Baylor University

Baylor University Employee Reviews

a workplace that encourages learning and continued training
AUDIO VISUAL RESOURCE CURATOR (Current Employee) –  Hooper-Schaefer Fine Arts Building, Waco, TXJanuary 9, 2014
Baylor has good benefits. I have many good hardworking co-workers. I've met many fine people while working at Baylor.

I'm usually at my desk before 8 am. If I have a reason to "bank" hours, I can eat in 30 minutes. I leave campus at 5 pm. I sometimes give makeup exams or show videos for our Art Historians. By 4 most academic activities, and student assistants, are over and gone. I do not work over 40 hours/week without supervisors approval.

I keep supplies stocked, machines backed up and maintenance and software for the 9 MAC computers that we use in the Art Department Resource Center. Computers are updated regularly and we do not have many problems with the Macintosh computers. Allbritton Art Institute is very generous. I attend Visual Resources Association national conference every year.

I've enjoyed Karaoke, Bar-B-Qs, Christmas parties and lunches with all the Department. I attend plays put on by the theatre department and concerts put on by the music department. They are always very good.

Baylor is a very pleasant place to work.

I think the chance to take courses outside my field of formal education.
Pros
being encouraged to take seminars and attend conferences.
Cons
being isolated in a small department.
Worked as an alarm technician and on home theater installment team
Athletic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 28, 2012
A typical day of work starts at 7:30 in the morning. After the work manager assigns us our workload for the day we load up material from the company shop and head out to the job site. Most days I would be working in newly constructed houses that have been freshly painted installing the alarm system and phone panel on the inside of the house. Other days I may be assigned to run wire for newly constructed houses before the walls and insulation are in. Occasionally I would have to install a home theater system along with a coworker. All the jobs require physical labor, good teamwork and concentration to fulfill your day in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was the physical aspect because some days the physical demands were high, almost like working out at a gym, where your body is sore the next morning. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing how happy customers are after installing a home theater system.
Pros
required high school degree, family owned
Cons
hours varied
Productive and satisfying work with great facilities
Tutor- Tutor (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 9, 2013
Every day I worked, I would meet with my student athlete in a private study room with or in the study commons. We would go over any lectures that had been taught or specific questions that the student had. This job taught me how to think quickly, organize information clearly for others, and listen to my students' needs. I did not work closely with other tutors, and I communicated with management via email and scheduled meetings. The management was very flexible with meeting time and was willing to provide any materials I felt necessary. The hardest part of my job was preparing for sessions because I needed to go over a large amount of information to make sure I was prepared for any question the student might offer. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the progress my students made in their classes.
Pros
nice facilities, flexible hours
Cons
low pay, few hours per week
Fun place to work, flexible work hours
Student-Athlete Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 1, 2013
A typical day at work in the LiveBrave Program consisted of working with students of a high school in Bellmead, TX to prepare them for the TAKS and STAAR tests. I learned how to be adaptable to each student's style of learning and to motivate them to prepare accordingly for their test. There was little over sight in this program with a supervisor present only sporadically. Co-workers were fellow students of varying undergraduate majors. The hardest part of the job was when there were no students to tutor because of absences from a class. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility of the work hours. If I had too much homework or a major test to study for, I was only required to notify a supervisor.
Pros
flexible hours, fun place to work, frequent holidays during academic school year
Cons
short breaks, not enough pay
Hours are acceptable for graduates
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 16, 2014
Typically the work is to assist professors with their papers or projects.

I worked odd hours, which is what I preferred. This is because as soon as I get an assignment, I would try to complete the work to get it out of the way.

I learned how research papers are written and read as well as how to work around conflicting schedules with other members and professors.

The hardest part of the job was getting a detailed explanation of what was expected of my work, so there were often many revisions that were needed.

