Battelle Employee Reviews

Professional Environment with interesting work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 11, 2015
Working at Battelle was a wonderful experience. The work was interesting and co-workers very professional. There is an atmosphere of "learning" everywhere at Battelle. If you would like to learn something, there are opportunities for you to do so. They appreciate the self-starting employee and encourage you to grow.
Pros
Encouraging, Professional, Challenging
I don't think this is a legitimate company
data collector (Former Employee) –  flint miJanuary 18, 2015
I was hired by this company. Received all the paperwork, id number and etc. Why did they tell me after 2 months of waiting I didnt pass my background check? Then when I questioned it, the staff told me I would receive a letter stating why. I never received it. Nor would I ever recommended a shady company like this to anyone. I have passed many background checks with previous employers. Extremely unprofessional.
mixed
Technical Position (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2015
You can work on a variety of technical challenges, provided you are willing to put up with the unpredictable job security of contract research. Battelle is an odd amalgam in that the corporate culture can be really good in one area, and very uncomfortable in another.
Pros
pay is competitive, benefits are good, work can be challenging and rewarding
Cons
inconsistent corporate culture, unpredictable job security
Great People and fun interesting jobs to preform.
Crafts Maintenance Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2014
Design new ideas on different topics during the day.
So many really neat things that I am not even aloud to talk about.
Management was very open and helpful.
Co-workers were all different which made a great Think Tank Team.
Hardest part of the job was not talking about work away from work.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that it was different everyday and great accomplishments were provided to the Clients.
Pros
You recived an thank you everyday.
Cons
Parking was a issue.
An enjoyable Career with Battelle
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 12, 2014
Arriving early to work.
Having Breakfast with co-workers before our shift begin.
Answering phones, input data for all New Hires and Termination for staff members.
I learned that integrity and teamwork is very important.
Management was very encouraging by having weekly meetings to keep the group abreast of our progress.
My co-workers were very pleasant to work with.
The hardest part of the job was preparing for annual security inspection.
The most enjoyable part of the job was celebrating our achievements Keeping inform of the Company Department Success by having quarterly group meetings.
Pros
Free lunches, Dept outings, Achievement Rewards, Breaks
Easy going lab work
GC Operator/Back-up Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJuly 1, 2013
A typical day at work consist of performing assigned tasks and helping out other co-workers. I learned a vast array of new skills pertaining to a wet chemistry lab. The managers are all kind and fair. My co-worker are really great people, we all get along beautifully. The hardest part of the job is staying busy. This job is currently in closure phase and work flow is low making work assignments few in number. The most enjoyable part of my job are the people.
Provide safety for all employees, great company to work for.
Monitoring Foreman (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTApril 18, 2012
I Delegate work tasks, I help with special projects to meet our customer needs. We have great employees with extensive training, this helps me make sure that were providing the support we need to the customers. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with all the proceedures and guidelines, and rewriting them. I get a great deal of satisfaction when my co-workers and I accomplish a hard days work.
Pros
the 7 days off in a row
Cons
shift work
Fun and enjoyable
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 9, 2012
Early mornings, come in and prep the day for kids actually. I helped run a S.T.E.M program for under privileged youth through the Battelle Corporation.
I have learned that through Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics you can not only teach kids things but also change lives.
Management was amazing everyone was always hands on, everyone felt as an equal and could come to management with any problems.
The hardest part of work was keeping the children attention.
Most enjoyable was seeing them smile and understand what they were learning.
Pros
being able to make a difference in kids lives
Cons
having to leave after the program was over
Enjoyed working with the CBR Equipment
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 15, 2012
Work day was 8am-5pm with 2 short 15 minute breaks and 1 hour for lunch. Enjoyed learning about the different types of Chemical, Biological and Radiological clothing which is provided for our Service Men and Women defending our Freedom. Management was sufficient, some micro-managing by some. Co-workers were friendly.
Pros
short commute to work.
Cons
short breaks, 3 different tracking systems used to locate gear in warehouse was inacurate.
Great People
Retiree Advocate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 14, 2012
Battelle is a nice place to work and most of the people are very friendly and helpful. Benefits Adminsitration can be both rewarding and challenging, as one deals with all levels of staff with various reasons to contact Benefits.

The hardest part of the job is wishing to grow to into a position utilizing the degree recently earned, but being seen as an admin person after having served in that capacity for 14 years.

