Battelle

Battelle Employer Reviews

Great Company!
Demilitarization Technician II (Current Employee), Stockton, UTAugust 8, 2013
Battelle was my first job out of college and I don't think I could have asked for a better job! I learned a lot about my field and am walking away, after two years of experience, with some great knowledge.
A great place, too bad it ended abruptly!
Environmental Lab Manager & Field Staff Supervisor (Former Employee), Casa Grande, AZJuly 24, 2013
Pros: great management, well-organized even at corporate level, great communication
Cons: so-so in terms of pay, no free coffee, job security for "projects", did i mention no free coffee?
A great job overall, too bad we got the axe when our federal project was cut on funding. Great managers locally and off-site. Battelle really does put the "project" on the emphasis and it realizes that the workers are the ones who make the company successful. Personal development is heavily emphasized and they give you both the tools and opportunity – more... to be successful. – less
Great experience
Environmental Compliance Intern (Former Employee), Pueblo, COJuly 17, 2013
Interning with Battelle was a great experience to get me started in a professional career. Battelle was a very friendly and outgoing company to work for. Worked environmental compliance as hazardous waste disposal, water quality testing, wildlife response, and SWPPP management.
Great place to work not have a career
Developer III (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 15, 2013
Pros: salary and flexbile work schedule
Cons: education for employees and support and cooperation from colleagues
Salary is at market level, hours are very flexible, investment of education to employees does not exist, cooperation for support and commitement from internal colleagues varies which ultimately prodcues subpar results to stakeholders, intenal users and customers.
Enjoyable company to work for.
(CBRN-D) Subject Matter Expert (SME) (Current Employee), Portsmouth VAJuly 3, 2013
Pros: great benifits
Cons: no job security
Company is based on contracts, and as any job that works off government contracts it can be an unstable security.
Easy going lab work
GC Operator/Back-up Team Lead (Current Employee), Anniston, ALJuly 1, 2013
A typical day at work consist of performing assigned tasks and helping out other co-workers. I learned a vast array of new skills pertaining to a wet chemistry lab. The managers are all kind and fair. My co-worker are really great people, we all get along beautifully. The hardest part of the job is staying busy. This job is currently in closure phase – more... and work flow is low making work assignments few in number. The most enjoyable part of my job are the people. – less
Good place to work. Job is ending due to plant closure..
Environmental Auditor (Current Employee), Stockton, UTJuly 1, 2013
Has been greart place to work for the past 16 years. Our mission here is complete and the plant is closing down.
Horrible. From first to worst
Principal Research Scientist (Current Employee), Aberdeen, MDJune 25, 2013
Pros: interesting work sometimes
Cons: see comments
I can only believe that all the glowing reviews here must have been written by Battelle upper managment, or at the direction of upper managment, because at my office everyone is supressed and fearful. Under new CEO Jerf Wadsworth, Battelle over the last 2 yrs has:

Fired/RIF'd many many employees, with the exception of upper management of course

Begun – more... a campaign of crackdowns on minor policy or guideline infractions so that they will have reasons to fire you if they so choose

Eliminated or drastically reduced benefits including vaca/sick leave, holidays, incentive bonuses, pensions, and 401K

Increased the already massive maze of policies, rules, and procedures to the point where they are a very real hinderence to work

Replaced a culture of cooperation, innovation, and mutual support with one of authoritarian rule, fear, and mistrust

Battelle has gone from first to worst on my resume. – less
Overall good pay and benefits
GC Technician (Former Employee), Anniston, ALJune 20, 2013
Safety oriented company, hardest part of the job was working rotating, 12 hour shifts.
Excellent position
IT Engineer (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJune 5, 2013
Pros: excellent opportunities
Cons: implemented improvements that cost jobs
I worked at this company for six years. Despite this, there was no typical work day. Also, many of my suggestions for change were accepted and implemented. Nearly all improved production. At the risk of appearing self-promotional, I learned many ways to improve production through my own proposals. The management was very good. He shared his intentions – more... and his actions were correct on face value. He remains the best manager I have worked for. There were nearly 300 co-workers. Obviously, there were many I never spoke to. Of those I did, nearly all were easy to work with. A few would, for no apparent reason, make tasks seemingly more difficult than necessary. Working with those who made tasks seemingly more difficult than necessary. Also, the personal sadness of implementing an idea that improved production at the cost of someone’s job. Although this may seem selfish, the most enjoyable part of the job was improving production. – less
Good Company
MILITARY ACTION OFFICER G3/5/7 Pentagon (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJune 2, 2013
Pros: limited communication with management
Cons: no assurances of job security
This is not information I care to provide. Certain amount of work flexibility when needed.
Was a real service to the community to help get rid of all the Chemical Weapons.
Monitoring Tech III/Sr Acams Tech (Former Employee), Anniston, AlabamaMay 16, 2013
I advanced three times over the seven years I worked there. I met alot of interesting people. The job was fairly easy. The hardest part was the shift work, but I got used to it.
Awesome place to work
Protection Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Aberdeen, MDMay 16, 2013
Battelle is an awesome organization to work for. Their progressive approach to meeting the needs of its employees make it a premiere place to work. Flexible schedule allows for employees to take care of work and home.
Bad Managment
Assembly Technician (Former Employee), Hilliard, OHApril 23, 2013
Cons: laid off frequantly
The managment is only concerned about looking good in the eyes of upper levle managment.
they never do what is right for the cliants or the employes
People are great to work with
Senior Office Assistant (Current Employee), Stockton, UTApril 11, 2013
Pros: people, location, pay
Cons: job has come to an end
I have loved working here for Battelle for over the past 8 years. I am sad that the project is over and that the great people that i have meet will all be going our seprate ways.
See below
Senior Research Technician (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 29, 2013
Pros: onsight fitness center
Cons: job security
Has been a stable company.
Flexible workng hours.
Have learned diverse computer systems and analyses.
Management has made some poor decisions in resent years i.e. building facilities that can not be fully utilized.
The hardest and most enjoyable part of my job has been method development and trouble shooting.
fun work place
Demil Technician Three (Current Employee), tooele, utahMarch 28, 2013
fun • Working a twelve hour rotating shift consisting of working days and nightswork place
Good working environment with lots of opportunities
Monitoring Technician 2 (Current Employee), Stockton, UtahMarch 20, 2013
Pros: great pay
Cons: shift work
Battelle is an all around good job. A typical day at work challenging all the ACAMS in the morning and doing the DAAMS runs. Through out the day, pull samples when necessary. Along with any other duties that need to be done for that day. Co- workers are good to work with and management is good. Hardest part of the job is how technical all the data is – more... that we enter, and all of the chain of custody of all the samples – less
Innovative and forward thinking
Vice President and General Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 18, 2013
Battelle is the best company BY FAR for which I worked. Forward thinking organization with unique challenges and opportunities. Wonderful culture of diversity and inclusion. Broad range of experience.
Great people to work with.
Application Engineer (Former Employee), Richland, WAFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: beautiful campus, great people and fun work.
Cons: it's government and funding has flattened and the threat of layoffs is always looming.
This was the best job I ever had both in terms of the people I worked with, the wide variety of work I got to do and the pay.

About Battelle

When you use a copier, hit a golf ball, or listen to a CD, you're using technologies developed by Battelle Memorial Institute. – Read more

Battelle Photos