BAYADA Home Health Care

BAYADA Home Health Care Employee Reviews

Overall good company, but no career advancement opportunities; horrendous pay and benefits
Associate (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJAugust 12, 2014
I have read many of the reviews on here and most seem to be from those actually providing the care. I work in one of the Support Offices (Corporate offices) and I would not recommend working in the Parsippany, NJ office. While I genuinely feel the company cares about its clients, I don't feel it cares about its employees. My office has a "high school" mentality where you need to make sure you "fit in" or else working there will be miserable.

The Directors clearly pay favorites and will only promote those they favor and who are "in" with them. This has resulted in a work environment where the majority of the Division is unhappy...and yet, the Directors and Division Director choose to do nothing about it. They prefer the "head in the sand" approach rather than addressing the real issues. If you show you are unhappy, they will throw you to curb. Bayada practice is to fire someone on the spot without any advance warning. Often times they will just say "you don't fit in" and that "it's best you part ways with Bayada". Talk about professional!

This Division also does not have advancement opportunities. They will only promote those they favor, who are often times people that have been with the company for years. It doesn't matter what degrees you have or prior work experiences, they only care about your time at Bayada. This is actually their business approach, not pure speculation.

Also, this Division is not open to change. They run things the same way they have run them for the past 20+ years, despite employees saying certain changes would improve their work morale. For instance,
  more... it's 2014 and there isn't a need to come into the office during hurricanes and blizzards, but that is something we were told "will NEVER change". And if you do suggest change, they view this as you being unhappy with the company and will kick you to the curb (see above),

The pay and benefits are appalling! Just look at all the reviews and you will see an overall theme that the pay and benefits are low. The entire company does a satisfaction survey where this is always a constant issue, so the President/Owner is aware and yet he doesn't seem to want to address it. We are the people putting the millions in his pocket each year, so for him to continue to reduce pay and raise benefit costs, all while he gets richer, is pretty "scrooge-like". While I think the President/Owner is a decent person, I think the all mighty dollar sometimes clauts his abilities to show compassion to his employees. If the company truly believes its employees are "its greatest asset" then, perhaps, the President/Owner could dip into his pocket and pay people more and provide cheaper benefits.
Pros
great co-workers, with a great sense of comradery
Cons
benefits & pay are appalling; no career advancement; directors play favorites; very "high school"
I love what I do
CNA/HHA (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 20, 2014
As I go to visit my 1st client of the day, I am so excited to see them. I walk in and see that my client is also excited, its Monday morning and i haven't seen them since Friday. She missed me and wanted to know how my weekend was, first I asked her to tell me about her weekend and if she had a chance to see her grand kids. See my client has the early signs of Alzheimer's so she tends to forget how many grandchildren she has, so me asking her about them sometimes refreshes her memory. She enjoys taking about what she remembers about them. I help her get ready for her shower and get her dress, knowing that I'm there with her brings her great joy. She prefers that I make her breakfast rather than her daughter, only because she says I make her "egg in a basket" like she use to make it. I then clean up a little around her house and get her ready to head out to her Day-care where she gets to play bingo and other activities. The two hrs I spent with my client is great but i wish i could spend a little more time with her, she is such a nice person. She always makes me feel important by telling me that she enjoys our time together and without me she just couldn't get the courage to go to her morning routines.

Now its time for me to go to my next client which is not for another hour and it's only takes me to 15 mins to get there. Now I have to figure out what to do for 45 min.
Pros
bayada bucks which can later be traded in for great items from their catalog.
Cons
it could be long periods of time before having to vist clients
Flexible, Good pay
Therapy Field Staff - Home Health (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 6, 2015
Great for people who don't mind having your schedule change suddenly and not always able to plan ahead, need to be adaptable and able to "roll with it". Things can happen, such as client goes to ER before you show up to house, etc. Enjoy most aspects of the job except for extra time calling people to re-schedule/ call doctors when things go wrong, especially when helping cover other people who are on vacation.

Enjoy helping those clients who want to be helped. Overall, most days manageable and reasonable, occasional crazy days such as when someone goes to hospital or go to house and they are not there. Management fantastic, office staff supportive and easy to reach, excellent orientation/training and ease into full case load, paid for team meetings and required training either online or in person to make you better at your job.