The most enjoyable part of the job is experiencing executives who are "real people."
Pros
friendly, helpful coworkers; good benefits; onsite perks - dry cleaners; fitness center; "post office, " logo items store; cafeteria
Cons
sometimes administrative movement can be slow
Good working environment with lots of opportunities
Monitoring Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Stockton, UtahMarch 20, 2013
Battelle is an all around good job. A typical day at work challenging all the ACAMS in the morning and doing the DAAMS runs. Through out the day, pull samples when necessary. Along with any other duties that need to be done for that day. Co- workers are good to work with and management is good. Hardest part of the job is how technical all the data is that we enter, and all of the chain of custody of all the samples
Pros
great pay
Cons
shift work
A great place, too bad it ended abruptly!
Environmental Lab Manager & Field Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZJuly 24, 2013
A great job overall, too bad we got the axe when our federal project was cut on funding. Great managers locally and off-site. Battelle really does put the "project" on the emphasis and it realizes that the workers are the ones who make the company successful. Personal development is heavily emphasized and they give you both the tools and opportunity to be successful.
Pros
Great management, well-organized even at corporate level, great communication
Cons
So-so in terms of pay, no free coffee, job security for "projects", did I mention no free coffee?
Management / Maintenence
CD Monitoring Foreman Demil Tech III (Former Employee) –  Stockton UtahNovember 18, 2013
Managed a crew daily monitoring the air for chemical warfare agents.
I learned ho to operate and maintain vital equipment.
I was able to manage and train employees with friendly and productive results.
My co-worker were productive and very reliable.
The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines that co-insisted with URS and government regulations.
Working with reliable people that you could trust was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Managing good people
25 Years of Service
Retired (Former Employee) –  Richland, WADecember 18, 2013
Retired (Former Employee), Richland, WA – December 18, 2013
Pros: Job Work life was balanced, benefits were excellent, Job Security was present, and Job Culture met Battelle guidelines
Cons: Minimum customer interface.
The Electrical Craft and Instrument Tech crafts merged as one craft.

Electrician: Received job assignments, completed work as assigned.

Instrument Tech-Computer Service was ~ 18 of the 25 years at Battelle. This was the most rewarding and best aligned with my skill base.
Pros
Cons
Minimum customer interface.
typical work day for me
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek Federal CenterJune 12, 2012
I arrive on time always. I have learned alot about people and different personalities. I work well with co workers but do prefer a small office setting. The hardest part of my current job is being patient with customers regardless of how they are coming across in conversation. I do enjoy finding solutions to problems for customers, they are very thankful for help.
Pros
start time/leave time
Cons
too many coworkers that are in eveyones business, drama
Great learning experience
Purchasing Buyer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 12, 2014
Battelle Memorial Institute has many challenging oppotuninties. I learned alot while there, and consider myself up to date on evaluating and understanding the world of Procurement. Great co-workers, some parts of management were available to teach and assist with growth. A typical day at work..... Well, no day was the same. Lots of action!!!.
Pros
Learned a lot of material
Cons
No room for advancement
Structured work place
Instrument Technician IV (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJanuary 26, 2013
On a typical day I perform method develop on new waste samples and perform normal extraction analysis on routine samples to support plant operations. I am responsible for training employees on hazards in the lab, hazards in their day job task and the proper ways of protecting themselves from those hazards using engineering controls, administrative controls and personal protective equipment.
Inconsistent job security, out of touch with employees, poor managing skills
Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 26, 2012
Battelle has many layers of management, which equates to making it extremely difficult to perform your job. Opportunities for advancement and professional training are seriously lacking. Compensation is one of their high points, as well as a flexible work schedule.
Pros
flexible work schedule, compensation
Cons
job security, management, don't value employees
Analytical Chemist
Principal Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 29, 2014
I provided secondary review of laboratory analysis for classified agents. Lead a scientific team in development of study protocol, collection of samples, and data analysis and interpretation. In addition, I was lead for preparing competitive grant application.
Pros
Co-workers were quiet intelligent, and I enjoyed the collaboration.
Cons
I woul have enjoyed more training leadership skills.
I learn skills to take with me to future employment
Computer Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 2, 2015
Co-workers are easy to get along with and it is an easy place to work for. They are very understanding when family issues come up.
Pros
Family oriented, on-site cafeteria and gym
Cons
Upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Battelle. Our community is ready to answer.