Baystate Health Employee Reviews

productive
ADMISSION NURSE (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, MAOctober 15, 2017
In my years at BFMC I have enjoyed working with the staff and patients. It has been a challenging job but rewarding. I have seen many changes within the hospital and many administrators come and go.
great doctors, safe enviroment
Guest Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 13, 2017
Baystate health is one of the best hospitals in the state. Each position has great team work, plus they provide us with a very safe environment. Noting negative to say besides the fact that I wish they provided per diem employees with some benefits because they work just as hard has full-time/ part time employees.
Pros
good team work
Cons
per Diem receives no benifits
Decent place to work
Environmental Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 9, 2017
The hardest part about the job is cleaning while its busy with visitors. Workplace culture is diverse and Baystate prides itself on diversity they are also very involved with the community.
Loved working here
Self Pay Collector/ Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 2, 2017
I began at Baystate as a temp for there newly started free care department. I enjoyed talking and helping people get help with their insurance issues. After working at this for three years, I transferred to the E.R. as a patient registrar.
Pros
interacting with people
Cons
hectic
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 28, 2017
Well rounded experience. Their group of Social Workers are an amazing group. Extremely helpful to individuals and families supporting them through traumatic times
Large hospital with room for advancement
Polysomnography Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 26, 2017
Out patient sleep lab located in the hospital, on the job training with
registration requirements. Work week consists of 3, 12 hour shifts although not necessarily consecutive. Work with complex patients and intervention modalities
Pros
3 day work week, quiet environment
Cons
long hours, rotating schedule
Access Services
Access Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MASeptember 26, 2017
I've worked in Access Services for a little over a year now, and I am almost willing to cut off a limb to get out. Everyone that works there is miserable. I've had panic attacks at work and been sick, because it's like any other call center: you're devalued, you're "the idiot on the phone" (even/especially to clinical staff), and management is, in my experience, inept at best. I would quit, but we all need to make a living. I'm biding my time until another opportunity comes along. There are different lines there, and I've heard pretty much the same from other lines. It's not fun being talked at and being in forced conversations all day with people. No one is happy there. There aren't enough providers to help everyone. People are mad at you because the clinical staff refuses to speak with them and/or call them back for DAYS. It's bad patient care and although it's not your fault, you get the blame (from your manager, supervisor, and the patient). Lots of turnover and for good reason. Oh, and if you aren't the manager or supervisors' favorite, forget transferring departments after you hit your first year of service. They'll stonewall you so quick, especially since they're understaffed, because no one wants to work there. Oh, and they're going to ask you to work through lunch and stay longer or come in early and punish you for using the bathroom, because humans should be "chained to their desks." I was literally told that in my first week.
Pros
you can get a sooner appointment if someone in the clinical office actually DOES like you
Cons
constantly being blamed for others' mistakes, lots of stress, no incentives to do your job well, lots of unnecessary stress and change
Great
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 18, 2017
Working in the hospital was a great experience, mainly because I was around so many educated professionals and hard working individuals. Motivated me to excel.
good place to work
Flex Nurse (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 8, 2017
Being on the flex team, you go throughout the hospital. Your able to use all the skills you learned in nursing school and many more. It is a constant changing environment and able to work with great people. Being on the flex team you get to learn about all the different people you work with. The hardest part of the job is that you don't know where you are going until you come in or having to change assignments midshift because you are needed somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to work with different nurses at different specialities and your also get to meet different patients with many different illnesses. It helps you keep up with all your skills you learned in school and many more.
Horrible
Administrative Assistant/ Patient Service Rep I (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 6, 2017
Worked for this organization for over 5 years slave work to be mistreated by management , they have no compassion for parents with kids and needing to make certain arrangements. You don't get paid vacations its all your personal time.
It's a great place to work if you love the constant "do I have a job today" feeling
Health Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  BaystateSeptember 4, 2017
This company is full of upper management that is very top heavy. They receive the best salaries, benefits and bonuses. Yet the bottom line (the actual work force) is understafed and under supported. There is no such thing as seniority any longer either, management treats you the same whether youve been on the job 20 days or 20 years. They will change your schedule on a whim. The health benefits are a joke. There is no moral throughout the system because this company let's you know that you are expendable. If you aren't willing to change, they will just get someone in that will for lesser pay. I am not proud to say that I am a Baystate employee. I am just a number to them just like patients are a $ sign to them.
Pros
Heat in the winter, air conditioning in summer
Cons
No breaks, poor health insurance, poor management
Excellent
Registerd Medical Assistant Urogyn Gyn-Oncology (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 24, 2017
Excellent, room for improvement although challenging due to competition. Great benefits. Management and MD's are amazing. Fun and professional staff. Great service to the patients.
Clinical Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  BaystateAugust 17, 2017
After having worked in multiple units at Baystate as a nurse, I can honestly say that the staff I encountered were friendly. However, I feel that they could do better with management.
Fast-paced and hectic
SPANISH MEDICAL INTERPRETER (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 16, 2017
As a medical interpreter, you are needed at different times in different locations. Though we are schedule based, schedules change constantly. Therefore, you may be asked to interpret in another department or location entirely. Also, what is interpreted can be quite difficult if not mentally strenuous. You must be able to separate yourself from your job if you wish to maintain sanity. As for the managers of the department, I gave them a 3 due to how they address or lack of for that matter, certain situations as well as their staff. Are they completely unfair? Absolutely not, I would lie by saying they are. I have had them be quite fair in several situations, but as an overall, they would need improvement. I love my job because of the exposure I receive and the knowledge I obtain. It is a fun, energy driven environment and work flow, but one where you can learn a lot and meet incredible people, meaning, you can network if you play your cards right, do your job (and not just the bare minimum), etc. Recognition is given and obtained only if you do well and take your job seriously. Managers of the department do acknowledge hard work and determination and show gratitude for someone who strives for excellence. Example: I am a very competitive worker/co-worker and my managers took note of that, when the time came to evaluate, they wanted to skip a level in order to continue moving up the career ladder.
Great place
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 15, 2017
Baystate is a great place to work at everyone is so friendly and helpful. the staff and patients are nice and I love giving back to the Springfield community.
O.R. Anesthesia Technician
Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 11, 2017
While working at Baystate for the anesthesia department I have learned a lot about how the operating room operates and the inner most workings of the well oiled machine that it is. I have learned how to use O.R equipment and how to maintenance some individual machines. I have learned the common procedures that occurring in many of the different areas of the hospital.
job security
Janitorial (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 5, 2017
doesn't pay good, manangment horrible,dont treat employees fair,no organization,products used to clean are horrible. the best part is break and when its time to go home,
The most enjoyable part of my job and the hardest part
Phlebotomist II In-patient Phlebotomy (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 3, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping patients all over the hospital. Making sure they feel comfortable and understand what role I play in my position. The hardest part of my job is drawing blood on combative patients making sure that the environment is safe for both myself and the patient .
Good place depending on your department
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 27, 2017
I worked in two departments one was great the other was tough. The paid time off includes sick time, holidays and vacations it is about 30 days a year. The health insurance is a rip off.
Pros
Benefit
Cons
Corporate setting
Large Integrated Heath System
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 26, 2017
Busy and full of interesting opportunities. A great place to learn new professional fields and many different cultures. The hardest part of the job is justifying non-patient care needs when the priority is patient care and doing more with less funding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baystate Health. Our community is ready to answer.