Battle Creek Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good money for easy work
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIFebruary 27, 2017
Working with all different kinds of people everyday; cleaning a different school almost every day. Easy and rewording work for good money.
There is no support, it sucked the life right out of me.
Educator (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIAugust 4, 2015
Management is horrible. They allow parents and students to yell at teachers and do nothing. The ONLY enjoyment I got out of my job was to see some of my students succeed. The administration thinks it's ok to let students put their head down and do nothing yet pass them into the next grade. This school sets students up for failure.

The teacher's can't say anything for fear of retribution. NOT a healthy place to work. I've been looking for a other job for 5 years and finally just quit. I have had enough. So have numerous other teachers.

In the past two years, approximately 60 teachers have either quit or retired. The teacher discipline is harsh, hence fear of retribution so the teacher's don't say anything.
Productive, highly motivated,
Noon supervisor, work with kids (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek MIJanuary 16, 2015
I am a people person. I have years of customer service experience. I am easy going and easy to work with. Like to stay busy and enjoy being part of a team.
Pros
staying busy
Cons
hard schedules
Managment
Administrative coordinator (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 11, 2014
Overall great place to work and get a start on your career. 8-5 ok pay great co-workers not to hard of a job it will show you your weakness. All to grow you as a person and a leader
Getting to know the kids
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 24, 2014
Battle Creek Public Schools gave me an opportunity to interact with the children and their parents as well as the community in a very positive way and I would say that was the best part of that job.

The most difficult part of that job were the irregular hours of the day that one would have to work. You would start at 6:00 am and might not get done until 10:00 pm with scattered breaks of hours in between.
Pros
Getting to know the children and their families.
Cons
The hours of the day being broken up.
productive day of working with children
Lead host (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 20, 2014
preparing and prepping breakfast and lunch, helping with solving problem issues. I enjoy helping people and seeing people happy, the hardest part of my job is not making the income I need, but I stay because if really enjoy my co-workers and the atmosphere. there a different challenge everyday to be able to do with so many different attitudes.
Pros
hours and helping co-workers and no weekends
Cons
no health insurance and not enough income
Work at BCPS was rewarding and the coworkers supportive
Bilingual Interoreter (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 15, 2014
Working with the students was rewarding especially when they achieved the goal they were working for. The coworkers are very supportive and helpful. I learned that not everyone wants to learn a new method of doing things and that change can be hard to adapt to for others, but change can be positive and quite rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the day was when a student related to the subject matter and truly understood it.
Pros
interactive activities with students and creative discussions with staff
Cons
short lunchnbreak and the huge staff turnover
Bus driver
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  BCPSMay 17, 2014
U make 11.56 while upper management make 100.000+ 53 of them and they cry were broke aide make even less and are told they will never get a raise this is a money based school system go some where else..
Pros
children
Cons
everything but the children. liarsn cheats 3 west downtown..
typical Day
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMay 6, 2014
I have to arrive a half an hour early to do a pre trip to make sure Bus is safe. So my day starts at 4:30 am arrive to bus garage at 5:35 am
I drive 76 passenger bus and deliver 50 students to High school. Then I have enough time for a restroom break, then I get on my lift bus and take 6-9 Special needs students too DKDC. Arrive back to lot to do post inspections also paper work , mileage student count, ect, have a small break , off to pick up and deliver Math And Science Students back to the High School, Then I do a special needs Route with 3-5 year olds. Which take a little over an hour to finish, I am picking up and dropping off.
Time for Lunch, Then back on the lift Bus to take home the Special needs Children I took to DKDC, post trip and mileage book.
The most enjoyable part of my Day is the Special Children
Pros
Children and having a job that I am good at
Cons
winter weather
Ok
Transportation bus aide (Former Employee) –  Battle creek, miDecember 5, 2013
Enjoyed taking care & helping special need children. Get them to and from school safely.
Pros
...
Cons
Supervisor, upper management
Challenging students, supportive staff
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MINovember 13, 2013
BCPS is an inner-city district with its fair share of difficult students. But it also has its fair share of wonderful teachers that are incredibly dedicated to teaching and nurturing their students.
ok
Lead host (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 17, 2013
I had to make sure the children had there food so they could go outside to play, I learned that you have to make sure the temp, is right and that food is ready for them to eat
Pros
lunch
Cons
N/A
Looking for a fresh start
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJanuary 16, 2013
Unhappy with work environment. Looking for a new challenge.
Overall Good Place to be employed.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 13, 2012
If you are looking for a rewarding job with personal responsibilities than this job is definitely for you. The only problem that I see that this job can become very stressful if the people in management positions forget to listen, forget to be comforters, and forget what it is like to actually teach.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
upper management
Fairly safe work place desirous of improvements
Administrator - High School/Middle Schools (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 21, 2012
The management of the workplace has been attempting to become more collaborative in its approach to making changes for youth.
Pros
free lunch, professional learning communities
Cons
persistently low achievement, budget cuts, programming cuts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Battle Creek Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6