee Reviews

Toxic culture and no stability
Financial Support Services (Former Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Competitive Salary bands
Cons: Constant layoffs/RIF's
I was excited to work at Battelle but that quickly went downhill after my first week there. I don't think there is much talent in the division I was in - Finance.

Managers hire mainly on employee referrals which has created cliques of unqualified employees with no college degrees. If you have an advanced degree - you will be treated with hostility from your peers. People just mope around the office and complain all day long. If you are good at what you do - you get assigned more work. If you are incompetent - that's ok, you can just hang out in the hallway and bring morale down with complaining and negativity.

There are constant layoffs/RIF's and it's created an uneasy work environment.
Productive, challenging, continuous personal growth and great team ethic.
QA Inspector (Former Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 21, 2015
This is a great company to work for. In my 10+yrs experience I have developed and continuously grown in the area of Quality to a Specialist. In my growth it was exciting, challenging, and great team ethic whom our clients/customers always gave recognition. Within my years of service I had been promoted three times. Again, this is a great company to work for with an exceptional opportunity for growth.
I dont have much to say
Junior GC Operator (Former Employee), Tooele, UTJuly 21, 2015
There were some great things about working for battelle, the health benefits and the salary were exceptional for me. There was great oppurtunity for advancement. There was a great workplace envirornment where people got along pretty well and were friendly. It was my first lab job soo i learned alot working for battelle. They sent me on multiple trips across the country for top notch training. Days were very slow we worked 13 hour shift with about 3-6 hours worth of work which made the days horridly slow. Job security was great; barring your watching indescent material on the job on a work computer or intentionally falsifying data you could not doyour work, or be completely horrible at it. Routinely coming up with less than desirable results on a daily basis and your job would not be in jeopardy.
It was a good place for starting out
Systems Analyst II (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits, Pension has been offered
Cons: Culture of backstabbing, Poor management at upper levels
I ended up working for the same manager for nearly 15 years. And meeting goals to get to the next level didn't matter. The goalpost kept getting pushed back.
Overall good
Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2015
Good salary, good management, lots of work, lots of chances to move up. Co-workers were great. IT departments are very knowledgable in what they do.
Anonomous
Anonomous (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJune 24, 2015
Trying to discover who they are after the 2008 crash. They are still struggling and constantly changing. That is not bad, however some old people making the changes.
Declining Company
Protection Specialist V (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 21, 2015
Pros: Matching 401(k) up to 3%
Cons: Poor leadership, poor communication with employees, no advancement
Battelle is feeling the government contracting squeeze as bad or worse than most. The management has suffered by hiring inexperienced managers who only see the bottom line and do not recognize talent. There is zero possibility of promotion and the benefits are eroding very quickly. No pension, no opportunity for bonuses or recognition. No employee loyalty.
Good Work/Life Balance
IT Project Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJune 14, 2015
The work/life balance is good, but the opportunities for advancement can be quite limited depending upon the group in which you are assigned.
positive work life balance, intelligent coworkers
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Crystal City, VAMay 17, 2015
The Battelle experience is very specific to the client you support and your immediate coworkers. Battelle typically functions in small groups blending analytical, technical, and subject matter experts that works in close coordination with the client.
Professional Environment with interesting work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 11, 2015
Pros: Encouraging, Professional, Challenging
Working at Battelle was a wonderful experience. The work was interesting and co-workers very professional. There is an atmosphere of "learning" everywhere at Battelle. If you would like to learn something, there are opportunities for you to do so. They appreciate the self-starting employee and encourage you to grow.
Another Government Contractor
Project Manager (Current Employee), Aberdeen, MDMarch 9, 2015
Battelle (in Aberdeen) has been described as a place to go in the evening of your career.

Management heavy.

Tuition Assistance.

Relatively open scheduling.
Challenging and Rewarding Work Environment
Research Scientist (Current Employee), Aberdeen, MDFebruary 27, 2015
Able to support a variety of projects that focused on different aspects of biology research. Best part of the job were my fellow co-workers and the variety in projects. Became an expert in several fields biology.
Great place to work with excellent work life balance
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Richland WAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: work life balance, time accruals, culture
Cons: overhead charges
Battelle is a great company to work for. They have an excellent work culture and are involved in cutting edge research. Benefits and work like balance is great.
mixed
Technical Position (Former Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: pay is competitive, benefits are good, work can be challenging and rewarding
Cons: inconsistent corporate culture, unpredictable job security
You can work on a variety of technical challenges, provided you are willing to put up with the unpredictable job security of contract research. Battelle is an odd amalgam in that the corporate culture can be really good in one area, and very uncomfortable in another.
Great experience
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Stafford, VAFebruary 6, 2015
My employment here was some time ago, but I really had a good experience. My direct supervisors were excellent and there was lots of room for advancement and learning.
Great company but business line is losing work
Project Manager, Emergency Preparedness Specialist (Current Employee), Pentagon, DCFebruary 5, 2015
I've worked for Battelle for nearly four years and have enjoyed my time here. I had a great mentor/project manager when I first started who I learned a lot from about contract management and when I took over the project it was nearly seamless because of the time she spent with me. The management structure leaves the line managers (who oversee the project/program managers) overwhelmed and strapped for time so there were times as a project manager I don't feel I received the support/top cover/training that I always needed. Battelle is a very large company and the government agency I'm currently supporting is going in the direction of awarding contracts to small businesses so the business line I support in Battelle has been losing work. Battelle has great benefits and encourages optimal work/life balance which has been paramount since I had my first child in the summer of 2014.
I don't think this is a legitimate company
data collector (Former Employee), flint miJanuary 18, 2015
I was hired by this company. Received all the paperwork, id number and etc. Why did they tell me after 2 months of waiting I didnt pass my background check? Then when I questioned it, the staff told me I would receive a letter stating why. I never received it. Nor would I ever recommended a shady company like this to anyone. I have passed many background checks with previous employers. Extremely unprofessional.
Understaffed
Procurement Rep (Current Employee), ColumbusJanuary 7, 2015
Work load is overwhelming.
Support staff works hard for the needs of the technical staff, however, the technical staff does not appreciate the help they get (for the mot part).
Stressful place to work

Great benefits
Interesting industry and work
Finances are struggling
Working at Battelle
Senior Technician (Former Employee), Fort Worth TexasDecember 29, 2014
Pros: team work is a must
Cons: treated like children when it comes to breaks and general management.
Battelle was a decent company for someone to start with at the beginning of their career. I wouldn't recommend working their long time as advancement is few and far between.
Great learning experience
Purchasing Buyer (Former Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 12, 2014
Pros: learned a lot of material
Cons: no room for advancement
Battelle Memorial Institute has many challenging oppotuninties. I learned alot while there, and consider myself up to date on evaluating and understanding the world of Procurement. Great co-workers, some parts of management were available to teach and assist with growth. A typical day at work..... Well, no day was the same. Lots of action!!!.