Baxter Healthcare Employee Reviews

Exciting, challenging, fast paced, multi-faceted position
Regional Clinical Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Juan Capistrano, CAJune 8, 2012
I enjoyed my position to be part of Baxter Healthcare Electronic Infusion Systems division. I reported to a region manager and supported 7 sales executives in all phases of the sales cycle. The job was challenging, ever-changing, and I enjoyed forming relationships with all levels of the customer base. The management valued the clinical consultants input and expertise as did the sales representatives. I learned so much in this position, from being adaptive to each customer's and rep's needs - strengths and weaknesses, presentation skills, and building customer relationships. The hardest part of the job was almost 100% travel when my children were young. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to work everyday.
Pros
working for a large corporation independently and as a vital team member, building customer relationships and assisting sales in reaching the sales goals.
Cons
it was difficult to have a good balance between work and family.
Department functions vs corperate view
preclinical resources / Sr. Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Round Lake, ILApril 2, 2015
I loved working for Baxter, unfortunately there was a decision to Let go one of the departments.

I enjoyed the work and the experience with both the techniques i was performing and with the coworkers. we were a tight-knit family. we worked over time and we were not baby sat by our supervisor, to ensure what time we were coming in and leaving. when we worked together the work was completed in a timely manor, and with quality work to back. I don't think any other group could give this much care and time into their work as we did. It didn't matter what time you were needed their you were making a difference. I worked a 9-5 job but occasionally when it was needed i would come in at 6am and be out by 2:30pm.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lay offs
Worst place I have ever worked!
Sample Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Lima OHAugust 25, 2014
Work 10+ hr/ days on Mondays and Saturdays (no overtime pay), lucky to get 40/hrs a week. May as well work in a factory it is so hot in the facility with scrubs, lab coat, and constantly running around. Management is awful, they dont care about anything other than stats, they all sit in the office while the center is so busy . You have to be friends with management to get a promotion, and those who do get them typically do not deserve them, or just are not qualified for them. Pay is not worth the hard work you will put into the place. Do not expect to be able to have a normal life, family and friends time is not allowed here. You work 2 morning shifts, and 3 night shifts. Overall, do not work here!
Pros
non
Cons
everything, pay, hours, management
Challenging work environment, Global exposure and opportunity
Sr. Director (Current Employee) –  Northern IllinoisFebruary 18, 2014
Baxter is a large company with great opportunities and with that comes many challenges. If you are someone who thrives on challenges, this is your company. By stepping up and taking on those challenges you create your own success. Baxter is great for moving around in a division and between divisions. The strategy is sound enough and the performance of the company strong enough to allow you to spend a few years and make a career of Baxter. I know many people who have had very successful careers at Baxter. I recommend you talk to folks on the inside of the unit you are pursuing before you go in to make sure you can assimilate that culture.
Pros
great pay and benefits, commuter support for city dwellers, lots of job mobility
Cons
big company challenges, constant quality system work, not an innovative envirionment
Intense and challenging workplace but with moderate reward
LA Manufac. Development Program Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2014
Baxter is a great place to work if you want to push yourself. Although the job description may start off standard, you can continually add different assignments and responsibilities that can flesh out your knowledge and on-hand experience as soon as you can.

