BAY HUMAN SERVICES Employee Reviews

My Experience
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Standish, MINovember 5, 2017
Working for Bay Human Services was very enjoyable. It seemed like things were appropriately balanced to make the residents happy. To me Bay Human Services was better tuned in with their residents than my previous job was. I enjoyed working here.
Always short staffed
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIOctober 9, 2017
If you're looking for 40hrs+ a week this is the job for you! Staff aren't held accountable, so if someone chooses to not show up then be prepared to get mandated. Management does not step in to ease the work load either. The consumers are amazing! They're what keep you holding out through the frustration. This is a nonprofit organization so don't expect pay raises. Overall 5/10 rating.
Pros
no uniform
Cons
little breaks, called in on your day off
Nice place to work...friendly coworkers
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MISeptember 28, 2017
The employee turn over rate is quite high, with the exception of a few of us. Good team of co-workers right now. Rewarding work, not a lot of pay. Worst part of the job is getting stuck over for a 16 or 18 hour shift because somebody doesn't show up for work.
I love the people I take care of and that makes up the wages.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, MISeptember 10, 2017
I love the individuals I take care of which is the only reason why I'm there. I don't make a lot of money, but you can get insurance benefits. The staff and supervisors are really nice, friendly and always willing to help in anyway. You don't make a lot an hour but can work a lot of hours.
Fun working places
Home Health Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Saginaw miAugust 7, 2017
The company I work for is amazing I really love my job I really like taking the time out to help my customers in provider them my services to them it's always a pleasure to come to Work and can see the smiles on their faces
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Best Job Ever!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, MIAugust 7, 2017
I currently work at the Charlotte, New Beech Location. Management is great and very understanding! Bay Human Services seems to genuinely care about their employees and residents.

If you want a rewarding job, where you feel valued, this is the place for you!
Pros
Awesome Residents, Caring Management, lots of pay raises, overtime available ALWAYS
Horrible management
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Gwinn, MIJuly 4, 2017
The hours were great being the employee turnover was off the charts. The pay was horrible for the amount of work and care being done. Pay a bit better and retain employees vs low pay and spend $ training new help. Employees were horrible at communicating home issues and management refused to address or correct issues. Unfortunately it's the clients who end up suffering.
Pros
The residents, being able to help, teach, watch them grow.
Cons
Management, very little room for advancement
Caring
Direct Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIMay 3, 2017
I loved working with the residents and watching them grow. There was never a dull moment when you were working. There were lots of activities and always something to do.
ok
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIApril 24, 2017
overall great job just have to watch coworkers really messy I loved the job and the elders I worked for I just didn't like the coworkers and when it was brought to managers attention she did nothing about it but had a meeting and did not let us address the issues
Pros
great job
Cons
messy co workers
Most enriching job i have ever had
Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Dewitt, MI.February 24, 2017
I have worked for BHS for 8 years. During this time I have seen many staff come and go. I have heard lots of complaints about the pay; as if the company was responsible. They can only compensate with what the state provides. If people feel they are going to get rich in this line of work, they really need to move on. As a manager, I try very hard to hire only those who are in it for the people not the money. It is a very challenging job, but with many rewards. The company tries very hard to come up with incentive ideas and fun things we can do as a team to boost morale. I work in a "behavioral home" and every day I work; I go home with the warmest of feelings that Today I have made a difference in someone's life. Is this job for everyone? certainly not. But if has many rewards beyond financially.
Pros
employee incentives, feeling of completeness, enriching someone's life
Cons
occassional long hours, paperwork
It was ok
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 26, 2017
I loved the atmosphere & the residents and at least 3 co-workers. The home i worked at was ok , managers always talked about they're personal business like , relationship business. Other than that it was cool . I didnt like all the work we had to do for little pay and you have to work for a Year or 2 in order to get a small 20cent raise
Pros
Unlimited meals, traveling with residents, fun
Cons
Little pay, managers, the work
comfortable and enjoyable
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MIJanuary 6, 2017
work days were good never knew what each day was day going to bring. relaxing, enjoyable, comfortable. very nice people who work there and the residents as well.
very fast pace
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MIDecember 12, 2016
complete care for other individuals. Sometimes hard to balance. It takes alot of care, compassion, dedication and love to be able to work here. It is not an easy job.
Pros
free food
Cons
no breaks
Job requires having a huge heart
Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Gwinn, MIOctober 19, 2016
This type of job, no matter who you work for, is all about your heart. The money for the mental health field is just not there. Companies can not pay more than what they are given. The CMH are the people that more or less pay our wages. It depends on who you have as management. The money may not be there but some managers will go above and beyond to help staff with working with their schedules. We have a family type atmosphere in the home I work. No drama. We are all there for each other while giving our residents the best life possible! Sometimes it's not about how much money you make, it's about who's life you can make a difference with. Everyday is a new day of learning on all our parts!!
Pros
Family type atmosphere, smiles, adventures, and love.
Cons
Pay
Questionable business practices
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Gratiot County, MIAugust 30, 2016
The company as a whole has failed to recognize that DSP work requires quality over quantity. There is little to no employee appreciation. Employee turnover is appalling, as there is no incentive to stay with the company. Bay Human Services offers random misplaced incentives to their newer staff while disregarding those who have remained with the company for any length of time. By continuously hiring and training new staff they are wasting consumer money. They teach quality of life efforts but fail to recognize that the best contribution to the supported persons quality of life are long term positive relationships they build with the staff who assist them. They rely to heavily on employee sympathy and compassion without rewarding it. There's a very serious disproportion between hours worked and compensation. The staff training is laughable and the heartbreaking thing is that the residents suffer from these poor upper management mistakes.
Pros
The job can be rewarding if you find yourself in the right place with the right staffing
Cons
Low pay cap, minimal and often skewed opportunity for advancement, low employee appreciation, poor hiring practice, minimal training
Help with daily time management
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJune 25, 2016
Need to know your times to know what will happen during your shift. Its a job that will require a person that is willing to help others and have good work ethic.
Time management, management was good , had good and bad coworkers. The bad co-workers would make the sift seem longer then what it was. Begin able to help those who where in need.
Pros
Food on base was good
Cons
MREs where bad
fun place to work
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIFebruary 26, 2016
Great set of residents and a hard working team of staff. they residents are awesome people and love having people to talk to and to take them out for a day on the town.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
can be mandated to stay up to 18 hours.
Rewarding Job
direct support professional (Former Employee) –  Alma, MINovember 6, 2015
Working at Bay Human Services was a very rewarding job. Assisting others in everyday living and supporting them emotionally and physically. Management is their only problem.
Great Jobs
Behavioral Aide (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MIOctober 29, 2015
On a typical day I will pick up one of the children I work with from school and we will start the day getting some exercise and work on our reading skills. I've learned many skills through this job including patience and teaching skills. The management is sufficient but could have better communication with their employees. Don't see co-workers much apart from in the community and at work meetings. Hardest part of the job is the struggles that you see some of the kids go through. Though when they overcome their struggles, it turns into the most enjoyable part of the job.
adult foster care home
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIOctober 12, 2015
greet residents ask what is the plans or goals for the day cook breakfast, lunch and dinner pass medications and also include in daily activities such as going to bingo parks out to eat etc... I also did showers and paperwork
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No breaks