Battelle Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and enjoyable
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 9, 2012
Early mornings, come in and prep the day for kids actually. I helped run a S.T.E.M program for under privileged youth through the Battelle Corporation.
I have learned that through Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics you can not only teach kids things but also change lives.
Management was amazing everyone was always hands on, everyone felt as an equal and could come to management with any problems.
The hardest part of work was keeping the children attention.
Most enjoyable was seeing them smile and understand what they were learning.
Pros
being able to make a difference in kids lives
Cons
having to leave after the program was over
Not a bad place to work
Intelligence Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 14, 2013
High level management is obsessed with health and safety. It's quite obnoxious.

But for the most part my managers were very nice and accommodating. Co-workers were pretty good. Didn't experience a whole lot of office politics.
Professional Environment with interesting work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 11, 2015
Working at Battelle was a wonderful experience. The work was interesting and co-workers very professional. There is an atmosphere of "learning" everywhere at Battelle. If you would like to learn something, there are opportunities for you to do so. They appreciate the self-starting employee and encourage you to grow.
Pros
Encouraging, Professional, Challenging
Average
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDOctober 1, 2014
Job Security is what to expect from a government contractor.
benefits
Cons
job security
Battelle = Innovation
System Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2013
Battelle encourages innovation in every aspect of the business not just in their core business of scientific research and development. This includes innovation in back office administrative functions such as in the IT organization.

Management always made it a point to provide the tools necessary to their employees to succeed.

The most difficult part of the job was defiinitely keeping within budgets. Since Battelle is so heavily involved in Federal government contracting, things had to be scaled back to a very large scale due to the sequestration caused by the budget issues our nation faces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was there was always an opportunity to learn new things. I was able to learn about government contracting as well as many aspects of PeopleSoft Financial systems that I did not have the opportunity to work with in the past.
Pros
it was an environment of teamwork and recognition was always given for a job well done.
Cons
staying within the various federal acquisition regulations as we worked on system designs.
Good Company
MILITARY ACTION OFFICER G3/5/7 Pentagon (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 2, 2013
This is not information I care to provide. Certain amount of work flexibility when needed.
Pros
limited communication with management
Cons
no assurances of job security
Understaffed
Procurement Rep (Current Employee) –  ColumbusJanuary 7, 2015
Work load is overwhelming.
Support staff works hard for the needs of the technical staff, however, the technical staff does not appreciate the help they get (for the mot part).
Stressful place to work

Great benefits
Interesting industry and work
Finances are struggling
Enjoyable company to work for.
(CBRN-D) Subject Matter Expert (SME) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth VAJuly 3, 2013
Company is based on contracts, and as any job that works off government contracts it can be an unstable security.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
no job security
Anonomous
Anonomous (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 24, 2015
Trying to discover who they are after the 2008 crash. They are still struggling and constantly changing. That is not bad, however some old people making the changes.
International Research & Development
Sr. Desktop Publisher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 11, 2014
Interesting products have been research. Many are used for military use, FDA, CDC, and NIH approval as well as private company applications and/or FDA approval.
Pros
interesting if you are a scientest
Cons
upper and middle management too heavy. promoted within, not educated/skilled in current position.
Good people, good enviroment, Job stability not so much
Credit Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 19, 2014
Great name recogniton, good people, the job security is very uneasy. Constant layoffs are the only consistent thing going on here.
Pros
work allows family schedule changes to leave when needed, no issues.
Cons
constant layoffs take place, making taking a job here a risk of losing a currently good situation.
Great experience
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAFebruary 6, 2015
My employment here was some time ago, but I really had a good experience. My direct supervisors were excellent and there was lots of room for advancement and learning.
positive work life balance, intelligent coworkers
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Crystal City, VAMay 17, 2015
The Battelle experience is very specific to the client you support and your immediate coworkers. Battelle typically functions in small groups blending analytical, technical, and subject matter experts that works in close coordination with the client.
Innovative and forward thinking
Vice President and General Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 18, 2013
Battelle is the best company BY FAR for which I worked. Forward thinking organization with unique challenges and opportunities. Wonderful culture of diversity and inclusion. Broad range of experience.
Enjoyed working with the CBR Equipment
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 15, 2012
Work day was 8am-5pm with 2 short 15 minute breaks and 1 hour for lunch. Enjoyed learning about the different types of Chemical, Biological and Radiological clothing which is provided for our Service Men and Women defending our Freedom. Management was sufficient, some micro-managing by some. Co-workers were friendly.
Pros
short commute to work.
Cons
short breaks, 3 different tracking systems used to locate gear in warehouse was inacurate.
Good working environment with lots of opportunities
Monitoring Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Stockton, UtahMarch 20, 2013
Battelle is an all around good job. A typical day at work challenging all the ACAMS in the morning and doing the DAAMS runs. Through out the day, pull samples when necessary. Along with any other duties that need to be done for that day. Co- workers are good to work with and management is good. Hardest part of the job is how technical all the data is that we enter, and all of the chain of custody of all the samples
Pros
great pay
Cons
shift work
I don't think this is a legitimate company
data collector (Former Employee) –  flint miJanuary 18, 2015
I was hired by this company. Received all the paperwork, id number and etc. Why did they tell me after 2 months of waiting I didnt pass my background check? Then when I questioned it, the staff told me I would receive a letter stating why. I never received it. Nor would I ever recommended a shady company like this to anyone. I have passed many background checks with previous employers. Extremely unprofessional.
Analytical Chemist
Principal Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 29, 2014
I provided secondary review of laboratory analysis for classified agents. Lead a scientific team in development of study protocol, collection of samples, and data analysis and interpretation. In addition, I was lead for preparing competitive grant application.
Pros
co-workers were quiet intelligent, and i enjoyed the collaboration.
Cons
i woul have enjoyed more training leadership skills.
Nice place to work.
Library Assistant/Assistant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDOctober 23, 2014
The people and management are very pleasant to work with. They maintain a professional atmosphere, but are community oriented.

I learned a great deal about handling and processing documents for a government funded database.
Intellectually Awesome, but Pressure Cooker Environment
Senior Research Scientist/GLP-Study Director (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHSeptember 5, 2013
Battelle was an excellent place to work, and I loved the 11 years that I was there. However, it became difficult to balance work and life in recent years as deep cuts in personnel heaped more work on those of us that were left. As a contract research organization, Battelle had to "do more with less" to make our high containment laboratory (with BSL-3 labs) cost competitive. Turn around times for research and reports became unattainable, and eventually the work environment became very stressful. I worked from a home office but traveled extensively, and thankfully was insulated from office politics. I adored my colleagues and clients, and was very happy with my job. I loved learning something new each regarding science, business, contracts, the government, regulating agencies, etc. each day. However, after carefully weighing my options, I decided to part ways with Battelle to spend time with my small children and look for something that I could perform full time from a home office that required less travel.
Pros
highly intellectually stimulating, hardworking staff, intellectually stimulating, exciting projects
Cons
impossible deadlines, high stress, frequent travel