The drawback mostly includes compensation and headcount. Although you can push yourself to round out your career here at Baxter, there may not necessarily be a position that'll fit your new skills and knowledge. Therefore, it could take years before an appropriate position can open up. Along the way, the raises and bonuses are minimal, especially for first line supervisors and below.
Pros
great employees, constant challenges
Cons
stressful workplace, low compensation/rewards
Great corporate culture, not so much if you're in production...
Technician (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILJanuary 16, 2013
It was a great stable job with great benefits and it was definitely a blessing to be able to be working in that kind of company. I was able to learn about a lot of different cultures due to interacting with my coworkers. The high amount of overturn in the management made for a lot of difficult transitions in responsibilities and expectations. I thought my experience there would translate into other healthcare careers but it hasn't proven true yet. It was too bad that it took so long to get a management team that actually seemed to care about the employees. It was a good experience overall.
Pros
large organization with the benefits and opportunities to match, state of the art facilities, very diversified workforce.
Cons
the almighty dollar rules, the production facilities seem to only be worried about production not workers, too difficult to switch career paths
Nice place to work
Plasma Center (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHSeptember 12, 2014
I really liked working at this place and the people were friendly for the most part. The donors got crazy sometimes but overall they were nice, and the benefits were great. Management really seemed to care about the employees and were always willing to help you when it got real busy. All my co-workers were nice, but some were lazy, especially the nurse staff who half of them did nothing but complain. I didn't like the fact that corporate offices didn't give us more rewards, even though we were constantly giving the donors prizes and money. The schedule was also hard to understand and everyone basically works at night. But i really enjoyed working there because you were saving lives.
Pros
nice donors, coworkers and management both were great
Cons
some lazy employees, not enough rewards, hours were tough
Plenty of Opportunities for personal development, but resistance from management
Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJanuary 10, 2014
Baxter Corporate talks about how employees are allowed to own their development. When I've tried to talk with my manager about opportunities I think can help me develop into the engineer I want to be, they get shot down without any attempt at a counter proposal to help me get to the same point. I enjoy the people I work with and the see a lot of manufacturing processes I can learn through work experiences, but there are more things I want to do to improve them that those opportunites are not supported. Being only exposed to one plant within Baxter may not reflect the managment style of Baxter as a whole.
Pros
typical benefits, lots of development opportunities, good work life
Cons
lack of managment support, lots of employee turnover
Excellent company with true vision and concern for the stakeholders it serves
Manager, Healthcare Economics (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILMarch 26, 2014
Baxter was a great company to work for and valued what it did and those that worked for it. It was a fast-paced environment with multiple responsibilities and involved working with all aspects of the company. Our department was lean and covered many aspects of market access and patient support, so often times we did not have the bandwidth to accomplish everything. I worked with a wonderful team of individuals and had great direction and support from management.

One of the biggest challenges was the ongoing travel and the overload of responsibilities for our small team.

I learned a great deal working in so many different aspects of the company, including sales, marketing, client management, program management, patient interaction, the biotech process, and more.
Pros
good people, fun, fast-paced, great benefits, nice perks
Cons
tough travel schedule and sometime limited resources for our small team
Lean job staff, great people, struggling through larger company aquisition
Senior Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 8, 2015
This site is going through the worst of their big company acquisition growing pains. The smaller company of Synovis was acquired by Baxter 3.5 years ago, and since Baxter itself has split into 2 separate companies. That has caused a lot of commotion the site is struggling to overcome. Management seems to be very reactionary instead of preventative, which is frustrating.
The most rewarding part of my job is working with my colleagues whom I enjoy and interact with on a daily basis. The culture and work/life balance is very good and I have great personal relationships with everyone.
Pros
Flexible hours, intriguing products, great colleagues, good benefits package
Cons
Lean staffing, inexperienced management, prioritization conflicts
Exceeding customer expectations
Senior Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 21, 2014
•Directly managed a multi-state territory. Responsibilities included Customer Relations, Budget Development, Expense Management and maintaining FDA Compliance.
•Selected to head up a research and development project. Responsible for directing teammates through the FDA approval process of a home hemodialysis device.
•Developed processes and procedures to guide end users through administration of chronic and home dialysis therapies.
•Provided direct support and oversight to a team of engineers responsible for Operations throughout North American.
•Served as patient point of contact for any home therapy service issues. Worked diligently to ensure the patient experience was positive while a safe treatment was delivered.
•Recognized with the Operational Excellence award, Baxter’s highest honor, for superb performance.
Accomplished medical device representative with long term realtionships
Ohio Valley Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 2, 2014
In today's competitive environment it's more important than ever to be able to quickly develop rapport with customers which leads trusting relationships. I've always believed that if people like you they are more apt to want to do business with you. This isn't a new concept but it's easy to sometimes forget. In my daily routine I am constantly interacting with customers to make sure that their needs are met. It's my goal to exceed the customers expectations and be one step ahead.