Overall, quality company, just nature of home health that has some aspects that are less than desirable, but again nature of home health (status of some homes, clients who smoke, client's who don't follow instructions, non-compliance, sudden schedule changes, etc.)

If missing visits end of week can do audits, guaranteed full time.
Pros
continuing ed, supportive staff, team approach, mileage reimbursement, guaranteed hours, flexible, good compensation
Cons
do your own scheduling, things can change rapidly, extra work at home sometimes with prep for week/creating HEP, calling clients, etc; nature of home health aspects (dirty homes, i.e.), cover large territory
RNs--Deceptive pay. Anti-Hispanic racism from clinical manager in Vermont
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  VermontFebruary 28, 2013
These people misrepresent deliberately how you will be paid and what you will be paid. Beware of the "guarantee" jobs where they guarantee you 10 or 20 visits a week at $$ per visit. When their patient census drops Bayada managers pressure nurses to travel greater and greater distances to "make your guarantee." When they don't have enough nursing work for you, you will be treated like it is somehow your fault that their marketing isn't working.
During orientation, my clinical manager discovered that I was Puerto Rican and thought it was funny to call me a deragatory four-letter word for a Hispanic person, S**c. When I gently pointed out to her that this was not appropriate or professional behavior, she told me "you people" need to get used to it because she was a native Vermonter and "natives were here first." A few weeks later I was told by this manager that I did not fit in on the team because I was not "one of the girls." Didn't know that was a criteria for keeping your job, thought being a good nurse was enough. Then someone vandalized my car doing $3,000 in damage. I got the message that Hispanics were not welcome and I left.
As far as I know this clinical manager is still sitting there, I guess she epitomizes "The Bayada Way".
Pros
tablet computers
Cons
lack of cultural competence. poor marketing. low census in vt
Poor orientation and management
RN (Former Employee) –  Marriottsville, MDAugust 12, 2015
No life/work balance, no orientation program, no goals set for orientees, very difficult to learn from their preceptors. Tried to request changes to help me succeed, management refused. They promised me many things to get me to take the position, then after I accepted the position, they changed everything they told me. They promised certain benefits, then after being hired, I found out the benefits were not the same as promised. I truly wanted to succeed, however, they had no orientation process/goals, and had me as an RN orient with an LPN, whose job was completely different then an RN in the company. Documentation until 3am on first week. They did not show me the computer system, said I had to learn on my own. As a new nurse coming into home health, which they knew, I had less than 2 months orientation with an LPN, not RN, to learn everything. I quit to save my liscense or be audited and charged with medicare fraud by not filling out documents appropiatley from no orientation. The preceptor asked ME what I wanted to do each day, instead of telling me so I could progress. The director would not speak to me in private without the preceptor, would not change the preceptor, then said I should have acheieved all these goals, of which I had no idea because they never told me. I truly wanted to succeed, but they had not set orientation program for a new nurse. They were more interested in gossip all day at the office instead of helping orient me.
Pros
I wanted to be a home health RN
Cons
precepted me with LPN not RN, no orientation goals made clear, horrible benefits, cheap company, gossip, would not listen to the issues I was having in order to help me, "The Bayada Way" I never saw in anyone
HORRIBLE COMPANY
CNA (Former Employee) –  providence, RIMay 2, 2012
I can honestly say that the only way to work for this company is to. . .
1. Dont have any children.
they are spiteful if you need to take time out for your children being sick, or even for vacations with them. once you call out your hours go down.
2. Dont have any type of life.
Bayada works their employee's to the bone. So having a life is not part of the job.
3. Issues with clients.
If you have an issue with a client, they make you work 2 extra weeks. In that time of course the client gets worse. the only way to remove yourself from the situation is for the clinet to request you be removed from the case. it's heart breaking that bayada can work you so hard, and is heartless about your feelings of the case.
4. Picking up shifts. . .
In the begining I would basically be on call for my supervisor. Recieving useless "Bayada Bucks", and being praised by my supervisor. as soon as I wasnt able to work or be at my supervisors beck and call. Within hours her whole demenor changed.
5. lastly job advancement. . .
DONT BOTHER. i applied several times for higher positins, and had been with the company for over 2 years. they will offer you more money but it also demands you be available for 48-72 hrs straight.

