Baylor College of Medicine Employee Reviews

Lab Manager/Research Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2017
Typical day is managing the lab, ordering supplies, keeping track of a mouse colony. Management is good and my supervisor and I have a great relationship.
Pros
Great people to work for
Cons
Drive, traffic
Great Working Experience
Staff Recruiter II- Physician Recruitment (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2017
Typical day at work was a busy one. We wore many different hats at our office, from assisting at the front desk, helping issue new ID badges for new employees, and our regular recruitment job. The work culture was great, lots of open communication and meetings with management which kept the office running very smoothly. Management HR was great, outside in the different departments, not so much due to high turn over, due to end of studies, and running out of grant money to operate labs. We had a large pool of students and employees coming from overseas and i truly enjoyed working with International Office to get them visas to eventually come to the USA to study/work.
Pros
College environment
Cons
Working with grant money which eventually runs out
Not an ideal place to work for the creative and innovative.
Sr. Programs Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2017
Not an ideal place to work for the creative and innovative. Stuck in the" This is the way we've always done it" mode. No cross training, everything is still being done manually.
Pros
Nice Co-workers
Cons
Old fashioned management, not technologically advanced.
great place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2017
great place to work for someone starting out in the field there is many opportunities to grow and learn. Most physicians are really into teaching so if there is some thing you would like to learn about just ask and they are willing to assist you.
Pros
free food was just one of the perks
Cons
only paid for 40 hours no matter how many you work
It is what you make of it
Scheduling Specialist, I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 7, 2017
I have been working for Baylor College of Medicine for the past 4 years. I have loved the work of every position I have had. I enjoy interacting with the patients and watching them progress and seeing them get better with the care from our physicians.
Pros
The annual work celebration in January
Cons
Compensation
Not that great
Ophthalmic Technician, Department of Ophthamology (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 2, 2017
Didn't really like it. Pettiness was rampant there. There was no space to grow there. Felt very stagnant there. Benefits were about there. Our team was compensated enough at least in my opinion.
N/a
Purchasing Department-Buyer I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2017
I haven't worked at Baylor in a long time and really cant remember certain things. Management was fine that I remember, it was diverse place to work. Most enjoyable part was the people I worked with
Stimulating environment.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2017
A very stimulating environment. Surrounded by top minds in science and interactions are numerous and beneficial. An upper tier research organization that comes highly recommended.
Customer Service
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2017
This job paid very well for the amount of work we did, management was amazing and full of life. I liked that I worked independently and I wasn't micromanaged. They made sure I was secure in what I was doing before they left me alone.
Enjoyable but fast paced
Scheduling Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2017
Working for a Health Institution like Baylor comes with many awards. If you are an individual that enjoys helping people then this job is the one for you. While many of the people you may encounter are sick that isn't what they want to focus on when you encounter them. It's self rewarding when these patients laugh all because you took the time out to go far beyond the job. While it comes with rewards it also comes with its challenges, the hardest part of the job is watching people in pain that resemble your loved ones. Always remember these people have family that care and if it were your loved ones you would do all that you could to make them feel better.
Pros
Inside recruiting
Cons
Workflow constantly changing
Very professional workplace with high quality work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2017
I was a lab assistant in a big lab and I took care of almost everything in a small group. The experience was very interesting and exciting. I learned a lot of techniques and I have done an excellent job there. People were very professional and kind. Nothing was too hard for me, everything was just right.
A great job, for college students, and grads, alike!
Lab Tech-I/IT-Network Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2017
I work, at BCM, as a Lab Tech and an IT-Network Intern, simultaneously. It was exciting and fun to learn things and being involved in scientific breakthroughs and history. I would to work there, again, someday!
Benefits are great!
Clinical Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2017
The most enjoyable daily activities is to be apart of a teaching facilities. It allows for learning potential.Benefits are great. The toughest part of the job for me is that many of the positions
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no advancement potential
Project intern
Project Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2017
Got to help prepare the anatomy lab for the medical school. Was able to sit in some of the anatomy lecture classes, and was able to help students during their anatomy lab class. Work schedule was flexible.
Great Team Environment
Project Manager, Quality Control (Current Employee) –  HoustonFebruary 27, 2017
A lot of independent work and you get exposed to many different clinical trial protocols. The management in my department is great.
Nothing special
Sponsored Programs Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2017
A typical day at work is busy because PIs are indecisive and change their minds constantly without consideration to the due dates and process. I have learned a lot about myself and figured out time management and patience. Management does not have an open door policy as stated in their policy and it is very political.
Cons
short breaks, Ot, and extensive projects
See review below
Urology Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2017
I found the dept. I worked in to be run inefficiently and revenue produced was not fully disclosed. Raises were far and few between by talking to others that work there in my field.
The doctors are outstanding and I wish they would treat the advanced practice providers with the same respect.
Loved what I did, but not good long term. Great learning experiences.
A nice place to work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2017
Being a college for teaching physicians, they encouraged learning and expanding. Pay was adequate and they have good benefits as well. People were very professional.
great place to work
Ophthalmic Photographer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2017
Work there for many years love the place it's a long commute for me but staff and management are great, you have to pay for parking, but in the TMC is something to expect.
Job title
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77098February 2, 2017
A typical day at Baylor would be taking and making in and outgoing calls, scheduling appointments to see the doctor, also using t-metric phone systems. I assist in training new hires and I work in a very diverse setting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baylor College of Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval