Baylor College of Medicine Employee Reviews

BCM PhD program
PhD Researcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Pros:
Great school
amazing facilities

Cons:
Not a typical university vibe: rice campus is much better
Life is good if your PI is good, if not you're stuck under a bad manager for 5-6 years
Learning environment
AP Manager and AP Acct Sr (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2018
Fast paste always work to be done. Processing invoices .Process employee reimbursements. Vetting vendors to be approved to do business. Verifying vendor TIN and SSN using IRS TIN matching system.Prepare 1099 Misc . Resolving vendor discrepancies . Research vendor accounts. Processing multiple payment methods( EFT, ACH, Credit cards, Wire transfer and different currency) and recall payments.

Opportunity to learn multiple systems for reporting and paperless system solution. Different system for reporting on G/L and budget. Advance on technology with payable system.

Management fair.

Teamwork , transparency ; a diverse group of people.

Hardest part is to ensure adequate staff when unexpected call in ; so that productivity will maintain and knowing when the stopping point of the day.

Growth opportunity, change and working with others. Never a dull moment.
Pros
Learning opportunity, enpowerment ability to grow
Cons
Recent lay offs; retirement benefits
Excellent Job
Laboratory Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  One Baylor PLaza, Houston, Texas 77030January 2, 2018
Busy and Educational
Animal Behavior, Enrichment, Conditioning.
Helpful and encouraging People.
Professional
End of Studies
Getting to Know exceptional people from other Countries
Pros
Great Benefits and educational opportunities
Cons
Having to leave the job
good job
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 29, 2017
goodjob, i worked for 8 years and really liked it. they are very familiy oriented.lots of work but no micromanagement. it was a good experience foe me
great experience to get research work done
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2017
The department is very supportive and it is a well structured environment for researchers. Intelligent people work with passion. However, the pay is too low (anyway, overall pay for researchers are low nationwide)
Productive and rewarding place to work
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2017
Baylor truly is a great company to work for. They have some really great benefits, paid vacations, sick time available to everyone. You form some amazing bonds with those you work with.
Great Place to Work!
Unit Secretary / Admin Support Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2017
I totally loved this job! I was only there a couple of years, and within a year, I had advanced from my original position to another position. Once my position changed, management changed as well, and for some reason the manager/employee relationship wasn't the best with resulted in me being laid off.
Data Warehouse Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 8, 2017
Nice work environment. Leadership respectful and professional.
I do recommend it to a friend. I've learned a lot over here on the technical and personal side.
Unprofessional Place
Health Information Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2017
I interned at the facility for school and my supervisor was great. But my supervisor boss was horrible. I will not recommend this place to anyone for intern or other wise.
Great Institution poor leadership
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2017
Baylor attracts the best and brightest in academia, however that does not spell great leaders. People positioned in leadership only push for their own agendas and not consider the overall affect it has on the department. There is zero employee engagement and they are working with a core of old school staff.
Pros
Work with intelligent contributors to science
Cons
Leadership needs major overhaul
Productive workplace
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2017
I work for an amazing company. I have the most amazing doctors that actually care about the patients and their employees. I would recommend anyone and everyone to work here.
Wonderful people, challenging and meaningful work
TEAM LEADER, BENEFITS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 26, 2017
BCM was very good to me. I enjoyed my time there and learned so much during my tenure.

The workplace culture is very professional, and science/academic driven. Everyone wants to do their very best everyday, and it is contagious! For me, it was a wonderful work environment.
Pros
long hours, but invested in technology at all levels
Cons
limited educational budgets; no training opportunities
Professional work environment
STANDARDIZE PATIENT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 24, 2017
I was hired as an independent contractor and their assignments often conflicted with my part-time work with the the McGovern Medical School so I had to pass on many assignements.
good place to work.
n/a (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2017
its a good place to work. I remember meeting people I enjoyed working with. The area was not too bad either, it was a few minutes away from my apartment
This was not a paid job rather a volunteer job in LBJ
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2017
I had to go to LBJ Hospital and learn about patient care in United states of America. I learned how doctors, nurses and other related professionals work to provide medical services to community.
Pros
Cons
Parking
Great
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2017
😁.... Awesome place to work.... great co-workers that work as a team...great atmosphere and environment....love the fast pace clinic ..... great place to retire from
Challenge
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2017
This job opportunity took me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to challenge myself. Once working with the company I overcame my fears and did well in my dept. I think a challenge is always a good thing.
Quick paced, not for the faint of heart who are looking for a relaxed environment.
Scheduling Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2017
This workplace gives back as much as you put in. Management could be better. In recent years it has headed in a more 'corporate' direction and it is less focused on the people and more on the numbers.
Pros
Great health insurance
Cons
micro management
great with getting a phd
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2017
PhD is fine, better compensation (stipend) than most other places, especially considering cost of living in Houston. Everything else depends on your PI.

Don't do a postdoc, here or anywhere else.
Nice place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2017
Baylor is a nice place to work but some departments are much better than others and the culture can vary amongst them. The pay is much less than other organizations in the Medical Center but they offer a decent benefits package.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baylor College of Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Baylor College of Medicine Reviews by Location