Dont do it!!! you dont know what your getting into.
Stay away from the Providence office.
Pros
some of the clients
Cons
pay and supervisor
Entering an invidual's home with an unknown expectiation of what your day will be like. The profession requires superior communication skills.
Home Health Aid (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAApril 28, 2014
A typical day at work as a Bayada Home Health Aid includes providing personal care, hygiene, nutrition, mobility, activities of daily living and supportive services to older adults in the comfort of their home. I intimately provide hands on care to my clients for a small piece of the shift. Primarily, my day consists of providing a social relationship with my clients. We cook, talk and laugh together almost the entire time I am in their home.

Because of this job, I have developed a realization of hard it must be for people to allow me into their home and help care for their intimate health issues. There is a reason why people require a home health aid, whether it be physical, emotional, developmental impairments or just help around the house. But, I come into their home, nonetheless and they trust me right away. I have had to learn how to develop a trusting relationship within 2 minutes of meeting someone in addition to initiating care individually, always with safety in mind.
Pros
direct patient care, initiating decisions, communicating/learning about my clients, meeting my client's families, developing a community health perspective of patient care, good hours
Cons
not always a clean home environment (especially regarding bathrooms), unscheduled calls for shift coverage (middle of the night)
Nice office place but looks may be deceiving depending on your job
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PADecember 21, 2014
This company was awesome at first and they worked with me as I also worked with them and covered call offs. I was seeking a raise considering I was almost through my Master's degree and I am a very hard worker. This process took over 6 months after me speaking to them they were very nonchalant about this. I was reviewed by a worker in the office that had no overview and I received very sub par ratings. I had 99% reliability, I work harder than anyone else that does the same job at the same residence and I never cause problems yet I felt disrespected when I got my review as if they are trying to hold hard workers down. All that I can say is I feel mistreated and I was dissatisfied because I felt this could be a company I would stay with for a while at first but now I am not so sure.
Pros
lunch break was on the clock, easy enrollment process, understandable with time sheets at times
Cons
no official lunch break, unreasonable at times, do not respect their workers, advancement was very limited, will get an earful from supervisor if call off happens due to an emergency, poor communication at times, care plan was not according to actual adl's
excellent communication amongst departments as well as caring for staff's well being as well as just the client's. very organized
Pediatric Home Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 16, 2013
a typical day at work is discussed above in job duties.
what I have learned is ventilator operations and maintenance.as well as how fortunate I am as a mother to have 2 healthy and normal boys.
management is divided into three levels at office level. of course there is corporate levels above them as well. management seemed to get along and work together professionally.
co workers consisted of mostly management at office level. sometimes at a client's home as well. all aspects of co- workers have been respectful and thorough.
Hardest part of the job is not knowing your schedule from one week to next.
most enjoyable part of my job is to make a child's face light up while taking care of them. from the most extreme situation to the most basic. Being able to play with a child at their level and have the kid in me come out as the nurse in me is assessing every bodily and mental function at the same time. yet they think we're just playing!
Pros
office staff try to make it fun on various days with activities for staff.
Cons
multiple phone calls about varying schedule changes every day. not consistant hours each week.
Overworked, underpaid
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Rather not sayDecember 8, 2013
As a CSM, be prepared to do nothing but staffing. I understood coming in that it would be a big part of the job, but it's become the only part of the job. I can get nothing else done and then the hammer comes down because I don't have those other things done. The office politics are ridiculous. People get away with murder and take advantage of others. Backstabbing and conniving and only get a slap on the wrist because "they don't know any better, because they have less experience in the real world." Young people who they want to develop into Directors, but are selfish and ruthless. Burned out in a year, probably less. Benefits are expensive. Way expensive and even more expensive for field staff. Not a bad plan, but at over $10K in premiums a year for a family, we can't afford to get sick, because there is still a deductible. Maybe if the C suite focused on spending less on Awards Weekend (I can't even imagine how many millions that costs annually), they could pass on the savings in healthcare that people could use all year round instead of one weekend a year.
Pros
the culture and the bayada way
Cons
office politics, expensive benefits, major stress
Productive and plenty of work for drivers.
Certified Nurse Assistant/ HHA (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at work for me would be driving to my AM client's home I greet and discuss the care plan how the night went. Set client up in rest room for bathing and grooming. Prepare breaks fast and help client to sitting room. Sometimes I escort clients to doctor's appointment. Then off to my PM client across town. I greet the client and discuss the care pan, I collect the mail then I put out the trash. I accompany the client to the rest room and assist with ADL's. I make client comfortable in bed. I then prepare PM meal and serve the client, light house keeping , vital signs are taken if necessary. I run errands to the supermarket. I have learned how to be humble to people even when they are not humble to me. The management at Bayada Home Health Care is very supportive. They work around your time slot when scheduling clients. The visiting nurse was very nice and educated me on how to better care for each client. The hardest part of the job was leaving my clients to further my education. The most important part of the job was sharing companionship, listening to all their stories of the time of their life.
Pros
Paid milage, holidays
Cons
Not being able to work enough hours
I like working here and the assignments I have had,I would like to see more in the way of support for advancement and wage increase.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2015
My typical day depends on where I have been sent. If it is somewhere that I am familar its easy to step right in and do the duties needed of me. If not they will have someone to help me get acclumated to the position, and it usually only takes a few minutes. I meet the people I will be working with and then the patients. I greet them with a smile get their vitals signs and the reason for their visit and update their information and medications they maybe currently be taking. Ask if there are any complaints and then let them know that their provider will be with them shortly, The hardest part is not being familar with the routine of the office and the most enjoyable part is the compassion I feel knowing i am helping someone feel better.
Pros
the flexibility of working when you want to work, learning from different types of facilities that you have the opportunity to work at, and learn the procedures of each enity
Cons
not getting enough hours or assignments and the pay rate is not in my opinion up to standard.
I've worked here for 5 years, it's give and take...
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NY and Charlotte, NCMarch 9, 2015
The families I worked with have been inspirational and incredibly kind. With Bayada, you get the opportunity to work one-on-one, and have time to be a nurse. Your suggestions are valued and you are appreciated. You are not required to work weekends and the holiday schedule is very flexible. Every nurse I've worked with has been very skilled, friendly, and caring.

