Bayhealth Medical Center

Bayhealth Medical Center Employee Reviews

A stable job where I learned a new skill
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Dover, DEMay 25, 2015
Pros: New challenges to face daily.
Cons: Unable to obtain a day shift
On a typical day I managed the switchboard at the hospital. I would route call to the appropriate place. Additionally I would page doctors and nurses in emergency situations. I learned to use a switchboard. Management provided great training. My co-workers were helpful and kind. The hardest part of the job was working the graveyard shift. I am not a night owl. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the inner workings of the communication system in a hospital.
Lovely environment
Patient Care Technician II (Current Employee), Dover, DEMay 15, 2015
Working for Bayhealth has been such a treat. The people are friendly, and the benefit package is amazing. The office where I work is very busy and can get a little overwhelming at times. The patients are also friendly and there is a level of teamwork among the employees that makes working for Bayhealth a pleasant experience.
Wonderful workplace with a great support system for the cancer registry.
Tumor Registrar, Tumor Registry (Former Employee), Dover ,DEApril 24, 2015
Pros: Supportive manager
Cons: No growth
Abstracting was my main function along with preparing for cancer conference and attending. You travel to a different location to work which was a change that helped keep you busy and showed you different types of cases. This is where I learned to abstract it was hard at first but with the help and support of my manager it was an enjoyable job.
Productive work environment.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Dover, DEMarch 20, 2015
Pros: great work incentives
Cons: short lunch times
Peers were easy to get along with and had great experiences with patients. Work environment was clean and organized. A typical day included introducing myself to each patient and asking what needs they may need.
Good People to work with
Patient Transporter (Current Employee), Dover, DEMarch 7, 2015
Pros: lots of interactions
Cons: short breaks
Interactions with patients are the best experience I ever had with this company. My workmates are fun and nice to be with. the work environment keeps me healthy simply by walking all over the hospital as part of my job as a transporter.
Great Work Center.
Switchboard Operator/Receptionist (Current Employee), Milford, DEMarch 6, 2015
Pros: works with you on schedules
Cons: multiple people in one room answering phones or talking
I enjoy working here the coworkers are very friendly and very helpful if I need help.
I am constantly on the phone helping patients,providers, and staff.
Hardest part is that I am always on the phone and I can not understand some of what is said based on language barriors.
Good appearance from the outside---poor organization on the inside
Manager (Former Employee), BayhealthFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: resistant to change, lack of proper organizational structure to support amount of work
Like any large organization there are positives and negatives. Unfortunately your experience with Bayhealth will depend on where you land and in which department. The positives are definitely Bayhealth's pay and benefits-these are very generous for the most part. There are also some really good people, who in spite of the dysfunction, want to make this a better place. I was definitely one of those people when I started to work here.

Some leaders in this organization do seem to have their department functioning very well and want their staff to thrive. Unfortunately, those are the minority.

This is my very candid assessment of Bayhealth overall. It is a very difficult organization to work within and drive positive changes. Upon arrival to orientation, they are vocal up front about all of the initiatives they are implementing, new building projects, AIDET, Planetree, etc.

However, once you arrive to work at your actual location those initiatives become mostly lip service. The senior leadership seems to ignore the real problems of the organization--communication to staff, listening to employee engagement surveys, leading by example, and ultimately making the right choices about key people in key positions. Once again, this does not apply to all of their senior leaders, I certainly felt that some were more engaged than others.

This organization is extremely resistant to change. The various departments are very quick to point fingers and play the blame game rather than work together to implement change. Individual department silos are the norm, putting up unnecessary barriers – more... to getting the work done is also the norm. There is not much teamwork encouraged, developed or fostered across this organization. Accountability for leadership is weak.

I was very disapppointed in my career choice to invest myself into Bayhealth. Ultimately, I chose to resign my managerial position and leave the dysfunction behind.

Best of luck to you if you are seriously considering working for this organization. It may work out well for you if you pick the right spot. For me, there is still a lot of change needed to make it worth the risk. – less
productive day at work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Dover, DEFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: free training
Cons: short breaks, long work hours
A typical day at work is a four to five patient load, working under a charge nurse. I am a fairly new nurse, and i have learned so much, everyone is extremely willing to teach and help me learn. management is great, and very involved with on-boarding. My co-workers are enthusiastic and very competent. the hardest part of the job is when patient needs pile up, but i can always ask for help from my charge nurse and co-workers. the most enjoyable part of the job is being with my patients, advocating for them, and caring for them holistically.
Smaller hospital, great staff
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Dover, DEOctober 2, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: poor staffing
Fun place to work as a nurse, focused on shared governance and improved nursing staff.
In patient sitter (Current Employee), Dover, DESeptember 23, 2014
Pros: good food
Cons: breaks go by fast
A fun atmosphere,
Clean and caring employees
The best management team I've seen
Diverse working environment
Staff Medical Ultrasound (Former Employee), Dover, DEJuly 7, 2014
Work environment very appealing for expansion of education. Advancement limited by military testing system
Only take a job here if you just need a job and keep looking for another one
Level II Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee), Dover, DEApril 12, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: bad department management, work overload, favoritism
Department managers are horrible, play favorites with certain employees and let them get away with low workloads and overloading others.
Staff Computed Tomography Technologist (Current Employee), Dover, DEMarch 16, 2014
The management here is my only issue. My co-workers are easy to get along with.
respiratory workload impossible and DANGEROUS management doesn't care and are mean.
respiratory therapist (Former Employee), respiratory kent general hospitalMarch 11, 2014
Pros: easy drive
Cons: everything else
respiratory department only cares about their budget and not the patient care or safety. typical work load ER, 1A, 3east, 3west and ER would take up all of your time so the other floors were triaged and not seen at all. Not only dangerous for the patient but also for your license to practice.
Enjoyed opportunity to care for patients
Vascular Technologist (Former Employee), Dover, DEJanuary 10, 2014
Enjoyed coming to work and having the opportunity to care for the patients entrusted to my care.
Great place to work with an excellent leadership team.
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee), Dover, DEJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: benefits, leadership
Cons: balance of work load
Bayhealth is one of the fastest growing healthcare facilities in the Delaware/Maryland area. It has a great work environment starting with the leadership team that is devoted to developing high quality leaders in their staff. The team of buyers and purchasing assistance work hard at to ensure that the facility is watching cost and providing the best products for the healthcare facilities. The best part about Bayhealth is working with the departments that we provide customer service to. The purchasing department is devoted to customer service to the hospital and also in working with all the vendors that we percure product from.
Used to be good
Network Analyst/Senior Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee), Dover, DENovember 13, 2013
Typical day hear involves being pulled in 30 different directions and having to due jobs that others do not want to do. The management doesn't really stand up for you, at least in our group.
I have learned a large amount of information while working here.
Friendly, and Fun place to work but litte advancement in my Department.
HR Rep (Current Employee), Milford DENovember 6, 2013
I enjoy my boss, and my team of coworkers but there is not room for advancement right at this time and I'm looking for that and to persue a rewarding career.
Bayhealth is a great place to work
Externship in Operating Room (Former Employee), Dover, DEOctober 29, 2013
I was not given the chance for advancement in the Pharmacy Dept. so I moved on.
Good place to work at for a long time
Materials Management Receiver (Former Employee), Dover,DeJuly 26, 2013
Pros: coworkers
Cons: poor manangement
Decent place to work as long as youare in the right department