I enjoyed the strange hours the most. Sometimes I didn't have to work a week or two because there was nothing to be done, but then there were weeks I would spend 30-40 hours on a project that needed to be done before the week was done.
Productive and Encouraging
Interior Design Studio Tech (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 4, 2014
I had no idea how much I would enjoy my time at Baylor, even though I wasn't doing what I really wanted. The folks I worked for and with respected my dreams and encouraged me to pursue them, even if it took me away from the Baylor family.
My boss was a little hard for me to agree with all the time as she was very outspoken about her political beliefs. I would simply smile and nod as I prefer a work place where these are not spoken about.
My co workers were by far the best part of my job. They would daily help me with problems and critique me, quickly and kindly when I was doing something wrong.
Pros
benefits, discount on just about everything in waco and on campus
Cons
no free athletic tickets
Professional Review
Marketing and Technology Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waco, TexasMarch 4, 2012
A highly creative, detailed-oriented, marketing/research, communications and multi-talented media professional with extensive experience in public relations, media relations, economic development, graphic design, sales, strategic planning and program development with exceptional collaborative and interpersonal skills. Proven effectiveness in identifying, analyzing and implementing successful marketing strategies that embraces the mission of the organization. An enthusiastic team player, with a positive attitude who possess leadership qualities.
Pros
great multi-tasker, goal oriented, creative and a hard-worker
My favorite job in college
ADVANCED STUDENT TECHNOLOGY COMPUTING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 16, 2012
If you are social, a little geeky or nerdy and know the basics of computer technology, this will be an awesome experience.
A typical day will consist of spending your time in the computer lab helping students with redundant questions about connecting to the campus WAN, making sure the printers are functional and basic quires about computer programs. Once you have these down, you can get a lot of your homework done in between tasks. The people you work with are fun to be around and you meet a lot of people during the period you work there.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
initially have to work grave shifts
Baylo
Finance Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 28, 2016
underwriting credit facilities (including RBLs), trading lines, and treasury products for oil and gas companies
• Create financial models in Microsoft Excel in order to forecast the financial position of borrowers in the loan portfolio
• Build valuation/cash flow models to assess and determine total value of proved reserves for RBLs
• Perform financial and credit analyses to determine appropriate obligor and facility risk ratings
• Author credit memorandums and present views to management for approval
• Established fundamental understanding of the oil
Rewarding Position
Student -Athlete Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 7, 2014
I scheduled and provided tutoring sessions with student-athletes. It was certainly an at-your-own-pace job which, as an undergraduate student, is what I needed. Management was understanding and accommodating. The hardest part of the job was scheduling arrangements, but once that was resolved everything else ran smoothly. On the other hand, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the looks of achievement on my students' faces once they understood material and having it translate into higher test scores.
Great Workplace
Manager, ERA (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 10, 2012
Managed the operations for existing and new research enterprise information systems while maintaining system-wide tools, mitigating risk, and ensuring scalability to achieve senior level goals. Directed multiple departments regarding the policies, and operations for online research content. Performed analysis of existing and new technology demand and processes for faculty, staff, and students. Defined policy improvements to mitigate internal and external risks affecting organizational operations.
Working with students in a Christian environment.
Secretary, Student Retention (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXNovember 13, 2015
Helped athletes and conditionally admitted students with course selection, evaluation of student progress in classes and monitored student workers. Knowledge of co-workers on advising students and willingness to help them be successful academically and socially. Challenging to write letters notifying students of probation. Enjoyed watching students achieve their academic goals.
Pros
Ability to take courses.
Cons
Time crunch during registration.
Fun working enviroment with a lot of challenges.
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMarch 31, 2015
I normally started out picking up deposit from the dining halls and taking them to the bank for deposits. Second, I delivered mail and packages around the campus. I learned better social skills and communications skills. My management team was very fair, firm, and professional. My co-workers were fun to be around and were all diligent. The hardest part of the job was jumping in and out of the van. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and interacting with the students.
Baylor is a place with a passion for the mission.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Marketing CommunicationsOctober 23, 2012
Baylor University offers great opportunities: professional development, beautiful facilities, fair compensation and outstanding benefits. The majority of staff are loyal to the institution and the mission to train students to make a difference in the world after they graduate. Turnover is very low; people stay with the university for many years.
Pros
discounted lunches, affordable health premiums, tuition remission
Excellent
Research Associate, Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 5, 2012
Perhaps the best place I've ever worked. Efficient, compassionate, they really take care of you. A lot of places talk about having a "family" approach to the workplace but they actually do it.

I had sufficient academic freedom and flexibility. Co-workers, for the most part, were great. My only concern was the lack of female and minority folks in higher level positions.
Pros
very nice cafeterias, parking, and other benefits
A fun filled experience for student athletes as well as an educational
Director of Youth Camp/Youth Coach (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 20, 2015
All coaches, current athletes, and ex players involved enjoy giving back to the youth especially doing the thing that they love.To witness the energy that the young athletes possess actually lights a fire throughout the entire camp.
Pros
Classroom time, sponsored lunches, active participation bt all
Cons
Not enough time
Incredible place to work.
Managing Editor, ET&P Journal (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXMarch 4, 2015
Baylor is an ideal place to work. If you land a job at Baylor, consider yourself very fortunate. It can be difficult to get a job at Baylor because there are so many applicants for each job. The only reason I am looking for other employment is because I am moving out of Waco.
Pros
excellent benefits; work environment; discount at onsite restaurants/cafeterias
Productive and busy
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waco,TxFebruary 8, 2013
Typical day review recipies ....meet and greet students , prep food ,and serving over 2000 student a day.In the mist of all providing the counts of all students. Co-workers wasnt so friendly, management was decent .Hardest part no teamwork, enjoyable seeing and interacting with all different type of people.
Pros
all holidays off
Cons
no advancement, no growth
Great on Campus Job
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXNovember 17, 2015
Working as an Office Assistant at Baylor is a great job for a student worker. There is a lot of flexibility in scheduling. It is an awesome environment in which you get to interact with residents and make new friends in the community.
Pros
Flexible hours. homework is able to be completed at this time
Cons
Late nights, compensation is minimum wage
Christian environment. Excellent pay.
Insurance Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXNovember 23, 2014
Lack of training for the position. Lack of interaction with Department Head. No Team focus. Department head did not have a clear understanding of the demands of the job with regard to it being a part time position.
Pros
dining hall privileges. excellent direct supervisor.
Cons
mismanagement of the department.

4.7