Baystate Health

Baystate Health Employer Reviews

Productive and challenging work environment.
Custodian (Former Employee), Springfield, MASeptember 15, 2013
On a typical day I would clean patient rooms. I learned that working in the E.R is not an easy task. Management had a lot of favoritism and incosideration. My co-workers were amazing and trained me well. Hardest part of the job was seeing people die, and the most enjoyable part was helping them through a tough time.
Opportunity for growth
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee), Springfield, MASeptember 1, 2013
Pros: working in a teaching hospital
Cons: short staffing and not enought time to spend with each patient
I learned a lot my first year at Baystate Medical center. Being a teaching hospital, it was a great place to start. I learned a lot my first year out. Prioritizing, working as a team and leadership. My co workers were all on the same level as myself and we were all learning together and there was a lot of support. The most difficult part of the job – more... was short staffing. – less
Professional and Productive
Unit Coordinator/IV Technician (Former Employee), MAAugust 29, 2013
Pros: very well run facility.
Cons: working nights
Unit Coordinator in the ICU and IV Tech in all of the critical care units. A very well run hospital, the teams I worked with were very professional and there was always excellent focus on patient care.
Positive working environment.
PCT/OA/Scheduler (Current Employee), Springfield, MAAugust 6, 2013
Working in Baystate, means that you will always learn new things and meet interesting people. There is always something going on to keep you on your toes, and to keep you very busy.
family orientated and comminity wise place to work
Collection Rep 1 (Current Employee), Springfield, MAJuly 22, 2013
Pros: work shops
Cons: n/a
Baystate medical center is very flexible with the hours. I come in at 6.30 leave 3.00 satisfied with my work.
Fast Paced Work Enviroment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Springfield, MAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: all the staff was very supportive of one another.
A typical day of work included management of between 4-6 patients, daily medication administration, dressing changes, IV management, knowledge of wound vacs, g-tubes, j-tubes, and chest tubes. Also lab review, constant contact with the physicians, and proper charting and documentation.
Baystate Medical Center is an ever changing and growing institution facing its challenges in today's economy.
Operations Associate III (Former Employee), Springfield, MAJune 18, 2013
Pros: 12.5 hour shifts, tuition reimbursment, dynamic spiritual services department, excellent dental and vision insurance, excellent resident and intern program
Cons: management, 12.5 hour shifts
I am grateful for my years of experience at Baystate Medical Center. The hospital teems with diverse, multicultural staff in all departments which makes the work experience an exciting and ever changing opportunity to learn and grow.
fair employer
HIV Case Manager/Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Springfield, MAMay 16, 2013
the best part of this employment was the help and knowledge that I would provide for patients no matter what went on in office
Great Company to work for
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Greenfield, MAApril 21, 2013
Great people to work with, great benefits, busy with customers taking vital signs, triage, prior authorizations, surgical scheduling, wound care
A caring and nurturing atmosphere where the job became an adventure
Surgical Technologist / CSP Technician (Former Employee), Springfield, MAApril 18, 2013
Pros: learning experience
Cons: shift changes/ 12hours
I always love this hospital because it is a teaching hospital. You learn about medicine in a different way. Its the diversity of the staff that brings different cultures, methods and technology together for the benefit of the infirmed.
Fast paced medical-telemetry unit
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Springfield, MAFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: high stress
On any given day at work I am responsible for the care of 5-7 patients. It is a very fast-paced environment and we care for a wide variety of illnesses. I have groomed my time management skills, and increased my knowledge of many illnesses and diseases. I have the best co-workers, we make a great team! The most difficult part of the job is that some – more... days you don't feel like you really get to know your patients because you are so busy! But the best part of the job is knowing that you make a difference in someone's stay at the hospital. – less
Fast Pace and lot's of work to do in 8hrs
Practice Associate 1 (Current Employee), Springfield, MAFebruary 18, 2013
I love my job. I love working with patients and helping them with their health care needs.
Excellent work enviroment!
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Ware MAJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: great benefits, great doctors.
Cons: moved to ct and had to give resignation.
This was my 1st job as a Medical Assistant right after I graduated. I learned alot on the job from the MA's and doctor's there. I was able to give injections, draw blood, prepared patients for the doc's, etc.
Decent Part-time job
Food Service Aide (Former Employee), Greenfield, MADecember 27, 2012
Good place to work, good compensation.

Managment is however far from understanding not to mention they will leave you hanging for several weeks on most matters. Communication is not 1st priority here.
Secured Building with Free Parking
Free Care/ Medicaid Rep/ Data Entry (Former Employee), Springfield Ma.December 18, 2012
Pros: good benefits and overtime
Upon arrival, I greet my coworkers, then turn on my computer and work off 7 worklists throughout the day, highest dollar amounts were priority. Billed HSN primary, wrote off accounts to BHS Program. Various office duties throughout the day. Trained on programs that were only pertinent to our position.
Fulfilling
Environmental Service Aide (Former Employee), Greenfield, MANovember 30, 2012
There are so many departments but overall this is a great place to work.
worked independently
Personal Care Attendant (Current Employee), clints addressNovember 27, 2012
Pros: not tied to one place
Cons: never knew how long the job would last
variety of clients ...worked in their homes and met some nice people
good place to work
Driver (Current Employee), Springfield, MAOctober 15, 2012
in my job the only thing i had learn was the company way of pax tracking after 40 yrs in people transporting
this was very easy
Some managers are better than others, some are much worse
Specialist (Former Employee), Springfield, MAOctober 15, 2012
Pros: health benefits are good, jobs are generally secure
Cons: disengaged management, slim chance of advancing, so-so pay
I've worked under more than one manager here so I speak from experience.

There are lots of good mangers at Baystate and there are also lots of not so good managers, but there are also some flat-out bad ones. The trouble is that Baystate senior management (VP's, etc.) do not really care about anything besides the budget, including anyone beyond the – more... 6th floor of 280 Chestnut. The result is that all managers are free to behave as they like, so long as they don't go over budget.

My criticism is not of managers who drive their employees hard to produce more, to improve a function, to better the department or Baystate in general, or even drive their employees hard so that the manager hits their "variable comp" (the non-profit equivalent of a bonus) - - that motivation is completely rational. Even the most selfish of reasons such as variable comp concerns permits the staff to focus on a goal.

Unfortunately there are mangers who just plain enjoy intimidating staff for no reason other than because they can. As we all know there are people who enjoy power above all else, and it's not unusual for these individuals to gravitate towards mangement. But even a manager on an ego trip poses no real risk... until that manager realizes that they can act without consequence. I have seen one manager go so far as to require his staff throw parties in his honor. When I mentioned to him that I thought this was beneath him he just laughed and replied, "Baystate lets me do whatever I want because I know where all the bodies are burried." Incredible but true.

The senior mangement knows of these bad apples but chooses to focus their attention on the budget. I realize this budget is a large hole they need to plug, but at some point senior management needs to realize the fact that employees are not an expense but are an asset. When senior management ignores bad mangers they are wasting the asset that is the Baystate workforce.

I know the job market is tight, but be very, very cautious of the manager who you will be working under. Odds are the manager you get is going to be ok, but if your first impression is that the manager is just a bit "creepy," you might want to trust your instincts. – less
luv what I do
Medical Assistant II (Former Employee), Springfield, MASeptember 13, 2012
Pros: direct pt care, great pay/benefits
Cons: can't help/fix everyone every time:(
Great place to work, all my medical assistant skills were utilized. I learned patients is truly a vertue:) Best part of the job was helping patients through difficult situations. Worst part of job not being treated fairly by management.