Battelle Employee Reviews

Very good R&D research lab
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 1, 2017
Had the opportunity to build/install/troubleshoot complex electronic systems from start to finish. All through the building process was a chance to learn something new.
Pros
career enhancement
Cons
Great place to work with minimal room to grow
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 27, 2017
The management is great. Very good environment to work in but if you want to grow in a company this is not the place for it. Positions do not open often and people stay at their jobs for a long time hence the cog in moving up.
My 27-year career at Battelle was exciting and challenging.
Executive Secretary to the Director of HR (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 12, 2017
My work over the time period of 27 years was varied. The early days of working in the text processing group was exciting and challenging. We had a group of 6 to 8 people and when I became supervisor it became my responsibility to maintain a positive and competitive level of standards and procedures. The morale was good and we were very productive.

My last 10 to 12 years at Battelle elevated me to an executive status where my services were directed for the needs of the Vice President of Human Resources. This position was highly confidential and required a professional level of day to day operations.

The learning curve during the years as Executive Secretary propelled me into the upper management arena and the duties were challenging and very satisfying.
Pros
During the early days of my career at Battelle the environment was very family oriented.
Cons
Company became more concerned with the bottom line than the employees.
Great Internal Support
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 6, 2017
Worked client site contract, where communication and support between client site employees and organization site co-workers was very well developed.

Minor issues within project team members attitude towards one another (passive aggressive), which provided very little resolution. Otherwise major conflicts within the team were dealt very quickly.
Pros
Well developed team environment
Cons
My position did not have any possible promotion
Everything changes
Demil Technician III (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMay 31, 2017
Thought that this job was a dream come true. After starting i realized that while trying to improve processes they would change thing to a point that it was difficult to do a good job. Communication between shifts and teammates was not good. Then when there was rumors started there was not enough investigation to find the real truth.
Days was long and the nights was longer.
I learned to not trust co workers
the hardest part of the job was finding out what had changed on your day off.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Never knew who was going to stab you in the back.
Temporary Assignment
EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 28, 2017
I covered four months for someone else while they were on leave. I worked on an Army base in Frederick, Maryland, which was a busy area with high security.
Family oriented job
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2017
great company to work for, very diverse culture and very respectful of others. The hardest part of the job was understanding the hierarchy in relation to being a contractor working for a federal government agency- you have multiple bosses and sometimes they do not agree
Pros
great pay and good benefits
Cons
difficult to advance
Excellent people to work with
Biological Defense Platform Lead CBRN (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 18, 2017
Opportunities galore

Horrible advancement and Mid-Managers. No Job Security, quietly reduces work force each month at the max minimum so they do not have to report it.
Pros
Peer Support
Cons
Mid-Managers, no career development
Overworked
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 15, 2017
Interesting work. High department turnover. No work life balance - always at work. Hands off management (they are never around when you need them). Favorites received special treatment.
Pros
Interesting work. Engages in Community Service.
Cons
Poor Management, High School Mentality, Poor Staffing Levels, Aggressive Technical Staff
Working for the children
Field Data Collector (FDC) (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLMay 14, 2017
Interesting work and the data gathered on this job was used to help children in low income areas, so it felt good to contribute in some ay to the betterment of childrens' lives.
Pros
Get to work wth children
Cons
Dangerous neighborhoods
Dying and antiquated company
Business Intelligence Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 13, 2017
The company's outlook has been bleak since the federal government has reduced funding

It doesn't know how to attract and keep young talent

It moves as slow as a government agency
Pros
Good work-life balance
Cons
Dying business model
large company in central Ohio, and beyond
HVAC associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 7, 2017
Their calibration shop is second to none. Proper tools for the job. Excellent benefits and retirement package. If you like math and physics, go apply.
Pros
safe, clean work place
Cons
occasional disagreements
Dilbert-esque mismanagement
Sr Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 24, 2017
I was hired at a very competitive rate to help develop scientific instrumentation. Project was ruined by mismanagement- failure to communicate, plan, or take input from the very intelligent and well qualified employees they had on the project. A tragic waste of both taxpayer money and the time and effort of some excellent scientists and engineers, who were often ignored completely.
Pros
Regular hours and overtime rarely required
Cons
incompetent project managers
A great place to work long term
Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIApril 19, 2017
Family oriented, provides additional education to expand your horizons. Great benefits. Company is always willing to help their employees to exceed.
After Thirty Seven Years, I was threated to Retire or take your chances
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Battelle ColumbusApril 14, 2017
I don't miss working for Battelle. I would not go back. After Thirty seven years I as lead to believe, there was no room for me at Battelle. I worked hard, was a dedicated worker. All they could see
is get it done cheaper, by less experienced help.
emotionally, mentally and physically demanding
Laboratory Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 29, 2017
This place is can be a hard place to work, it's physically, emotionally and mentally straining work. Management does not always understand what is happening but the people are working directly with are usually pretty awesome.
Awesome Company
Facility Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAMarch 27, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my job with this company; it was very rewarding. The supervisor was a true pleasure to work for and the work atmosphere was relaxed and friendly.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
Contract company that shut down the location I was at
Too late no lost contract
CBRD Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 24, 2017
Battelle was a great place to work. Wish they wouldn't have lost their contract. I could see that I would have liked to retire there. Wish them well. All good.
Great place to work.
Monitoring Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 20, 2017
I have enjoyed working as a Monitoring Technician. The work conducted is challenging and fulfilling. There is a positive workplace culture everyone seems to get along very well.
Challenging and rewarding job experience
Principal Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 15, 2017
Excellent company and people with great opportunities for experience and advancement. Supportive workplace culture. Great coprporate culture and excellent interactive personnel environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Battelle. Our community is ready to answer.