Battelle Employee Reviews in United States

Great learnings
Senior Researcher (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAOctober 15, 2013
I was a consultant for Battelle and was provided the opportunity to work with large manufacturing operations - helping them become more efficient. The lessons learned during this stage in my life will always stay with me.
Just another day at the satellite site that does Manufacturing
Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 13, 2013
A typical day could involve reviewing an engineering design change, a first article inspection, review of nonconforming material, or just another day where circuit cards and assemblies are assembled.
Pros
opportunities to learn
Cons
typical non-profit contract manufacturer.
A company that cares about its employees
Demil Tech III, Foreman (certified) (Former Employee) –  Stockton, UTSeptember 28, 2013
Great company to work for, they really care about their employees. They have competitive to high wages and great benefits.
Pros
great wages and benefit package, company retirement
Cons
government contracts so there is a limited area to work in.
Good work, good pay, lousy hours
Instrument Technician-Metals Chemist (Former Employee) –  Stockton, UtahSeptember 18, 2013
Company was really good to work for at first, however, over the years, the project got top heavy and became impersonal. They had really good benefits and they were always willing to pay overtime.
Provide support to small office group.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 16, 2013
Provide overall office support to small group. Database maintenance.
Pros
small working office group.
Cons
great working experience but was temporary.
Battelle = Innovation
System Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2013
Battelle encourages innovation in every aspect of the business not just in their core business of scientific research and development. This includes innovation in back office administrative functions such as in the IT organization.

Management always made it a point to provide the tools necessary to their employees to succeed.

The most difficult part of the job was defiinitely keeping within budgets. Since Battelle is so heavily involved in Federal government contracting, things had to be scaled back to a very large scale due to the sequestration caused by the budget issues our nation faces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was there was always an opportunity to learn new things. I was able to learn about government contracting as well as many aspects of PeopleSoft Financial systems that I did not have the opportunity to work with in the past.
Pros
it was an environment of teamwork and recognition was always given for a job well done.
Cons
staying within the various federal acquisition regulations as we worked on system designs.
Washington DC divisions of company are a bad place to work
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2013
The Washington, DC offices are dominated by ex-military types. Verbally abusive managers and favoritism for males and military personnel are the norm. I've seen this behavior and heard about many more examples of it from co-workers. The company is based in Ohio, and from what I've heard, those branches have better management and adherence to the company's core values.

The DC defense contracting branches have been shrinking, even before sequestration. In the last months I was there, I saw tons of riffs. Hopefully a downsizing will lead to improvements in the culture of Battelle's DC offices, but I'm not holding my breath.
Pros
good salary and great benefits (especially if the managers like you)
Cons
military cronyism, sexism, verbal abuse, shrinking opportunities in defense contracting branch
Intellectually Awesome, but Pressure Cooker Environment
Senior Research Scientist/GLP-Study Director (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHSeptember 5, 2013
Battelle was an excellent place to work, and I loved the 11 years that I was there. However, it became difficult to balance work and life in recent years as deep cuts in personnel heaped more work on those of us that were left. As a contract research organization, Battelle had to "do more with less" to make our high containment laboratory (with BSL-3 labs) cost competitive. Turn around times for research and reports became unattainable, and eventually the work environment became very stressful. I worked from a home office but traveled extensively, and thankfully was insulated from office politics. I adored my colleagues and clients, and was very happy with my job. I loved learning something new each regarding science, business, contracts, the government, regulating agencies, etc. each day. However, after carefully weighing my options, I decided to part ways with Battelle to spend time with my small children and look for something that I could perform full time from a home office that required less travel.
Pros
highly intellectually stimulating, hardworking staff, intellectually stimulating, exciting projects
Cons
impossible deadlines, high stress, frequent travel
Professional workplace that provides great opportunities
Production Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 5, 2013
I enjoyed working for Battelle for 15 years. They are a great non-profit company that is innovative and gives back to the community.
Large Contract research environment
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 4, 2013
Variety of clients. Hardworking staff. Day to day variety in activities. Never borning.
Pros
location
Cons
contract dependant
Gained Experience
Reproductive and Developmental Toxicologist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 24, 2013
I had the opportunity to work in a different culture.
I gained experience.
Good technical team and trainees.
Superb line Manager
Pros
i completed the job i was hired to do.
Fast paced productive place to work
Laboratory Senior Chemist (Former Employee) –  Stockton, UTAugust 20, 2013
Arrive to work at 0550, clock in and begin shift change over and discuss what was done, what needed to be done and any problems that occurred over the previous shift. Perform shift pre-op, review emails from mgmt, begin processing for days work. Check the instruments for linearity and optimization. Once samples are delivered begin extractions and other tests required for the sample, set up GC/MS for analysis of sample for required tests with necessary QC, analyze samples, change out gas cylinders when needed, assist in other labs when needed, after analysis verify that data meets established standards before submitting to QC for approval, faxing of results to various departments and the control room for further treatment if necessary or disposal. Scan reports into computer for strorage.
Pros
fast paced environment that required multi-tasking and cross training in other areas
Cons
missing lunch due to masking for chemical releases
Work with the brightest people you've ever met
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioAugust 15, 2013
Excellent benefits, exciting work and leadership opportunities
Awesome company
Industrial Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VAAugust 13, 2013
Only worked with company for a short time. The commute was to hard to manage work/ Life Balance.
benefits
Cons
commute
Great Company!
Demilitarization Technician II (Current Employee) –  Stockton, UTAugust 8, 2013
Battelle was my first job out of college and I don't think I could have asked for a better job! I learned a lot about my field and am walking away, after two years of experience, with some great knowledge.
A great place, too bad it ended abruptly!
Environmental Lab Manager & Field Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZJuly 24, 2013
A great job overall, too bad we got the axe when our federal project was cut on funding. Great managers locally and off-site. Battelle really does put the "project" on the emphasis and it realizes that the workers are the ones who make the company successful. Personal development is heavily emphasized and they give you both the tools and opportunity to be successful.
Pros
great management, well-organized even at corporate level, great communication
Cons
so-so in terms of pay, no free coffee, job security for "projects", did i mention no free coffee?
Great experience
Environmental Compliance Intern (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJuly 17, 2013
Interning with Battelle was a great experience to get me started in a professional career. Battelle was a very friendly and outgoing company to work for. Worked environmental compliance as hazardous waste disposal, water quality testing, wildlife response, and SWPPP management.
Great place to work not have a career
Developer III (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 15, 2013
Salary is at market level, hours are very flexible, investment of education to employees does not exist, cooperation for support and commitement from internal colleagues varies which ultimately prodcues subpar results to stakeholders, intenal users and customers.
Pros
salary and flexbile work schedule
Cons
education for employees and support and cooperation from colleagues
Enjoyable company to work for.
(CBRN-D) Subject Matter Expert (SME) (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth VAJuly 3, 2013
Company is based on contracts, and as any job that works off government contracts it can be an unstable security.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
no job security
Easy going lab work
GC Operator/Back-up Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJuly 1, 2013
A typical day at work consist of performing assigned tasks and helping out other co-workers. I learned a vast array of new skills pertaining to a wet chemistry lab. The managers are all kind and fair. My co-worker are really great people, we all get along beautifully. The hardest part of the job is staying busy. This job is currently in closure phase and work flow is low making work assignments few in number. The most enjoyable part of my job are the people.