BBVA Employee Reviews

Corporate version of an assisted living community
VP (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2016
BBVA as a whole struggles to retain young talent. The firm does not have a robust platform for career development. As a result, promoting from within is rare. Professionals under the age of 40 do not stay for more than two years. A lack of competitive compensation packages and absence of a positive work environment are common reasons why young employees leave the firm. Despite constant complaints to senior management and HR, there are very few resources implemented to address this problem - which leads me to believe whether the firm truly considers this a problem.
Cons
lousy corporate perks and employee benefits
Opportunities to grow.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Caguas, PRJanuary 12, 2017
At Atento de PR, Inc. there are many opportunities to grow within the company, employees get acknowledged for outstanding work performance. Here I learned so much about providing excellent customer service.
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Great Teamwork Environment!!!
Staffmark New Hire Contractor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 7, 2016
BBVA Compass is a huge company and offer stable employment all over the world. The managers are easy to work with and the work is not difficult. It's a fun place to work with great co workers..
Cons
Salary's are not competitive with the marker, commuting
My BBVA Experience
Intern in Sales of Corporate Equity Derivatives (Former Employee) –  Madrid, IADecember 8, 2015
After I graduated in Economics I decided to study an International Master in Business Administration program in Madrid, which provided me an overview of the different business fields. While studying this program I also took the chance of doing a six month internship in one of the largest banks of Spain. Based in the headquarters of this international bank, inside the treasury, my department was responsible for providing liquidity to the largest companies of the country by selling equity financial products. During this time I was responsible for controlling the equity stock we had as collateral for the contracts alive in the department, generating daily prices for different stock options and developing weekly research about international companies. This experience made me highly motivated to follow my professional career among this awesome industry
Great company with great values
Senior Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2012
I loved the benefits and laser focus on sales and strategies. The online division supported the branches by sending them all leads generated from calls. That was helpful as part of training because you will work real leads with different variables.
Pros
great benefits, great training, best sales experience.
Cons
short budget to financial anything innovating.
Credit Quality Review Manager, Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2015
I consider BBVA to be a great place to work. Employee benefits and work life balance is important. The bank has a strong brand name in Texas.
Excellent Institution
SVP of Business Banking Division (Former Employee) –  San JuanSeptember 15, 2015
I had the opportunity to start and develop in the area of ​​commercial credit, showing various positions from credit analyst to senior vice president of risk and business banking. My main experience was in the area of ​​credit risk, responsible for evaluating all proposals for loans of small, medium and large enterprises and adopt those that were within the margin borrower delegate 7 moderate figures. Served as secretary of the executive committee responsible for submitting credit and loans to the Board of Directors and Credit Committee headquarters in Bilbao, Spain. Finally I led the Business Banking division responsible for the management of loans for small and medium businesses and responsible to Increase Increase of deposit portfolio and the sale of other products and services of the institution. Despite the complicated economic environment and tighter credit policies, the unit kept eighty-five percent of budgeted targets.

I was member of the Management of BBVA Group, responsible, among others, sharing and promote the institutional culture in the bank.

The institution dismissed me as part of the reorganization process, eventually to sale the bank in PR.
Pros
Exellent Institution with a strong bank structure
Cons
Difficult final process of dismissal.
Good Overall
Vice President Commercial Lending (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJanuary 5, 2016
attend meeting, meet customers try and get deals approved, 2 Managers in socal manage with the process of micro. These mgrs are very hard to work for.
Pros
Changing
Cons
Changing
Traveling extensively throughout Latin America meeting with high networth individuals
Vice President Private Banking for Latin America (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 19, 2012
On the phone with clients from different Latin American countries advising them on financial opportunities
I learned a lot about international financial markets and about emerging markets in general
Management was a team of very experienced private bankers from whom I learned a lot
Co workers were also several private bankers each specialised in several markets and also the back office co workers who were a indispensable team
The hardest part of the job was to keep clients content about their profits
The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to several countries in te region
Pros
traveling
Cons
changing financial market conditions
Good Place
Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2015
Good Place to work, however project start and end dates may be different than initially anticipated. Great Management, no micromanagement during the typical workday. Learn Spanish.
Difficult Operating Environment
Contributor (Former Employee) –  Houston / BirminghamSeptember 23, 2014
Lack of product focus, all functions expected to be generalists of all products. Banking discipline / science and knowledge behind how to study / analyze the details of specific products appears to have some knowledge loss over the last number of years. Project selection not always based on revenue / profit returns, often politics have a stronger weight towards project selection vs. Financial ratio analysis of the projects. Upper leadership mostly foreign nationals whom lead often without getting a diversity of opinions from one and 2 downs before making decisions.
Pros
extremely high tech, leading edge technologies
Cons
not always optimized in how to use technologies to apply to value creation
Workplace with lots of potential for further development if the right management culture is developed.
Investment Executive (Former Employee) –  PRJuly 15, 2014
Pros
Flexibility.
Cons
Budget constraints.
Mortgage processing
Mortgage Processor III (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 22, 2014
My day starts with urgent phone calls and emails from an MBO, in house customer, or client who is desperately in need of getting what they need. I have learned to take a deep breath and face each situation with grace and flexibility, and give my customers the best of me, and the best of my time. My co-workers are great to work with because we work in a "team" driven environment. We have come to believe that "peace" and "unity" among a work force, coupled with a driven mind set to accomplish a task, avails much.

Timelines and quotas tend to cause stress, and most of the time, this is daily. I have determined to stay ahead, by being proactive with my approach to customers and getting in touch with them as soon as possible with the items that that will need to be accomplished throughout our process. I enjoy getting to know the people that I come in contact with. I desire to help them, and serving is what I do best.
Pros
Jeans can be worn to work at all times in this office.
Gestor Hipotecario (Former Employee) –  PRJanuary 1, 2014
Solid employer and an outrageoulsy caring management staff supervising over achieving and very proud employees. There was always a promise of advancement for hard workers.
Very unproductive workplace
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRAugust 18, 2013
Company rolls daily as a normal broker dealer, but because it was so small anything new in regards at products or new services we were the last in line. Limiting the company in products and services, so that bring up discomfort and bad situations between corporate management and the rest of the officers. very sad place to work!
Pros
Cons
everything
Good place to learn and grow
Finance (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasFebruary 21, 2015
A large financial institution where you can learn and further your skills in the banking field. An ideal company to start your career and learn the basics. Good exposure to international banking systems and clients.
Internship (Former Employee) –  MAdridSeptember 11, 2012
I had a good relationship with my co-workers.
My typical day consisted reviewing the different format of the different orders needed. I also helped checking the migration of the new corporate web tool.
The hardest part of the job was understanding the different type of orders and formats.
The most enjoyable part was being able to work with different countries and the high percentage of worked that implied different people and departments.
Great Corporate culture values
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 21, 2013
I enjoy growing my career in this company and learn great corporate values and ethical approach to daily basis work.
productive place.
External loan Adjuster or general collector. (Former Employee) –  San Juan, Puerto RicoJanuary 11, 2012
Good place to work. Excellent place with a lot of areas to learn and grow up. The employees have a good knowledges about your areas.
Pros
free lunches and car expenses.
Cons
healthcare and short breakes.
Great Teamwork and and ideal education.
Fixed Income & Equity Settlements Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2013
A great enviorment and good people. The management team mentored and cultivated the staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBVA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3