Bay Area Discovery Museum and Center for Childhood Creativity
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is designed to ignite creative thinking in children. 7.5 acres of natural beauty inspires families to engage in a world of possibilities. Framed by the majestic backdrop of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Museum is a space for imaginations to run wild. Every curated detail of our exhibits brings creative thinking to life for all stages of childhood. Navigate winding tunnels to develop physical and intellectual risk-taking skills. Feel the rush of cold-water tide pools that surprise and awaken curiosity. Imagine new worlds by transforming into a spider, a ship captain, or a bridge builder. At every turn is a new opportunity to challenge the boundaries of creativity.
Now we are taking these experiences beyond our physical location. We launched the Center for Childhood Creativity in 2011 to pioneer new research, thought-leadership, and teacher training programs that advance creative thinking in all children—extending our impact beyond the Museum.
Our mission: To ignite and advance creative thinking for all children.
What We Offer
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. In addition to competitive salaries and benefits, we offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 Museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through the Museum’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Director of Marketing & Business Development will develop, implement and manage strategic marketing and communications plans to increase attendance, membership, and brand recognition for the Museum and its Center for Childhood Creativity (CCC) toward the goal of positioning the institution as the thought leader in early childhood development and creativity. In addition, this position will partner with the CEO and Director of the CCC to identify and pursue partnerships that will leverage and monetize the Museum’s reputation and site and the CCC’s content & research capabilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Marketing & Business Development
- Develop comprehensive marketing & business development strategies that promote the Museum and CCC’s vision to become the go-to destination and resource for early childhood learning & creativity. Particular focus on new initiatives of Museum & CCC.
- Lead brand development and strategy for Museum and CCC to ensure consistent brand identity and messaging both internally and externally.
- Identify and build strategic partnerships & co-branding opportunities for Museum & CCC that leverage our location, expertise and research capabilities.
- Introduce and supervise market development initiatives for Museum and CCC to achieve targets for all earned revenue streams, to acquire new & diverse audiences to broaden impact, to sustain existing audiences & members and to raise national profile of Museum and CCC; including events, cross-promotions and targeted outreach to other non-profit and educational institutions and corporations.
- Use data driven analysis, including historical performance, external benchmarks, market conditions, trends and spend-based increases that drive incremental growth to provide perspective, to develop budgets and to set pricing for each component of earned revenue.
- Collaborate with education staff to ensure Museum offerings meet the needs of audience segments and maximize participation.
- Oversee special exhibition strategy for rentals.
- Develop a comprehensive communications plan for Museum and CCC that support all Museum and CCC initiatives.
- Implement communication & marketing efforts that may include, but will not be limited to, discount or incentive programs, promotional events, publications, advertising, PR, social media, target mailings, marketing partnerships and grassroots efforts for the museum (and the CCC as applicable).
- Develop PR strategy for Museum and CCC.
- Oversee the development of Museum communications, including newsletters, collateral, publications, Website, electronic and on-site materials.
- Oversee, create and implement advertising strategy and planning, through print, social and digital media channels, including media selection and timing, negotiation of in-kind media sponsorships, copywriting, graphic design, and evaluation for the Museum and CCC.
- Assess effectiveness of Museum's marketing & communications, membership and publicity programs in achieving strategic goals and provide reports to the Board and staff as necessary utilizing qualitative and quantitative market research.
- Partner with the Director of Development and development team to create and implement effective marketing and communications strategies to meet the Museum’s fundraising goals, including donor communications, event marketing, implementation of corporate media/marketing partnerships, etc.
- Working in partnership with Membership Manager and Director of Development, prepare and lead the implementation of short- and long-range market development and communications plans for membership to ensure achievement of strategic and annual growth in both revenue and number of member households, and in upgrading members to donors.
- Monitor membership sales, renewals and attendance on a regular basis and communicate out appropriately; take necessary actions when sales or attendance projections exceed or miss projections unexpectedly.
- Oversee senior manager of visitor services, graphic designer, marketing and communications coordinator, reservationist, and café.
- Participate as a member of the Leadership Team, contributing to key strategic, policy, culture and management decisions of the Museum.
SKILL REQUREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- College graduate or equivalent, with a minimum of six years of professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute marketing and communications strategies including PR and social media.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute successful business development strategies for existing and new initiatives.
- Ability to work with and communicate effectively with diverse constituencies, including staff at all levels, trustees, donors and Museum visitors & partners.
- Exceptional management, interpersonal, and communication skills and experience.
- Creative, strategic planning abilities and a demonstrated history of team building and working inter-departmentally.
- Knowledge of Bay Area market.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of budget development and management.
- Detail-oriented, PC literate
Comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision offered.
Note to Candidate
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.
Bay Area Discovery Museum
557 McReynolds Rd.
Sausalito, CA 94965
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.