I've learned *a lot* of specialized skills, that I am so grateful for.

I am unable to afford the benefits and after working for 5 years without a wage increase was told no to a raise. There is not a lot of job growth available unless you want to become a CM, which seems like a lot of stress for not much reward.

The company prides itself on making their employees feel appreciated. I would feel more appreciated with a cost of living increase and healthcare I can afford than a gift card on Nurse's Week.

I am dedicated to home care, I am dedicated to the families I've worked with. I wish there was more opportunity and Bayada would invest in nurses that take initiative and give back that same level of dedication.
Pros
the families/coworkers are wonderful, truly making a difference as a nurse
Cons
management is manipulative
Bayada profide a good thing
CNA (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 16, 2015
A typical day at Bayada would, Making sure the client had taking their medications, Asst with giving the client a shower and asst with putting clothing on, skin care, hair care. Also do some shopping laundry as needed. For long term client's I give them a bed bath,skin care,hair care.And if using a shower, I will use a hoyer lift as needed.

I have learned every one has special needs and are very different for every one

The management try to find the right people for each home.That is not always a easy job.Also the management are respectful to the employers most of the time. they try to find us work if they can.

My co-workers I do not see. The only time I might see a co-work is when there is a long shift.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with the family members. Because the family member think they can do it better and also think that we do not know what we are doing.

The most enjoyable about my job is, that I know I can help some one when their are in the worst sharp of their live,and I am their for them to help them in any way I can.
Overworked and No worklife Balance-Low Morale
Skilled (Former Employee) –  N.C.April 6, 2012
Co- workers in the office changed frequently. Training was not what I expected.Everyone had been terminated or resigned. Hardest part of job was not having a work life balance.

Most enjoyable part was my last day and knowing that I would soon have a life again.

The company focused more on receiving new clients but could not staff them which didn't make sense. Why not offer to pay your field employees more gas or a higher hourly rate, to keep them so they would be happier and not resign and go to higher paying jobs.

Office Staff, CM's etcc.. to much of a workload and 5 days a week of the same thing leads to a fast burn out.

