Battelle Employee Reviews

Great People and fun interesting jobs to preform.
Crafts Maintenance Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2014
Design new ideas on different topics during the day.
So many really neat things that I am not even aloud to talk about.
Management was very open and helpful.
Co-workers were all different which made a great Think Tank Team.
Hardest part of the job was not talking about work away from work.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that it was different everyday and great accomplishments were provided to the Clients.
Pros
you recived an thank you everyday.
Cons
parking was a issue.
Fascinating Work
Level 5 technician (Current Employee) –  Richland, WANovember 13, 2015
It's a very interesting place to work. I have been able do some incredible things working here. Because it's in the nuclear field, there is a lot of oversight and regulation. I work to many procedures and have to do a lot of paperwork. However, it's worth it when I get the opportunity to do something that few people get to do. Conduct of operations is a culture where I work. I know I can take the valuable things that I have learned here and apply it anywhere.
Pros
Benefits and opportunities to network .
Cons
Long commute to get there. It takes me over an hour each way.
Easy going lab work
GC Operator/Back-up Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJuly 1, 2013
A typical day at work consist of performing assigned tasks and helping out other co-workers. I learned a vast array of new skills pertaining to a wet chemistry lab. The managers are all kind and fair. My co-worker are really great people, we all get along beautifully. The hardest part of the job is staying busy. This job is currently in closure phase and work flow is low making work assignments few in number. The most enjoyable part of my job are the people.
typical work day for me
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek Federal CenterJune 12, 2012
I arrive on time always. I have learned alot about people and different personalities. I work well with co workers but do prefer a small office setting. The hardest part of my current job is being patient with customers regardless of how they are coming across in conversation. I do enjoy finding solutions to problems for customers, they are very thankful for help.
Pros
start time/leave time
Cons
too many coworkers that are in eveyones business, drama
Provide safety for all employees, great company to work for.
Monitoring Foreman (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTApril 18, 2012
I Delegate work tasks, I help with special projects to meet our customer needs. We have great employees with extensive training, this helps me make sure that were providing the support we need to the customers. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with all the proceedures and guidelines, and rewriting them. I get a great deal of satisfaction when my co-workers and I accomplish a hard days work.
Pros
the 7 days off in a row
Cons
shift work
Declining Company
Protection Specialist V (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2015
Battelle is feeling the government contracting squeeze as bad or worse than most. The management has suffered by hiring inexperienced managers who only see the bottom line and do not recognize talent. There is zero possibility of promotion and the benefits are eroding very quickly. No pension, no opportunity for bonuses or recognition. No employee loyalty.
Pros
Matching 401(k) up to 3%
Cons
Poor leadership, poor communication with employees, no advancement
I don't think this is a legitimate company
data collector (Former Employee) –  flint miJanuary 18, 2015
I was hired by this company. Received all the paperwork, id number and etc. Why did they tell me after 2 months of waiting I didnt pass my background check? Then when I questioned it, the staff told me I would receive a letter stating why. I never received it. Nor would I ever recommended a shady company like this to anyone. I have passed many background checks with previous employers. Extremely unprofessional.
Management / Maintenence
CD Monitoring Foreman Demil Tech III (Former Employee) –  Stockton UtahNovember 18, 2013
Managed a crew daily monitoring the air for chemical warfare agents.
I learned ho to operate and maintain vital equipment.
I was able to manage and train employees with friendly and productive results.
My co-worker were productive and very reliable.
The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines that co-insisted with URS and government regulations.
Working with reliable people that you could trust was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
managing good people
Cons
location
Good working environment with lots of opportunities
Monitoring Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Stockton, UtahMarch 20, 2013
Battelle is an all around good job. A typical day at work challenging all the ACAMS in the morning and doing the DAAMS runs. Through out the day, pull samples when necessary. Along with any other duties that need to be done for that day. Co- workers are good to work with and management is good. Hardest part of the job is how technical all the data is that we enter, and all of the chain of custody of all the samples
Pros
great pay
Cons
shift work
Enjoyed working with the CBR Equipment
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 15, 2012
Work day was 8am-5pm with 2 short 15 minute breaks and 1 hour for lunch. Enjoyed learning about the different types of Chemical, Biological and Radiological clothing which is provided for our Service Men and Women defending our Freedom. Management was sufficient, some micro-managing by some. Co-workers were friendly.
Pros
short commute to work.
Cons
short breaks, 3 different tracking systems used to locate gear in warehouse was inacurate.
for me working at Battell
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHSeptember 6, 2015
I love working here :) it is fairly quiet and everyone gets along as a family! Yes, there are stressful days, due to the importance of the secrecy of the task.