I'm looking for an opportunity that will involve a bit less travel (currently at 70%) and the opportunity to make more money.
Memphis facility need better pay rates
cold chain (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 12, 2015
The pay is sad in Memphis, I work in the cold chain department and not enough money for the amount work we do. I heard and seen other facilities make good pay but the Memphis facility doesn't pay good. Its temp service out here that pay more than what Baxter pay coming thru full-time. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for Baxter because you will be disappointed trust me I'm trying to leave myself. They have people that's been there 30 to 40 plus years and barely make $18 a hour, not worth it trust me guys. Horrible management that treat you like kids
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks, no overtime, horrible pay rate
Must be fast with hands..
Filling operator dry side (Current Employee) –  North cove, ncAugust 31, 2015
Working on the sodium chloride line is very fast paced.. bags come down in rows of five on each side with merely a few inches from the next five bags.. must be quick to grab every other one or you will get behind.. breaks are decent.. however management is very poor.. rarely can you find supervisor or get help with any issue that presses at the moment.. must be patient and calm.. it's easy to get frustrated/stressed.. pay is good so are benefits.. if you do not like to work hard this is not the job for you..
Pros
Two paid breaks.
Cons
Poor management, somewhat rude/ill/hate being there coworkers
Consult to Anesthesia on the use and safety of Anesthesia products
Anesthesia Consultant (Current Employee) –  Massachusetts and ConnecticutJanuary 3, 2013
A typical work week is split between spending time in the OR to education and monitor clinicians on the use of inhalation agents to working with MD's and CRNA's inbetween cases to discuss the benefits of Baxter's Anestesia products to patients and clinicians. I have been an official trainer for Baxter for the Northeast and find that working with other Baxter representatives along with working with my manager on regional issues is a strength and an avenue that I would like to persue. I have management in my past but management positions come up very infrequently for employees who will not relocate.
Pros
everyday i learn something new in anesthesia, i am able to help others in my company with anesthesia issues as they arise.
Cons
healthcare is changing and fast>
Productive and Cleanroom workplace
Leader (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 17, 2012
I worked in clean room environment, related with chemical and worked on critical heart valve, in charge of trained new employees with procedures, supported and worked as a team, met shop orders schedule, shared knowledge in team and helped all team succeed together, shared ideas to reduce cost and increase quality. I learned how to lead the team, and the management team helped 100% in production, co-worker felt happy each other.

The hardest part of the job is when they run the test for the valve felt or the valve was not accepted. The most enjoyable part of the jobs that everyone is pround that they can save some people life.
Pros
free lunch, company picnic...
Cons
stocks, share holder, healthcare...
Drone like
Labeling Documentation Sr. Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Roundlake, ILMarch 24, 2015
Management has made it their mission to prevent you from thinking out of the box. Eventually it inhibits you from being able to say anything at all without the fear there will be repercussions for speaking up.
This has been a recent change in the company that has made many employees afraid or uneasy and makes for a miserable environment.
Coworkers are let go and not replaced, and the rest of the team picks up the slack. Or the complete opposite, too many on a team with no focus, or direction.
Pros
It was great about 5 years ago. Discount perks
Cons
limitation to solving issues
Change Management
Senior Clinical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILMarch 12, 2015
I have enjoyed working for Baxter Healthcare for eight years and the company has allowed me to grow in my field of interest.

A typical day at Baxter for a Senior Clinical Consultant in Therapeutics includes a review of regulatory documents and educational material with a half day of meetings to drive team decisions. My co-workers are very intelligent, hard working individuals that have added to my knowledge and experience allowing positive growth in my consultation skills.

The hardest part of the job is the ever changing corporate environment. The most enjoyable part of my job has been the benefits that we are making on the lives of tens of thousands patients across the globe.
Pros
positive impact on global health
Cons
ever changing corporate environment
Tedious but fun. The work is easy, yet hard, and the people are great.
fill line (Former Employee) –  North Cove, NCSeptember 5, 2015
I learned pretty quickly how to keep up and no one got frustrated if you had to ask questions more than once. You learned to orient half liter IV bags, put them in their over wrap and in the carousel, so they could be sealed at a pace of about 25-30 bags a minute. We learned to inspect the bags quickly for folds, mis print, or being sealed incorrectly. We also learned to work other lines with different rules and bigger/smaller bags. We got to see different ways to run a business that all worked.
Best company worked for till today
Sterility Assurance and Chemistry Lab. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santo DomingoJanuary 12, 2015
Very easy going company a typical day as a technician was as follow :
1-Run all programmed test at chemistry Laboratory
2-Run all programmed sterilization test at sterility Laboratory
3-Review all sterilization information of all the lots sterilized during night shift and coordinate with other members of product release system which lots were priority.
4-Coordination and realization of dose mapping or audit if needed or required
5-Training

People at all levels were extremely professional and nice to work with, quality system implemented was easy to follow and approvals were so fast. Great team to be part of.

I learned to be a professional in that company.
Pros
great company to work with and excellent compensation plan