Battelle

Battelle Employer Reviews

Structured work place
Instrument Technician IV (Current Employee), Anniston, ALJanuary 26, 2013
On a typical day I perform method develop on new waste samples and perform normal extraction analysis on routine samples to support plant operations. I am responsible for training employees on hazards in the lab, hazards in their day job task and the proper ways of protecting themselves from those hazards using engineering controls, administrative controls – more... and personal protective equipment. – less
Great company, poor management
Undisclosed since CIT dept. is so small (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: benefits, pay, flexibility with schedule
Cons: management, backstabbing, lack of training
Their IT (CIT) department used to be a good one. I was there for five years and enjoyed coming to work every day. A reorganization took place in 2010 that forced upper management out - management that had been there over 25 years. CIT grew into a micro managed environment. Resentment grew and turnover went from 3-4 staff leaving per year to over a dozen – more... in a six month period. Management had little or no training for what they were in charge of. On those same lines new applications were pushed out with nothing more than a one hour class for CIT staff, who were then expected to support it. They used false allegations as the basis of write ups and dismissals, forcing those out who they deemed were "trouble." I got fed up and left on my own after being in a meeting where managers were discussing who to dismiss next and what "made up" reason they could use. Overall the company is still a good one, but if you are looking for a job in IT I wish you the best of luck. It's painful. – less
Interesting and challenging work but poor management
Technician Specialist (Former Employee), West Jefferson, OHJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, 401k, interesting work
Cons: poor management, little job security, low moral
I worked at Battelle for over three years when I quit for another job. The work was fun and interesting, and the benefits were not great but were good for the Columbus area. My work schedule was flexible and i could take time off when needed. The people you get to work with are wonderful. Unfortunately, due to poor management, the company is really – more... struggling. Thereis a constant threat and fear by all employees of being laid off at any time, and the last several years they have let go of hundreds of employees each year. Moral is low, and when management was asked in a meeting what they would do about it, we were told that it was our own fault if there was poor moral. The hiring process is a popularity contest, and there is little room for professional growth. Overall, although Battelle is one of the better paying companies in the area, I would not recommend it. I did end up leaving for a job where i have fewer responsibilities, less stress, and get paid 50% higher. – less
Friendly, driven employees in a unique work space
Applied Biology and Aerosol Technology Intern (Current Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 19, 2012
The company uses flex schedule, the employees are all extremely intelligent and driven. Management can be bureaucratic at times but the individuals genuinely care about employees. The work is extremely challenging but the people make it highly enjoyable
at the time...
study coordinator (Former Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 10, 2012
was respected and valued as a good place to work. those opinions are decling within the company due to poor management and poor economy.
World's Largest Contract R&D Facility
Program Manager 1205 / Lead Program Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, OhioNovember 29, 2012
Variety of projects working with large government agencies and fortune 500 industrial companies. Excellent staff with innovative solutions to difficult problems
I was supplied with all required materials and easy access to supervisors for clarification and counseling.
Medical Research Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 27, 2012
Pros: excellent pay and work conditions.
Cons: would have liked to have had social security taken out for future retirement advantage.
I enjoyed everything associated with Battelle and the medical research study on hearing loss in the military that I began and completed.
Corporate Business with multitude of projects
Computer Artist (Current Employee), Columbus, OhioNovember 9, 2012
Pros: nice amount of paid time off
Cons: day to day shuffle to find your own work internal to the organization
There are always interesting projects to work on as long as you stay in contact with the right people.
Strategic Analyst then later helped run a major training contract
Research Scientist, Deputy Program Manager (Former Employee), Arlington, VAOctober 29, 2012
Pros: intense concentration of smart co-workers
Cons: lethargic business practices.
Working at Battelle as a strategic analyst was great. The customers trust you and treat you and your work and opinion with respect and it was probably the highest concentration of really smart people I've ever worked with.

