Baystate Health Employee Reviews

Great Hospital with a strong managment team
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 1, 2017
My experience with Baystate Hospital was very positive. The management is supportive and they handled many challenges very well. The hospital is very large and has a strong presence in the Western MA. Marketplace. I learned a lot of different management skills at Baystate- they are a top down organization which has not been my experience in the past. This can be challenging to work in.
Pros
Great advancement
Cons
Employees and managment do not have a voice
Started off a great place to work
medical transcriptionist/front desk secretary (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 23, 2017
When I first started off it was a great place to work but be careful where you transfer out to and do your homework about the department and ask lots of questions because I transferred to a department that was a bunch of young kids that just goofed off all the time and I got stuck doing all the work while they got all the credit for it
Pros
If you work in a good department its a great place to work
Cons
If you dont get good team players working with you it makes your day difficult
Good teamwork on my unit, many units understaffed so floating is a weekly occurance
RNII Neuroscience Unit (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 22, 2017
Nurse retention is poor, r/t too many patients per nurse. Management is worried most about PT turnover than nurse burnout or patient safety. When I left they had cut back on the number of tech only 3 for 36 PTs, and most patients on my unit required help to BR and/or total care.
Good pay, hard to advance
Medical Technologist, Generalist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 15, 2017
the compensation is toward the top scale that i've seen thus far. however, it is very hard to advance up the career ladder if you are not the "chosen few"
Nursing Care
Triage Coordinator/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 10, 2017
Level 1 High risk women's evaluation unit, LDRP, NICU. Acuity of care high risk, professional nursing worked with residents and physicians. Community involved, home care for families. Learning new equipment, procedures, great learning experiences.
Paternalistic Culture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 5, 2017
People seem to stay forever here, which can be a good or a bad thing since this leaves little to no opportunity for career growth. They do offer a good salary and benefits compensation package.
Pros
Salary and Benefits Compensation Package
Cons
Paternalistic culture. Not enough opportunity for career growth.
Very busy environment
Emergency Department Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 2, 2017
Everyday is different in the ER. Not much opportunity for counseling. Various types of patients with differing mental health abnormalities. Opportunities for counseling are slim.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Cons
Disorganized
Good place to work & has gym & incentives to rack your health.
Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 1, 2017
Baystate Medical Center is great place to work. They pay well. My only complaint is, most of the issues can be with managements ego. Some management can be hard to get along with.
Pros
pays well
Cons
Management can be tough to get along with.
Good Place to work
Administrative Coordinator/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 24, 2017
Baystate is a great place to work with good benefits. They promote preventative medicine and offer positive ways to maintain good health. I have gained a lot of experience by working here.
Great company
Schedule Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 23, 2017
I enjoy my job and what I do, it is like one big family and always opportunities to grow within the health care field hear at baystate. Best decision i made was to come work for this company.
Pros
hour lunches and amazing benefits

Want to know more about Baystate Health?

Ask a question
Could be an engaging work environment.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, MAMarch 15, 2017
The industry is suffering right now and it shows. Government reimbursements are difficult to obtain and this hurts everyone. The result of this impacts staffing levels and workable budgets while facing challenges to satisfy our customers and employees.
In decline
RN (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 11, 2017
Have worked as an RN here for 25+ years in multiple settings. Pros teaching environment make for lots of clinical growth opportunities and coworker relationships are great. Biggest con is that it remains a topheavy ship with scads of VPs and directors receiving a lions share of salaries and benefits while line staff are overworked and frankly stressed and frightened about job security. It is clear from the latest round of layoffs that you are expendable no matter your performance and the benefits are dwindling....health insurance choices, slim as they are, direct all employees to BH majority owned HNE, which has become costly and restrictive. A sad state for what was once THE place to work.
I love home care rehab. I think being able to help someone recover in their own home is a special experience. I get a lot of satisfaction from my job!
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 22, 2017
I have many years of experience in different settings. I love homecare physical therapy. It provides the opportunity to help a person in the environment that they feel the most comfortable.
Pros
Work/life balance. Flexible scheduling. Supportive management.
Cons
Occasional work at home
great work environment with plenty to learn.
Patient Transport Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 20, 2017
its expected that you make sure that all staff have assignments to complete and assigned pagers. You also make sure that all staff have all the supplies that they might need accessible to them to complete there job. The management team is absolutely awesome. Hardest part of the job is keeping up with the high volumes of request and data entry that is expected.
Getting worse every year
MLT (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 18, 2017
They do not provide departments with enough positions to have adequate staffing. Many departments are understaffed with overwhelmed employees and error rates are rising. They spend money on the wrong things, such as offsite construction for new departments, only to move departments back a couple years later. Millions wasted. Very poor financial management and the inadequate staffing affects patient care.
Teamwork
Patient Care Technician I (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 18, 2017
As a team we work very well together. The patients always receive the care they deserve and need. It is a very fast paced unit with a very tight time schedule but we all work together and get the job done.
Pros
You can use your badge to pay for items
Cons
Short staffed
Great place to work.
Level 2 Emergency Department Custodian (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 17, 2017
Lots of room to move up. A lot of different paths one can take here. Job security!! All different types of jobs and hours/shifts make it a great place to find what fits you
excellent
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 12, 2017
I have been with baystate over 5 years I enjoy working for the company. The best part of my job are the patients and co-workers, and the most challanging is feeling like our skill are not utilized well.
Large hospital often employees forgotton in the welm of things
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 4, 2017
Family like atmosphere on individual units otherwise too large of a facility. Treat employees ok since they have become bigger employee needs are not always taken into consideration. Hardest part of the job is working 12 hour shifts
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 30, 2017
Baystate Health has been a wonderful place to work. The employees are always friendly and willing to work together. From newborns to the elderly, the patients are my favorite part about my career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baystate Health. Our community is ready to answer.