Personality tests come on, if every organization completed those they would hardly have employees working for them. Work should be based on skill and performance, eventually as you get to know someone the personality will come out.
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
high turn over rate
Joy at work
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MAJune 24, 2013
My day starts early mornings driving all over Cape Cod to get to my patients homes. I give quality care to my patients because we have lots of time to spend with them. My time is well managed, filling out all duties that I am supposed to do. I rarely see my co-workers because we have different schedule and different clients. Our schedule are sent to us online but we need to stop by the office to get paper work. I have a very good work relationship with all my bosses in the office and all of them likes me and my job. My clients love me so much that is hard to leave their houses and the most enjoyable part of this job is when I socialize with them, their relatives, dogs and cats. I really enjoy work with people because I always am a caregiver.
Pros
love to drive my car, eat my lunch, hear loud music, sing and talk on the cell phone. little space in between clients where i can do all this.
Cons
short travel time between clients houses
Direct care providers, i.e. nurses and therapists, were phenomenal, dedicated, caring. Management showed lack of concern for needs of field staff.
RN (Former Employee) –  Pittston, PAAugust 30, 2014
This job has many pros and cons.
Field staff was awesome, knowledgeable, hard-working, dedicated to their clients. I was privileged to witness many gains for clients and found this to be rewarding.
Travel and workloads were however, at times highly stressful and time-consuming, and there is no way field staff received fair compensation.Computerized charting was initially very tedious. But proficiency is possible if you are self-motivated, and it can be beneficial. Orientation of new staff was not good. Management was at best poor and very critical. Productivity was prioritized over quality care Clinical managers demonstrated lack of concern for needs of staff, including safety.
I saw a rapid decline in morale over a short period of time.
Pros
flexibility of scheduling
Cons
huge workload at home, long hours spent on travel and documentation without appropriate compensation.
Quiet and neat place
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GASeptember 3, 2013
As I am an in home care nurse, I always carry my duty with caution and respect. I get a repport from mom, settle my field, assess my client, give medications in G tube since the tube is a G-J tubes, Tx and ABI vest done, am care, reposition client transfered to w/c, feeding in progress while client is watching tv, flushing the J tubes over 3hrs, transfered back to bed. Changed diaper prn, suction prn, Infection Control, Safety maintained, caregiver's education implemented about any subject deems necessary. Bath and sking care, PRM, grooming, make client as comfortable as possible. Documentation, wrap up the day, give repport to caregiver. I enjoy my job because I love what I'm doing. When ever my client is not feeling good, I felt it too. I'll use B-PAP with o2 PRN.
Pros
i choose my own time
Cons
i choose my own timw
I worked in Individual homes ,so there were no ping pong tables or anything .
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2015
A typical Day @work consisted of traveling from home to home ,some days it was very tiresome for the money that i was making .But i loved every minute of it ,just being able to help some one who can no longer do for them selves made me feel really good ,I did not have any co-workers because that is not how it is when you work for a Nursing Agency.You are basically on your own .When any problems arose you would call your supervisor.When you are house .working for any individual Nursing Agency you should always be careful of what you are working into and notify that agency as to what is going on in that house ,when it comes to a dangerous situation or anything for that matter .
Pros
Just being able to help that person and not to have to put with some coworkers and their nonsense
Cons
There were no Breaks except when you were done in that home and no health care of any kind
Review, Career Highlights
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJune 3, 2014
Worked as a GPN for nine and half months. Worked eleven months as a HHA. Recently repeated the NCLEX, and achieved my goal as a registered Licenses Practical Nurse. I understand the importance and success achieved by working as a team player (management/hourly worker). I understand and have successfully achieved both short term and long term goals (for self and companies/corporations). Seeing, working and supporting others, so they could/would achieve their goals and in turn help others achieve their goals equals progress for the many.

Career Highlights
Received Culinary degree in 1997. Pursued Culinary career in the management field working as a food Service manager in: Jail/prisons (North Carolina), Airline catering (Greater Pgh International Airport), Eat N'Park, (assistant, manager, general manager). In 2012 attended GJCTC's (Monroeville Campus), LPN program. Graduated 10/2012. Repeated NCLEX (PN - Nursing License) test several time, achieving my goal as a License Practical Nurse 5/2014.
Pros
flexible hours