Management was mixed, some great managers, some terrible. But not a bad group to work for overall.

Corporate culture though is – more... lethargic with the business instincts of a soon-to-be extinct Panda. Almost no desire to develop nascent opportunities into new business, and one of the least effective sales organizations I've encountered. Program Managers did nearly all of the business capture and keep the lights on.

The main business strategy was to pretty much wait for the competitors to fail, then move in. – less
Inconsistent job security, out of touch with employees, poor managing skills
Technician (Former Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 26, 2012
Pros: flexible work schedule, compensation
Cons: job security, management, don't value employees
Battelle has many layers of management, which equates to making it extremely difficult to perform your job. Opportunities for advancement and professional training are seriously lacking. Compensation is one of their high points, as well as a flexible work schedule.
very high tech
Full Time, September (Former Employee), Dublin, OHOctober 5, 2012
Pros: different projects
Cons: very hr heavy work enviorment.
high paying, good experience, fun people to work with. Lots of opportunities to work on different projects
Great company to work for.
All-Source Analyst / Targeting Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2012
Few contracts in my field and some nepotism, but otherwise a great company.
Great People
Retiree Advocate (Current Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: friendly, helpful coworkers; good benefits; onsite perks - dry cleaners; fitness center; "post office, " logo items store; cafeteria
Cons: sometimes administrative movement can be slow
Battelle is a nice place to work and most of the people are very friendly and helpful. Benefits Adminsitration can be both rewarding and challenging, as one deals with all levels of staff with various reasons to contact Benefits.

The hardest part of the job is wishing to grow to into a position utilizing the degree recently earned, but being seen as – more... an admin person after having served in that capacity for 14 years.

The most enjoyable part of the job is experiencing executives who are "real people." – less
Battelle
Temporary Pricing Analyst (Current Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2012
Great place to work and everyone that I have worked with has been very nice.
Highly recommend
Senior Technician (Former Employee), West Jefferson, OHAugust 21, 2012
I wish I hadn't left this job. Great research, great staff and management. Huge variety of studies for you to work on.
Enjoyed working with the CBR Equipment
Senior Technician (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 15, 2012
Pros: short commute to work.
Cons: short breaks, 3 different tracking systems used to locate gear in warehouse was inacurate.
Work day was 8am-5pm with 2 short 15 minute breaks and 1 hour for lunch. Enjoyed learning about the different types of Chemical, Biological and Radiological clothing which is provided for our Service Men and Women defending our Freedom. Management was sufficient, some micro-managing by some. Co-workers were friendly.
Fun and enjoyable
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 9, 2012
Pros: being able to make a difference in kids lives
Cons: having to leave after the program was over
Early mornings, come in and prep the day for kids actually. I helped run a S.T.E.M program for under privileged youth through the Battelle Corporation.
I have learned that through Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics you can not only teach kids things but also change lives.
Management was amazing everyone was always hands on, everyone felt – more... as an equal and could come to management with any problems.
The hardest part of work was keeping the children attention.
Most enjoyable was seeing them smile and understand what they were learning. – less
Formerly a great place to work
Sr. Research Scientist (Former Employee), N/AAugust 8, 2012
Pros: great people
Cons: lousy management and benefits.
Sr. Management should be fired. They have grossly mis-managed the organization. For a company that "sells" its scientific talent, they had absolutely no plan or clue to keep those people when the business slowed due to federal contract slowdown. They got lazy and did not pursue private sector customers very well.
Battell was an OK company to work for.
Software Developer (Former Employee), Peoria, AZAugust 6, 2012
Pros: nice people
Cons: benefits
Battelle's benefits were the worse of every company I have worked for.
fun place to work
Conference Coordinator/ Office Assistant (Former Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 1, 2012
employees that are nice to work around. very good communication skills

About Battelle

When you use a copier, hit a golf ball, or listen to a CD, you're using technologies developed by Battelle Memorial Institute. – Read more

Battelle Photos