Everyone is very helpful and willing to work with you, with patience and calmness to help you achieve your tasks!
Pros
paid holidays, paid lunches, able to wear jeans and tshirts
Cons
the level of secrecy that is needed to be kept for certain task
Great learning experience
Purchasing Buyer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 12, 2014
Battelle Memorial Institute has many challenging oppotuninties. I learned alot while there, and consider myself up to date on evaluating and understanding the world of Procurement. Great co-workers, some parts of management were available to teach and assist with growth. A typical day at work..... Well, no day was the same. Lots of action!!!.
Pros
learned a lot of material
Cons
no room for advancement
25 Years of Service
Retired (Former Employee) –  Richland, WADecember 18, 2013
Retired (Former Employee), Richland, WA – December 18, 2013
Pros: Job Work life was balanced, benefits were excellent, Job Security was present, and Job Culture met Battelle guidelines
Cons: Minimum customer interface.
The Electrical Craft and Instrument Tech crafts merged as one craft.

Electrician: Received job assignments, completed work as assigned.

Instrument Tech-Computer Service was ~ 18 of the 25 years at Battelle. This was the most rewarding and best aligned with my skill base.
Pros
job work life was balanced, benefits were excellent, job security was present, and job culture met battelle guidelines
Cons
minimum customer interface.
Productive, challenging, continuous personal growth and great team ethic.
QA Inspector (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 21, 2015
This is a great company to work for. In my 10+yrs experience I have developed and continuously grown in the area of Quality to a Specialist. In my growth it was exciting, challenging, and great team ethic whom our clients/customers always gave recognition. Within my years of service I had been promoted three times. Again, this is a great company to work for with an exceptional opportunity for growth.
See below
Senior Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 29, 2013
Has been a stable company.
Flexible workng hours.
Have learned diverse computer systems and analyses.
Management has made some poor decisions in resent years i.e. building facilities that can not be fully utilized.
The hardest and most enjoyable part of my job has been method development and trouble shooting.
Pros
onsight fitness center
Cons
job security
Structured work place
Instrument Technician IV (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJanuary 26, 2013
On a typical day I perform method develop on new waste samples and perform normal extraction analysis on routine samples to support plant operations. I am responsible for training employees on hazards in the lab, hazards in their day job task and the proper ways of protecting themselves from those hazards using engineering controls, administrative controls and personal protective equipment.
A career without limits
Protection Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALNovember 13, 2013
Battelle Memorial Institute offers unlimited potential for advancement, a great job culture, and competitive salary. I have no idea what a typical day is because each day presents different challenges and rewards. The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers.
Pros
great work and great rewards
Cons
as with all contract work, the next contract is always "working"
Inconsistent job security, out of touch with employees, poor managing skills
Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 26, 2012
Battelle has many layers of management, which equates to making it extremely difficult to perform your job. Opportunities for advancement and professional training are seriously lacking. Compensation is one of their high points, as well as a flexible work schedule.
Pros
flexible work schedule, compensation
Cons
job security, management, don't value employees
It was a good place for starting out
Systems Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 20, 2015
I ended up working for the same manager for nearly 15 years. And meeting goals to get to the next level didn't matter. The goalpost kept getting pushed back.
Pros
Good Benefits, Pension has been offered
Cons
Culture of backstabbing, Poor management at upper levels
mixed
Technical Position (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2015
You can work on a variety of technical challenges, provided you are willing to put up with the unpredictable job security of contract research. Battelle is an odd amalgam in that the corporate culture can be really good in one area, and very uncomfortable in another.
Pros
pay is competitive, benefits are good, work can be challenging and rewarding
Cons
inconsistent corporate culture, unpredictable job security